Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'll keep saying it - big things ahead for you if you stay consistent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I swear the last few days just trying to keep up with reading everyone's reports have been more intense and demanding than marathon training :P

Thanks so much for the lovely comments here, it means a huge amount!
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Love this report!! You ran that marathon superbly, really well done! I have to admit I am incredibly jealous of your marathon time ��

Hadn't realized that leg pain had returned during it, you kept the head nicely.

And it was lovely to meet you and your OH in McGrattan's, great running chats!
    Thanks V! I'm super jealous of a whole bunch of your other times so it's mutual :pac: It was great meeting you too.
    El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff! Delighted to see you got what you deserved, your attitude and discipline towards the training and racing is spot on so no suprise about it.
    Ah thank you! Sure I enjoyed the training so that makes it easy, but I was lucky on the day that nothing went wrong. Appreciate the encouragement :)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    I agree...but is that a few times now that you have been a bit non plussed after races? Maybe you need tougher goals to aim for!! :pac:
    Ha, this was definitely tough enough this time around! Ah I don't know, DCM went better than I ever dreamed it would so I'm definitely happy with the result. But in a weird way I was prouder of completing the first 20 mile training run. I don't know, I'm just being weird... :P
    OOnegative wrote: »
    I sooooo got the wrong log with my deleted post, you done MASSIVELY well and no surprise really. Great to talk to you in McGrattans.
    Lol I figured that when I saw your original comment! Thanks a million B, really enjoyed meeting you after :)
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I just knew you'd have a great day. You're so quietly consistent and you'd put in a great training block. Fantastic result. Hope the leg is feeling better. Congratulations. You're a marathoner.
    Thank you!! We both are :) It's a nice feeling alright. Even nicer being able to think about all sorts of other plans now :D Leg is better but I have a weird foot thing now, maybe my foot is trying to copy yours :confused:

aquinn wrote: »
    Fantastic, well done.
    Thanks A! I'm extremely envious of your speediness so I'll have to keep working ;) Hope you've recovered from the trek around the city on Sunday.
    ariana` wrote: »
    I've just read your report for the second time as i got interrupted earlier - what a super report and marathon debut - really brilliant. Well done, it's much deserved.
    Thanks E. I'm so grateful to you for all your advice, encouragement and kindness along the way.
    Wow - thats some race - running 9's & 9:30's at the start to 8.30's to finish with a 7.30. Superb race management - very well done.
    Thank you! All thanks to the wisdom of boards :D
    I'll keep saying it - big things ahead for you if you stay consistent!
    Ha, thanks P! Don't think I'll be setting the world on fire somehow but I plan to stay consistent alright. Your back was pointed out to me briefly in McGrattan's but when I turned around again you were gone, so never got to say hi! Sounds like you had a strenuous enough day yourself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Terrific debut - very significant achievement. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Very well done eyrie, what a fantastic first marathon, you should be really proud. I'm not one bit surprised at that result :) Looking forward to reading about all the PBs you're bound to get in shorter distances over the next few weeks and months:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Your race report sounds very familiar! We had such a similar experience and time :P As described before, your training was so consistent, I'm delighted it went so well for you.
    eyrie wrote: »

My only regret from the whole day is not meeting more of my fellow novices. I missed the meet up in the morning at the Shelbourne (well I got there late and couldn't figure out if any of the groups there was the right one), and I think a good few had left McGrattan's by the time I got there. So a reunion meetup/run wouldn't be out of order is all I'm saying... ;)

Here, here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Brilliant race report - sounds like you had a fantastic first marathon! Well done to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Absolutely superb debut performance. A dream marathon well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Brilliant first marathon ! Sounds like a great experience - well done you !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've just spent a very productive afternoon in working reading this log from the start. It's a great read. I really admire your consistency, dedication, focus and patience (I've no idea how you stuck with the HADD training for so long). You got the marathon result that your training deserved, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I'm on catch up. Lovely read. Onwards and upwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just catching up on your log now. Wow, well done. What a fantastic race you had. Delighted it went so well for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Somehow missed this log / race report in amongst all the others but seriously well done, brilliant performance on the day! Totally agree with on the supporters as well. I'm hooked now so any year I'm not running it, I'll definitely make an effort to get out to support.

Thanks so much everyone! Means a lot :)
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I've just spent a very productive afternoon in working reading this log from the start. It's a great read. I really admire your consistency, dedication, focus and patience (I've no idea how you stuck with the HADD training for so long). You got the marathon result that your training deserved, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Ahhh thank you! That is a lovely comment. And I won't tell you how many logs I've done that with... :eek: At least I've gotten in at the start with yours ;)
    Would you think I was nuts if I said I was considering another round of HADD training?? :pac:

The marathon is starting to feel a bit further away now and normality should probably resume (I mean I keep hoping someone will start cheering me along on my walk to work, but for some reason it hasn't happened yet, what gives :confused:)

So after feeling fairly decent (relatively speaking) after the marathon itself, I was a bit thrown when after a few hours in McGrattan's I left and within minutes was limping badly. Shuffled down the road to get food but ended up having to get a taxi home from there, I couldn't walk.

The pain was on the inside of my right ankle, and was really sensitive to bearing weight but no swelling or bruising whatsoever, so presumably not a sprain or anything. Strange...

It came and went the next day, and over the next few days. 10 days later and it's not painful anymore besides the odd twinge (hasn't been for several days) but it still feels odd so I've been slow to start doing much running. Two very short jogs so far is all I've attempted, and the foot felt fine during both but slightly sore again afterwards, particularly after the first. I'm dying to get back into regular running, even just easy stuff, but I'll take it slowly for the moment.

Side note: it's been great reading everyone's marathon reports, and particular seeing how much all of us novices are keen to keep running. I had a sense from some previous years that a lot of people complete the marathon and then that's that, whereas our group all seems mad to get going again!

The niggly feelings in my leg (plus the nagging feeling in my head that something wasn't fully right) haven't gone away and it was time to finally face it and go to the physio, which I did this morning. After going through the usual tests his verdict was both better and worse than expected. Better, in that there's nothing major wrong, just the normal enough toll of a first marathon on the body. But worse in that he told me to stay away from proper training for 6 weeks. SIX. Ugh. I'm gutted, and I also know completely that it's not a big deal and I have no business moaning. So enough of that, and time to get on with it.

I've been told to keep up the frequency of training but spread it around other things, so bike, swimming etc, and the odd short easy run is ok. After 3-4 weeks I can start harder efforts (not running but spin and stuff - the horrors!)

Feels like a bit of a crap way to finish out the year, but the main thing is that it has been an amazing year and it would be both sad and very ignorant to focus on the one negative when everything I wanted to do in terms of running this year worked out for me. Not many people are that lucky, and I won't expect to be again.

So I don't know if I'll be doing much worth logging here, but I'll probably be on incessantly with questions about how the hell to cross train...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The niggly feelings in my leg (plus the nagging feeling in my head that something wasn't fully right) haven't gone away and it was time to finally face it and go to the physio, which I did this morning. After going through the usual tests his verdict was both better and worse than expected. Better, in that there's nothing major wrong, just the normal enough toll of a first marathon on the body. But told me to stay away from proper training for 6 weeks. SIX. Ugh. I'm gutted, and I also know completely that it's not a big deal and I have no business moaning. So enough of that, and time to get on with it.

I've been told to keep up the frequency of training but spread it around other things, so bike, swimming etc, and the odd short easy run is ok. After 3-4 weeks I can start harder efforts (not running but spin and stuff - the horrors!)

Feels like a bit of a crap way to finish out the year, but the main thing is that it has been an amazing year and it would be both sad and very ignorant to focus on the one negative when everything I wanted to do in terms of running this year worked out for me. Not many people are that lucky, and I won't expect to be again.

So I don't know if I'll be doing much worth logging here, but I'll probably be on incessantly with questions about how the hell to cross train...

Bummer! But what is it that's wrong? Is there a diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Oh that’s frustrating.

Have you access to a pool with a deep end? Pool Running is great. You just need a belt that the pool might possibly have to lend you but approx €30 otherwise I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That IS annoying, but good for you for being so sensible. I'm not sure too many would listen to that advice..myself included!
    Hopefully you can find some cross training you enjoy!

Bummer! But what is it that's wrong? Is there a diagnosis?
    Nah just that my right leg is a bit mashed - damage to the calf, quad, and glute/hip. The massage was excruciating! He didn't seem at all alarmed but said the muscles etc need to recover, so while I should definitely still be training I need to mix it up and give my body a bit of variety. Which is a pity, because running is the only training I like! Besides strength stuff, which he also told me to avoid for the time being. Easy efforts only!
    Actually he suggested hiking too, which I love, so might try and fit in a bit of that.

How's your foot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yeah actually now that I think about it, I felt all wrong after Limerick and the physio just told me keep running but not by a plan, to just enjoy myself doing the hobby I love... If there's nothing actually wrong physically, might be worth thinking about that in a couple of weeks if you can't bear to stay away.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh that’s frustrating.

Have you access to a pool with a deep end? Pool Running is great. You just need a belt that the pool might possibly have to lend you but approx €30 otherwise I believe.
    I'll look into that, thanks K! You mentioned it before but I don't really know what it is so I'll check it out now. I haven't gone swimming (aside from on holidays) in ages so kind of like the thought of that too actually.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    That IS annoying, but good for you for being so sensible. I'm not sure too many would listen to that advice..myself included!
    Hopefully you can find some cross training you enjoy!
    We'll see how long I last! Although the fear of doing anything that would have me off even longer will probably keep me fairly obedient I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That sucks. At least a bit of cross-training will stand you long-term I'd imagine.

Nah just that my right leg is a bit mashed - damage to the calf, quad, and glute/hip. The massage was excruciating! He didn't seem at all alarmed but said the muscles etc need to recover, so while I should definitely still be training I need to mix it up and give my body a bit of variety. Which is a pity, because running is the only training I like! Besides strength stuff, which he also told me to avoid for the time being. Easy efforts only!
    Actually he suggested hiking too, which I love, so might try and fit in a bit of that.

How's your foot?

Ah my foot just feels weird...I haven't run this week but I will get out for a couple of recovery runs at the weekend. It's a lot better.

As for you....I dunno...I have seen two types of physio in my time, those who want you to continue your sport (as in a team physio) and those who are overly conservative for fear of getting a bad Facebook review! I'd be looking for something more specific before stopping running tbh. There may be a specific reason in your case but a mashed leg wouldn't be enough! Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I remember lying down on the physio table about a week after my first proper marathon and the physio started going "look at that" pointing at hamstrings. I couldn't see them because I was still buckled so he goes "your legs are still running". The muscles in my hamstrings were still contracting at rest.

The marathon does a lot of damage to your body, I'd go as far as saying the act of running 26.2 miles as fast as you can is unhealthy. The training is good for you but the race itself isn't so you do some fairly significant damage. Usually, I wouldn't go against physio's but if there's no injury damage, I'd say take that 6 weeks with a grain of salt as you'll know yourself when you start feeling better. Get on the foam roller, do a few no pressure runs as slowly as you can imagine and keep an eye on some good eating along with epsom salt baths. You might be fully right in a week and half or maybe 3 weeks but you'll know better than anyone else will when you are.

I remember lying down on the physio table about a week after my first proper marathon and the physio started going "look at that" pointing at hamstrings. I couldn't see them because I was still buckled so he goes "your legs are still running". The muscles in my hamstrings were still contracting at rest.

The marathon does a lot of damage to your body, I'd go as far as saying the act of running 26.2 miles as fast as you can is unhealthy. The training is good for you but the race itself isn't so you do some fairly significant damage. Usually, I wouldn't go against physio's but if there's no injury damage, I'd say take that 6 weeks with a grain of salt as you'll know yourself when you start feeling better. Get on the foam roller, do a few no pressure runs as slowly as you can imagine and keep an eye on some good eating along with epsom salt baths. You might be fully right in a week and half or maybe 3 weeks but you'll know better than anyone else will when you are.

He said it better!

Ah my foot just feels weird...I haven't run this week but I will get out for a couple of recovery runs at the weekend. It's a lot better.

As for you....I dunno...I have seen two types of physio in my time, those who want you to continue your sport (as in a team physio) and those who are overly conservative for fear of getting a bad Facebook review! I'd be looking for something more specific before stopping running tbh. There may be a specific reason in your case but a mashed leg wouldn't be enough! Haha.
    That wasn't exactly his term for it in fairness :P I know what you're saying, but this guy is definitely in the former camp. He was adamant that I keep exercising.
    But I do think there was a bit of the fact that a few weeks recovery means then it's Christmas anyway, so why not just take it easy and be ready to start back properly in January, which I think may be excessive.
    Yep, true. My thinking is it's no harm to follow his advice at the moment, and if it works wonders in a couple of weeks and my leg feels great again then brilliant. I won't be sitting around for no reason if I'm feeling 100% again. For now though I know myself I need a bit longer before I get stuck back in fully, which I guess is why I went to see him. So I'll just see how it goes and pay attention. And I'll certainly be hoping for sooner rather than later.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Argghhhhhh, sorry to hear that! If it's the same physio you went to with your taper madness before DCM, at least you can trust that he wouldn't advise no running unless he really thought it was necessary. I'd take El C's advice on board, though, and definitely see how you are after a few weeks of cross training.

I'm really surprised by how much the marathon took out of me. I thought once the DOMs went, I was back to normal but I definitely wasn't.

I've no idea what to advise for cross training. Sportsco, if you're near there, were doing an offer where you could join for a month. Not sure if it's still available but you could always phone and see. Would yoga be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling back to yourself yet. If it's any consolation you're not alone :cool: You've already got brilliant advice, i can't add to it. I hope you find something you enjoy doing, variety is a spice of life 'n' all that. If nothing else at least you're in Dublin - I'm sure there's lots of options. Hopefully you'll be back sooner than you think too x

• Advertisement

...with your taper madness before DCM...
    :P (and yes, same one!)
    I'm really surprised by how much the marathon took out of me. I thought once the DOMs went, I was back to normal but I definitely wasn't.

I've no idea what to advise for cross training. Sportsco, if you're near there, were doing an offer where you could join for a month. Not sure if it's still available but you could always phone and see. Would yoga be allowed?
    That's it really - I guess I thought it couldn't be that much worse than the 20 mile training runs, but clearly it leaves more of a mark. Sure I felt great halfway through the day after the marathon and thought I was ready to get right back to it all! :o Yoga will definitely be a big part of it, yes. I have a gym at work so I just better figure out how to use things :rolleyes:
    ariana` wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling back to yourself yet. If it's any consolation you're not alone :cool: You've already got brilliant advice, i can't add to it. I hope you find something you enjoy doing, variety is a spice of life 'n' all that. If nothing else at least you're in Dublin - I'm sure there's lots of options. Hopefully you'll be back sooner than you think too x
    Thanks E. I was just having a whinge, it's not the end of the world at all. Sorry to hear you're still feeling a bit off too - is it just generally not being fully recovered or anything specific bothering you? Hope it's nothing major x

Advertisement