Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Only catching up properly with logs now. Actually missed your earlier post! Can't believe that setback, gutted for you. Fingers crossed you'll be back soon, that's hard to take after doing so well in your first (but not last?) marathon. Maybe even less than 6 weeks, but I'd be tempted to err on the side of caution with that one (speaking as a non-physio) Keep us posted :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

eyrie wrote: »
    The niggly feelings in my leg (plus the nagging feeling in my head that something wasn't fully right) haven't gone away and it was time to finally face it and go to the physio, which I did this morning. After going through the usual tests his verdict was both better and worse than expected. Better, in that there's nothing major wrong, just the normal enough toll of a first marathon on the body. But worse in that he told me to stay away from proper training for 6 weeks. SIX. Ugh. I'm gutted, and I also know completely that it's not a big deal and I have no business moaning. So enough of that, and time to get on with it.

I've been told to keep up the frequency of training but spread it around other things, so bike, swimming etc, and the odd short easy run is ok. After 3-4 weeks I can start harder efforts (not running but spin and stuff - the horrors!)

Feels like a bit of a crap way to finish out the year, but the main thing is that it has been an amazing year and it would be both sad and very ignorant to focus on the one negative when everything I wanted to do in terms of running this year worked out for me. Not many people are that lucky, and I won't expect to be again.

So I don't know if I'll be doing much worth logging here, but I'll probably be on incessantly with questions about how the hell to cross train...

Sorry to hear about the injury! I could've written an almost identical post myself, but at least it's only 6 weeks, and it's not bad timing, and once the new year comes around you'll be flying it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Only catching up properly with logs now. Actually missed your earlier post! Can't believe that setback, gutted for you. Fingers crossed you'll be back soon, that's hard to take after doing so well in your first (but not last?) marathon. Maybe even less than 6 weeks, but I'd be tempted to err on the side of caution with that one (speaking as a non-physio) Keep us posted :)
    Oh it definitely won't be the last marathon! Thanks J, it's annoying but it could be a lot worse.
    aloooof wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the injury! I could've written an almost identical post myself, but at least it's only 6 weeks, and it's not bad timing, and once the new year comes around you'll be flying it again!
    Sounds like we're in very similar situations, I've just read your update too! Hopefully we'll both get to start 2019 off fresh ;)

Let's go with a few mini updates on nothing in particular, shall we? If I'm not running I might as well use the time to talk about... not running :( I'm sure it will be exciting for all concerned :D

A few days of faffing about following the physio visit, and I decided this week it was time to get back to some kind of discipline, even if I'm not training hard.

Monday 19th - Trip to the gym to go through the physio exercises followed by 40 mins easy on the bike. I haven't a clue what speeds or rpm on the bike really mean, so I went by heart rate to try and match an easy running effort. I kept looking at the people on bikes on either side of me and wondering why the hell they were doing this voluntarily. Maybe they're injured runners too? Surely it's the only explanation... Leg sore today, surprisingly so.

Tuesday 20th - An actual run! 45 mins easy on the treadmill (4.3 miles @ 10:31 pace) + physio exercises
    Couldn't believe the tightness and soreness of the legs after these two days. Suggests that any muscles that may once have lived in my poor legs have been annihilated to the extent that even a few bodyweight exercises had me suffering! Eeeeeek. Leg better though, despite the DOMS.

Wednesday 21st - Yoga + physio exercises + :o
    Madness has set in. Home from work for the day to try and get college work done. No gym access meant bouts of hula hooping around my kitchen like a maniac. Not sure it entirely counts as cross-training...

Who knows what tomorrow will bring? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eyrie wrote: »
    Monday 19th - Trip to the gym to go through the physio exercises followed by 40 mins easy on the bike. I haven't a clue what speeds or rpm on the bike really mean, so I went by heart rate to try and match an easy running effort. I kept looking at the people on bikes on either side of me and wondering why the hell they were doing this voluntarily. Maybe they're injured runners too? Surely it's the only explanation... Leg sore today, surprisingly so.

Time to crack out the Netflix/podcasts/audiobooks, me thinks. Whatever gets you through.

• Advertisement

Thursday 22nd - 45 mins on the bike + physio exercises.
    Sore leg again. Booooo.

Friday 23rd - 5 miles "easy" (10:58 avg pace and a 150 (164) HR avg/max :eek:)
    A horrifying attempt at a run! The leg felt better and this started out well but the effort started to climb fairly rapidly despite keeping a very slow pace. Any time I so much as looked in the direction of a hill my heart rate jumped about 20 beats. It was fairly shocking. Didn't realise it was possible to lose so much fitness so quickly. Can't say it's a discovery I was happy to make!

Saturday 24th - Rest. Too disheartened to move! :pac: Kidding, but no time to get to the gym and didn't want to try a run again after the previous day's horror show. Also the foot was sore again for the first time in a while, which I presume is not a coincidence after the run yesterday.

Sunday 25th - Random cardio workout at home
    Courtesy of youtube. Tried to go to the gym but it closed early, so I improvised. Lots of foam rolling.

Maybe I need to be doing something different with the cross training, or just doing more of it. Bit fed up but I might as well crack on I suppose, it'll take as long as it takes so there's no point getting impatient. Not that I am or anything... :pac:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Time to crack out the Netflix/podcasts/audiobooks, me thinks. Whatever gets you through.
    Definitely - podcasts are the business. Might try mixing it up a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Sorry to hear about your mashed leg! It must be frustrating but fair play to you continuing with all that cross training.

I still shudder when I think of the indoor cycling I was doing in the weeks leading up to DCM. So boring and if I ever see another episode of Tipping Point on tv again it'll be too soon. Sounds like podcasts is the route I should've gone down instead:)

But all this will stand to you and you'll be smashing out PBs come 2019:D

Sorry to hear about your mashed leg! It must be frustrating but fair play to you continuing with all that cross training.

I still shudder when I think of the indoor cycling I was doing in the weeks leading up to DCM. So boring and if I ever see another episode of Tipping Point on tv again it'll be too soon. Sounds like podcasts is the route I should've gone down instead:)
    But all this will stand to you and you'll be smashing out PBs come 2019:D
    Hopefully we both will!

Thanks :) It's mad in one way when you think about it - there was years I didn't run at all and would have had to drag myself out any time I decided I should 'get fit', and now I'm gutted to not be out doing it. We're a strange breed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Very late on catching up here, eyrie :eek:

So good to see you being positive. How's the hula-hooping going?
    Really cross-training, or an excuse to dodge college work :D

:eek:
    You wouldn't be accusing me of procrastinating on my assignments now would you juke?? *hides hula hoop* :p

• Advertisement

:D

Kindred procrastinating spirits!

I can run again, it's a Christmas miracle!

Today was the day for my follow up with the physio, four weeks after I was benched at the last appointment. To be honest, I was nervous about this as I hadn't felt the leg was any better at all really. However thankfully the physio disagreed (very happy to go with his take on things :D) and reckoned none of the aches and pains were anything to worry about and it's time to start building back up. This is to be done very slowly, but I don't care because I GET TO RUN!!! Starting out with just 10 mins a day and a load of exercises to do as a warm up, and increasing by 10 mins a run each week which should get me back to normal by late January. That means I'm good to sign up for Raheny, although I guess it'll be nothing more than a jog around given there'll be no proper training done.

I don't care how pathetic this sounds, but I'm looking forward to getting up tomorrow morning and going out for my 10 min run before breakfast more than I've looked forward to anything in ages. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Get out there and enjoy it! I feel your pain. I think I'll be running Raheny at something less than my best but really looking forward to gradually increasing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great to read this, enjoy the run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

This news gave me a smile on a cr*ppy day. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great news!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Brilliant news!! (Tho, I'll miss the "madness has set in" type updates! :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great news

The best news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah brilliant delighted for you. Enjoy your run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That's great news.

Ahhh thanks a million for the lovely comments everyone. Lots of good eggs on this forum - as we seem to be saying often, you can't beat runners for a sound group of people ;)

It feels a bit ridiculous logging individual 10 minute runs here, and that's all that's happening at the moment. I got out for one on Thursday after the physio gave me the go ahead, and then another on Friday and Sunday (Saturday was spent in college all day, then college night out straight after... :D)
    All sense of a normal relationship between effort and pace is out the window from where it was before all this. We'll see how long it takes to get back. For now, since I'm only running ten minutes a day I don't think it all needs to be easy so I'm just playing around with it a bit.

Somehow I managed to split 6.5 miles into 4 runs for my weekly total (and it only got up that "high" :o because I had done a 3 mile test run earlier in the week before going to the physio). How times have changed... But hey, at least there's running happening again.

Weekly total: 6.5 miles running
    Other stuff:
    - 2 sessions on the exercise bike (one easy, one was intervals)
    - Physio exercises daily (as a warm up on running days)
    - Yoga almost daily.
    Oh and more hula hooping when I couldn't get to the gym on Friday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Your patience is exemplary... I think I'd have gone rogue by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hula hooping - brilliant!!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hula hooping - brilliant!!
    It's so much fun!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to see you back logging some runs eyrie :)

Update train :pac:

17th - 23rd Dec
    I kept to the 10 mins running a day for Monday and Tuesday, then bumped myself up to 20 mins on Wednesday as it had been almost a week. Ups and downs but towards the end of the week it was starting to feel a little bit easier, a little bit more natural again.
    Did the physio exercises religiously before every run. I went to Pilates on Wednesday and it was the easiest class I've ever done, so I reckon the exercises are paying off. Unfortunately they've changed my class to a day when I can't go, so I won't get to enjoy the feeling of competence for long :rolleyes:
    Yoga happened 2 or 3 times this week too, and I really feel it's helping my legs hugely. I've seen a fairly major difference in my flexibility in the last few weeks from it too which is nice.
    Total: 10.5 miles (6 runs)

24th - 30th Dec
    Christmas!! :D
    I'm impressed by how many people got out to run on Christmas day. I love the idea of it. Couldn't manage it this year - but Christmas Eve and Stephen's Day were good enough. Just loved these runs. I got to extend the time to 30 mins midway during the week - starting to look almost like real running! I got out 5 days for a mix of easy and random efforts. The pace has come down a lot (easy runs in the 9:40-9:55 range) but I've no doubt that if the mileage was higher it would slow down again. I'm also finding it impossible to judge effort now, I've lost touch with how everything should feel.
    As with last week, I did the physio exercises daily and yoga twice.
    Total: Just shy of 15 miles (5 runs)

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

That’s all very positive, how’s the injury feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It's brilliant to see you back on the road. It won't take long to get it all back. Looking forward to seeing your development in 2019. Happy new year :)

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    That’s all very positive, how’s the injury feeling?
    Everything feels fine as long as I do a lot of stretching (hence the yoga), and the running doesn't seem to be making it any worse which is great. Thanks for asking :)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's brilliant to see you back on the road. It won't take long to get it all back. Looking forward to seeing your development in 2019. Happy new year :)
    And the very same to you, on all counts! :D

Advertisement