Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

eyrie wrote: »
    15 min tempo (8:30-8:14) + w/u and c/d | 30 mins runner's yoga
    3.7 miles / 9:35 avg pace / 153 (181) HR avg (max)
    Tempo section: 8:20 average (1.8 miles)
    The last run involving any kind of effort before the main event. I had an out and back route for this and the second half was harder than the first, thanks to a decent headwind (which no doubt helped during the first half). It was fine, but if I thought I was going to be flying along like a gazelle and everything would feel laughably easy thanks to the magical taper, well... it wasn't quite like that :eek:
    Came home and did some yoga, which was lovely and relaxing, and my legs felt all the better for it.

Ah, eyrie, you are 4 days early for the magic :P

Trust the plan and you'll have an epic day.

Now - about those meeting points.... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Best of luck on Sunday, hope all goes well for you. You're well prepared, much more than most are going into a first marathon so there's nothing to worry about. It's completely normal to feel a bit heavy legged during the taper, everything is repairing itself and your muscles are packing up with fuel that you had being burning off.

Ease into on Sunday for the first few miles and relax and find your rhythm, keep nice and calm and don't make any rash decisions if you find the pace a bit slow through the first few miles, find your own groove first before looking at where you want to be later in the race. No marathon was ever made in the first few miles. Enjoy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

For a first time marathoner, you've some serious training under your belt. I've every confidence that you'll have an unbelievable experience on Sunday, with the time to match. All that's left for you is to go out and do it. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

You've put in a cracking training cycle (novice or not) and I have no doubt that you're going to have an amazing day on Sunday. You really deserve it. I'm excited to hear all about it.

I'll be in Milltown cheering you all on and see you in McGrattans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very best for Sunday, have a great race and enjoy the day. Run well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of running on Sunday. Cracking times ahead for you regardless of Sunday. Great consistent training

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Best of luck tomorrow! Can't wait to hear how you get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday, hope all goes well for you. You're well prepared, much more than most are going into a first marathon so there's nothing to worry about. It's completely normal to feel a bit heavy legged during the taper, everything is repairing itself and your muscles are packing up with fuel that you had being burning off.

Ease into on Sunday for the first few miles and relax and find your rhythm, keep nice and calm and don't make any rash decisions if you find the pace a bit slow through the first few miles, find your own groove first before looking at where you want to be later in the race. No marathon was ever made in the first few miles. Enjoy!:)
    Thank you, appreciate that! You gave me some really good advice way way back before I ever started training for this, when I was just daydreaming about it still, and then again when I was trying to decide how to approach the training at the start. I've gone back over it several times since then and I'm very grateful. So, thank you!
    Good luck with the new goals yourself, and congrats on the new job and birthday!

For a first time marathoner, you've some serious training under your belt. I've every confidence that you'll have an unbelievable experience on Sunday, with the time to match. All that's left for you is to go out and do it. Best of luck :)
    Ah thank you! That's really kind of you to say. If I hadn't been hanging around here for far too much of my time I'd be in a very different position :pac:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    You've put in a cracking training cycle (novice or not) and I have no doubt that you're going to have an amazing day on Sunday. You really deserve it. I'm excited to hear all about it.

I'll be in Milltown cheering you all on and see you in McGrattans.
    Thanks E!!! Looking forward to it now. I'll keep my eye out for you in Milltown and I'm really looking forward to meeting you after!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Very best for Sunday, have a great race and enjoy the day. Run well!!
    Thank you! Hope you enjoy the day yourself, though in a different capacity!
    Best of running on Sunday. Cracking times ahead for you regardless of Sunday. Great consistent training
    Thanks P, appreciate it! Hope to meet you in McGrattan's afterwards
    Best of luck tomorrow! Can't wait to hear how you get on:)
    Ditto! Thank you. I hope it's a good day for us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Sure - we were always going to get organised :D

Enjoy the buzz, have a super run. Looking forward to meeting you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Now that is exactly how to run your first marathon. Fantastic pacing. Chuffed to bits for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Great run C held it together well in the closing stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

A new role model! Was watching on the tracker, lovely sensible pacing there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats again, looking forward to this report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Have only really just discovered the logs.. I've been missing out! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do next and will be reading from now on :D

Have only really just discovered the logs.. I've been missing out! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do next and will be reading from now on :D

Sure isn't it time you started a training log of your own too ;-)

skyblue46 wrote: »

We'll give you a minute to catch up on that page S :P

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Done! Now to find yours..:P

Now that is exactly how to run your first marathon. Fantastic pacing. Chuffed to bits for you. :)
    Great run C held it together well in the closing stages.
    A new role model! Was watching on the tracker, lovely sensible pacing there :)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Congrats again, looking forward to this report :)
    Thanks a million for the lovely words all of you! And very clever of you to get in with them before I post my giant thesis of a race report - you can save yourselves reading it now ;) :eek: :o

Thanks a million C and right back at you!

• Advertisement

DCM 2018 Race Report

I swear the thought of writing this report is worse than the thought of running the marathon itself! And similarly unnecessary, but sure here we are :D.

It's long. I'm sorry :o

Before the race
    My first marathon. Never thought I'd run one and never would have had I not somehow stumbled upon the race reports in the 2016 novices thread a day or two after the marathon that year. The fire was lit.
    Training had gone really well until the last few weeks, when I felt a bit sluggish but nothing serious. I covered practically all the runs on the plan, averaging 44 mpw before the taper, and peaked at 51 miles. Woke up with a cold/sore throat the day before the big day which was annoying timing but my fellow novices wisely advised I wouldn't feel it at all when I was running, and they were right.
    Woke up at 6 on the day itself, feeling surprisingly calm. S dropped me to the start area and I wandered through slowly. Too slowly as it turned out, because I got stuck in a queue for the toilets and missed the start of my wave! I had to run to the start line and was almost out of breath doing it, which didn't bode well but it was probably just nerves. Got there when there was hardly anyone still around so it was a quiet start in the end, zero congestion which I had thought wouldn't be possible.

Race time!

I had planned to start slowly and that's what I did. I'm sure the relative lack of other people around running made it easier, there was no huge crowd to get caught up in. I almost started to have the opposite problem - it felt a bit like being on a long run for the first 5 miles or so, and I struggled to shake that feeling and pick up the pace to where I wanted it. I think I was a bit afraid of expending any effort at all because I didn't know how much I'd need to hold onto for later. Despite that, it was ridiculously enjoyable running through the city centre, listening to the cheers and looking around at all the other runners.
    The mile splits threw me completely as my watch kept buzzing well in advance of the mile markers on the road. It didn't make sense but I figured I had make a mistake somewhere and nothing to be done about it now, if I was behind so be it but I wasn't going to try and make up time at this stage. Save that for later.
    Up through Stoneybatter and got some great encouragement here, then into the park where I knew S would be waiting to cheer at the first of our agreed spots for the day. Saw him and we high-fived, then around onto Chesterfield avenue and on we go. I think we were lucky with the (lack of) wind on Sunday but this stretch was fine.
    Miles 1 - 6: 9:28, 9:18, 9:45, 9:03, 9:38, 9:39 (10k - 59:22)

Out of the park and into the beautiful madness that was Castleknock. It's something else. Thoroughly enjoying myself now. Just need to keep it slow until the high point and then relax. Got around and then onto the fun of the downhills, and back into the park. I loved this section, the peaceful nature of the park after the energy from the crowds outside, such a contrast but both so great.
    Left the park again and just focused on staying steady into and out of Chapelizod. Took it slowly up the hill on St Laurence's Rd but somehow the hill felt shorter than in my training runs and it was over in no time.
    Kilmainham was a real highlight for me, loved the energy of the crowds here. I had a massive grin on my face going through them. Passed a woman cheering who called my name (which was written on my number) and shouted at me to keep smiling all the way to the finish line. For whatever reason she gave me a huge boost and I thought of her comment several times later on and kept smiling.
    Miles 7 - 12: 9:26, 8:32, 8:33, 8:11, 9:07, 8:40

Coming up to Dolphin's Barn and I knew I was going to see S and my family there, I started to get a bit emotional. I wanted to hug them all and really take it in but it was a bit of blur, I high-fived them all as I went past and managed to grab a banana from S as planned.
    I had a fear of the Crumlin Rd from trying to run up it at the end of a long run in training and getting worn out running into the wind, but it was fine on the day. Got to halfway about a minute behind my rough target, but I hadn't really been trying to stick to a target either. I told myself from the start I'd run without worrying about time as much as possible, so if I was a bit off so be it.
    Just after halfway I suddenly got a pain in my right leg, shooting up and down from my hip to my shin. It was hitting all the same areas as the pain that had me going to the physio the week before, when he had said there was nothing wrong. I figured it couldn't be serious and kept going, but hoped it wouldn't get worse.
    Around here I seemed to switch off a bit judging by my splits. I stopped looking at the watch at all for a few miles and I slowed down a bit, which I'm annoyed about in hindsight as I didn't need to, I just stopped paying attention. That lasted from past the halfway point up to hitting the downhill at Bushy Park.
    Miles 13 - 18: 8:44, 9:31, 9:01, 8:54, 8:54, 8:41

After that I woke up and started to focus again as the course got more interesting heading out of Rathgar and a few little uphills and downhills around Milltown and Clonskeagh. Started to see more and more people walking from here on, and I kept passing people. Going under the 20 mile gantry was amazing as I really felt everything was going to be ok from here, 6.2 miles more didn't seem like too much and I was still feeling good, the leg was sore but nothing unmanageable.
    Got to Heartbreak Hill and over it. In a way the uphills were a relief actually as my right leg seemed to hurt less going uphill. The pain was there for most of the second half, but it never got worse and I knew as long as it didn't it wouldn't interfere too much.
    From mile 20 onwards the focus was just on staying steady. I knew S would be waiting for me on Nutley Lane and I had that to look forward to. Running up to the UCD flyover and a woman behind me answered her phone while she ran, and I could hear her congratulating someone on finishing sub 3:30. I turned around and gave her a thumbs up. We were on track for less than half an hour to go ourselves so.
    Turned onto Nutley Lane and saw S there and ran over to him. He said later he thought I was going in for a kiss and was going to headbutt him I have no idea what I was trying to do!
    Miles 19 - 24: 8:35, 8:51, 9:05, 9:16, 8:47, 8:22

Onwards, not far to go now, just keep it up. I was aware of getting tired and wanting to get to the finish, but in a strange way at the same time it wasn't taking any more effort to keep going, and I actually sped up a little for the last 3 miles. Breathing was fine, and I think the tiredness was mental as much as anything - knowing you're nearly there so thoughts drift to the end.
    The last mile and a bit and I definitely wanted to be done, had to start using some of the tricks and keeping my head focused, keep working. Told myself not to fight it, it was always going to be hard at some point. Relax and keep moving. I was passing a lot of people at this stage and not slowing down, just wanted to get to the finish line. So many walkers here. Kept telling myself you're lucky, you're suffering a lot less than a lot of people.
    Somehow out of the blue on Northumberland Rd there was my Mum at the side, calling my name. I had no idea she was going to be there and I was over the moon to see her! It was the best feeling, at the hardest moment of the day.
    I ran on and suddenly there was the blue carpet up ahead and I ran for it, still had a bit of a kick left. The roar from the crowds at that moment was like nothing I've ever heard, I've no doubt it gave me an extra few seconds off my finishing time.
    Miles 25 - 26.2: 8:29, 8:32, 7:32 for 0.2 (0.33 on my watch)

Crossed the line and stopped the watch, couldn't believe it. Done. I thought there'd be tears but strangely nothing like that, I was a bit dazed I think. Within seconds it was like my body went from fairly ok to completely in bits - stomach cramping, right leg buckled and I hobbled away from the finish feeling like a 90 year old but managed to keep walking. It was an incredible feeling getting the medal put around my neck.

Chip time: 3:55:26
    First half: 1:59:57
    Second half: 1:55:29

Roughly a 4min 30sec negative split which I think is what I'm proudest of. Not in a million years would that have happened if it hadn't been for the amount of generous advice from many posters on this forum about taking it slow over the first 10k and first half. I can only imagine how much I would have struggled through if it hadn't been for what I've learned here. Seriously indebted and grateful to the more experienced runners here who shared their knowledge. And very particularly to our amazing mentors ariana, Kellygirl and skyblue46. You guys are the best!!!

I had a ball in McGrattan's. I've said before that none of my friends run so finally meeting other people who run (and talk about running!) was amazing! It was fantastic meeting the three mentors after all this time, and chatting to them as well as a bunch of fellow novices and veteran Boardsies. And it was hilarious being recognised by my runners a few times I guess that's what happens when you don't have your face on Strava :o
    It was an absolute pleasure talking to everyone I got to talk to there. I'm only sorry now I've discovered there were a whole load of other people there I didn't even know about!

My only regret from the whole day is not meeting more of my fellow novices. I missed the meet up in the morning at the Shelbourne (well I got there late and couldn't figure out if any of the groups there was the right one), and I think a good few had left McGrattan's by the time I got there. So a reunion meetup/run wouldn't be out of order is all I'm saying... ;)

Final thoughts (yep, still rambling...)
    I am blown away by the generosity of the supporters. It's phenomenal how encouraging they are to total strangers, and it makes such a difference. The kids were the absolute best - I think the high fives were my favourite part of the day. I'll be out cheering any year I'm not running from now on.

I hadn't planned on following pacers but starting late meant I ran most of the race along and it would have been nice to have company at some stage, so next time I think I'd try and run with people for at least part of it.

I was lucky not to have any major drama during the race. I'm aware that a lot of people, including many here who I follow closely, had a much harder time despite amazing training. and it's really hard that so much comes down to being lucky or unlucky with a few small things on the day itself that can have a massive impact.

My main goal when I started this whole process was to finish a marathon wanting to do more of them. Sunday went better than I could ever have imagined, and yet I'm not dying to do it again. I'm not sure why. No doubt that'll change and I'll be signing up for everything I see soon, but right now I just want to run some more.

Love this report!! You ran that marathon superbly, really well done! I have to admit I am incredibly jealous of your marathon time 😀

Hadn't realized that leg pain had returned during it, you kept the head nicely.

And it was lovely to meet you and your OH in McGrattan's, great running chats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Brilliant stuff! Delighted to see you got what you deserved, your attitude and discipline towards the training and racing is spot on so no suprise about it.

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff! Delighted to see you got what you deserved, your attitude and discipline towards the training and racing is spot on so no suprise about it.

I agree...but is that a few times now that you have been a bit non plussed after races? Maybe you need tougher goals to aim for!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I sooooo got the wrong log with my deleted post, you done MASSIVELY well and no surprise really. Great to talk to you in McGrattans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I just knew you'd have a great day. You're so quietly consistent and you'd put in a great training block. Fantastic result. Hope the leg is feeling better. Congratulations. You're a marathoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats once more. To get a 4 1/2 negative split in your first marathon takes some doing. It must have been an eerie feeling running on your own at the start, when all you were expecting beforehand was to be surrounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Fantastic, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've just read your report for the second time as i got interrupted earlier - what a super report and marathon debut - really brilliant. Well done, it's much deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wow - thats some race - running 9's & 9:30's at the start to 8.30's to finish with a 7.30. Superb race management - very well done.

Advertisement