Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! History HL 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Chicharito11

Theoretically, is there any point in learning the other topics of D&D when I know everything there is to know about Stalin, can I just bank on a question on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orangey24

Has anyone got any sample contextualisation answers for the treaty, US foreign policy And Stalin USSR essays... Anything really would be great ! Stressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lizhession

KA97 wrote: »
    Are you able to post the Stalin essay ? Would really appreciate it :) struggling haha

Stalin - social and economic transformation

Josef Stalin assumed power in 1929, following the death of Lenin, and ruled until his death in 1953. Russia stood on the Eve of an economic and social revolution. Economically, his implementation of the 5 Year Plans (1928-41) and agricultural collectivisation transformed the soviet economy, pushing Russia forward at a pace that was almost dizzying. Socially, Stalin changed the social fabric of the USSR as it became increasingly modernised and industrialised, leaving behind its previous backwardly-moving, agriculturally-dependent society. Society was also irreversibly transformed through Stalin's infusion of terror, propaganda and cult of personality.

Stalin hugely transformed the soviet Russian society and economy by industrialising Russia through a series of 5 year plans. In 1928, Stalin introduced the first 5 Year Plan, establishing a new centrally planned economy, which would ensure forced economic growth. Stalin wanted to get greater control of the economy so that he would have greater control of the Soviet Union. He wanted to overcome the previous failures in agriculture to produce enough grain for the growing towns. He also wanted to modernise Russia so that it would match the economies of the western world as quickly as possible. He is quoted as having said "we are 50 to 100 years behind the advanced countries. Either we make a good difference in the next 10 years or they will crush us." The first 5 Year plan concentrated on heavy industry - coal, iron, gas, electricity - which formed the basis for future industrial growth. The consequent second and third 5 Year Plans (1933-41) concentrated on developing metalworking and transport industries. As time progressed towards World War 2, more investment was put into armaments to prepare for the German invasion of 1941. By the end of 1932 significant progress had been made. Machinery, oil and electricity production had doubled and tripled it's previous production levels. Socially, the urban working class grew from 11 million in 1928 to 33 million in 1938. The Soviet Union achieved full employment during the Western World's Great Depression, illiteracy was wiped out and the numbers attending secondary school grew six times between 1928 and 1938. A backward, mainly agricultural country was changed into a leading industrial power. The changes in industry were accompanied by equally huge changes in agriculture.

In 1929, a new agricultural policy known as Collectivisation was introduced. This was a policy of Stalin's government which forced peasants to give up their farms and form large collective farms on which the land was jointly owned and worked by the peasants. Some farms were combined into state farms where the peasants were paid as labourers. Stalin introduced collectivisation for reasons aimed at improving the state of the economy. Stalin wanted to increase the output of grain and crops to sustain the workers in the growing industrial cities. Stalin also wanted to export for and buy industrial machinery and raw materials needed for the planned industrialisation and also to sustain the supply of labour in the cities. However, socially, collectivisation rose many problems. There was a huge resistance among the richer peasant race known as 'kulaks' who had been forced off their land. As a result of the widespread resistance, food production failed and there was a great famine in Russia that lasted from 1932-33, which killed over 5 million people. By the middle of the 1930s, the entire kulak class had been wiped out. Stalin's harsh methods meant that by 1940, 97% of farms had been collectivised. Collectivisation helped the growth of industry immensely, thus further transforming the soviet economy. It also changed the social structure, as very few people remained working in agriculture as the vast majority migrated to the cities in search of work in factories.

Stalinist Russia was a totalitarian dictatorship. The most visible transformation in Soviet social and cultural life was undoubtedly the ‘cult of Stalin’, which began in 1929. The Communist Party deliberately promoted this worship of Stalin. Using the party's control over the media, he was presented as the 'Supreme Genius of Humanity'. His face now began to appear everywhere – in photographs and paintings, on the sides of houses and buildings. Cities and towns were renamed in his honour, for example, Stalingrad. He was given the title 'vozhd' meaning 'leader'. Children were taught to give thanks to him for their happy lives. Music, art and poetry were used to praise him. He was the "most learned of men", "the fount of all wisdom". He was treated like a God. Stalin also arranged for history to be rewritten, to emphasise him as the hero of the October Revolution and the Civil War. According to this new version, it was he who organised the Bolshevik takeover in 1917 and who devised the strategy to defeat the White armies. It came to define what new party members knew about Russian history.

No social change under Stalin had a greater impact on Soviet society than the Terror. Managers, doctors, scientists, artists, workers – all were subjected to the dead hand of Stalin’s secret police, the NKVD. This secret police enforced Party policy and ensured conformity to the Party's wishes. They targeted anyone who Stalin believed was a threat to his power. Stalin's policies of forced industrialisation and collectivisation led to increased opposition to him in the Communist Party. The infamous 'Purges' targeted many of the 'Old Bolsheviks' in the Communist Party, thereby removing most of Stalin's political opponents.
    Several million people who were arrested under these terms were sent to prison camps known as 'gulags', who were then used as slave labour in Stalin's industrial projects. The NKVD also supervised some of the major 5 Year Plans. In human terms, the cost was staggering. It is estimated that the number killed was 18 million between 1930 and ’39 – with 8 million dying in 1937-38 alone. Stalin’s aim was to intimidate the population into total submission, and in this he was very successful. Fear permeated every level of society as no one dared deny the supreme leaders influence and power.

By 1939, Russia was transformed from a backward semi-developed nation to one which could match the West in industrial output. However, Stalin’s achievements came at a terrible price. Economically, the agricultural sector lagged behind; by 1941 it was barely above its 1928 level. However, it can be seen that, despite the chaos caused by collectivisation, Stalin had achieved considerable success in his quest for modernisation by 1941. Stalin’s Five Year Plans mobilised the nation and concentrated resources on the industrial sector of the economy. Although Stalin's means of obtaining forced economic growth and complete totalitarian power were severe and incredibly cruel, I would argue that Stalin's industrialisation and modernisation of society and economy saved the Soviet Union from utter ruin during World War 2 and grounded it's place amongst the world's leading super powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lexijade

I'm planning on doing this :
    Northern Ireland- ONeill, Paisley and The coleraine university.
    America- The U.S. economy, the Montgomery bus boycott and Johnson wih Vietnam war.
    And then I'm stuck for dictatorship and democracy?? Can someone help me what to do? I was thinking Hitler, Stalin and Lenin together and technology of war? If anyone could PM me help with the last section please!! Thanks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spottyapples

Question: is Stalin a pretty much guaranteed question under Dictatorship and Democracy? Or am I risking it by leaving out the other parts of that section?

And seeing as Race Relations and Lyndon Johnson come up every year under USA, wouldn't it be risky just doing them as they mightn't come up this year?

I NEED HELP PLEASE 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

lizhession you're a complete legend, thanks for that ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

lexijade wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing this :
    Northern Ireland- ONeill, Paisley and The coleraine university.
    America- The U.S. economy, the Montgomery bus boycott and Johnson wih Vietnam war.
    And then I'm stuck for dictatorship and democracy?? Can someone help me what to do? I was thinking Hitler, Stalin and Lenin together and technology of war? If anyone could PM me help with the last section please!! Thanks!! :)

refer back to my previous posts on this. i have been teaching leaving cert for the last 10 years so maybe my imput is off some help. overall you are leaving it very tight in NI, ok ish enough in USA and with D+D those selections should be enough but throw in mussoilini and economic depression

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Question: is Stalin a pretty much guaranteed question under Dictatorship and Democracy? Or am I risking it by leaving out the other parts of that section?

And seeing as Race Relations and Lyndon Johnson come up every year under USA, wouldn't it be risky just doing them as they mightn't come up this year?

I NEED HELP PLEASE 😭

Stalin didn't directly come up last year so you'll be safe enough with him just make sure you know everything inside out to manipulate the question on the day and maybe some on hitler also he comes up very often!
    Do them and also throw in maybe U.S. economy or something that comes up often too, I'm banking on a martin Luther king affecting the civil rights movement sort of question but don't guarantee it!

gracew wrote: »
    Stalin didn't directly come up last year so you'll be safe enough with him just make sure you know everything inside out to manipulate the question on the day and maybe some on hitler also he comes up very often!
    Do them and also throw in maybe U.S. economy or something that comes up often too, I'm banking on a martin Luther king affecting the civil rights movement sort of question but don't guarantee it!

Yeah I was thinking that maybe Stalin and Lenin would come up together as they haven't in awhile. I'm pretty good at Stalin, think I'll do a 2/3 German topics and hopefully cash out aha
    Difficult enough to pin point a topic for USA, but thank you for your help! Just seen a lot of people banking on Race Relations and Lyndon Johnson, wanted to point out they aren't guaranteed. People have been taking me up wrong though :S

cmickdaly wrote: »
    all a bit late for that. you had 2 years to get it right as most students do. no sympathy for this kind of desperation

Ah I was just asking a general question on the Stalin issue
    And I was only pointing out to people Race Relations and Lyndon Johnson may not appear, as many people have said they are banking on them as they are "guaranteed" questions.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was thinking that maybe Stalin and Lenin would come up together as they haven't in awhile. I'm pretty good at Stalin, think I'll do a 2/3 German topics and hopefully cash out aha
    Difficult enough to pin point a topic for USA, but thank you for your help! Just seen a lot of people banking on Race Relations and Lyndon Johnson, wanted to point out they aren't guaranteed. People have been taking me up wrong though :S
    For Stalin I'm learning off 4/5 points that hopefully I'll be able to answer any question with, and the same with hitler. Any tips at all?

gracew wrote: »
    For Stalin I'm learning off 4/5 points that hopefully I'll be able to answer any question with, and the same with hitler. Any tips at all?

Yeah, I do the same, usually the same variation of the question appears so I usually take a question and write down, literally, key words and make sure that I have the background of the story to fill in around the key words. Just try to make them foolproof and link similar questions together to try and cut down the workload

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Is mise John

Does anyone have a sample 1913 strike and lockout essay. I need one badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JimLarkin101

*Would it be awfully tight to only learn Home Rule 1870-1886? and Parnel & Butt during that period.
    Is land likely?
    Anyone have any Predictions regarding Wilhelm/Bismark/Imperialism ?
    Thanks Very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

Damn, I can learn off chapters and rattle off facts and dates like anything, but the quality of essay doesn't even touch that of the Nazi Foreign Policy one above. What advice do you give for tackling a question?

Stick to what you have. if the teacher graded it well and it is in the high B and / or A range you are fine. Otherwise if you haven't done any work in the last two years and you are only studying the topic now then it's too late in learning something new. No point in panicking now. Just learn what you have done and little point in fretting about stuff you haven't done.

rote learning essays is a receipe for disaster in a exam. a better method is to study a planned question close the book and give yourself 35-40 questions answering the question. then get your teacher to correct the question or check against the book and mark yourself using the marking scheme.

best of luck. you will do fine if you have the DBQ learned well and RSR done well

Theoretically, is there any point in learning the other topics of D&D when I know everything there is to know about Stalin, can I just bank on a question on him?

No you can't bank a stalin question coming up. study stalin, lenin, hitler , mussolini, british economic policy

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frie

Yo, does anyone know if a question on the welfare state comes up every year?

orangey24 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any sample contextualisation answers for the treaty, US foreign policy And Stalin USSR essays... Anything really would be great ! Stressing :(

have you spoken to your teacher.they might be around the school still. no point in stressing. have you got any essays done from school work?
    lizhession wrote: »
    Stalin - social and economic transformation

Josef Stalin assumed power in 1929, following the death of Lenin, and ruled until his death in 1953. Russia stood on the Eve of an economic and social revolution. Economically, his implementation of the 5 Year Plans (1928-41) and agricultural collectivisation transformed the soviet economy, pushing Russia forward at a pace that was almost dizzying. Socially, Stalin changed the social fabric of the USSR as it became increasingly modernised and industrialised, leaving behind its previous backwardly-moving, agriculturally-dependent society. Society was also irreversibly transformed through Stalin's infusion of terror, propaganda and cult of personality.

Stalin hugely transformed the soviet Russian society and economy by industrialising Russia through a series of 5 year plans. In 1928, Stalin introduced the first 5 Year Plan, establishing a new centrally planned economy, which would ensure forced economic growth. Stalin wanted to get greater control of the economy so that he would have greater control of the Soviet Union. He wanted to overcome the previous failures in agriculture to produce enough grain for the growing towns. He also wanted to modernise Russia so that it would match the economies of the western world as quickly as possible. He is quoted as having said "we are 50 to 100 years behind the advanced countries. Either we make a good difference in the next 10 years or they will crush us." The first 5 Year plan concentrated on heavy industry - coal, iron, gas, electricity - which formed the basis for future industrial growth. The consequent second and third 5 Year Plans (1933-41) concentrated on developing metalworking and transport industries. As time progressed towards World War 2, more investment was put into armaments to prepare for the German invasion of 1941. By the end of 1932 significant progress had been made. Machinery, oil and electricity production had doubled and tripled it's previous production levels. Socially, the urban working class grew from 11 million in 1928 to 33 million in 1938. The Soviet Union achieved full employment during the Western World's Great Depression, illiteracy was wiped out and the numbers attending secondary school grew six times between 1928 and 1938. A backward, mainly agricultural country was changed into a leading industrial power. The changes in industry were accompanied by equally huge changes in agriculture.

In 1929, a new agricultural policy known as Collectivisation was introduced. This was a policy of Stalin's government which forced peasants to give up their farms and form large collective farms on which the land was jointly owned and worked by the peasants. Some farms were combined into state farms where the peasants were paid as labourers. Stalin introduced collectivisation for reasons aimed at improving the state of the economy. Stalin wanted to increase the output of grain and crops to sustain the workers in the growing industrial cities. Stalin also wanted to export for and buy industrial machinery and raw materials needed for the planned industrialisation and also to sustain the supply of labour in the cities. However, socially, collectivisation rose many problems. There was a huge resistance among the richer peasant race known as 'kulaks' who had been forced off their land. As a result of the widespread resistance, food production failed and there was a great famine in Russia that lasted from 1932-33, which killed over 5 million people. By the middle of the 1930s, the entire kulak class had been wiped out. Stalin's harsh methods meant that by 1940, 97% of farms had been collectivised. Collectivisation helped the growth of industry immensely, thus further transforming the soviet economy. It also changed the social structure, as very few people remained working in agriculture as the vast majority migrated to the cities in search of work in factories.

Stalinist Russia was a totalitarian dictatorship. The most visible transformation in Soviet social and cultural life was undoubtedly the ‘cult of Stalin’, which began in 1929. The Communist Party deliberately promoted this worship of Stalin. Using the party's control over the media, he was presented as the 'Supreme Genius of Humanity'. His face now began to appear everywhere – in photographs and paintings, on the sides of houses and buildings. Cities and towns were renamed in his honour, for example, Stalingrad. He was given the title 'vozhd' meaning 'leader'. Children were taught to give thanks to him for their happy lives. Music, art and poetry were used to praise him. He was the "most learned of men", "the fount of all wisdom". He was treated like a God. Stalin also arranged for history to be rewritten, to emphasise him as the hero of the October Revolution and the Civil War. According to this new version, it was he who organised the Bolshevik takeover in 1917 and who devised the strategy to defeat the White armies. It came to define what new party members knew about Russian history.

No social change under Stalin had a greater impact on Soviet society than the Terror. Managers, doctors, scientists, artists, workers – all were subjected to the dead hand of Stalin’s secret police, the NKVD. This secret police enforced Party policy and ensured conformity to the Party's wishes. They targeted anyone who Stalin believed was a threat to his power. Stalin's policies of forced industrialisation and collectivisation led to increased opposition to him in the Communist Party. The infamous 'Purges' targeted many of the 'Old Bolsheviks' in the Communist Party, thereby removing most of Stalin's political opponents.
    Several million people who were arrested under these terms were sent to prison camps known as 'gulags', who were then used as slave labour in Stalin's industrial projects. The NKVD also supervised some of the major 5 Year Plans. In human terms, the cost was staggering. It is estimated that the number killed was 18 million between 1930 and ’39 – with 8 million dying in 1937-38 alone. Stalin’s aim was to intimidate the population into total submission, and in this he was very successful. Fear permeated every level of society as no one dared deny the supreme leaders influence and power.

By 1939, Russia was transformed from a backward semi-developed nation to one which could match the West in industrial output. However, Stalin’s achievements came at a terrible price. Economically, the agricultural sector lagged behind; by 1941 it was barely above its 1928 level. However, it can be seen that, despite the chaos caused by collectivisation, Stalin had achieved considerable success in his quest for modernisation by 1941. Stalin’s Five Year Plans mobilised the nation and concentrated resources on the industrial sector of the economy. Although Stalin's means of obtaining forced economic growth and complete totalitarian power were severe and incredibly cruel, I would argue that Stalin's industrialisation and modernisation of society and economy saved the Soviet Union from utter ruin during World War 2 and grounded it's place amongst the world's leading super powers.

very well written but i doubt anyone could learn all this off word for word. also it's too long and reads like a well written english essay rather than a well written history essay

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

very well written but i doubt anyone could learn all this off word for word. also it's too long and reads like a well written english essay rather than a well written history essay

It's a bad idea to learn any essay off by heart, one word could change the entire stance of the essay completely, and examiners won't like essays that seem like they're rote learned. Better to learn the information or at most lines/paragraphs that you can adapt easily.

ALLSOO, learning someone's essay will be obvious as your writing style will change. Better just to do it yourself honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

Stick to what you have. if the teacher graded it well and it is in the high B and / or A range you are fine. Otherwise if you haven't done any work in the last two years and you are only studying the topic now then it's too late in learning something new. No point in panicking now. Just learn what you have done and little point in fretting about stuff you haven't done.

rote learning essays is a receipe for disaster in a exam. a better method is to study a planned question close the book and give yourself 35-40 questions answering the question. then get your teacher to correct the question or check against the book and mark yourself using the marking scheme.

best of luck. you will do fine if you have the DBQ learned well and RSR done well

I have a massive folder full of notes I've done over the year. To be honest, I did a pretty negligible amount of essays, my teacher never really enforced it. I have a hugely safe amount covered, but my revision will consist of Saturday and Tuesday night, reading over them all and making spider web diagrams.

I got something like 63% in the mocks, and was really disappointed with that, I thought I did far better. To be fair, back then I didn't really understand the concept of "ANSWER THE ******* QUESTION!" and I went on a tangent, and I've gotten faster at writing. My RSR was around an A1/A2 standard, but writing even close to that quality on the day will be impossible. Still I feel like I just don't know when to mention something and when to omit it, when I should overlap with other chapters, etc.

Is there an equivalent to the PCLM English marking scheme for history?

RingoIRL wrote: »
    I have a massive folder full of notes I've done over the year. To be honest, I did a pretty negligible amount of essays, my teacher never really enforced it. I have a hugely safe amount covered, but my revision will consist of Saturday and Tuesday night, reading over them all and making spider web diagrams.

I got something like 63% in the mocks, and was really disappointed with that, I thought I did far better. To be fair, back then I didn't really understand the concept of "ANSWER THE ******* QUESTION!" and I went on a tangent, and I've gotten faster at writing. My RSR was around an A1/A2 standard, but writing even close to that quality on the day will be impossible. Still I feel like I just don't know when to mention something and when to omit it, when I should overlap with other chapters, etc.

Is there an equivalent to the PCLM English marking scheme for history?

Ok don't fret. Firstly you got a 63% in your pres. That is a ok mark and doesn't include your RSR. Secondly the pre's are not corrected to Leaving cert standard and you were in the middle of doing a course so that mark with a bit of luck should improve. As a teacher myself i'm not into the blame-the -teacher game but is there a reason why essays were not "enforced"? being honest is this down to the teacher or the fact the teacher might have been dealing with students or a class who wouldn't meet him or her halfway?

Always have a plan drawn up with starting a essay. Your spider grams will help. have a essay written in paragraphs each paragraph expressing one idea backed up with facts rather than opinion. then at the end of each paragraph address the questions asked. For example "Britains and Frances policy of appeasement at the Munich conference played it's part in allowing Hitler continue a policy of aggressive expansion" (the question being "Why did Hitler persue a policy of aggressive expansion in 1936 to 1939" The key idea here is that appeasement played a factor proven by the Munich conference, which you will write about in detail).

Concentrate on what you have learned , not on what you don't know or understand. If it's any comfort to you 25% of students who sit LC History get on average a A or B. Remember a good RSR + DBQ + 3 essays of a C standard will get you a B.

History marking scheme can be found in the exam papers or in the back of the textbook or sec.ie

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Does anyone have any tips on how to get consistent marks in essays in the exams? In the mocks by 1st essay was 80, 2nd was 75 and my final one was 65... This was down to timing and getting tired... What could I do to avoid this?

Troxck wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on how to get consistent marks in essays in the exams? In the mocks by 1st essay was 80, 2nd was 75 and my final one was 65... This was down to timing and getting tired... What could I do to avoid this?

firstly watch your timing. as you mentioned it was a issue. secondly practice wiring exams under exam conditions at home and thirdly hydration and diet (stay off the junk) and getting a good sleep the night before.

markwise that is pretty good average of 73 per cent or 220 marks. add a good RSR of 90 per cent and 80 per cent of DBQ and you could come out with a mark of 390/500 which is 78 per cent.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

firstly watch your timing. as you mentioned it was a issue. secondly practice wiring exams under exam conditions at home and thirdly hydration and diet (stay off the junk) and getting a good sleep the night before.

markwise that is pretty good average of 73 per cent or 220 marks. add a good RSR of 90 per cent and 80 per cent of DBQ and you could come out with a mark of 390/500 which is 78 per cent.

best of luck

Timing will always be am issue in History, I am afraid. I doubt my RSR will be an A1 standard but realistically I am looking at an B3/C1. I did a class test about two weeks ago under exam conditions on what I thought was my best topic, I got 70. This exam is not looking to be in my favour!

Troxck wrote: »
    Timing will always be am issue in History, I am afraid. I doubt my RSR will be an A1 standard but realistically I am looking at an B3/C1. I did a class test about two weeks ago under exam conditions on what I thought was my best topic, I got 70. This exam is not looking to be in my favour!

to be honest the paper should be 3 hours and aspects of the course should be reduced eg USA section. maybe more project work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

I'm not sure how I'll do in this exam as timing's my main issue. Writing a 6 page essay within 40 minutes? No thank you.

Stooped wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I'll do in this exam as timing's my main issue. Writing a 6 page essay within 40 minutes? No thank you.

I have this problem too so I just pack my paragraphs with so much information and only write 6, it's not advised but if it'll help me get 3 essays done and time to plan and look back over it I'm happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Stooped wrote: »

6 pages?? How big is your writing?? I wrote 4 in the mocks per essay and got 80%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I wrote like a 2.5 page essay in one question for my mock and got 70/100. 6 pages is excessive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement