Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

And we didn't even do Dickinson/Hardy.
    lololololololol /dies

What would you do if Yeats and Frosty came up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Cant express how ****ed and **** i am at poetry, can someone help i got 20 out of 50 in pres with no work i need a damn B , literally just going to use key notes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    What would you do if Yeats and Frosty came up?

I'd be happy! Well, not happy. Just relieved. Who feels happy during exams?
    I'd probably end up with Frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I'd be happy! Well, not happy. Just relieved. Who feels happy during exams?
    I'd probably end up with Frost.

Only people who balance their accounts in Accounting knows how it feels to be happy in an exam!

I'll be happy if I get a choice of Hardy or Plath; jealousy or gender in Othello; and both a theme and general vision question to come up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

Only people who balance their accounts in Accounting knows how it feels to be happy in an exam!

I'll be happy if I get a choice of Hardy or Plath; jealousy or gender in Othello; and both a theme and general vision question to come up :)

Hahah. Yeah, I'd like a jealousy question on Othello. Dreading the comparative tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

Anyone have a link to a good sample essay for literary genre? For I'm not scared, Juno and the paycock and how many miles

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Patsy6546 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to a good sample essay for literary genre? For I'm not scared, Juno and the paycock and how many miles

There is a sample essay for these texts in Key Notes if you have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ClaireF__

what are ye planning to study for Othello? :)

Good luck getting a Plath question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

is there a strong bet on the women to come up for othello ? would love a question on them to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lcstudent2015.

Is anyone else using "Pride & Prejudice" as their main text? If so what are you expecting to come up this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

So, I've only half prepared 3 poets, ENC, Montague and Hardy by learning themes and style but zero quotes. I also have about 3 quotes between my comparative and Othello and no essays prepared for either or the main 100mark essay. I got a B3 in the pre with no quotes and nothing prepared. Should I avoid learning quotes at this stage and focus on the possible topics coming up in the questions like relationships, themes, general vision, jealousy, love, hatred and characters etc. or just wing those and focus on quotes? All I want is a high C to get me into the 400s fairly handy.

So, I've only half prepared 3 poets, ENC, Montague and Hardy by learning themes and style but zero quotes. I also have about 3 quotes between my comparative and Othello and no essays prepared for either or the main 100mark essay. I got a B3 in the pre with no quotes and nothing prepared. Should I avoid learning quotes at this stage and focus on the possible topics coming up in the questions like relationships, themes, general vision, jealousy, love, hatred and characters etc. or just wing those and focus on quotes? All I want is a high C to get me into the 400s fairly handy.

Just when you're focusing on writing on say jealousy in Othello, apply quotes in the notes you make. Example:

Iago- sexual jealousy, thinks Othello sleeping with wife. Reason why he hates him,
    "and it is thought abroad that twixt my sheets..."
    Unrealistic motive, no evidence, "I know not if it be true".

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

Just when you're focusing on writing on say jealousy in Othello, apply quotes in the notes you make. Example:

Iago- sexual jealousy, thinks Othello sleeping with wife. Reason why he hates him,
    "and it is thought abroad that twixt my sheets..."
    Unrealistic motive, no evidence, "I know not if it be true".

So your notes are that short? Basically bullet points on the various themes and the respective quotes to compliment them? Seems like a decent system, gonna try that!

So your notes are that short? Basically bullet points on the various themes and the respective quotes to compliment them? Seems like a decent system, gonna try that!

Thanks, yeah sometimes I do it like that, others not! My language is usually my worst part out of the PCLM'S so sometimes I'd copy sentences online or wherever to make my points a lot stronger. It's nice to do bullet points, though. It gets rid of all that time wasted writing and reading "Iago tells us this:";"his shows that he is a manipulative character" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FoxScientist

English: I pray that Ni Chuilleanain comes up! Only poetry I like in english, Donne Hardy and Frost may come up.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY 'Studying'

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Gambling on Frost, if he doesn't come up I'm going to have to write some BS for another poet, in the mocks I just explained the titles of Emily Dickinsons poems!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

If a question about the women came up for Othello, what would the general gist of the question be

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

OMGeary wrote: »
    If a question about the women came up for Othello, what would the general gist of the question be

Possibly how the women are shown , like does shakepeare show them in positive or negative light?
    Or the role of women in the play ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Laurentf

Does anyone know if I'd have enough information to get an A in my comparative if I spoke about 4-5 topics/headings (like symbolism, tension etc) I got a B in the comparative in the mocks by doing this but might've lost marks for not engaging with the question. Any advice? Is it enough points to cover?

• Advertisement

Laurenom wrote: »
    Possibly how the women are shown , like does shakepeare show them in positive or negative light?
    Or the role of women in the play ,

By role of women do you mean how they are treated or what impact their actions have on the play?

By role of women do you mean how they are treated or what impact their actions have on the play?

basically the question could be about the role of the 3 women in Venetian society e.g how they all come from different social backrounds but live in a male dominated society and are subject to the same prejudices .

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Just wondering how everyone here studies for English? Like I have bullet point notes all done up on my poets, othello and comparative but when I got to study I don't really know what to do other than read of the notes and learn quotes?

AlfaJack wrote: »
    Just wondering how everyone here studies for English? Like I have bullet point notes all done up on my poets, othello and comparative but when I got to study I don't really know what to do other than read of the notes and learn quotes?

Something I do which really helps is recording myself saying the notes or essays and repeating it through headphones when i go to bed. I also write out the notes over and over again until I learn them

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dr..

For paper 2:

Single Text: Othello
    -Character of Othello
    -Character of Iago
    (I could do theme of jealousy from info learnt from both)

Comp:
    -Literary Genre

Poets:
    -Donne
    -Frost
    -Montague

7 days until paper 2 :/ This enough? if not what else, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jbsbfass

what is the prediction to come up in the comparative? Is there any trends from the previous years? GV+V , Theme or Issue or Litery Genre?
    Personally I would love of Theme or Issue came up !!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SB22

I've only learned Ní Chuilleanáin , Yeats and Montague. After reading though some of the posts I'm not as confident as I was. Considering doing Frost as well now seeing as we didn't do Hardy or Donne

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SB22

jbsbfass wrote: »
    what is the prediction to come up in the comparative? Is there any trends from the previous years? GV+V , Theme or Issue or Litery Genre?
    Personally I would love of Theme or Issue came up !!!!!! :)

Everybody I've spoken to is expecting Theme and Lit Genre. Tbh I find lit gen to be a pain in the backside. gv and v is a lovely mode but I'm forcing myself to ignore it as it came up last year

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ChloeMarrinan

Would it be too risky only covering Montague, Ní Chuilleanáin and Frost? Bearing in mind that my class didn't cover Dickinson or Hardy!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dr..

Would it be too risky only covering Montague, Ní Chuilleanáin and Frost? Bearing in mind that my class didn't cover Dickonson or Hardy!

Throw in Donne or Yeats and you'll be sorted

• Advertisement

Would love if Lit Gen came up :)

Would love if Lit Gen came up :)

Agreed. So easy. 68/70 on the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 robertwalsh97

Seeing as a woman always comes up, would it be safe to just study ni chuilleanain, dickinson and Plath? Although I may swap Plath for frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Seeing as a woman always comes up, would it be safe to just study ni chuilleanain, dickinson and Plath? Although I may swap Plath for frost.

A woman doesnt HAVE to come up. You're always risking it by studying less than 5 poets.

I know I might be pushing my luck but has anyone a sample essay on the comparative? doesnt matter what mode it is.. its just I haven't anything done for the comparative and i'm starting to panic, so i just hope to learn of an essay or two.. Please help I would be over the moon :) btw the three texts ive done are TKS, HMMTB and TGG, if you have an essay on anyone of those please let me know.. Thank you !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Does anyone have an example answer for a literary genre and theme question for this years comparative? (The King's Speech, Mister Pip, Translations if possible but any would do.)It'd be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leahdalton111

any predictions for single text pride and prejudice?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

Hi, I'm in the exact same position as you so know that you're not alone! I haven't done a thing all year and I'm really disappointed with myself as I know I could have done so much better than I'm going to do. But all we can do now is our best! I don't do geography so I can't help you there, but I'm just going to focus mainly on English Paper 2 for the next few days as it's my worst area.. I'm going to try and learn 4-5 poets.. montague, frost, donne, hardy and Ni chuilleanain .. I haven't a clue what to study for othello or comparative, to be honest if I pass I'll be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clodagh124

We've done Donne, Ní Chuilleanáin, Hardy and Frost

I've gone through the papers and they go as far as 2003 and Ní Chuilleanáin hasnt come up at all. Frost came up in 2011, Donne in 2008 and Hardy in 2006.

Plath has come up the last two years and Yeats last year and in 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

AlfaJack wrote: »
    Look at past questions, and plan roughly on a piece of paper how you would use what you know to answer them.
    Clodagh124 wrote: »
    We've done Donne, Ní Chuilleanáin, Hardy and Frost

I've gone through the papers and they go as far as 2003 and Ní Chuilleanáin hasnt come up at all. Frost came up in 2011, Donne in 2008 and Hardy in 2006.

Plath has come up the last two years and Yeats last year and in 2011
    Um, isn't it Ní C.'s first year on the syllabus?

They change round the poets every couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tiernand4

Anyone think Dickinson has a realistic chance of coming up ???
    I study Yeats Frost Hardy Plath and Dickinson ...
    I know Plath was up last year but I'm not sure about Dickinson coming up seeing as how Eil Ni C is 99% to come up

tiernand4 wrote: »
    I know Plath was up last year but I'm not sure about Dickinson coming up seeing as how Eil Ni C is 99% to come up
    Remember in 2012 when Plath and Heaney were 99% sure to come up
    Remember in 2014 when Heaney was 99% sure to come up
    Remember in 2015...... Everyone has as much a chance as the next person (except Plath probably)

tiernand4 wrote: »

I'm pretty confident Dickinson will come up. Rarely do they put up the most predicable ones. I think one should be counter intuitive when predicting. Just look at the 'Pleaney' year as an example.

Dickinson has got a great chance. Ni Chuilleanáin is on next year and in a few years time. She'll come up in her own time.

Three poets that are on our course we're on last year's paper. I'm not sure when the last time this happened was, but chances are that one of those will be repeated (Yeats and Plath are unlikely this year as well, despite Yeat's anniversary).

It's quite annoying, because I find her so hard to study! Don't understand what half of her stuff means! I hope they put on Plath again. One can dream! (I'll be crying with laughter if they do, especially since I'll be the one in a hundred who would be doing her!)

I know I might be pushing my luck but has anyone a sample essay on the comparative? doesnt matter what mode it is.. its just I haven't anything done for the comparative and i'm starting to panic, so i just hope to learn of an essay or two.. Please help I would be over the moon btw the three texts ive done are TKS, HMMTB and TGG, if you have an essay on anyone of those please let me know.. Thank you !!

I'm pretty confident Dickinson will come up. Rarely do they put up the most predicable ones. I think one should be counter intuitive when predicting. Just look at the 'Pleaney' year as an example.

Dickinson has got a great chance. Ni Chuilleanáin is on next year and in a few years time. She'll come up in her own time.

Three poets that are on our course we're on last year's paper. I'm not sure when the last time this happened was, but chances are that one of those will be repeated (Yeats and Plath are unlikely this year as well, despite Yeat's anniversary).

It's quite annoying, because I find her so hard to study! Don't understand what half of her stuff means! I hope they put on Plath again. One can dream! (I'll be crying with laughter if they do, especially since I'll be the one in a hundred who would be doing her!)
    Make than 2 in a hundred bud, you're not alone ;)

• Advertisement

Make than 2 in a hundred bud, you're not alone ;)

Haha, Plath to come every year for five years in a row! :D

Haha, Plath to come every year for five years in a row! :D

Well if she comes up this year, they certainly won't be expecting her next year.

Well if she comes up this year, they certainly won't be expecting her next year.

Yeah that's the horrible thing about it. I would have expected her to come up if she wasn't on it the year after. They'd probably run out of ideas for what question to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

This is the issue with her coming up (if she does) three years in a row. Where do they stop?! Plath to become a staple? WHO KNOWS

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

For the comparative I have to ask- How do you guys study this??
    Ive chosen a theme that works with all of them and chosen key scenes that highlight
    this theme and chosen key quotes that highlight the complexity of this issue but to be honest
    I have no clue how to study the comparative?? I can compare really well when I know what im
    comparing :/ My comparatives are Juno and the paycock, how many miles to Babylon and the kings
    speech and Im really hoping for an A. The theme chosen is relationships.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement