Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I doubt anything with a vodafone address will work.

Three aren't overly fussy about APNs....you could type in BOARDS and it would still connect...albeit speed might be slow. All other networks seem to need specific APN to work correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭deezell

Ten Pin wrote: »
    I doubt anything with a vodafone address will work.

Three aren't overly fussy about APNs....you could type in BOARDS and it would still connect...albeit speed might be slow. All other networks seem to need specific APN to work correctly.

I'm curious how it appeared, it seems it was supplied in the pushed configuration when PM finally got my porting through. I could give it a lash, I find it hard to resist tinkering. "If it's not broken, dont fix it , mess it up anyway"

Regarding APN types...

https://tamingthedroid.com/apn-type
    supl
    Indicates the current APN configuration may be used for Secure User Plane Location (SUPL) data, a feature that allows your phone to determine its geographic location from the carrier.

IIUC it tells your phone the location of the server you're connected to so probably used to customize browsing to your location.

AFAICS it can be deleted from APN type without affecting data access.

I'm curious how it appeared, it seems it was supplied in the pushed configuration when PM finally got my porting through. I could give it a lash, I find it hard to resist tinkering. "If it's not broken, dont fix it , mess it up anyway"

If it's switching back to a PM APN then it's probably because the VF APN connection was refused so it probably won't connect if it's the only APN on the list.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Regarding APN types...

https://tamingthedroid.com/apn-type

IIUC it tells your phone the location of the server you're connected to so probably used to customize browsing to your location.

AFAICS it can be deleted from APN type without affecting data access.

Very informative. It seems when I added 'dun' to the type list, it allowed the laptop use my mobile as a Dial Up Network. Other wise, it tried to use Vodafone MISP which had dun as the only type, but probably failed to connect as you said. It makes sense, the phone itself was connecting fine, and the laptop was connecting to the phone hotspot. If U turned on phone Wi-Fi and clicked Wi-Fi sharing in the hotspot settings, the laptop now had internet connect via the hotspot, but not if the phone Wi-Fi was off and data was through the AP, so it looks like the lapto was looking for an AP with a 'dun' type.

• Advertisement

It's possible the Vodafone AP is there for roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

deezell wrote: »
    It's possible the Vodafone AP is there for roaming?

Nope, I've just been tethering an android phone with a Post Mobile SIM in the UK and its got no Vodafone AP on it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Ok just picked up the sim from the PO and the guy submitted the port right away. I am on 48 which he hadn't on his system, so I just said they were using the Three network, so he selected Three. Fingers crossed it will port.

I plan to switch from 48.ie to An Post, because PostMobile runs on the VF network.

I am about to order a SIM card online.

But now I see that the SIM card can be got in a post office? For free?

I also note what you say about switching, the AnPost website does not list 48.ie as a possible previous operator.

So I can't select them.

How did you get on selecting Three?

I will read this thread further.

I appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Geuze wrote: »
    I plan to switch from 48.ie to An Post, because PostMobile runs on the VF network.

I also note what you say about switching, the AnPost website does not list 48.ie as a possible previous operator.

So I can't select them.

I appreciate any advice.

Go into one of the post offices that provide post mobile services and they will do the port for you and give you the sim afaik.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

So I can't select them.

I appreciate any advice.
    You need to select Tesco Mobile, not Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

So I can't select them.

I appreciate any advice.

Yes you need to select Tesco Mobile. I recommend going into the PO as I ordered sims online about 2 weeks ago and they still haven’t arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So I can't select them.

I appreciate any advice.
    You'll get the first month for free too. Go to a PO, the manual port over the phone is time consuming.
    Just so you're aware, you do get VF reception but the data speeds aren't as fast as VF but they are very respectable eg consistent 10Mb

Thank you all very much.

I will do this tomorrow.

I note that not all post offices offer "Postmobile".

Some offer: "Top Up mobile phone", but this is not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭lolie

Hi, apologies if its been asked before but will a Post Mobile sim work in a locked Vodafone handset?

lolie wrote: »
    Hi, apologies if its been asked before but will a Post Mobile sim work in a locked Vodafone handset?

I don't know for sure but in theory it should as they share the MNC whereas three, and 48 have different MNC numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Wanted to use the additional monthly credit for payments via Play Store Payment but it seems to think it is Vodafone, so tries to get a confirmation text via Vodafone.

Anyone have any idea?

My local PO did not have Postmobile listed but they were still able to give me a sim and do the port so best to give any local ones a try might save you travelling to a distant PO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭lolie

TheDriver wrote: »
    I don't know for sure but in theory it should as they share the MNC whereas three, and 48 have different MNC numbers.

Yeah thats why i asked, would be good if they did.
    I have an inlaw thats looking to get his first smart phone to check his calving camera when he's away at work and plans on buying one of the prepay phones on offer on Vodafone.

lolie wrote: »
    I've used one in a Vodafone-locked handset in the past.

After popping the sim into the phone and setting up automatic top up you could be forgiven for forgetting you were on PostMobile at all.

All evidence in the OS indicates everything is Vodafone.

537584.jpeg

537585.jpeg

537586.jpeg

537587.jpeg

• Advertisement

Mine comes up as An Post Mobile. The APN settings were Vodafone which had to be deleted and PM details put in manually.
    When I do a speedtest it comes up as Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Comes up as Vodafone on my iPhone too with APN settings locked

Thank you all very much.

I will do this tomorrow.

I note that not all post offices offer "Postmobile".

Some offer: "Top Up mobile phone", but this is not the same thing.

I went to main PO today. It was a simple process to switch:
    • they rang my mobile phone on front of me
    • Take some details, ask me am I on a prepaid plan or bill-pay
    • Yer man reads the notes that I had written down, based on what I learned here, i.e. for them to select Tesco mobile, not Three
    • Gives me SIM
    • Tell me to wait until I lose service from 48.ie, then switch the SIM cards

I lost service maybe 15 mins later.

I am now sitting at the same desk as before, in my house, and I have a signal, great.

And no longer do I see "SIM is refreshing" every five mins or so.

I expect to receive e-mails from 48 and Postmobile, but nothing so far?

I didn’t get any emails from either. My login for 48.ie just stopped working.

Dont forget to register here, https://my.postmobile.ie/
    Set up monthly payment, get your 1st month free and get full month instead of 4 weeks between topup.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

deezell wrote: »
    Dont forget to register here, https://my.postmobile.ie/
    Set up monthly payment, get your 1st month free and get full month instead of 4 weeks between topup.

wen u register in the post office u get the free month all done at the post office

wen u register in the post office u get the free month all done at the post office

Did you set up topup there?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Ported over yesterday in branch, and lost vodafone signal about 15 mins later .
    Inserted new Sim , and "An Post Mobile " showed up as network .

Signed up this morning on the an Post site and set up the auto top up .

Grand so far , with a few things to note -

Speed in my house is about 2-3Mb , about the same as my Vodafone Sim .(coverage is really bad in the house ) in the garden I get 5-7Mb (same as before .) Use WI-FI at home anyway.

Call signal is grand , same as before .

Was in Enniscorthy yesterday evening and got 10Mb , this afternoon I got 50Mb .
    Definitely not as fast as the Vodafone Sim , but fine for general use .

I had to delete the Vodafone APN settings and manually put in the An Post Mobile settings ( there should be an option to manually trigger a text with the settings required )

I also had to set my phone to "prefer LTE" instead of 5G ( no 5G here anyway :rolleyes: )

Apologies for rambling a little :)

Carrier billing doesn't seem to be an option in the Google Play Store .
    Is this the same for everyone or just because I'm in my free month and haven't added any credit ?

Post Mobile doesn't support Google/Apple carrier billing. None of the MVNOs do. Only works with Vodafone and Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Quackster wrote: »
    Post Mobile doesn't support Google/Apple carrier billing. None of the MVNOs do. Only works with Vodafone and Three.

Thanks ðŸ‘

Advertisement