Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

I'm after ringing 3 times and being told my contract will be cancelled no problem, but i have to leave 02.

If i wish to stay with 02 but cancel my contract, i can't. Staying with them is seen as accepting the new price plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are well within their rights to kick all these people off their network.

rebelccfc wrote: »
    I'm after ringing 3 times and being told my contract will be cancelled no problem, but i have to leave 02.

If i wish to stay with 02 but cancel my contract, i can't. Staying with them is seen as accepting the new price plan.

Sounds like the muck they were preaching to me, perhaps the call back dudes are more likely / have the authority to act.

Haddockman wrote: »

Well within their rights perhaps but 'tis a fairly retarded stance to adopt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

rebelccfc wrote: »

Not true.

Was transferred from contract plan to clear sim o2 to o2 unlimited (with 30 days breakout). Could've transferred to pay as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

RoverJames wrote: »
    Well within their rights perhaps but 'tis a fairly retarded stance to adopt.
    Why?

They must be really pissed at all the people leaving - even more so the people who want their contracts cancelled because they aren't happy with the terms of service - yet claim they want to stay on using the same terms.

People exercising that particular get out clause should be happy to leave, no? Unless of course they're taking advantage of a loophole and don't give a damn about a 1c rise in the tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Sorry lads but the rules are the rules, they changed the terms and you have legal entitlement. It's absolutely fair game to cancel the contract and then do whatever the hell you want after that.

^^ Who are you talking to?

Dades wrote: »
    Why?

They must be really pissed at all the people leaving - even more so the people who want their contracts cancelled because they aren't happy with the terms of service - yet claim they want to stay on using the same terms.

People exercising that particular get out clause should be happy to leave, no? Unless of course they're taking advantage of a loophole and don't give a damn about a 1c rise in the tariff.

They're pissed at people leaving and so they force everyone who wants to be out of their contract to leave too, you see some sense in that ? Seriously ? I won't say any more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Just got through there, and all cancelled.
    Was told I could stay on current plan if I wanted, or could move to Speakeasy or other network.
    Remaining on current plan (out of contract) for now, but can drop to Speakeasy at any time.

Thanks OP!

• Advertisement

snappieT wrote: »
    Just got through there, and all cancelled.
    Was told I could stay on current plan if I wanted, or could move to Speakeasy or other network.
    Remaining on current plan (out of contract) for now, but can drop to Speakeasy at any time.

Thanks OP!

Well done :D
    'tis fairly annoying the variation in response from the 1909 folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

My name's Frank and I'm now contract free.

I just a got a HTC desire a couple of weeks ago for 100 too.

Score.

OP, I owe ya a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Just as a matter of interest Haddockman how do you see it as that since the regulations state "without penalty" and any judge in any court would classify being kicked off the network as a penalty. Those exiting off contract to be honest are only exiting so they can be ready to jump ship or negotiate a better deal with the existing or alternative carrier. They (O2) were using T&C a while ago to force people to sign new 18 month contracts in order to change plans to better ones. What goes around comes around.

RoverJames wrote: »
    They're pissed at people leaving and so they force everyone who wants to be out of their contract to leave too, you see some sense in that ? Seriously ? I won't say any more ;)
    I see your point now having missed it the first time. :)

It does reek of cutting off the nose to spite the face. They must really be pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 artful_dodger74

O2 and the carriers in Ireland have been sticking it to the little people for years. The contract plans are an absolute joke compared to most of the other plans in Europe for the same price.

O2 had no problem quoting my contract when I rang and asked if I was due an upgrade. Despite being only 1 month away from that upgrade there was no budging them on getting out early. Even though I offered to pay to get out of the contract a month early.

So what goes around comes around. They cant have it every way. Loophole or no loophole. Morals or no morals. They can drop dead if they want me to feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Just got the callback there, very friendly guy.

Job done seemingly. I think my upgrade is still intact, so if I want to upgrade to iPhone 4 and sign a new contract then I can.

I have a sim free 16gb iPhone 4 reserved in Belfast, so reckon I'll just go for that and hop on the Meteor bandwagon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

At this juncture, having been relieved of an 18 month contract that I was already regretting after less than 1 month, I feel it would be appropriate to say:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

OP, I owe ya a pint.

Might just have to take you up on that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

So.. what would happen if I signed up to a contract today, and went to cancel it tomorrow? Do new contracts specify the increase in cost on the 12th July?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest Haddockman how do you see it as that since the regulations state "without penalty" and any judge in any court would classify being kicked off the network as a penalty. Those exiting off contract to be honest are only exiting so they can be ready to jump ship or negotiate a better deal with the existing or alternative carrier. They (O2) were using T&C a while ago to force people to sign new 18 month contracts in order to change plans to better ones. What goes around comes around.

I think the word penalty in the T&Cs refers to money penalty, as in they won't charge
    you for opting out. Hardly a penalty if they don't want you as a customer is it?

• Advertisement

I think the word penalty in the T&Cs refers to money penalty, as in they won't charge
    you for opting out. Hardly a penalty if they don't want you as a customer is it?

But it's unclear. It doesn't state financial penalty. T&C's need to be very specific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Antiprophet

Just called them and said i wanted out of contract so i could sign up for a new contract when the iPhone 4 comes out. was told i had to port etc.. called again, said someone in my office had done it a few minutes ago and she just said, "okay thats that sorted".

Going to call back in a while and ask when my contract is up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

liamw wrote: »
    So.. what would happen if I signed up to a contract today, and went to cancel it tomorrow? Do new contracts specify the increase in cost on the 12th July?

They will make you aware of it now, so no you won't be able to.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    You want to terminate the contract by citing a loophole fine, then o2 are within their rights not to do any further business with you.

If I was providing you a service and you wanted to terminate your contract early by use of a loophole, I would certainly not want you as a customer any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'm thrilled to be out of the 18 month contract.

But I would've liked to had the option to remain on Advance 150 on a rolling contract.

I wasn't given the option but it seems allot of people on here were. If I called back, what are the chances of them allowing me to do it?
    :p

Probably fat chance in hell!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sweet sweet freedom!!

You want to terminate the contract by citing a loophole fine, then o2 are within their rights not to do any further business with you.

If I was providing you a service and you wanted to terminate your contract early by use of a loophole, I would certainly not want you as a customer any longer.

agree to disagree on this one. But one things for sure many people have not been forced to leave O2 despite having contracts cancelled. That would be suicidal on O2's part as they'd loose customers to other organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭FungiWalsh

Just off the phone with a customer service rep (who was very pleasant throughout, which is impressive considering the amount of hassle this has no doubt caused them) and I'm officially out of my contract. They haven't kicked me off the network or anything either.

Many, many thanks to the OP! I also owe you a pint. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

a contract works both ways!! so you want a one sided contract eh? if you ran a business like that you wouldnt have any customers

• Advertisement

It is of course not one sided. But once the contract is terminated all bets are off as they say.

If o2 choose to retain certain customers and kick others off that is their option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement