Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

If I opt out of my contract advance 175.Can I port over to another network even though my phone is locked to o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

rebeve wrote: »
    If I opt out of my contract advance 175.Can I port over to another network even though my phone is locked to o2.

Yes. They should unlock the phone for you if they dont then thats a penalty and the regulations state no penalty. Just be nice but firm with them

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes. They should unlock the phone for you if they dont then thats a penalty and the regulations state no penalty. Just be nice but firm with them
    Nice 1,Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Tried to tell me that I would have to leave the network , I was having none of it , getting put through to another department now .

let us know how you get on - my OH is getting the same run around at the moment but I was released from my contract yesterday with no hassle and can continue as an uncontracted O2 customer

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭fitz

Fionagus wrote: »
    let us know how you get on - my OH is getting the same run around at the moment but I was released from my contract yesterday with no hassle and can continue as an uncontracted O2 customer

+1. Would be interested to hear how you get on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Is there normally a big price difference between getting an iPhone on upgrade compared to a new contract?
    Can a person get a iPhone on launch day with upgrade?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I got out fine yesterday, my sister had some difficulty on the phone but told her to quote artilce 17, once she did that no problems.

My brother tried to do it yesterday evening and he had to make 3 calls. He kept calling me saying they would not change it for him but whne I told him to quote Article 17 ......Hey preasto...Out of his contract.

Must say though 02 are getting some bad press on this forum.

Dont get me wrong I am delighted to be out of my contract 14 months early, but 02 IMHO are a good company with excellent customer service. Have always been a pleasure to deal with. I have been with them for 8 years bar one year I went to Vodafone (was not that please with them). I have no real intentions of jumping to Vodafone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Woop , now outta contract , she kept saying I would have to leave the network,

I was having none of it what so ever and just kept repeating myself :
    "Under regulation 17 of the European Communities regulation 2003 I have to right to withdraw from my contract with out penalty as I dont agree to the modifications to the contract "

I asked her to tell me where it stated that I have to leave the network and said that this would be a penalty , she realized at this stage that she was not getting anywhere with fobbing me off and said she would have to check it out .

Put me on hold for five mins , and came back and said its done now and I am contract free .

She would not mail me over confirmation but has assured me that I am now off contract , gave me her name .

I am gong to ring to make sure I am off contract later on today , but I am a happy camper now I tell you.

Bottom line here is , if you dont hold your ground you will pushed over and fobbed off !

That has made my day !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Purpleone

"Under regulation 17 of the European Communities regulation 2003 I have to right to withdraw from my contract with out penalty as I dont agree to the modifications to the contract "

I asked her to tell me where it stated that I have to leave the network and said that this would be a penalty , she realized at this stage that she was not getting anywhere with fobbing me off and said she would have to check it out .

Put me on hold for five mins , and came back and said its done now and I am contract free .

She would not mail me over confirmation but has assured me that I am now off contract , gave me her name .

I am gong to ring to make sure I am off contract later on today , but I am a happy camper now I tell you.

Bottom line here is , if you dont hold your ground you will pushed over and fobbed off !

That has made my day !!!

Hey - well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

potsy11 wrote: »
    Must say though 02 are getting some bad press on this forum.

Dont get me wrong I am delighted to be out of my contract 14 months early, but 02 IMHO are a good company with excellent customer service. Have always been a pleasure to deal with. I have been with them for 8 years bar one year I went to Vodafone (was not that please with them). I have no real intentions of jumping to Vodafone.

Agreed, I've always thought their customer service was good....apart from those annoying "just ringing you to see how your current plan is suiting you" calls.
    It just suits me to be out of contract now as the wife wants an iPhone4 and we can go to whichever network has the best deal for her without any problems.
    No problem if thats with O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

That has made my day !!!

If she won't send an email go on to the O2 Forum and ask the mods there to confirm that you are contract free and can cancel at any time with 30 days notice, you will get it in writing there !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've had it up to my eyeballs with being on hold and arguing over the phone with Sky and ESB recently..

Will 02 deal with me if I try to cancel via email?

http://www.o2online.ie/help/contact_us_query_form.shtml might be a way to go?

Excuse my lethargic nature at the moment :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

connundrum wrote: »
    I've had it up to my eyeballs with being on hold and arguing over the phone with Sky and ESB recently..

Will 02 deal with me if I try to cancel via email?

http://www.o2online.ie/help/contact_us_query_form.shtml might be a way to go?

Excuse my lethargic nature at the moment :p

They might although you may be giving them an opt out. I can see it now.

"Due to the large number of emails we are currently receiving it will be a while before we get back to you say the 13th of July!!!"

I'd call if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I am going to move to voda as my parents have moved the home phone to them and can ring me for free, it will save them a lot overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

OP - I could fuppin kiss you!

:)

In a moment of madness a few weeks ago, I went from clear sim to an 18 month contract for a HTC Desire.

Didn't like the Desire so sold it and went back to my iPhone. And now you've allowed me to get out of that damned contract!

Wahey!! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭fitz

That has made my day !!!

Just had the same experience, though she didn't put me on hold. Called me back within 2 minutes. Excellent service once I got speaking to the team dealing with the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

cheers OP.

best thread ever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

quad_red wrote: »
    OP - I could fuppin kiss you!

:)

In a moment of madness a few weeks ago, I went from clear sim to an 18 month contract for a HTC Desire.

Didn't like the Desire so sold it and went back to my iPhone. And now you've allowed me to get out of that damned contract!

Wahey!! :)

. . .and made a tidy profit i'd assume :D fair play. . .jammy bastid

I'm waiting on the call back from them, she was telling me I'd have to leave o2, told her I wasn't having that. In fairness to her she claimed she is acting as directed by her supervisor, she said one of the team will ring me later. I also emailed them last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Just off the phone to them I signed up on 18 month contract on Monday and am now contract free so in other words I got a Htc desire for 160 euro cool or what Boards is the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Just got released there no bothers at all...they were extremely mannerly etc

But they would not release my parents contracts who were on the 02 release edge package

How do I fight their corner? I said I wasnt happy with the 11811 thing and they said that wasnt nothing to do with it etc?!? They said they would ring me back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

vodafone are loving this...

..rats off a sinking ship...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I gotta commend O2 on this. If anything, it makes me likely to stick with them.

I deal with Vodafone in work and have been with O2 personally for years and I would always rate O2 higher on customer service.

And given 90% of my family and friends are on o2, it's still cheaper overall to be with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jacko493

can someone point me to this article 17 in the terms and conditions, can't seem to see it, apologies for the stupid question just seems to be one of those days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

jacko493 wrote: »
    can someone point me to this article 17 in the terms and conditions, can't seem to see it, apologies for the stupid question just seems to be one of those days :-)

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

quad_red wrote: »
    I gotta commend O2 on this. If anything, it makes me likely to stick with them.

I deal with Vodafone in work and have been with O2 personally for years and I would always rate O2 higher on customer service.

And given 90% of my family and friends are on o2, it's still cheaper overall to be with them.

Absolutely, even though I've been released from my contract I've no intention of leaving O2. Their customer service is second to none

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Same here, they have been excellent.

Just means I can now get the new iphone for a new customer price and cancel my old contract

Absolutely, even though I've been released from my contract I've no intention of leaving O2. Their customer service is second to none

You wouldn't be of that view if two of their 1909 customer service folks were telling you you can only opt out of your contract if porting to another network. If anything they are pushing me to f off.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

So Rang up. Got the script that the iphone was expensive and the contract covered this expense not just the phone tarrifs. States Reg 17, then the tune changed and they said i had to leave the network. I said that was a penalty, the changed tune. so i can stay on the network now. they offer new contracts and price plans. etc.

end results is out of contract 10 months early and unlock code on the way. Great customer service. but savage prices for the plan so i can now look around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Even worse, they are stopping their webtext service from 3rd Aug !

No more Eirtext or Jelly SMS !!!!!!

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

Ah ffs :( That app and those webtxts save me a good bit :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement