Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

kilburn wrote: »
    Brutal sorry to hear that what course was it and did you apply for others?

Maybe contact springboard to reset your applications
    py wrote: »
    What college and course?

Griffith College’s Postgraduate Diploma in Big Data Management and Analytics.

I had a bunch of other offers but they were all cancelled by accepting that one. I've got in touch with Griffith already and they seem happy to allow me to take another offer but it's a completely different field so a bit risky career-wise. Applying for a few others right now. I'm sure I'll get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I had a bunch of other offers but they were all cancelled by accepting that one. I've got in touch with Griffith already and they seem happy to allow me to take another offer but it's a completely different field so a bit risky career-wise. Applying for a few others right now. I'm sure I'll get something.

Best of luck hope you get sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

roro1990 wrote: »
    Are you enjoying your course, out of curiosity?

Yeah thanks, shaping up nicely so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Anyone doing a cert in computer programming in DCU know the timetable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I have a few offers, but I’m desperately scared to accept because of the intensity of the course. It didn’t say on springboard or the college website any indication of the timetable. But both offers are 3 evenings per week 6-10pm plus some Saturday’s.
    That’s a serious commitment alongside working a full time job which doesn’t finish to 5:30/6pm each day. I can see why they are targeted at people out of work now.

I did a part time degree when I was younger, level 8 and it was 1 full day per week 9-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭This is it

Griffith College’s Postgraduate Diploma in Big Data Management and Analytics.

I hope you get sorted, all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭bren2001

Jet Black wrote: »

Timetables are not yet finalized but the majority of the material will be asynchronous which means you can just do it in your own time. Timetables are not really a thing for first semester this year.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I have a few offers, but I’m desperately scared to accept because of the intensity of the course. It didn’t say on springboard or the college website any indication of the timetable. But both offers are 3 evenings per week 6-10pm plus some Saturday’s.
    That’s a serious commitment alongside working a full time job which doesn’t finish to 5:30/6pm each day. I can see why they are targeted at people out of work now.

I did a part time degree when I was younger, level 8 and it was 1 full day per week 9-5

That's pretty heavy alright. I've 6-10 one evening and 6-8 another with the odd Saturday per semester, and I'm going to struggle with that and the time for assignments as it is.with working full time and other commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

I've been a student in DCU Connected before. It tends to be 1 online midweek lecture and 1 on site weekend lecture per month. I'd hazard a guess that both of those will be online this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Cheers, I was trying to work out the calendar and I was thinking it would be two days in the week, on set days and some Saturdays. GF is doing Mondays and Wednesdays so trying to work a schedule.

7j4Jj5f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Cheers, I was trying to work out the calendar and I was thinking it would be two days in the week, on set days and some Saturdays. GF is doing Mondays and Wednesdays so trying to work a schedule.

You might send me the link to that calendar via PM please. What I've found is this link which says timetables will be out on 28th September but perhaps that is for full time students. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I've never done third level before but finding out if ya need books/timetables, 10 days for student advisors to reply. God, the whole thing is ridiculous. Impossible to plan anything. Great jobs these people have faffing about.

FFVII wrote: »
    I've never done third level before but finding out if ya need books/timetables, 10 days for student advisors to reply. God, the whole thing is ridiculous. Impossible to plan anything. Great jobs these people have faffing about.

You're unlikely to need books, timetables would be handy obviously. A laptop, an a4 pad and a few pens/pencil will sort you out for the first few classes and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'd say that's a bit harsh and they are under far more pressure than you realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭bren2001

Module descriptors are available in most Universities. You can read what modules are on your course and see what the recommended texts are. You'll be told in the first lecture if you should actually purchase one. The notes usually suffice. The timetable is a bit tricky at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

This is interesting - it certainly is a commitment.

Out or curiosity if you have paid the 10% contribution fee and the course timetable turns out to be a lot more demanding than what was originally stated e.g. 3 evenings a week (with one evening mandatory) instead of two evenings a week (neither mandatory) as originally stated. Would you have grounds for a refund if you dropped out immediately due to being unable to give the commitment required?

Irish94 wrote: »
    This is interesting - it certainly is a commitment.

Out or curiosity if you have paid the 10% contribution fee and the course timetable turns out to be a lot more demanding than what was originally stated e.g. 3 evenings a week (with one evening mandatory) instead of two evenings a week (neither mandatory) as originally stated. Would you have grounds for a refund if you dropped out immediately due to being unable to give the commitment required?

Would doubt it, the colleges will be trying to grab all they can this winter. The lecturers will have it handy with everything online

Would doubt it, the colleges will be trying to grab all they can this winter. The lecturers will have it handy with everything online

Far more prep in online work than an in class lecture I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bacondope

Does anyone know for the UL online lectures, must you attend for the time they are on or would you be able to do it during the evening or when you had time if you missed the orginal online lecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

bacondope wrote: »
    Does anyone know for the UL online lectures, must you attend for the time they are on or would you be able to do it during the evening or when you had time if you missed the orginal online lecture?

For my UL course you don't have to be online for the actual lecture, you can just watch the recording

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    That's pretty heavy alright. I've 6-10 one evening and 6-8 another with the odd Saturday per semester, and I'm going to struggle with that and the time for assignments as it is.with working full time and other commitments

Yeah I’d love to have done software development at NCI, but 6-10pm mon, wed & fri plus a number of saturdays 9-6 would have driven me into a mental breakdown I think. I don’t get finished work most nights to 6:30 as it is so at least it would have nipped that in the bud!

The other one was HDip in Business conversion but again it was Mon, Tues We’d 6-10pm with one night on campus at TU.

Cancelled them both and will now see what’s left after everything’s been picked over and a lot of deadlines have passed!

Has anyone ever done a course with CCT college Dublin? Any reviews? (Diploma in data analytics for business L7)

I’m a bit skeptical, I’m sure they’re fine but just had never really heard of them in Dublin until springboard this year.

I saw someone else post on here that the same course was available in 5/6 colleges and they ranked in order of merit/advice of which one to pick, CCT was the bottom one :o:confused:

It’s also only a level 7 diploma. I’ve done a level 8 , 4 yr degree before, does it help on your cv at all or less regarded?
    I am taking this course in the hope that I’ll be able to change industries into a new career. However I’m not sure if employers look upon level 7s any less, should I be challenging myself and doing at least another level 8 or a masters / postgrad level 9?

Don’t want to waste a year either,, there’s a higher diploma level 8 available of the same course that goes another semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

Started a post grad in LYIT from this scheme, going well so far although the idea of learning python with minimal programming experience is daunting to say the least.

They're already hinting at converting from the post grad included in the springboard course to a masters for an extra fee but in the grand scheme of things getting a masters for €2000 or so isn't the worst thing considering 10 grand would be the normal fee.

Certainly I can see the logic from the colleges side with the issues they'll face over the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Has anyone ever done a course with CCT college Dublin? Any reviews? (Diploma in data analytics for business L7)

I’m a bit skeptical, I’m sure they’re fine but just had never really heard of them in Dublin until springboard this year.

I saw someone else post on here that the same course was available in 5/6 colleges and they ranked in order of merit/advice of which one to pick, CCT was the bottom one :o:confused:

It’s also only a level 7 diploma. I’ve done a level 8 , 4 yr degree before, does it help on your cv at all or less regarded?
    I am taking this course in the hope that I’ll be able to change industries into a new career. However I’m not sure if employers look upon level 7s any less, should I be challenging myself and doing at least another level 8 or a masters / postgrad level 9?

Don’t want to waste a year either,, there’s a higher diploma level 8 available of the same course that goes another semester.

I'm doing the level 7 with them, was a bit dubious myself but we'll see how it goes

My last third level stint was in CCT. I was dubious myself, that was back in 2012, but all in all I thought they were fantastic. You'll always have some lecturers that are better than others but in my two years there and having had probably 6-7 different lecturers I think there was only one that I didn't feel was particularly good, the rest were excellent.

I enjoyed it so much last time that I applied again this time for CCT, and thankfully got a place. I'm starting on Tuesday. I don't know how well it will run online but 2012-2014 it was an excellent experience and I'd definitely recommend them. My course was computer science, not sure what the business lecturers are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Yeah I’d love to have done software development at NCI, but 6-10pm mon, wed & fri plus a number of saturdays 9-6 would have driven me into a mental breakdown I think. I don’t get finished work most nights to 6:30 as it is so at least it would have nipped that in the bud!

The other one was HDip in Business conversion but again it was Mon, Tues We’d 6-10pm with one night on campus at TU.

Cancelled them both and will now see what’s left after everything’s been picked over and a lot of deadlines have passed!

That sounds like it won't have been tough all right! I've got 6-8 Monday and 7-8 Thursday and no saturdays so I feel lucky, it's a L9 post grad cert in Biopharmaceutical Processing

That sounds like it won't have been tough all right! I've got 6-8 Monday and 7-8 Thursday and no saturdays so I feel lucky, it's a L9 post grad cert in Biopharmaceutical Processing

Do you have previous pharma experience yeah? Sounds very particular that one , innopharma ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Do you have previous pharma experience yeah? Sounds very particular that one , innopharma ?

I did chemical engineering in college but never managed to get into pharama as worked in other industries, got laid off from Oil and Gas over in Aberdeen due to downturn and home now and starting this course and starting a job next Monday so things have worked out quite well! I think you can do the course with a science or engeering degree, or if you had experience in the pharma industry already from what I recall. It's run but Sligo IT but based out of NIBRT in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Applied for a course with a listed deadline of the 28th of September; it allowed me to go through with the application and submit all documentation. Seemed very smooth.

Description on the providers website said applications were due the 31st of August and course was due to start September 7th. I imagine it changed due to COVID-19 lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Most courses seem to be online.
    Broadband coverage is poor where I am.
    It is ok on mobile.
    Worried about the that.

Advertisement