Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

cefh17 wrote: »
    Yeah but the 250 is more than 10% (not by much I'll admit!), I should be eligible for the 10% which is why it#s confusing

Strange all right, my course was €6,000 as listed on website, but my fee was €530, so in my situation I was obviously not complaining that I was having to underpay by €70. Wonder what the reason for variances are.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

cefh17 wrote: »
    Has anyone in NUIG looked at the fees page yet? For my course it's 2060 for EU students but fees page has me needing to pay 250. Wondering has that happened to anyone else?

The course I applied for is 4000 and I paid 500 euro as my "10%". well my employer actually paid it, but it is a bit cheeky alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I haven't heard anything regarding payment from Sligo yet, thought it would have been done through the registration last week

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything regarding payment from Sligo yet, thought it would have been done through the registration last week

I know obvious and I'm sure you have! but have you checked spam?

My email was from somebdoy at NIBRT requesting the fees as it seems to be run through the Sligo IT systems and infrastructure, so assuming yours isn't NIBRT I can't give you a contact.

I have - usual random foreign emails but nothing from Sligo in there. I've emailed and asked but they just confirmed the registration process & that was it. It allows me to pay fees of €3,428 for the full academic year, but this doesn't seem right for a Springboard course

• Advertisement

I have - usual random foreign emails but nothing from Sligo in there. I've emailed and asked but they just confirmed the registration process & that was it. It allows me to pay fees of €3,428 for the full academic year, but this doesn't seem right for a Springboard course

yeah you shoudl get a seperate email form springboard, don't pay the full amount anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Anyone doing a course in IT Sligo know anything about getting a student card?
    https://library.itsligo.ie/get-started/online-learner/

FFVII wrote: »

Hadn't even thought of this, but now that we can't get them due to Covid I feel i'm missing out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Cant believe some are complaining about the 10% lark. It cost me 500 euro for a course which was just under 4k....Would gladly pay double.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the email with your registration details says to choose the pay later options.

but communication from the college has been pretty lax so far.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I selected that alright, just want to pay so its all done and sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Yeah, I selected that alright, just want to pay so its all done and sorted
    likewise that money is burning a hole in my pocket:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

mad m wrote: »
    Cant believe some are complaining about the 10% lark. It cost me 500 euro for a course which was just under 4k....Would gladly pay double.

Everyone's circumstances are different. I'm employed so the 10% wasn't that big a deal but if you're on pup or a low earner then it's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

mad m wrote: »

Wasn't complaining, just wondering what was the discrepancy :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Just wondering, So i got accepted on a part time course and i am currently unemployed, my question is if i get a full time job during the term i presume i will have to pay the 10% fees?

Just wondering, So i got accepted on a part time course and i am currently unemployed, my question is if i get a full time job during the term i presume i will have to pay the 10% fees?

You were offered place while unemployed. It's up to you to inform them. Cant see them asking for 10% on fact your circumstances changed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

No you won't.
    It depends on your status when you accept the course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I signed up for a springboard course, I have to pay the 10% as I'm in employment.

I'm not long in my job and I know I can be let go anytime. They have now extended the PUP for new applications and has been extended until the end of the year. However, the PUP is not an eligible payment for a springboard course.

So what does that mean for me if I lose my job and if I want to continue on with the springboard course?

Do I have to apply for jobseeker's to continue on the springboard course? You get more on the PUP, so it doesn't make sense having to choose a lower payment to continue on.

If you are on the course you continue regardless of your employment status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The whole point of Springboard is to get people into employment, so getting a job during your time on the course wouldn't be unexpected/unanticipated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭FDave

Has anyone else receiving the PUP been told they have to change to job seekers allowance in order to qualify for a springboard course

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Zeuss

I've been told to apply for BTEA and move to JSB in order to qualify for springboard course. It doesn't make sense having to choose lower payment to do the course, seems to be very complicated and no clear guidelines on this process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Got accepted into a postgraduate diploma in cybersecurity today. That's thrown a spanner in the works for me. I am 30 years old and looking to retrain down a new career path. Cybersecurity interests me, but the more I've read about it, the more it seems you need good coding knowledge for it.

My bachelor's degree in actuarial science had very little coding in it. I was going to take the CompTIA Security+ cert this December to gauge whether I would actually like to work cybersecurity or not and then maybe do a higher diploma in software development next September.

My concern if I choose this postgrad course and attain the diploma is that it won't do anything for my employment prospects in cybersecurity. There will be candidates for most jobs who have solid computer science background whereas I'll seemingly be entering into the field from this random position of having a degree in actuarial science and with just a postgrad diploma to my name. Even a cursory look at the cybersecurity job postings online seems to require coding experience and general IT experience that I lack.

Decisions decisions...

Just got this email
    We regret to inform you that due to insufficient numbers, the course will not run this autumn. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

What a disaster to find this out so late

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Brutal sorry to hear that what course was it and did you apply for others?

Maybe contact springboard to reset your applications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Just got this email

That is awful, I am so sorry. Hopefully you can get on a similar course offered by somewhere else,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Just got this email

What college and course?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

roro1990 wrote: »
    Got accepted into a postgraduate diploma in cybersecurity today. That's thrown a spanner in the works for me. I am 30 years old and looking to retrain down a new career path. Cybersecurity interests me, but the more I've read about it, the more it seems you need good coding knowledge for it.

My bachelor's degree in actuarial science had very little coding in it. I was going to take the CompTIA Security+ cert this December to gauge whether I would actually like to work cybersecurity or not and then maybe do a higher diploma in software development next September.

My concern if I choose this postgrad course and attain the diploma is that it won't do anything for my employment prospects in cybersecurity. There will be candidates for most jobs who have solid computer science background whereas I'll seemingly be entering into the field from this random position of having a degree in actuarial science and with just a postgrad diploma to my name. Even a cursory look at the cybersecurity job postings online seems to require coding experience and general IT experience that I lack.

Decisions decisions...

@RoRo1990 - I've just started a PGDip in Cybersecurity, and as a (former) employer within IT, I believe that if a candidate has the mathematical ability and logical mindset required to do a degree in actuarial science, then the rest of the IT stuff (coding etc) can be taught.

If you want to play to your demonstrated strengths then there are some interesting avenues within security, such as encryption, which are more mathematically oriented than programming oriented.

Good luck with your decision...

kilburn wrote: »
    Brutal sorry to hear that what course was it and did you apply for others?

Maybe contact springboard to reset your applications

Very unfair to do this to you, yes contact springboard straight away and see what they are willing to do for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

fast_eddie wrote: »
    @RoRo1990 - I've just started a PGDip in Cybersecurity, and as a (former) employer within IT, I believe that if a candidate has the mathematical ability and logical mindset required to do a degree in actuarial science, then the rest of the IT stuff (coding etc) can be taught.

If you want to play to your demonstrated strengths then there are some interesting avenues within security, such as encryption, which are more mathematically oriented than programming oriented.

Good luck with your decision...

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, specializing in cryptography had crossed my mind. I am just worried that I might go through 12 months of this diploma and not really end up positioning myself as a good candidate for a cybersecurity role. I was considering just doing a higher diploma in computer science instead, but that would be over 2 years instead of 1.

Are you enjoying your course, out of curiosity?

Advertisement