Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

Somewhat relevant -

There was a TV panel show in 1950s America called I've Got a Secret. Essentially it was that someone would come out in front of the panel, talk about themselves, and it was up to the panel to ask questions and figure out why the person is there/what they have done. On this particular instance, they have something astonishing - a 96 year old man who was at the Ford Theatre when he was a child... the night Lincoln was assassinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Interesting to note the blatant advertising of Winston cigarettes on the desk and also on the desk of the panel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Somewhat relevant -

There was a TV panel show in 1950s America called I've Got a Secret. Essentially it was that someone would come out in front of the panel, talk about themselves, and it was up to the panel to ask questions and figure out why the person is there/what they have done. On this particular instance, they have something astonishing - a 96 year old man who was at the Ford Theatre when he was a child... the night Lincoln was assassinated.

He died due to that fall he had in the hotel before he went on the TV show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Interesting to note the blatant advertising of Winston cigarettes on the desk and also on the desk of the panel!
    But to be fair they gave him some pipe tobacco as he wasn't a ciggie smoker. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Probably posted before but seen as Fr Alec Reid passed away today it is worth a re-post.

A Catholic priest administering last rites to a dead/almost dead Protestant British Soldier at the height of the troubles and in the middle of a huge Republican funeral takes some guts.

RIP.

SDtFTdZ.jpg

EDIT: Credit to Aru who first posted it in this thread #670 on 12-12-2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

tumblr_m9q10tDwGJ1rexr3so1_1280.jpg

The assassination of JFK. 50 years ago today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Time wrote: »
    tumblr_m9q10tDwGJ1rexr3so1_1280.jpg

The assassination of JFK. 50 years ago today.

Is this a reconstruction image? I've never seen this photo before:confused:

EDIT - Never mind, it's from a TV re-enactment. Cool image though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Looks like it:
    Secret Service agent Clinton Hill (stuntman Larry Hill) rushes to get Jacqueline Kennedy (actress Christine Rose) back into the car after her husband President John F. Kennedy (actor Don Gazzaway) was shot by an assassin. The action was all part of a made for TV reenactment movie being filmed in Dallas. (UPI Photo/Files)

Read more: http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/Features/The-48th-anniversary-of-JFKs-assassination/fp/5934/#ixzz2lNlQ2bUI

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I suspect that this is not an original photograph......

gerrybbadd wrote: »

No i believe its genuine, its just not as common an image. Alot of the images used are cleaned up stills from this video (or at least are from an almost identical viewpoint)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Time wrote: »
    No i believe its genuine, its just not as common an image. Alot of the images used are cleaned up stills from this video (or at least are from an almost identical viewpoint)

Read above

Read above

That was postied, as i was posting myself

Yeah, somewhat thought that it would have been a faked/reconstruction photo. If you look at any videos, it really looks like there was a substantial amount of damage to Kennedy's face - there doesn't appear to be any in that photo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The saddest thing about that moment is that apparently Jackie wasn't trying to escape out the back of the car after the bullet hit his head. She was trying to retrieve a piece of his skull that had landed on the hood of the car. http://www.newser.com/story/143414/chilling-memoir-jackie-tried-to-save-piece-of-jfks-skull.html
    In a chilling new memoir of the day JFK was assassinated, a former Secret Service agent said Jackie Kennedy leaped onto the back of the presidential limousine in a desperate bid to save her husband by attempting to retrieve a piece of his skull. She then climbed back into the seat and cradled Kennedy's head in her arms, saying, "Jack, Jack, what have they done to you?"

You can see in the original Zapruder film right at the end that she looks like she's getting back into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Didn't shake anything. But I thought it belongs in this thread.

There are two inscriptions on the prison's perimeter: "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights," and "All persons deprived of their liberty shall be treated with humanity and with respect for the inherent dignity of the human person."

ay59LPY_460s_v2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Thats better than where i live..........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thats better than where i live..........
    Mountjoy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Possibly a discussion for another thread.

Nice prison vs recidivism rates in Ireland
    http://www.iprt.ie/contents/2516
    The highest rate of recidivism was among those who had served a sentence for burglary and related offences (79.5%).
    So our prisons don't change behaviour in 4 out of 5 of them.
    The lowest rates of recidivism were among those originally imprisoned for homicide (26%) and sexual offences (29%).
    Didn't realise it was that high

One in four murderers gets caught and found guilty of killing again. :eek:
    You could even work out how many lives would be saved by having longer sentences. :mad:

Norwegian Prison system - The Daily Fail has nice pics

article-1384308-0BF0134500000578-746_634x345.jpg

article-1384308-0BF0133500000578-681_634x354.jpg

article-1384308-0BF0134100000578-386_634x297.jpg

article-1384308-0BF0132100000578-896_634x286.jpg

article-1384308-0BF0131100000578-502_634x352.jpg

article-1384308-0BF0133D00000578-172_634x361.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1384308/Norways-controversial-cushy-prison-experiment--catch-UK.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

One in four murderers gets caught and found guilty of killing again. eek.png

No. One in four murderers went on to commit some other offense, but not necessarily murder. Could be a traffic violation, tax evasion, not paying their TV license etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

On the prison theme:

Escape from Alcatraz

gty_alcatraz_escape_kb_130320_blog.jpg

alcatraz-escape.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not Earth shaking but a really cool (imo) overhead view of Central Park in New York.

central-park-overhead-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Is this the real life
    Or is this just Sim City?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

Reuters photos of the year. Some pretty amazing ones here.

**Warning some graphic content**

http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2013/12/01/best-photos-of-the-year-2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

For the day that's in it. many people thought it would never happen. February 11th 1990

nelson_mandela_released_from_prison.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Some images from the year:

http://imgur.com/a/rFmNh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Maybe it didn't shake the world exactly, but a beautiful photo of people celebrating independence on O' Connell Bridge at midnight before Easter Sunday, April 1949.

cropwm.jpg?img=-36-3671-2SXCF00Z&x=0&y=0&w=1000&h=1000&size=2&maxw=1178&maxh=629&q=100

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

keith-sapsford.jpg
    A young stowaway, Keith Sapsford, 14, falls 200 feet to his death yesterday from a Japan Airlines jet airliner taking off from Sydney, Australia, and bound for Tokyo.

Photo was taken by Sydney amateur photographer John Gilpin. The boy had run away from a "boys' town" in Sydney Saturday to see the world. He apparently stowed away in the wheel housing of the airliner several hours before the plane took off. When the door of the wheel housing was opened after takeoff so the wheel could be retracted, the boy fell to his death.

Article

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Maybe it didn't shake the world exactly, but a beautiful photo of people celebrating independence on O' Connell Bridge at midnight before Easter Sunday, April 1949.

cropwm.jpg?img=-36-3671-2SXCF00Z&x=0&y=0&w=1000&h=1000&size=2&maxw=1178&maxh=629&q=100

i thought we gained independence in 1922 ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

A V A wrote: »
    i thought we gained independence in 1922 ?:confused:

Republic of Ireland Act 1948

Those people are celebrating it coming into force and the Ireland Act 1949 being passed by Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

eqqzc3.jpg

Advertisement