Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Syria, before the war and today.

Umayyad mosque, Aleppo, pictured in 2012 (above) and 2013 (below)
    Umayyad-Mosque-in-Aleppo-001.jpg

Souq Bab Antakya, Aleppo. Above in 2009 and below after an attack in 2012.
    Souk-Bab-Antakya-in-Alepp-001.jpg

The Old Souk, Aleppo. Above in 2007 and below in 2013
    The-Old-Souk-in-Aleppo-001.jpg

A street in Homs, in 2011 (above) and 2014 (below)
    A-street-in-Homs-Syria-in-001.jpg

al-Kindi hospital, Aleppo. Above in 2012 and below in 2013
    Al-Kindi-hospital-in-Alep-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Looking at the above makes you realise how easy we have it here. And people bitch and moan about this little island of ours with no wars, famine or serious natural disasters to cripple us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

"The Mount St. Helens Eruption of 1980 taken by Robert Lansburg. Lansburg was only seven miles from the summit when it erupted and, knowing he was doomed, he snapped as many pictures as possible before placing his wallet and camera in a bag and lying on top of it before he was incinerated by the ash cloud. The film was damaged by the heat, but salvageable."

eructation_01b.jpg
    eructation_01a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

800px-Dead_woman_from_the_My_Lai_massacre.jpg

My_Lai_massacre.jpg

Just some of the hundreds of innocent victims of the My Lai massacre by American forces during the Vietnam war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

From the Facebook:

<snip>

Mod: Well leave it on Facebook. Neither relevant to this thread nor allowed by normal Boards rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Found this on reddit. It's too incredible not to share.

On this day in 1986, the Challenger shuttle exploded just 73 seconds after launch. This is live CNN coverage of the launch and explosion. Lift off is at 38 minute mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

<<<snip>>>

What has this got to do with photos?

Afghan refugees in Islamabad, Pakistan. You'd have to wonder at what the future holds in store for them. looking at these photos I can only think of the saying "There but for the grace of God go I" .
    Pakistan is home to one of the world's largest refugee commune including hundreds of thousands of Afghans who have fled fighting in their country. AP photographer Muhammed Muheisen has visited children living in a slum on the outskirts of Islamabad to shoot these amazing portraits

1ee06d81-dadf-429f-ac97-7a2daf86df76-320x480.jpeg
    Six-year-old Noorkhan Zahir

5688c61b-3d56-4b7c-a125-1baa477c671e-320x480.jpeg
    Four-year-old Safia Mourad

c6b8689a-10df-469b-bba2-b0ec49672f1d-320x480.jpeg
    Khalzarin Zirgul, six, holds her cousin, three-month-old Zaman

88a5c5b1-11c7-419d-a1d4-f651e3c62281-320x480.jpeg

Shahzada Saleem, 15, holds his nephew, two-month-old Satara

4aae4f94-fce1-4eab-86e5-bc200d3c621c-320x480.jpeg

Five-year-old Robina Haseeb

9b2ad782-6a34-4fb8-be9b-9a9e41bce614-320x480.jpeg
    Three-year-old Basmina

72c0e76e-6a56-4d11-9773-7d93a194939f-320x480.jpeg

Four-year-old Madina Juma'a

489735e9-c46c-4268-b9ff-a53913f039ab-320x480.jpeg

Six-year-old Laiba Hazrat. Photographs: Muhammed Muheisen

More of them here: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/jan/28/muhammed-muheisen-photographs-afghan-refugee-children-in-islamabad-in-pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Brilliant topic. Just after finding it now and going through all the pictures bit by bit, many thanks to everyone posting the pics.

Grimebox wrote: »
    Found this on reddit. It's too incredible not to share.

On this day in 1986, the Challenger shuttle exploded just 73 seconds after launch. This is live CNN coverage of the launch and explosion. Lift off is at 38 minute mark.

I was watching this recently and, if I recall correctly, one of those pieces you see fly away contained the passenger pod, which was relatively intact. There is no way of knowing if they died during the explosion, if they had survived but were knocked unconscious, or whether they were all fully awake as it plummeted to the ground.

It is always chilling to know that a teacher was one of those that were among the crew- her students were essentially watching her teacher die live on air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I was watching this recently and, if I recall correctly, one of those pieces you see fly away contained the passenger pod, which was relatively intact. There is no way of knowing if they died during the explosion, if they had survived but were knocked unconscious, or whether they were all fully awake as it plummeted to the ground.

It is always chilling to know that a teacher was one of those that were among the crew- her students were essentially watching her teacher die live on air.

I read a book a few weeks back, John Young's autobiography (he was Commander of the very first shuttle mission, and Astronaut Office manager) and in it he stated that one or two of the crew had activated personal oxygen packs and that the Pilot (who would be the co-pilot in an airplane) seemed to have taken some action, that some switches were in a setting that they would not have been prior to launch, so it seems that after the initial explosion and disintegration he was aware and alert for at least a period of time

Just noticed - at 46:44 into the video, you can hear someone clapping when the reporter says, "You can see a parachute" and then another voice shouting, "Don't clap, we're on the air".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I read a book a few weeks back, John Young's autobiography (he was Commander of the very first shuttle mission, and Astronaut Office manager) and in it he stated that one or two of the crew had activated personal oxygen packs and that the Pilot (who would be the co-pilot in an airplane) seemed to have taken some action, that some switches were in a setting that they would not have been prior to launch, so it seems that after the initial explosion and disintegration he was aware and alert for at least a period of time

Yep, NASA can't state for definite how many of the crew were awake/aware (nor for long) for the 2-3 mins of their upward trajectory and subsequent free fall. Hopefully the cabin lost air pressure so they'd have gone unconscious long before they hit the water (with a deceleration of over 200g). I watched most of the footage above, the anchors were a bit blasé about the launch, given that any successful space launch is really a minor miracle. As this and the Columbia disasters prove; it only takes one small thing to go wrong for things to go pear-shaped very quickly (a rubber O-ring freezing solid in the case of the Challenger and some of the tiles on the Columbia's heat shield coming off.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I'd recommend this documentary (only the trailer, can't find it one YT), which brilliantly dramatises the attempted cover up that followed the disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

It's pretty likely the crew (or most of the 7) survived challenger explosion.

The crew-cabin impact with the sea @207mph is probably what killed them.

You can make out the cabin in the video above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

donvito99 wrote: »
    I'd recommend this documentary (only the trailer, can't find it one YT), which brilliantly dramatises the attempted cover up that followed the disaster...

That was a superb documentary about Richard Feynman and his role in the Challenger Enquiry.

In the film, they do mention that the oxygen had been activated which meant that some of the astronauts were alive after the explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Delphi91 wrote: »
    That was a superb documentary about Richard Feynman and his role in the Challenger Enquiry.

In the film, they do mention that the oxygen had been activated which meant that some of the astronauts were alive after the explosion.

I saw that documentary, excellent stuff, the astronauts on board survived the explosion but it was the impact forces on landing that killed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I remember while watching Felix Baumgartner do his jump from really high up one of the commentators said that the suit he was wearing had been designed by the husband or partner of one of the Challenger victim's. He hoped that if Felix could survive from that height that if their was another disaster that the astronauts could bail and survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

ken wrote: »
    He hoped that if Felix could survive from that height that if their was another disaster that the astronauts could bail and survive.

I'm not sure of the physics of escaping a catastrophic malfunction at the speed Challenger was doing but there are tried and tested systems for escaping launch-pad fires/explosions.

Here's a Soyuz crew's rocket powered escape capsule blasting them away from almost certain death when the bulk of the vehicle catches fire on the launch pad.

Anne Lovett died 30 years ago yesterday, she was about a year older than me, and I lived 20 miles away at the time. Seriously shocking stuff at the time, as it would be as well if it happened today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Lovett

Byrnee.jpg

image.jpg

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=jhoRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5JQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4787%2C146122

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Her sister aged 14 died less than three months later. Did she kill herself? The father died young too - few years later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's just so sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Red Kev wrote: »
    On Saturday night, the 4th of February 1984, Ireland's most popular television show was coming to an end, when the host read this headline from the next days' Sunday paper: "Girl, 15, Dies Giving Birth In A Field".

With the words "Nothing terribly exciting there", the newspaper was cast down on the studio floor by the 'Late Late Show' host, Gay Byrne.
    That is disgusting :eek:

I wasn't aware of this girl's story and it has really got to me. She was just a girl, little more than a child but she felt she had to give birth in secret. God knows what was going through her mind but for her to pick a Grotto to give birth suggests she was probably hoping for some forgiveness and/or help from Mary in her hour of need. She would've been so scared and in horrendous pain and it says that when she was found, she had wrapped the child in her coat, obviously trying to take care of it. The whole situation is very tragic.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=jhoRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5JQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4787%2C146122
    Her death was only the tip of the iceberg. With illegal births increasing from 1900 ten years ago to to 4300 in 1982....
    What is an illegal birth? Were children born from unmarried couples considered illegal?

On contraception:
    Most girls said they won't use contraception for fear they would be considered too calculating: pregnancy is rarely seen as a real possibility.
    Legally, contraception in Ireland is only available within marriage and even then only for "bona fide family planning reasons"
    Doctors and chemists may refuse to provide condoms (legally requiring prescriptions)...
    But women let Michelle down.....her mother told her never to ask her help in getting contraception. "She said she never used it, so why should I. If I got pregnant, she said, she would give me money for an abortion".
    I thought I knew that things were bad in the past but nothing has hit home more than this story. When I think about how easy it is now for me to access the pill. I'm not in a relationship, so I don't even need the pill as a form of contraception but my doctor prescribed it to me to level off my periods.

What women and girls had to endure years ago is shocking.

Poor Anne :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Taking the name of this thread slightly literally, a 30m Sinkhole which appeared in Guatemala City in 2010, killing 15 people. Terrifying
    2010_Guatemala_City_sinkhole_%28aerial_view%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Guatemala_City_sinkhole

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Closer to home
    _72716436_hole.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-26014076

_72708545_sinkhole_4_buckfire.jpg
    Describing the moment Zoe Smith realised her car was missing, she said: "I went to walk out the front door and obviously my car wasn't there and I thought 'Oh my that's a bit strange'.

"So I went back inside, looked out of the window thinking someone has stolen my car.
    "There was just a crater at which point I screamed the house down.

"I'm quite lucky I've got parents who are good in a crisis and said, 'It's okay, it's just a car and you weren't in it'."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sinkholes freak me out so bloody much, I dunno what it is about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dave! wrote: »
    Sinkholes freak me out so bloody much, I dunno what it is about them!

I think it's pretty obvious.

There's an aerial video of that sinkhole here, starts at 2:09

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Please cut the needless chatting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

5006_2379.jpeg

Guess who they are before you scroll down.

The defense ministers of Norway (Ine Eriksen Søreide), Sweden (Karin Enström), Netherlands (Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert), and Germany (Ursula von der Leyen).

Advertisement