Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Earth Shattering

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i've seen that defense ministers photo retweeted several times .. i don't get it

is it just because they're women?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i've seen that defense ministers photo retweeted several times .. i don't get it

is it just because they're women?

I think so. Probably because the defence minister is considered a very important role in most countries and is typically held by men. Saying that considering two of those four countries have a female prime minister it's not even that big of a deal that their minister of defence is female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Is it just me or is it counter productive to equality/feminism etc. for this photo to be considered note-worthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Photos of famous landmarks while they were under construction

http://io9.com/photos-of-famous-landmarks-while-they-were-still-under-510437453

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Photos of famous landmarks while they were under construction

http://io9.com/photos-of-famous-landmarks-while-they-were-still-under-510437453

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

When Tower Bridge was being built there was a massive debate at the time about whether the internal steel structure should be clad in stone or just left bare to reveal the inner workings. A lot of architects at the time were against the stone cladding as they felt it was being dishonest as to the true workings of the structure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Why Jan. 13, 2014, Went Down As One Of The Biggest Days In Global Health Since You've Been Alive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

beatles.jpg

50th anniversary the other day of The Beatles' appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. While they were big in England and, to a lesser extent, Europe, this show-one of three in a row- really started the British Invasion of music in the 60's. 73 million watched the show, a record at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,276 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Quit the goddamn needless chat. Infractions or bans will be handed out if necessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

tumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo8_500.jpgtumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo9_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo2_500.jpg
    tumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo6_500.jpg
    tumblr_n11tjfTiIJ1syme9oo7_1280.jpg

Christian mobs mutilate Muslim minority in Central_Africa Republic, The world remains silent whilst Christians slaughter Muslims, Quran’s are being burnt, Mosques vandalised, their flesh is being eaten even after death! Ethnic cleansing of Muslims in Central Africa, whilst the UN wants you to believe it is a SECTARIAN ‘clash’. If Muslims retaliate or Al-Shabab react back they are labelled to you as 'Terrorists', crusades is massacring everyone who follow utter lailahailallaah (There is none worthy of worship except Allah). May Allah (SWT) curse be upon the murderers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seeing Photos like above makes me appreciate living in Ireland.

Yes we dont live in a perfect country, but its heaven compared to many parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The world is not silent regarding the CAR.

This conflict has been in the media for months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

im in my mid 20"S and im on tumblr. i know people(my age and above) blast it as a youth site for teenage angst and what ever , but every day things like this come and it lets me know whats going on in the world !!!! im utterly shocked at the things i see on my stream and for things of this nature to still carry on in this day and age is ridiculous , yes our "world" has internet and technology and we are shown all this information about what is going on ,but is it not time for us to actually do something about it ?? i know thats easy for me saying this behind a keyboard but if there was some sort of way of prevent these sort things from happening, i would try. i guess if one shows another and shares it around, that is doing something , that is the first step!! even tho im in my mid 20's , we didn't have access to internet from our pockets ,wifi and tablets etc but in a way im glad for the technology in our "world" , so that we can start to see everything that is going on in the world, and be grateful for our freedom and our basic luxuries we use everyday that we don't know exist ,that we take for granted for nearly every second of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Photos of Abandoned venues from the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympics.

http://imgur.com/a/vcjRc

Photos of Abandoned venues from the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympics.

http://imgur.com/a/vcjRc

The Official Mascot was called "Vucko" Ha!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The world is not silent regarding the CAR.

This conflict has been in the media for months.
    It's just not been in the 'edutainment' section of news that spends an inordinate amount of time on z-list celebs. Even the main evening news on most channels misses out on stuff that's covered on sister channels.

Seriously if you haven't seen reports about the CAR you need to broaden your sources of news.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp/story.asp?NewsID=46667&Cr=Central+African+Republic&Cr1=
    12-05-2013Central_Africanrepub.jpg
    A regional peacekeeper checks an abandoned home in one of many deserted villages lining the road south of Bossangoa, Central African Republic. Photo: IRIN/Hannah McNeish 5 December 2013
    With the deteriorating situation in the CAR “characterized by a total breakdown of law and order” and widespread human rights abuses, notably by former Séléka rebels and militia groups, the Council unanimously adopted a resolution authorizing the International Support Mission, an African Union (AU) peacekeeping force known by its French acronym MISCA, as well as the deployment of French troops to assist it.

The Rwandans and French are also there now.

can't find the original quote but this is being very very cynical and has some truth in it , - in most of these situations both sides are bad, there is no moral high ground and the people suffer because opportunities to heal/ build bridges weren't made
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_places_in_Yes_Minister
    . It was granted independence in the 1960s, approximately twenty years before the Yes, Prime Minister series was set. Unlike India, Cyprus, Palestine and Ireland, the country was not partitioned, causing misgivings by Sir Richard Wharton, the Permanent Secretary of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. He cynically believed that partitioning the former colonies caused civil wars, making the people of these countries spend all their time and energy fighting each other, rather than someone else. After all, "it saved us [i.e. the United Kingdom] having a policy about them."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Bgm1OcMIEAAz8ec.jpg:large

(@boucherhayes)

A four year old fleeing war comes walking out of the Syrian desert ... alone.

^^That is one of the saddest photos I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

^^That is one of the saddest photos I have ever seen.

If only it was true. Sorry to be a buzzkill :(.
    The United Nations refugee agency has been forced to clarify its position on a series of photos showing people crossing the desert into neighbouring Jordan, after one appeared to show a four-year-old boy making the journey alone.

The little boy, named Marwan, was just one of around 1,000 refugees making the long and difficult journey to escape the war-torn country, and was temporarily separated from the rest of his family during the “chaos and confusion” of the crossing itself.

Marwan was carried across the border by officials with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – and was reunited with his mother around 10 minutes later.

At no point did the UNHCR say the boy made the crossing alone, but the powerful image was seized upon by social media users on Sunday, and become one of the most shared pictures of the day.

syria-marwan-large.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-crisis-image-of-4yearold-boy-marwan-crossing-into-jordan-captures-plight-of-refugees-9136290.html

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

@Jimmy Iovine: even that photo you posted is powerful, clearly denoting the desperation of the Syrian people to cross an entire desert just to get away from the disaster that is their lives in Syria. Also, what they have on them in the photo is all they have. :(

• Advertisement

If only it was true. Sorry to be a buzzkill :(.

TBH I am glad you posted that as it eases the sadness. Now its still sad to see people young and old fleeing, but seeing a kid behind his family is much easier to take then seeing a kid by himself(I was thinking he might have lost his family).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Time for something a little more light-hearted perhaps.

I saw this photo and thought it was just some American high school/homecoming/4th of July pageant. Then I looked closer and recognised a face in the middle of the crowd. The things you are called on to do for your country...

image-660315-galleryV9-vicx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

pPXgfu9l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Burgo wrote: »
    pPXgfu9l.jpg

Pardon my ignorance - where is this? Is it Kiev?

markesmith wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance - where is this?

Kiev

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Pretty sure it's before and after rather than the one shot. Probably obvious, but just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's before and after rather than the one shot. Probably obvious, but just in case.

Thank you, I didn't cop that :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

470808915_custom-e467eb4c2b602d9ac84a775f24ddf487d826781d-s40-c85.jpg
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/21/280721193/photo-on-a-miami-highway-strangers-help-save-a-baby
    Pamela Rauseo performs CPR on her nephew, 5-month-old Sebastian de la Cruz, after pulling over on the side of Florida state road 836 on Thursday.

Hard to find any words for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

140219_PHOTO_Kiev_17.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

ap509514028295.jpg

e4022_widemodern_kiev_pistol_012214.jpg

Protests-in-Kiev-014.jpg

police-take-cover-shields.jpg

705cca95-19ae-4cc5-89ae-619c1d6c5fcd-620x413.jpeg

140219063226-01-ukraine-0219-horizontal-gallery.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

1065587.jpg