Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Team named. Guessing Glennon is injured as he's featured in every game so far. Niland should take over free taking duties which should be an improvement on C. Cooney. Full forward line is where its at for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

I think we're in for a short summer with both teams. Neither management seem willing to build around the teams we have and instead have decided to build around their own ideas of how the game should be played.

We'll end up going long today and to who? Niland, Whelo, Concannon? None of them want long dropping ball. Conor Cooney doesn't either. Cathal Mannion named in the corner but obviously going to play as a third midfielder so wexford will have that sussed before the game even starts.

I think we're in a battle with Dublin for the third spot in Leinster.

3 wides and no score in two mins... Normal service has resumed.

Take Cooney off the frees FFS.. he shouldn't even be on the team. 4 wides for him alone and another absolutely awful conversion rate being racked up here.

Being a trend lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The amount of wides is ridiculous already. Game would be almost done and dusted with a bit more accuracy

• Advertisement

This is absolutely septic stuff and exactly the gameplan I expected from Shefflin. Ball after ball lumped into a crowded square and we have lost all but one or two. It's stone age hurling and against better teams we'll be decimated.

Tom Monaghan and Darren Morrissey have been excellent

Well done GMAC... Bail them out with a stupid free.

Worst Galway team I've ever seen and never been more livid after a game.

Beyond useless.

J.Cooney shots a 2v1 into the defender which would have finished the game.

Conor Cooney just can't take the free and has to get it thrown in... Another great contribution today from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Average Galway team. Long ball wasn't working in first half but it never stopped. That's on management. Worrying how there was no plan B. And if Whelan is injured now it's curtains entirely to get out of leinster. Ref tried his best there to get the equaliser. Cooney didn't take any longer than he would over a free earlier in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Whelans hamstring injury looked high up the leg.

The slowest one to recover from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Galway absolutely threw that away. Pity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Not the end of the world. A point in Wexford is ok.

A lot will be learnt from today. Driving the ball into the forwards when we are outnumbered is madness

No luck towards the end ... Ref a complete joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

The driving ball into the forwards went on for the whole match. Was sure they'd chat at half time and come out with another plan. Worrying how the old school tactic never changed

Well Shefflin did the same thing throughout the league. What makes you think he's going to learn anything. As I said previously, he played and was successful in a team that won its own ball up front and seems to think its the way the game should be played.

Time has moved on. The game is vastly different and possession is truly valued now. Unfortunately I don't think Shefflin has copped on to this yet and will continue to do it as he thinks it's the right way to play. It also ignores the fact that the forward lines of those kilkenny teams loved that kind of ball and many were vastly superior to some of the forwards we had on the pitch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Grealish, Monaghan and Morrissey impressed me in spite of the disappointing result. I do think it's possible that we could win the remaining 4 games if Whelan is back for KK. That kinda wide count today is always going to be punished by quality teams and I think Wexford got plenty of soft frees in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 laymansterms

I wouldn't be as downbeat as some of the others on here. It's criminal to lose a 6 point lead like that but momentum is huge in hurling and there is no doubt that the ref got caught up in that momentum. It was very harsh blowing up cooney like that for the free.

So many of our young players had good games which is another step in their development. The ball into Whelan and Concannon was very good in the first half and they were excellent. Galway won't have those wides anywhere else - the wind was changing direction all game. You could see even wexford struggled and they are used to it!

I would like to see us stop that Puck out routine of Murphy to Burke and back to Murphy for him to puck it long anyway. We seem to get more joy going direct to the half forward line and Murphy is well able to pick a pass.

Biggest worry imo is our forward subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That's a typical Galway performance, bad wides keeping the opposition in the game and giving the opposition the opportunity to get something out of the game near the end. We've seen it so often in the past we shouldn't really be surprised at it anymore. The reality is if we can't beat Wexford we're not going to do anything this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Exactly. Long ball in, in front of the front 2, worked excellently in the first half and had the WX FB line in knots. Wasn't as good in the second when it was going in a bit too high. The main downer from yesterday was how the HF line disappeared very much so after the break. Conor as usual was hot and cold while Fahy and Niland were completely out of it - why did it take so long to change them? Our subs were largely ineffectual because they had so little time to make an impact. As good as our midfielders were, I think they don't defend so well, while no. 6 still bears scrutiny. Need to rejig it for the weeks ahead I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That pass from goalie to fullback and back to goalie for a long shot is pointless stuff. It's actually rubbish. The goalie is hitting long on the run and can pick out no one. It's amateur stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Is Shefflin just very slow to make subs, or just not much on the bench for him ?

Wexford used subs much better

• Registered Users Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Poor performance by Galway in a game that should have been out of sight at half time.

Even the first Gwy goal the lad took eight steps..maybe even nine.

Lot of barging with the ball and taking the ball into the tackle.

Only one free for the latter offense.

Needs to be cleaned up.

Would have very little faith in Sheflin, based on that display.

• Advertisement

I think he's just not a very good manager. We went through 80 odd minutes yesterday and nothing changed tactically in the entire game no matter whether we were on top or on the back foot. Anyone that did come in was purely to fit into an existing system and wasn't designed to ask different questions of the opposition.

Once we were 20mins in wexford knew what we were about and began closing off the areas we were hurting them. We never reacted to that and to be quite honest I'm surprised we got as much joy as we did for as long as we did with wexford conceding the short puck out. They gave us that advantage the entire match yet we never went through the lines to draw out the defence or pick off scores at range.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 laymansterms

Surely it's harsh to be saying he is not a very good manager. He is only in his 4th month as an intercounty manager!

I must be very optimistic because I thought the performance was much better than I expected! Galway controlled most of the game and just couldn't see it out as Wexford subs hada bigger impact than Galway.

Clueless ball in? For about 15 mins at the beginning of the second half I agree as Whelan and Concannon retreated out the pitch and no one filled the gap inside which ended with some aimless ball bring hit in which was very frustrating. Other than that I thought Whelan/Concannon worked brilliantly inside together and had Wexford in a lot of trouble. I was sitting at the Galway attacking 21 in the first half and they were very in sync with their movements.

Like Wexford we aimed to win/lose the game with our full forward line so plenty of ball played in long from both teams. Thought our full back line had a great game. Grealish/O' Connor had a great old fashioned battle. Daithí and Morrissey were equally strong. On another day McDonald doesn't get a second bite of the cherry for the goal.

With these positives Galway still were the architects of their own downfall. Think I had them marked for 10/11 wides after 20 odd mins (in both teams defence they breeze was a b***h swirling around) Whelan butchered a first half goal chance when put clean through and Joseph Cooney was selfish when should of been passing in the second.

Conor Cooney had a poor start (not sure it made sense him being on frees with Niland starting. Frees can help a player like Niland grow into a game) but Cooney set up the goal/point from play/ball winner and scored the rest of his Frees after the early misses. Thinks its unfair to put him in the poor category.

Niland and Fahy weren't in it much and subs little impact. Worry.

Overturned free at the end was a joke. End of. While the Wexford fans were quiet for most of it they were in full voice by the end and definitely influenced the ref. If the ref felt he was taking too long add the time on. How long did it take Fanning to saunter up to take the penalty? Longer than Cooney took I'd imagine. Massive decision to make and a terrible decision.

Post edited by Happyilylost on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Galway along with Cork are serial underachievers in the GAA in my opinion. They are both the two biggest counties in Ireland, yet Galway have only won three senior all Irelands in both codes since 1988, and Cork have only won four senior all Irelands since 1990.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

And what has he shown. Is this another Joyce situation where it takes two years for people to admit he's not up to much.

As a manager you're duty is to assess the players available to you and then create a game plan to suit the strengths of those players. There should be a clear development and direction to that plan and also the ability to have a secondary gameplan to use when your main plan isn't working.

Imo the gameplan doesn't suit the players and it hasn't changed or developed one iota since the start of the league. We'll see more of the same in the next few games. It will be enough to dispatch the lesser teams and we'll struggle against KK and Dublin. We played long ball against Dublin before and they ate us. KK love it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭briandebum

If we're being honest with ourselves, we need to recognise we probably don't have the players for an All-Ireland this year or next year. The goal for us needs to be the development of the 4 in a row minor players through to senior level. So that's why I'm not too disappointed with the Wexford game, Shefflin has found a few lads who had good performances, thought Monaghan was great.

Nobody new had a good game though. Glennon could when he plays but to this point, nobody has came in and shown themselves to be AI standard. And we're nearly through those 4 teams now. There's really only the 4th team to pick off now(it probably was the best of them to be fair).

I'd hold it against Shefflin for putting Cooney on the frees though, we already knew his free taking was average and Niland was as good as anyone in Ireland. Yet he puts Cooney on them who misses two easy ones early in the game. Difference between the win and draw despite all the other crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

i say henry is iffy about Niland from open play, hence leaving conor cooney on the frees. Niland seems to do his best work in a central position in terms of getting on breaks etc, but just doesn't seem to have the appetite for the work rate required at wing forward, whereas Fahy on the other wing worked hard and got his tackles in but unfortunately for him things just didn't go for him on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sadly, hearing some very tragic news in camogie circles this morning. Thoughts and prayers with all families concerned.

• Advertisement

Henry can be iffy all he wants but as manager he needs to take a certain amount "one game at a time" approach. If Niland doesn't do enough to start then the next best takes frees.

Conor Cooney has a checkered history on frees. After a disaster game against Ballyea in 2017 Cooney voluntarily took himself off frees for club and county. He's worked his way back from a very low ebb on them and even now I still see him on the low 80% conversion bracket. All I've seen of Niland he is mid to high 90% bracket. In modern day hurling that's a big difference. And it can have benefits for both as well. Cooney is heavily involved in Galway games (for better or worse) whereas Niland was very much on the outskirts of the game and I think knocking over a few frees could bring him into the game and get a bit of confidence into him.

Advertisement