Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

gypsylee wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. I will be one of the slower runners on this thread so I will try not to compare myself to anyone else. Once I make it over the start line and the finish line I will be very happy.

Seriously don’t worry about pace. There will be all levels here but everybody will cross the same finish line and get the same medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Best of luck to this year's novices! This thread is great support. Enjoy the training, the journey is one of the best parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

I have been waiting for this thread since the day after DCM 2017 when I found last years thread!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Not sure raced would be the correct verb but I have participated in a number of events in which other people raced!
    5K recent pb of about 26 mins, 10k of 56 mins. These have been faster in the past. Did a HM a few years ago also in approx 2.05.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Didn't do much running in 2017 as i was doing a lot more cycling and gym work. However. since the turn of the year I have built up running mileage to approx 35-40km at the moment. Will hold it here more or less until I start the HH N1 plan.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Getting across the finish line is my main aim. Would love to finish it in under 4.30 but at the moment, it wouldn't be the end of the world if that doesn't happen. I have plenty of scope to lower my PB I think, as I am a bit heavier than i should be at the moment. Finishing the marathon, getting my 5k and 10k times down slightly and losing a few pounds would be a very successful few months for me!!

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Intend to run 3-4 days a week, with a little bit of cross training combined, mainly gym work.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Not finishing on the day or not being able to make the start line. Have spent the last 6 months thinking and getting excited about the marathon. I have really built myself up to do it so being around Dublin City on the day and not participating would be pretty disappointing!

Why are you running this marathon?
    It has been something that has been in my head for a long time. Spent a lot of my early 20's terribly unfit and fairly overweight. Have got much of this in hand over the past few years and completing the marathon would be a bit of a milestone. I also was at the finish line last year for a period and was overwhelmed by it. Decided I would be crossing it in 2019 rather than standing beside it!

(sorry i am not a regular boards poster and don't know how to bold the headings!)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

ariana` wrote: »
    Brownbinman delighted to see you back here, yay :) I think one of the key contributors to shin splits is building up the mileage too quickly so let's be very careful in that regard ok.

Thanks Ariana. I've been working hard lately on the basics, doing 5-6km. Will post my plan tomorrow as it's in office. I just found 3 days in row too much on the legs. Bike in and out of work on different days helps too

Really considering signing up again. Might get checked out by physio first though

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

DCM boards.ie novice thread was my bible in 2015! Forever grateful to Dubgal72, she was amazing and glad I got to meet her twice (she gave out to me for standing around in my sweaty top after the half haha) Love the supportive atmosphere in this thread, I'll probably end up popping in on my sad-run days for some encouragement :P

Good luck to everyone doing their first marathon, one of the most incredible experiences of your life.

My advice to newbies: make time to fit stretching, whether it be yoga, Pilates (whatever works best for you) in each week to avoid injury. Just make sure to go to a PROFESSIONAL (learn from my mistakes!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Hi everyone! Have recently decided to go for it but yet to sign up so I figure posting here will make it official!

5k - 23:04 (March 2018)
    10k - 49:07 (April 2018)
    HM - 1:58:36 (Dec 2017)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    5-6 days per week, totalling 30-35 miles at the moment.. not much in the way of cross training but lots of foam rolling to avoid injury!

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Goal at the moment is 3:50 but anything sub 4 would be fantastic.. dream time would be 3:45 :)

5-6 days is ideal, planning to follow the Jack Daniel's 2Q 41-55 Mile Marathon Plan

Biggest worry is injury - seem to get injured every time I start to make real progress in my 2 year's running.. other than that, usual first time nerves i.e. am I able for this??

The challenge! The carb loading sounds good too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi everyone! Have recently decided to go for it but yet to sign up so I figure posting here will make it official!

5k - 23:04 (March 2018)
    10k - 49:07 (April 2018)
    HM - 1:58:36 (Dec 2017)

No

5-6 days per week, totalling 30-35 miles at the moment.. not much in the way of cross training but lots of foam rolling to avoid injury!

Goal at the moment is 3:50 but anything sub 4 would be fantastic.. dream time would be 3:45 :)

5-6 days is ideal, planning to follow the Jack Daniel's 2Q 41-55 Mile Marathon Plan

Biggest worry is injury - seem to get injured every time I start to make real progress in my 2 year's running.. other than that, usual first time nerves i.e. am I able for this??

The challenge! The carb loading sounds good too :P

The carb loading is difficult!! I had trouble fitting in all I was supposed to! :pac: Your times so far would make all of your goals reachable. As you said the big worry is injury so be careful. The 2Q plans leave a lot in your hands. Make sure to keep the easy runs easy, very easy in fact. The long slow runs will help pull your half times in line with what your 5k time indicates you could do. Keep posting your updates. I'll be following with interest.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wishing ye all the very best of luck with the training - you're in good hands!

Trust the program and enjoy it - you only have one first marathon :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The carb loading is difficult!! I had trouble fitting in all I was supposed to! :pac: Your times so far would make all of your goals reachable. As you said the big worry is injury so be careful. The 2Q plans leave a lot in your hands. Make sure to keep the easy runs easy, very easy in fact. The long slow runs will help pull your half times in line with what your 5k time indicates you could do. Keep posting your updates. I'll be following with interest.

Thanks! All good advice.. will keep this updated every so often and look forward to reading everyone's progress :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

sumsar wrote: »
    Anyways.. that's my story.. I think I will start doing a Training log here.. is now a good time or wait it out?

Fire up a log. It's a good way of being accountable to yourself, seeing your progress and a bit of craic too.

I was trying to remember a key mantra from previous years. I think for everyone, regardless of experience, 'respect the distance'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ahnoyouregrand hi and welcome. 35-40km per week is a solid base and another 7-8 weeks at that kind of weekly mileage will have you perfectly poised to start the HHN1 plan, i have every confidence you will make the start and finish line by sticking with the plan.

Hobbyjogger
    Hi and welcome also. I had the same thought as Skyblue, I'd expect your HM time to be a bit faster based on your 5k time but the marathon training will definitely help with that, it'll be interesting to see the improvement if you sign up for a HM during the training. I'm not an expert on JD but i'm sure you've done your own research and we'll be looking forward to seeing how things go for you. Even though you won't be following the same plan as a lot of people in this group it will still be a great resource for you as no doubt you will be going through similar experiences.

brownbinman definitely no harm to get checked out again for reassurance alone. It's great that you're doing the cross training on the bike that will all help. Do post your plan when you get a chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Hello all,

Thought I would throw my hat into the ring as I have bit the bullet and signed up for DCM 2018.

I ran the Marathon in 2010 but ever since due to work commitments and moving countries I've really cut down on my running. I tend to maybe do 2/3 5km runs per week but have wanted to get back running properly for a while now, especially since moving back to Ireland (I think being by the sea helps!!).

I tried last Spring to get back properly but bit off more than I could chew by ambitiously training for a Half in 8 weeks. Needless to say, I overtrained and ended up injuring my lower back.

My main challenge is the training plans; I am a shift worker and a lot of my work is through the night in a very inactive role. I worked shifts back in 2010 also and it meant a lot of missed training runs as a Mon-Sun training plan with long runs on weekends simply doesn't work always due to fatigue/work etc so that will be my biggest challenge.

I spent 1.5 hrs last week devising a training plan from this week loosely based off Hal Higdon's plan which is what I used a few years ago, but I will check out the Boards plan and see how they compare.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes!

DCM 2010: 3:49:12
    Wicklow 10k 2017: 49:50
    GT 5k 2017: 22:18

No

Approx 15-20km per week (3/4 5kms)

Sub-4 again. Ideally sub 3:45 for a PB

Varies week to week - 4 days conservatively speaking but tiredness levels vary. Hope to follow Hal Hidden but tailored to work shifts.

Getting injured by overtraining, or not being able to follow plan.

Regain fitness, and have a more recent 'claim-to-fame' for completing a marathon!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm in! A friend of mine who's a graduate from a few years back (and is now a running machine) just gave me the heads-up this thread is up, so I'm jumping in early.

Had a bit of a false start with this last year. Two weeks after deciding to do the marathon, I realised I had to attend a wedding that clashed with it, so that put the kibosh on that. I've always wanted Dublin to be my first marathon so I'm back for a second crack at it. And I'm turning down every social event in October ;)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    10km: 52:38 (Great Ireland Run - April 2018)
    Half-marathon: 2:04:30 (Great Limerick Run - May 2016).

I'm signed up for Cork Half-marathon at the start of June and am hoping to go sub 2 hours.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do ?
    Running 4 times a week at the moment. I'm on week 8 of a Half-Marathon plan, which will be 21 miles with a 10 mile long run.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Absolute dream would be sub 4:20, but I'd be so delighted to just finish it.

4 days a week and, being an immediate nuisance, I'm considering the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Plan. To me, it looks like a nice balance between the Novice 1 and the Boards plan. I like the idea of getting the slightly longer long runs in and a bit of pace work during the week.

Put simply, not being able to start. Or worse again, being able to start but not being able to finish.

To see if I can, really. I have an autoimmune disease that, for the most part, behaves itself. Occasionally it flares up and gives me a bit of grief but even then, it's not as severe as it might be. Or, indeed, was previously.

It took about 2 years to get it under control tho, during which time I couldn't do anything fitness related, really. It'd mean an awful lot to me to be able to get to the finish line.

Ahnoyouregrand hi and welcome. 35-40km per week is a solid base and another 7-8 weeks at that kind of weekly mileage will have you perfectly poised to start the HHN1 plan, i have every confidence you will make the start and finish line by sticking with the plan.

Hobbyjogger
    Hi and welcome also. I had the same thought as Skyblue, I'd expect your HM time to be a bit faster based on your 5k time but the marathon training will definitely help with that, it'll be interesting to see the improvement if you sign up for a HM during the training. I'm not an expert on JD but i'm sure you've done your own research and we'll be looking forward to seeing how things go for you. Even though you won't be following the same plan as a lot of people in this group it will still be a great resource for you as no doubt you will be going through similar experiences.

brownbinman definitely no harm to get checked out again for reassurance alone. It's great that you're doing the cross training on the bike that will all help. Do post your plan when you get a chance :)

Yeah that was my first (and only) HM so the goal was just sub 2:00, the 5k and 10k times are more recent so I'd be aiming for a fairly big PB for the next HM, hopefully over the summer. I've used daniels plans before and worked well for me so that's why I decided to stick with them, and I like the way the long runs include the sessions with the rest of the runs easy. Will be interesting to see other's plans regardless and keep up with progress ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I seriously can't believe it's that time of the year again!!!!
    Best of luck to you all. It's an amazing experience, but the journey to marathon day can be just as rewarding.

It might feel tough at times, and there'll be days where you might want to have a lazy day, but do try to stick to your plans..... It makes all the difference at the end of the day....
    And listen to the mentors!!!!!

I'll try to pop in here now and again to see all yer fantastic progression ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Delighted to see the thread. Signed up early bird when I was feeling brave. Ran a marathon 6 years ago but have had two kids since so feels like starting from scratch again.

5k 29.47 and 10K 1.05 both recent - pre babies - I ran a marathon 4.43 in 2012, Hm 2.03 2012

Not normally.

3-4 runs and some yoga max distance 10K currently.

What do you want to achieve?
    Finish!

Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Would love to do 4.30 but building back up fitness post pregnancy so just finishing realistically

4/5, haven’t decided on plan yet

Not getting the time for consistent training.

Have run one and always wanted to give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Very best of luck to all the Novices this year. A fantastic thread awaits and one of the the very best things about the forum. Best piece of advice I can give is to listen. Sometimes it may not be what you want to hear, hard to grasp or even counterintuitive at times but the mentors are here for your benefit and to lead you down the path to having a great next few months and a successful day itself in 6 months time. It may seem daunting to think about 26.2 miles now but if you put the work in and take in the advice; you'll all be prepared for the challenge on the day and your all in very capable hands of Ariana and crew.

As for the mentors, no sweat;). Trust in what you've learned and experienced over the last year. All the best:)

Hi to all today's new posters and welcome.

RunningFlyer you have some great times against your name and also the experience of having ran a marathon already which will be a bonus. I think you should try to start building up 1 of your runs every week gradually between now and June 25th to get you in a better position to start the training. If you build it up over the next 8 weeks even to 12-14km you will be in a much stronger position. We had some shift workers last year also so i'm sure they will be able to help you out this year.

Aloooof, fair play to you i love your determination. The half marathon plan will have you in a great position to start training for DCM. Best of luck in Cork, i'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

effibear you'll have plenty of struggles to make the time no doubt but it can be done, if you need to swop around days that is ok - i know Kellygirl always does her long run on a Wednesday because it suits her family life - where there is a will there is a way ;) The experience of the marathon you have already run will stand to you too, you will be able pass on some tips to your fellow novices during the process.

Welcome to all the new posters. Just a quick message for Runningflyer. I am one of those shift workers. I work a 24/7 roster often having 3 or 4 different shifts in any week. I completed the boards plan last year without missing any of the plans runs. Hot Buttered Scones of these parts is also a shift worker and is an excellent runner. It's just a case of making the time if the will is there. Feel free to ask me any questions at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

Hi there, plucked up the courage in January and signed up for my first marathon. The thread comes highly recommended from my good mate Lazare and I guess I could use all the advice I can get.

5k - 23:20 10K- 50:25(fairly recent) Half Marathon: 2.04 (2016)
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No
    How much training do you currently do ? Average about 20k per week running(3/4 days)
    2 gym classes per week of circuit type training.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Happy to finish but 4.30 or better I would be chuffed!
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 5 or 6 days I hope to be able to get out and run, not sure what plan as yet.
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? I had a knee cartilige related injury last year which stopped me running for 5 months and I worry with the mileage it could flare up again but it has been pain free so far this year (fingers crossed)
    I get so much from my running and finishing DCM will be the ultimate achievement and of course I want the T Shirt!

• Advertisement

ChippyRun wrote: »
    Hi there, plucked up the courage in January and signed up for my first marathon. The thread comes highly recommended from my good mate Lazare and I guess I could use all the advice I can get.

5k - 23:20 10K- 50:25(fairly recent) Half Marathon: 2.04 (2016)
    How much training do you currently do ? Average about 20k per week running(3/4 days)
    2 gym classes per week of circuit type training.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Happy to finish but 4.30 or better I would be chuffed!
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 5 or 6 days I hope to be able to get out and run, not sure what plan as yet.
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? I had a knee cartilige related injury last year which stopped me running for 5 months and I worry with the mileage it could flare up again but it has been pain free so far this year (fingers crossed)
    I get so much from my running and finishing DCM will be the ultimate achievement and of course I want the T Shirt!

Any friend of Lazare is more than welcome here! A build up of long slow runs will work wonders for you. Anyone who can do a 23 min 5k can definitely improve on those 10k and half times never mind get way under 4.30 for the full. What distance is your long run at the moment? As you start to increase them try to keep the pace above 10 minute miles, even 10:30. Long slow runs are your friend in marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Any friend of Lazare is more than welcome here! A build up of long slow runs will work wonders for you. Anyone who can do a 23 min 5k can definitely improve on those 10k and half times never mind get way under 4.30 for the full. What distance is your long run at the moment? As you start to increase them try to keep the pace above 10 minute miles, even 10:30. Long slow runs are your friend in marathon training.

Thanks, I'm at 10k at the moment which is as far as I've gone since getting back from the knee injury last year. Ready now to start ramping it up and very happy to keep the pace slow as this also helps the knee also.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

speaking from personal experience, there's well over 5 weeks until plan starts. Don't do too much too soon as that's what stopped me getting to start line

10% weekly increases and stretching. How I regret not stretching and foaming rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Thanks for setting up this thread! I've decided to bite the bullet and sign up for DCM. I'm looking forward to the challenge - but nervous about it too. Will likely be doing all my training by myself so this forum will be a great support!

Have a 5k from last december of 21.47 and a recent-ish 10k time of 46.17 (Doing a 10k hal higdon prog at the moment and hoping to reduce this in a few weeks time at a local 10k).
    Previously did a half marathon in 2014 and have a time of 1.47 - hoping to tackle a half later in the year and reduce this time down

Currently training 4 times a week - one long run and three short runs - will introduce one more run over the next few weeks and then up to 6 times per week after a while (at least thats the plan - but dragging myself out of bed sunday morning on my only chance for a lie is is going to be a challenge)

Dream finishing time would be a 3.40 - a 3.50 might be more realistic though..... Hoping its too early in the process to know yet and that a 3.40 is still on the cards

Would be very disappointed to go not go sub-4

To do something for myself and get a sense of achievement, get fitter

Hi to our newest novices :)

ChippyRun you've already got great advice from Skyblue and Brownbinman. You mention 3/4 days running and 2 gym classes, I think 4 days running with 1/2 gym classes should be a goal for you, the gym classes are great but you can't beat consistent running, just keep everything nice & easy as has already been said to you ;)

Hedgehoggy I did all my training on my own last year so i know what's that like and trust me it won't be easy but it's sounds like you are well up for the challenge and if i could do it - anyone can ;) You have some good times behind you. Same advice for you as ChippyRun be careful building up the mileage - sudden increases can definitely show up any weaknesses - keep everything nice & slow. And don't worry slow is the new fast (or to be more precise slow is the way to get fast!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

And don't worry slow is the new fast (or to be more precise slow is the way to get fast!) :)

I like that.. I will have to remember this on jogs when I get a little cocky and regret it moments later ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Long time lurker of the 2017 thread and it definitely inspired me to actually put in my details to actually sign up for the DCM and the race series.

So thank you everyone who contributed on the old thread and here’s to a new bunch of graduates! :)

Yes but nothing beyond 10k yet.

5K: 22.51 at St Anne’s Parkrun (could be fast, next best is 23.06 in Marlay Parkrun.)

10K: 51.24 at Great Ireland Run

No

Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

On average, maybe 20k, sometimes more, sometimes less. Gym once a week sometimes less, haha!

Dream is sub 4, realistic 4.40 maybe. Will be delighted to finish though.

How many days a week can you train?
    5?

And what plan do you intend to follow?

Going to draw up one that works around my schedule taking inspiration from Hig Higdon/Boards/Online

The fear that I can’t do it.

For the challenge and achievement of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Not sure if I qualify for this thread but would like to join for the support. I have run the marathon before in 2015 but have since dropped to only doing 5ks regularly.

5k - 22:45 (last week)
    10k - 45:08 (Mar 2015)
    HM - 1:42 (Sep 2015)

No

2-3 times a week, generally 5-7k

Would like to do better than last time by about 15 mins. So, ideally 3:20.

Can manage 3 days a week at this stage.

Injury. I've done the marathon before so know I can do it but would be concerned about injuring myself to get there.

To see if I can do it again quicker this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Brilliant to see so many people jumping in on this, and your in absolutely great hands with the guys on here. Look forward to following along on everyone's journey throughout the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Good luck to all the novices!

I joined this thread before, for my failed attempts 2014 and 15 and then for my successful attempt in 2016, and honestly there is some very useful information available here for the taking. Listen to all the advice about structured training, about pacing, about preparation and all those little tips and tricks that definitely can make a big difference come the end of October.

I've signed up again, going for DCM number 2 so hopefully I'll see you all at the finish line!

Advertisement