Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we protest against the pope's visit?

• 10-04-2018 2:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I believe a huge protest against the popes visit is required to show the government and church they are no longer welcome or wanted in our society. What do you think? There are many stakeholders that should protest their removal from any influence in our society. Some that come to mind are:
    1) Anyone not supportive of misogyny
    2) Anyone that doesn't believe in school indoctrination of children in a massive lie.
    3) Anyone concerned about abusers in positions allowing abuse
    4) Anyone with the most basic scientific education.
    5) Anyone that doesn't support cults
    6) Anyone that believes LGBT people should be treated fairly in society.
    7) Anyone that believes women should have ANY control of their bodies.
    8) Anyone that is not seen as equal in the church namely women children and men.

There are many other areas but I realised I have covered everyone. As such let's all go to the Phoenix park to let the Vatican know they are not welcome.
    Are there any peaceful groups planning to protest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Your sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

work wrote: »
    There are many stakeholders that should protest
    Is it the Catholics or the vampires you're after?

Do we have to make our own stakes or will they be supplied ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Is it the Catholics or the vampires you're after?

Do we have to make our own stakes or will they be supplied ?

Definition stakeholder: a person with an interest or concern in something. Lots of sucking the life out of society so good analogy though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭donegal_man

5gq.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I believe a huge protest against islam is required to show the government and mosques they are no longer welcome or wanted in our society. What do you think? There are many stakeholders that should protest their removal from any influence in our society. Some that come to mind are:
    8) Anyone that is not seen as equal in the mosque namely women children and

Works too

You can also insert Judaism, Protestant, Presbyterian etc into that post.

Why not protest against all religions.

• Advertisement

Works too

You can also insert Judaism, Protestant, Presbyterian etc into that post.

Why not protest against all religions.

Simply because they have not have had a controlling role in the Irish state and are not sending a pope for us to adore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I believe a huge protest against the popes visit is required to show the government and church they are no longer welcome or wanted in our society. What do you think? There are many stakeholders that should protest their removal from any influence in our society. Some that come to mind are:
    2) Anyone that doesn't believe in school indoctrination of children in a massive lie.
    8) Anyone that is not seen as equal in the church namely women children and men.

There are many other areas but I realised I have covered everyone. As such let's all go to the Phoenix park to let the Vatican know they are not welcome.

I'm not entirely convicned you're being sincere here, but in the event you are, - yeah, let's protest against freedom of expression and freedom of religion. That'll show the rest of the world how modern and toletant we are...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

We need to watch out for the fake Pope, he can be identified by his high top sneakers and incedibly foul mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You’re so edgy and trendy OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm not entirely convicned you're being sincere here, but in the event you are, - yeah, let's protest against freedom of expression and freedom of religion. That'll show the rest of the world how modern and toletant we are...

its not against freedom of either, its against the obvious undue influence the catholic church in particular holds in Irish society.

The organisation has been shown time and time again to be utterly despicable and its leader should be held to account. Unfortunately the state will never seek to hold them to account so protest is the only avenue left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    We need to watch out for the fake Pope, he can be identified by his high top sneakers and incedibly foul mouth

and the space pope...
    e466e1bf82e643c5e33fafeac8e9054c_400x400.jpeg

Tolerant of what exactly.....I never said anyone shouldn't be allowed support whatever made up group they like but the issue is a proven poisonous group having such control and freedom to brainwash our next generation.....this needs to change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I think we should welcome the Pope because he's great, in fact I think we should invite BOTH Popes...,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭corks finest

Obviously you're looking for a knee jerk reaction,here's mine,and really don't care what ppl think,I my family,and most sensible, Christians welcome the holy father,us a man of peace and reconciliation,end of

Obviously you're looking for a knee jerk reaction,here's mine,and really don't care what ppl think,I my family,and most sensible, Christians welcome the holy father,us a man of peace and reconciliation,end of

I fully accept and support your right to welcome the pope however I really do not want a knee jerk reaction. I want Christian indoctrination out of our society along with its pathologic ideals. To this end I am trying to gather support to protest the "holy fathers" coming to Ireland so the political establishment understand how change is not only needed but should be implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I fully accept and support your right to welcome the pope however I really do not want a knee jerk reaction. I want Christian indoctrination out of our society along with its pathologic ideals. To this end I am trying to gather support to protest the "holy fathers" coming to Ireland so the political establishment understand how change is not only needed but should be implemented.
    You're doing this the wrong way around. You can't demonstrate mass opposition to Christianity unless, in fact, there is mass opposition to Christianity. When you have built the kind of mass opposition that you wish already existed, then it's time to think about demonstrating it. Go about this in the wrong order, and all you succeed in showing is how little support your ideas have, which presumably is not the effect you are aiming for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Some people would view the current Pope as the Antichrist, who goes against everything the church should stand for, and that Cardinal Ratzinger is the rightful heir and successor to Peter the apostle and first Pope.
    Not me though, I think this lad is great

I'm pretty surprised at the comments here. Out of everything in Ireland, the Catholic Church deserves the biggest backlash.

A protest isn't about other people's right to follow whatever religion they like. It's about the affect of a religion on the millions in Ireland who aren't religious, and it's about the organisation's disgusting history here.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You're doing this the wrong way around. You can't demonstrate mass opposition to Christianity unless, in fact, there is mass opposition to Christianity. When you have built the kind of mass opposition that you wish already existed, then it's time to think about demonstrating it. Go about this in the wrong order, and all you succeed in showing is how little support your ideas have, which presumably is not the effect you are aiming for.

I don't believe there is much support for Christianity in comparison to the fanatical support they had 50 years ago. I think people are just not sure what to do without religion as it has been inground into their life through.....weddings and other events etc. If you were raised as a Muslim/jew/hindu would you support Christianity....of course not...therin lies the reason for change to stop following and promoting the lie.

I'm pretty surprised at the comments here. Out of everything in Ireland, the Catholic Church deserves the biggest backlash.

A protest isn't about other people's right to follow whatever religion they like. It's about the affect of a religion on the millions in Ireland who aren't religious, and it's about the organisation's disgusting history here.

I fully agree and let's get the protest off the ground. A Peaceful and dignified protest is neened. Can we get people to come out as so many really arent bothered.....it is worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't believe there is much support for Christianity in comparison to the fanatical support they had 50 years ago.
    The question that matters is not whether Christianity enjoys the kind of support that it enjoyed 50 years ago - it clearly doesn't - but whether it now attracts the kind of opposition that your demonstration would express. If it doesn't, your demonstration is going to be a bust.
    I think people are just not sure what to do without religion as it has been inground into their life through.....weddings and other events etc. If you were raised as a Muslim/jew/hindu would you support Christianity....of course not...therin lies the reason for change to stop following and promoting the lie.
    Even people who agree with everything you say here will not necessarily be motivated to protest against Christianity; just to abandon it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The question that matters is not whether Christianity enjoys the kind of support that it enjoyed 50 years ago - it clearly doesn't - but whether it now attracts the kind of opposition that your demonstration would express. If it doesn't, your demonstration is going to be a bust.

Even people who agree with everything you say here will not necessarily be motivated to protest against Christianity; just to abandon it.

Wise and sensible words.

OF COURSE there will be a massive turnout for the visit. Ireland would lose international face else and this IS about politics

OF COURSE Catholic hardliners will proclaim RENEWAL. But that is not so

OF COURSE we all know the past. Time to move forward; enough troubles for the day we are in surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Is the OP American?
    We don't protest the Pope's visit.
    If we did, we would protest (about/against/at .....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I believe a huge protest against the popes visit is required
    Is more than one pope visiting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There probably will be protests for his visit, but I suspect they won't be that big, or that troublesome, you d be surprised how accepting the Catholic church still is in Ireland, and that's not a bad thing

diomed wrote: »
    Is more than one pope visiting?

No; then the apostrophe would come AFTER the last s...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I won't be joining you but. I am 100% supportive of your right to protest.

Everything above is true of Islam in spades. And there aren't any Catholic terror gangs out there. The systematic child abuse has been rooted out.

Yet protesting against the abuses in that religion will get you labelled a racist (bizarrely since Islam isn't a race). Would you organise a protest against Islam too or are you just going to call me racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

professore wrote: »

Everything above is true of Islam in spades. And there aren't any Catholic terror gangs out there. The systematic child abuse has been rooted out.

Yet protesting against the abuses in that religion will get you labelled a racist (bizarrely since Islam isn't a race). Would you organise a protest against Islam too or are you just going to call me racist?
    Why would someone protest against Islam at the Pope's visit?
    I don't think the Pope has much influence on the problems of Islam.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wise and sensible words.

OF COURSE there will be a massive turnout for the visit. Ireland would lose international face else and this IS about politics

OF COURSE Catholic hardliners will proclaim RENEWAL. But that is not so

OF COURSE we all know the past. Time to move forward; enough troubles for the day we are in surely?

I take your point and in fairness the church in time will become less significant. I feel strongly about changing the status quo after having children because the way many people accept and promote this is warped.
    I chatted to many sets of parents that let their kids make their communion. Plenty do not in believe in religeon but they don't want their child to miss out or be the odd one out. Personally I find such promotion of a lie to a child really wrong.
    I do not have any reasonable alternative schooling other than religious for my kids which taxes pay for to further promote religeon.
    Finally I am surprised people generally do not see a reason to protest to change this but no harm asking the question and if there is no appetite to change I will of course accept this.

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »

How do you know the abuse is rooted out the church still has access to our children and a protective hierarchy.

I never mentioned terror, the pope is not muslin and the Muslim religion though relevant as are all religions doesn't have the influence or power in Ireland of Catholicism. I think no religion should permeate school or normal society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The best protest for this is to ignore it, completely ignore the whole visit. Don’t watch it on TV, go to the pub, go shopping, do your normal life.

The Church is fading all on its own.

I take your point and in fairness the church in time will become less significant. I feel strongly about changing the status quo after having children because the way many people accept and promote this is warped.
    I chatted to many sets of parents that let their kids make their communion. Plenty do not in believe in religeon but they don't want their child to miss out or be the odd one out. Personally I find such promotion of a lie to a child really wrong.
    I do not have any reasonable alternative schooling other than religious for my kids which taxes pay for to further promote religeon.
    Finally I am surprised people generally do not see a reason to protest to change this but no harm asking the question and if there is no appetite to change I will of course accept this.

You are entitled to your thoughts and views and to living them in your life.

But so are others and if you act out against? Then are you not like them?

Also if you act out, demo etc then you will attract opposition. Been there, done that believe me and it has made me very careful

And differentiate between faith and the abuses therein?

Just stay away from the visit? That is protest enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I agree with the notion of protests.
    They owe over a billion in compensation for horrific crimes against children here.
    They have excessive and negative influence on the government of this country.
    It is outrageous that it is difficult and usually expensive to provide an education free of their indoctrination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I think i'll go golfing that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Thinking about the idea in real terms, I would have concerns for the physical safety of protestors, lest they be attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Thinking about the idea in real terms, I would have concerns for the physical safety of protestors, lest they be attacked.

That's a little ironic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,937 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know this is half in jest and half legitimate comment... but we as a country/society actually do have a issue with needing to be validated/approved of by the rest of the world.

It's why so many have been sucked in by the more extreme liberal nonsense from America on the likes of Twitter and Facebook and why it's starting to seep into everyday society now.

On the OP.. I agree with his sentiment to be fair, and while I wouldn't be protesting myself, surely a tolerant society is better showing the world how it can maturely deal with dissenting views as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think the fact that the Pope's visit will be ignored by many, or not cared about by many, is indicative enough for me. Our society is slowly but surely rejecting the previously dominant Catholic doctrine. I'm happy out to let him come visit. I know it will matter to people like my mother. Myself, I'll be busy with the usual stuff that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dudara wrote: »
    I think the fact that the Pope's visit will be ignored by many, or not cared about by many, is indicative enough for me. Our society is slowly but surely rejecting the previously dominant Catholic doctrine. I'm happy out to let him come visit. I know it will matter to people like my mother. Myself, I'll be busy with the usual stuff that day.

id say we ll be surprised at how supportive his visit will be, and we ve only moved the goal posts in regards indoctrination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Maybe while he’s here he can go and consecrate that septic tank in Tuam. I’m sure those babies would go to heaven if the pope put in a good word for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you feel a protest is necessary, then I don't see why not. Knock yourself out.

Certainly the Vatican has a lot to be ashamed of, a lot of questions to answer and caused a lot of misery for a lot of people. So one can't say that a protest is unwarranted.

I'd have no problem with it. If I'm going to stay in Dublin that weekend, I'll likely stay at home and avoid the inevitable traffic chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Not that we should block him , I mean that shows intolerance - but my problem is the amount of tax payers money that will be wasted on this, why can't the bloody Vatican with their billions pay for it ?

Could sell some of the golden taps they have in the Pope's palacial suite to foot the bill too ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

seamus wrote: »
    If you feel a protest is necessary, then I don't see why not. Knock yourself out.

I don't think he is visiting Mayo this time....they're cursed don't you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Is that you Mr Nugent ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Is that you Mr Nugent ?

It's not Mick. He may be mental but he's not stupid.

Not that we should block him , I mean that shows intolerance - but my problem is the amount of tax payers money that will be wasted on this, why can't the bloody Vatican with their billions pay for it ?

Could sell some of the golden taps they have in the Pope's palacial suite to foot the bill too ...

Actually the Church is paying for the visit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/pope-s-visit-to-dublin-to-cost-20-million-archbishop-1.3331189

google it and see?

And also of course the Gardia and others will be well prepared for protests and wil deal with them. swiftly and efficiently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Graces7 wrote: »

The church said they would pay compensation for those they abused, yet they still have to put their hands in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

5gq.gif

But ..........millions ...?

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8rnraa/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s worthwhile trying a protest. It will show the lack of support for militant atheism ( as opposed to lacklustre atheism like myself).

The actual victims of child abuse in the church though should have a designated place to protest within view of the Pope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement