Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberals who aren't liberal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Yup, there is not a single country in the world where you have the absolute right to freedom of speech.

If your right to freedom of speech is conflicting with my right to be safe from violence, society has to make a call as to which right takes precedence.

And most rational people think a person’s physical safety is more important than a person’s right to say whatever they want.

Liberals are far more violent than their opposition.

They're not liberal and far from it.

They don't have an inclination that there's people who are made up to be different and not fit in with the liberals way of thinking....

It's like trying to compare a skeleton with a living being, the liberal being the empty shell.

One guy said it really well, Liberals are just fillers in society, no scruples and absolute wasters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The freedom of speech thing is just a smokescreen anyway. You'll notice the mental gymnastics when it comes to the non-violent protest of Kapernic. If free speech was really what they were concerned about, that wouldn't be the case. It's very transparent.

The Democrats under Obama became incredibly smug and lorded their moral superiority over everyone. Their contempt for huge swathes of the American electorate, many of whom are suffering economic hardship, turned into outright hatred under Clinton's campaign.

If you don't mind my saying, your opposition to Obama seems to be heavily loaded with either a personal dislike towards him, or a personal dislike towards your perception of his message.

I get the feeling that you don't exactly dislike the substance of what his message was, is that correct?

If you don't mind my saying, your opposition to Obama seems to be heavily loaded with either a personal dislike towards him, or a personal dislike towards your perception of his message.

I get the feeling that you don't exactly dislike the substance of what his message was, is that correct?

I wonder who's responsible for the drone attacks on families in Afghanistan who were firing in the air after a wedding, being it traditional to do so.

A family of 30 vaporised and then it called collateral damage.

That was the tip of the iceberg I'm lead to believe many more people perished at the end of a drone attack who we're just getting on with their day..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

20Cent wrote: »
    She had a knife.

Allegedly.

I'd say the fact she cut her hand would point to her more foolishly having used a piece of glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Liberals are far more violent than their opposition.

In Ireland they are. In the US that is not true. But in Ireland yes it is.

For obvious connections and reasons.

That is not to say the right in this country have not been violent. They have.

Youth defense springs to mind.

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    I wonder who's responsible for the drone attacks on families in Afghanistan who were firing in the air after a wedding, being it traditional to do so.

A family of 30 vaporised and then it called collateral damage.

That was the tip of the iceberg I'm lead to believe many more people perished at the end of a drone attack who we're just getting on with their day..
    Wat?

I'm just trying to distinguish between classic and contemporary liberalism here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Allegedly.

I'd say the fact she cut her hand would point to her more foolishly having used a piece of glass.

Being reported as scissors now.

Wat?

I'm just trying to distinguish between classic and contemporary liberalism here.

Don't try and understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

In Ireland they are. In the US that is not true. But in Ireland yes it is.

For obvious connections and reasons.

That is not to say the right in this country have not been violent. They have.

Youth defense springs to mind.

As I asked months ago on here... 'What exactly is a liberal'

I will go further and ask who is liberal and what groups you are referring to here.

In the States and especially US right-wing media a liberal is a word given to anyone left of Trump. Obama, the Clinton's, May, Merkel have been frequently described as liberal when all are conservative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

I dislike American foreign policy, especially in the Middle East. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld have a lot to answer for. Obama does too, as does Clinton.

That's what my main bone of contention is with American politics.

As for Obama and Clinton themselves - Yeah I don't like them. I find Obama to be full of it, he says one thing but does another. Clinton is just outright crooked, Trump really picked the right word to describe her.

They are all thoroughly unlikable.

I can see why voters went with Trump as a two fingered salute to the whole rotten edifice that is Washington D.C.

Wat?

Oh sorry my apologies, sometimes I get mixed up and deviate from the subject matter.

I see where you're coming from now

rossie1977 wrote: »
    As I asked months ago on here... 'What exactly is a liberal'

I will go further and ask who is liberal and what groups you are referring to here.

In the States and especially US right-wing media a liberal is a word given to anyone left of Trump. Obama, the Clinton's, May, Merkel have been frequently described as liberal when all are conservative.
    Yeah, it's highly context-specific. Almost nobody will describe themselves as a liberal unless they're almost-completely illiterate or have been placed into some binary equation.

As you have said, an American liberal might be anyone to the left of Trump; which in Ireland might include someone like Varadkar. That is to say, someone who is obviously right-of-centre inside our political landscape.

Yeah, it's highly context-specific. Almost nobody will describe themselves as a liberal unless they're almost-completely illiterate or have been placed into some binary equation.

As you have said, an American liberal might be anyone to the left of Trump; which in Ireland might include someone like Varadkar. That is to say, someone who is obviously right-of-centre inside our political landscape.

I'm glad you said that about people who describe themselves as liberal as being illiterate or placed into a binary equation.

It's absolutely true what you're suggesting.

I looked up liberal in the dictionary and it's translated in black and white.

But there's some people here who'd prefer to see your mouth taped up before you even call them out on it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Thou shalt not question the ability of a human to sleep with who he or she wants to. Feck disease or commitments. To abort an unlimited amount of human life. Though I do accept that people have a right to at least one abortion.To use unlimited social media and then bitch about the consequences for anxiety.
    To pour in unlimited immigration and never question it but if you do you're racist
    Thou shall pour media/ education full of wellness crap while simultaneously providing drama after drama of human depravity on tv. Pursuing anybody who manages to achieve something and kick them till they bleed in the media eye.
    Liberal commandments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

She had a knife.

There was a meme I saw recently...

"Daily Mail: Woman arrested near Luton for having a Knife"
    "US Television: A TV show about people who make knives at home" (Forged in Fire)

It is to be said, though, I have seen a lot more violence directed at MAGA-hat-wearers in the US than rainbow-flag wavers.

"US Television: A TV show about people who make knives at home" (Forged in Fire)

It is to be said, though, I have seen a lot more violence directed at MAGA-hat-wearers in the US than rainbow-flag wavers.

The far right and trump supporters have shot, killed, pointed guns at people and murdered someone with a car. The few videos you've seen of maga hat wearers getting a slap are nothing it's a totally false equivalence.

Also I'd say if she was in the US slashing a something with a blade in a crowd she'd have been shot or tazered. She is white though so perhaps not that bad.

Mosque shootings synagogue shootings etc

White liberals are not the victims of right wing violence.

Nor are minorities behind the violence against maga hat people .

Beginning to see a pattern here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Mosque shootings synagogue shootings etc

White liberals are not the victims of right wing violence.

Nor are minorities behind the violence against maga hat people .

Beginning to see a pattern here.

White people bad, brown people good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

People tend to be a mix of different views. Very 'liberal' and tolerant of some things and a lot more intolerant of other things. I find all the abortion fanatics to be an example: both pro-life and pro-choice fanatics are the same cultish narrowminded types often involved in a cause that isn't even theirs!

• Advertisement

This old man was thrown to the grown earlier for wearing pro-trump apparel:

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1136026511910232064

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Antifa scum need to be stamped out.

Not a supporter of the government Trump is overseeing (or of nearly all American administrations' foreign policy) but this kind of carry on is hardly something that should be tolerated. Pro-Trump fanatics and anti-Trump fanatics are actually the SAME kind of people looking for fight. If it wasn't about Trump, it would be Brexit or something else.

Antifa scum need to be stamped out.

I absolutely despise the far right. That said and done, the far left are not any better. Any fanatics who resort to violence are the same and decent people should not support this. There is a saying: the far left and far right meet each other in the same place because extremism is the same no matter what the cause.

The far right and trump supporters have shot, killed, pointed guns at people and murdered someone with a car.

The few videos you've seen of maga hat wearers getting a slap are nothing it's a totally false equivalence.

There was far right violence long before Trump and if are you so easily willing to suggest he is somehow culpable I wonder do you feel the same about Obama being culpable in the murder of five cops in Dallas? I doubt it.

We also have Antifa hitting people over the heads with bottles, rocks and bike locks.
    Also I'd say if she was in the US slashing a something with a blade in a crowd she'd have been shot or tazered. She is white though so perhaps not that bad.

White people don't get killed by cops now? lol.
    Do Facts Matter?

Out of the 965 people killed by the police in 2015 (as of Dec. 24), the Post reported (on Dec. 26) that "less than 4 percent" involved an unarmed black man and a white cop, the fact pattern most commonly referred to by anti-police activists like Black Lives Matter. Last year, The Washington Post put the number of unarmed black men killed by the police at 17, less than the number of blacks likely struck by lightning. Twenty-two unarmed whites were killed by the police. Any death that results from police misconduct is one death too many, but the point is that police killing of a suspect is rare, no matter the race of the suspect or the cop. And a police shooting of an unarmed black male is still more rare.

There was far right violence long before Trump and if are you so easily willing to suggest he is somehow culpable I wonder do you feel the same about Obama being culpable in the murder of five cops in Dallas? I doubt it.

We also have Antifa hitting people over the heads with bottles, rocks and bike locks.

Four strawman in one post. Must be a record.

Four points swerved in one post. Must be a record.

If things were proper, both anti and pro Trump people can protest peacefully. The violent types do not want that. Trump is not really far right. Sure, there are some in his government that are but Trump I don't think is tied into any ideology in particular. Capitalist he most certainly is but after that, harder to pin down. Like his hair!

Antifa are supposed to be anti fascist hence their name. Yet they engage in violent fascist actions which shows they are hypocrites who are not going to further the cause of stamping out fascist extremism because they engage in it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Four strawman in one post. Must be a record.

Surprised you're still posting after you made an eejit of yourself in that Jordan Peterson thread.

And what is this? You created a thread supporting these antifa type goons, at least everyone can know where your priorities lie as you scrutinize people from your far left world view.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107778690

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Trump supporter slashes baby trump blimp, her own hand and is the arrested. Films herself doing it as well. Not the brightest folks.

https://twitter.com/LAWriter/status/1135984338296643584

That Blimp is appalling body shaming though.
    It's no loss.

Advertisement