Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberals who aren't liberal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pfft, obviously it should be "librarians"

that's what I was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

I met a Librarian once,she wore glasses,had her hair in a bun ,seemed very prim and proper, conservatively dressed etc.
    Next thing I knew she whipped off her glasses,shook her hair loose ,opened a button on her blouse and ....well turned out she wasnt a Librarian at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I met a Librarian once,she wore glasses,had her hair in a bun ,seemed very prim and proper, conservatively dressed etc.
    Next thing I knew she whipped off her glasses,shook her loose ,opened a button on her blouse and ....well turned out she wasnt a Librarian at all at al

she was a man?

A transgender LGBT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

A transgender LGBT

LesbianGayBisexualTransgender all at the same time?

WOW- That is some multitasking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

What the hell is happening in this thread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

I'm not gay but I'm pretty sure my boyfriend is..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Blur haired bull dykes, are they lesbians or just bull dykes

That's just offensive now.
    Down with that sort of thing.
    Peace and love to all, Liberian librarians and lesbians everywhere.

That's just offensive now.
    Down with that sort of thing.
    Peace and love to all, Liberian librarians and lesbians everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Why was the thread title changed can it pleased be changed back to what it originally was this is just silliness and childish so can it be changed back thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Mutant z wrote: »
    Why was the thread title changed can it pleased be changed back to what it originally was this is just silliness and childish so can it be changed back thank you.

Yes it's an abomination to the board's community.

Down with this sort of thing !!!

Its actually one of the most sensible political threads on here ever...

Chuckie Our Linguini.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Down with this sort of thing !!!

Its actually one of the most sensible political threads on here ever...

Chuckie Our Linguini.

Yeah, and it'll be the day I ordered the lasagne.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Typical right wingers, always trying to silence what the people want to talk about. Whatever happened to free speech and alfredo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

nthclare wrote: »
    Yes it's an abomination to the board's community.

An affront to both God and Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There seems to be a trend of those who claim to be liberal but are completely intolerant of those who dont share their own world outlook. They are liberal as long as you agree with them but if anyone so much as strays from their own group think they are attacked, slandered and censored. Why are so many self proclaimed liberals in favour of tighter censorship laws and clamping down on freedom of speech, which is an essence of a true liberal society. Surely being liberal means supporting free speech whether you agree with it or not. The fact is liberalism is about supporting free speech and expression and opposing censorship which is the exact opposite to what so many who claim to be on the liberal spectrum have proposed. It seems liberalism has been hijacked by SJWs and college students, in favour of identity politics which is anything but liberal. Its time real liberals stood up and defended the true liberal values of freedom of speech and democracy.

Christian society cultural leave over.

It comes from christian history. You have to believe the same thing to be a part of the family. It is why you had so many separations of the church that were so violent.

It wasn't possible for someone to believe in authority of the pope and for another person not to and still pray in the same church.

Other religions allow diversity of belief its not what you believe its how you ACT.

In christianity its faith that gets you into heaven.

In Lutheranism and Calvinism, righteousness from God is viewed as being credited to the sinner's account through faith alone, without works.

And of course there is hell and shame for not believing the correct thing.

I think its called 'sole fide'.

To Catholics, justification is "a translation, from that state wherein man is born a child of the first Adam, to the state of grace, and of the adoption of the sons of God, through the second Adam, Jesus Christ, our Savior",[16] including the transforming of a sinner from the state of unrighteousness to the state of holiness. This transformation is made possible by accessing the merit of Christ, made available in the atonement, through faith and the sacraments.[17] The Catholic Church teaches that "faith without works is dead"[18][19] and that works perfect faith.[20]

So for Catholics (most people in Ireland) what you believe and YOUR VIEWS are just as important as what you DO what you BELIEVE MAKES YOU A GOOD OR A BAD PERSON just as much as what you do.

That is not the same in every culture.

So i believe its a cultural thing in western society and nothing to do with politics. Remember there were WARS between different Christian groups over BELIEF alone.

I dont have an issue if people believe different things to me its how you act. I can be around people who believe whatever. Its how they treat people ..and in particular how they treat me or people around them.

Perhaps in very close relationships you need similar values etc. But different beliefs don't make you a bad or good person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Trump supporter slashes baby trump blimp, her own hand and is the arrested. Films herself doing it as well. Not the brightest folks.

https://twitter.com/LAWriter/status/1135984338296643584

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭CPTM

20Cent wrote: »
    Trump supporter slashes baby trump blimp, her own hand and is the arrested. Films herself doing it as well. Not the brightest folks.

How on earth did she cut her hand so badly?

• Advertisement

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

So much energy has been spent crying about Trump since 2015 when he announced his candidacy.

It's actually quite amazing the reaction he has provoked.

Imagine what these people could have achieved if they had put as much energy into a genuinely useful direction.

What have they actually achieved? All that crap about Russiagate and tens of millions wasted for a report that says sweet **** all.

They don't even have a decent candidate for 2020.

Trump must be laughing his hole off at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

So attack a man and the police do zero but don't dare touch a blow up doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

So attack a man and the police do zero but don't dare touch a blow up doll.

She had a knife.

So much energy has been spent crying about Trump since 2015 when he announced his candidacy.

It's actually quite amazing the reaction he has provoked.

Imagine what these people could have achieved if they had put as much energy into a genuinely useful direction.

What have they actually achieved? All that crap about Russiagate and tens of millions wasted for a report that says sweet **** all.

They don't even have a decent candidate for 2020.

Trump must be laughing his hole off at them.

There is a lot of truth in that. I hate Trump. But it was obvious as early as a year ago they wouldn't find collusion in a legal sense. And in any case impeachment would not be a great idea.

They should have drawn their battle lines over the supreme court.

They have just blown smoke over the last 2 yrs because they refuse to admit the American voter did a really nasty thing.

With a disclaimer that I've only read the first and last pages of this thread, I think the OP is failing to distinguish between colloquial 'liberals; and classical liberals.

Classical liberals believe in your right to say, or do, anything so long as it does not interfere with the rights of others.

Modern liberals insist (pretty correctly, in my view) that although your freedoms are very important, they often impact upon the rights of others, and ought to be constrained.

Modern liberalism, for all the ridicule it receives, is why one-off bungalows are not allowed to be built in Corca Dhuibhne. That's modern liberalism at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

With a disclaimer that I've only read the first and last pages of this thread, I think the OP is failing to distinguish between colloquial 'liberals; and classical liberals.

Classical liberals believe in your right to say, or do, anything so long as it does not interfere with the rights of others.

Modern liberals insist (pretty correctly, in my view) that although your freedoms are very important, they often impact upon the rights of others, and ought to be constrained.

Modern liberalism, for all the ridicule it receives, is why one-off bungalows are not allowed to be built in Corca Dhuibhne. That's modern liberalism at work.

Yup, there is not a single country in the world where you have the absolute right to freedom of speech.

If your right to freedom of speech is conflicting with my right to be safe from violence, society has to make a call as to which right takes precedence.

And most rational people think a person’s physical safety is more important than a person’s right to say whatever they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The only thing that Trump is doing is exposing US power. I admire the honesty if not the bullying, which went on anyway behind the scenes.

The NHS and the chlorinated chickens? In the US trade meetings with the EU these were on the table too, the difference was that if you asked Obama about it in public he’d bat the question away, while trump is honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

There is a lot of truth in that. I hate Trump. But it was obvious as early as a year ago they wouldn't find collusion in a legal sense. And in any case impeachment would not be a great idea.

They should have drawn their battle lines over the supreme court.

They have just blown smoke over the last 2 yrs because they refuse to admit the American voter did a really nasty thing.

The man is an ass in many ways and wholly unsuited to being president for so many reasons yet I am not one bit surprised he was elected.

The Democrats under Obama became incredibly smug and lorded their moral superiority over everyone. Their contempt for huge swathes of the American electorate, many of whom are suffering economic hardship, turned into outright hatred under Clinton's campaign.

Trump simply exploited the anger of the rust-belt Republicans and rural voters who rightfully felt that they were despised by Democrats.

Clinton and her supporters just cannot accept that Trump outfoxed them.

And in doing that, they are handing him re-election on a plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Yup, there is not a single country in the world where you have the absolute right to freedom of speech.

If your right to freedom of speech is conflicting with my right to be safe from violence, society has to make a call as to which right takes precedence.

And most rational people think a person’s physical safety is more important than a person’s right to say whatever they want.

Well, er yes. But what’s considered violence to people has changed over time from actual threats to criticism.

Advertisement