Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    I did 3 tests. Read the email they sent you, they should have said what tests you will be taking.

1st test was reading a passage for 10mins, then answering 30 questions without the reading material. Basically trying to remember rules & regulations.

2nd test was answering 40 questions about cables/dials as you might see in the drivers cabin. You don't need prior experience, you are basically reading the diagram and determining what cable takes priority and in what order. It will all be explained to you on the day

3rd test was an audio of a driver reporting an incident. You hear it twice and take notes. Then write a report on it (with notes in front of you)

There was no face to face interview or anything. That must be at a later date if you are successful at testing

Ah, cool.. Cheers.. I read they email, but it mentioned a lot of other stuff too. Must be at a later date alright

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheShepard

Can anyone shed light on the stages of the recruitment process?

I done online assessments back in January which I passed.
    Today, I was in Inchicore doing assessments. We were told that those who passed would be back in mid-January for the next stage. I felt I done pretty good in the assessments today.

What happens after that?
    More assessments?
    Interview & Medicals?

Could the successful applicant be offered a role as early as say March or April 2020?

Also, the testing documents from today had the heading Locomotive Driver. Does that I couldn't be selected for the DART if I was successful?

Thanks

Pretty much exactly the way you asked. I Think the next class starts in June for regional candidates, not sure for Dublin applicants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Got the email there inviting me onto the stage 2 tests!

Hope that those of you that did stage 1 last week get the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Got the email there inviting me onto the stage 2 tests!

Hope that those of you that did stage 1 last week get the same!

Got the same email. Best of luck in the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thread went very quiet over Christmas. Understandably. Anyone any updates on whats happening?

• Advertisement

Phase 2 testing started taking place this week and goes on for the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone done the Phase 2 testing ? Is it harder/easier than Phase 1? Was there any surprises?

Phase 2 testing started taking place this week and goes on for the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone done the Phase 2 testing ? Is it harder/easier than Phase 1? Was there any surprises?

The last part of the VSE is a total bollox! Everyone in my group said they struggled with it afterwards. Its not that it was hard but it is very, very easy to click on the wrong thing and answer incorrectly then.

That is the one part that I know I did not do well in and I will be surprised if I get called back.

I was invited to Phase 1 assessment back in September (23rd to 25th). I let them know I couldnt attend at the time, was outside of the country. I contacted them to see if I would be invited again down the line and they said that I was still on thier list etc and would be called in due course.

Was Phase 1 assessment difficult?

Phase 1 Paper & Pencil Assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

The last part of the VSE is a total bollox! Everyone in my group said they struggled with it afterwards. Its not that it was hard but it is very, very easy to click on the wrong thing and answer incorrectly then.

That is the one part that I know I did not do well in and I will be surprised if I get called back.

All part of the test!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Got an email this afternoon inviting me to a medical at the end of the month although they did warn us at the assessment that medical appointments could be sent out before our results from phase 2 are known...

• Advertisement

That's a pity. Maybe if others had the same problem maybe you're score will be good enough to pass?

Is the VSE test similar to the examples in the practice book?

Got an email this afternoon inviting me to a medical at the end of the month although they did warn us at the assessment that medical appointments could be sent out before our results from phase 2 are known...

Did the email say what the medical would be like?
    Is it blood/urine test looking for drugs?
    Or is it a more complete medical testing all sorts of things?

I was wondering about this too. Does anyone know the vision requirements of the medical?

That's a pity. Maybe if others had the same problem maybe you're score will be good enough to pass?

Is the VSE test similar to the examples in the practice book?

Its not that different. Its like a "live" version of what is in the book but with more to watch for and do. Although as I said it is so easy to click on the wrong button on the screen during the last part.

It did not say although someone posted here ages ago what was involved.

I think they said it was quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Batman51

Eye tests were heavily focused on coloublindness. Urine was tested for drugs.

Anyone on here waiting on a panel? Cork Waterford or Limerick....wondering when the next regional class starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BertieBlue

Did anyone here go for the Revenue Protection jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rebellad 1970

I went for revenue protection officer job ,have an interview friday,but if their only hiring for dublin I wont be able to do it as I cant move from cork to dublin it wouldn't be feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BertieBlue

I went for revenue protection officer job ,have an interview friday,but if their only hiring for dublin I wont be able to do it as I cant move from cork to dublin it wouldn't be feasible

I have an interview Friday as well. Not entirely sure it's for me yet but going anyway to see how it goes.

Pretty sure it is just for the Dublin area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

BertieBlue wrote: »
    I have an interview Friday as well. Not entirely sure it's for me yet but going anyway to see how it goes.

Pretty sure it is just for the Dublin area though.

Sounds like a scary sort of job. Like being a clamper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Sounds like a scary sort of job. Like being a clamper.

Go for it and just take the few quid until something else comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Go for it and just take the few quid until something else comes up.

Have an interview, anyone recall the salary again? Any ideas on shifts, I suppose a question for the interview panel, could be a difficult job at times 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Furryglove wrote: »
    Have an interview, anyone recall the salary again? Any ideas on shifts, I suppose a question for the interview panel, could be a difficult job at times 🤔

I’d say a Roman tax collector would be more appreciated by their customers than a revenue protection officer

I’d say a Roman tax collector would be more appreciated by their customers than a revenue protection officer

😳 sounds ominous, are reports really that bad, thanks in advance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they haven't a ticket/pass they aren't actually a customer...

L1011 wrote: »
    If they haven't a ticket/pass they aren't actually a customer...
    Exactly, also would drivers not feel safer with a stronger presence of protection potentially on the train ?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

With Dublin bus as a spare at the moment, applied done all the tests, just waiting to here back.

Its a disgrace Joe!

d51984 wrote: »
    With Dublin bus as a spare at the moment, applied done all the tests, just waiting to here back.

Driving or Revenue dude ?

Driving mate, Clontarf depo. There just over a year. Hate it. No life.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Ohh sorry for Irish rail? Applied for Revenue.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

d51984 wrote: »
    Ohh sorry for Irish rail? Applied for Revenue.

I know of 3 Dublin bus drivers who have applied for revenue too

Advertisement