Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undiagnosed circle of hell.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dear lord, that is ridiculous. I say send them a link to this thread and make them read it!

Best of luck with the appeal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thanks :) Fingers crossed. I have my illness benefit certs to keep me going for another while, but I have to consider what will happen after they run out - because I will have no source of income, and no ability to work. (Christ, if I could I would! I hate scraping by..) :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

dlofnep wrote: »
    It said I did not satisfy the medical conditions for the scheme - of which are that I would be ill for at least a year, and incapable of working. What do I have to be to qualify for it? Shoot myself in both legs, and both arms? They have some cheek. They didn't even interview me. I shall be appealing this.

Oh jeez :(

What are you technically qualified as (which you obviously can't work as)?

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh jeez :(

What are you technically qualified as (which you obviously can't work as)?

I have a degree in application development. I've been offered work in jobs that I've wanted to do all of my life, but had to turn them down because the brain fog would just make it far too difficult to concentrate for anything long than half an hour.. That and my immune system is so shook, I would have a sick day from work almost every week.

It's not as if I am trying to con the system. I have never had a free ride in my life. I've worked since I was 15, all the way up to a few months ago where I had to leave my job because I was out too much with my illness. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Disability request was rejected. Got the letter back today. (Which I had submitted back in April - Some efficiency in Ireland, aye?)

It said I did not satisfy the medical conditions for the scheme - of which are that I would be ill for at least a year, and incapable of working. What do I have to be to qualify for it? Shoot myself in both legs, and both arms? They have some cheek. They didn't even interview me. I shall be appealing this.

Very frustrating dlofnep; years ago when my GP diagnosed me with 'chronic fatigue' she willingly gave me sick certs for a few months but when I approached her last year for sick certs she refused. I have over the years, envied those who have recognised illnesses as it is so difficult having to convince not just the medical profession but family and friends too of this condition.

I hope your appeal goes well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Is there a difference between disability benefit and illness benefit?
    Your a genuine case so will your weekly/monthly certs not keep you going until you are over a year out and do qualify?

padi89 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between disability benefit and illness benefit?
    Your a genuine case so will your weekly/monthly certs not keep you going until you are over a year out and do qualify?

Illness benefit is based on PRSI. If you've paid 260 weeks PRSI or more throughout your life, then you can get it for up to 2 years. If you have between 104 and 259 weeks, then you can only get it for up to one year. I'm not exactly sure where I fall into this. I will have to contact social welfare to find out.

Disability allowance doesn't go on PRSI. It's for anyone who will be ill or disabled to where they cannot work for at least a year. I absolutely fit this criteria, but somehow they have rejected me. I have a feeling that because of Government cutbacks - they are probably trying their arm to reject as many cases as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

I absolutely fit this criteria, but somehow they have rejected me. I have a feeling that because of Government cutbacks - they are probably trying their arm to reject as many cases as possible.
    Not sure if it is a recent thing. I think for a long time they have refused a lot of people on the first round and hope some of them give up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hi Dlopfen. Please forgive my ignorance here, but I read the first 5 pages of this thread and my eyes are square. Did you actually find out exactly whats wrong? Have you a name to put to your illness? I really hope you recover from this.

newmug wrote: »
    Hi Dlopfen. Please forgive my ignorance here, but I read the first 5 pages of this thread and my eyes are square. Did you actually find out exactly whats wrong? Have you a name to put to your illness? I really hope you recover from this.

I suspect mercury toxicity from dental amalgams. I explained in this blog post how I came to that conclusion: http://rejectmercury.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-i-came-to-conclusion-of-mercury.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I suspect mercury toxicity from dental amalgams. I explained in this blog post how I came to that conclusion: http://rejectmercury.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-i-came-to-conclusion-of-mercury.html

Bloody hell! Is there a test you can do to see if you actually are being poisoned by mercury? To think of all the people with mercury in their mouths! I wish you all the best with this, get well soon as they say!

newmug wrote: »
    Bloody hell! Is there a test you can do to see if you actually are being poisoned by mercury? To think of all the people with mercury in their mouths! I wish you all the best with this, get well soon as they say!

Yup - There's a number of tests. The one that appears to be the most reliable is a hair mineral test. I have done both a hair mineral test, and a urine challenge test. Both demonstrated very elevated levels of mercury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Illness benefit is based on PRSI. If you've paid 260 weeks PRSI or more throughout your life, then you can get it for up to 2 years. If you have between 104 and 259 weeks, then you can only get it for up to one year. I'm not exactly sure where I fall into this. I will have to contact social welfare to find out.

Disability allowance doesn't go on PRSI. It's for anyone who will be ill or disabled to where they cannot work for at least a year. I absolutely fit this criteria, but somehow they have rejected me. I have a feeling that because of Government cutbacks - they are probably trying their arm to reject as many cases as possible.

I imagine it's because it's almost impossible to prove. You might know you're sick, but to them, you have working limbs and no proven medical condition which would qualify someone for disability benefit (as far as I know).

My brother is severely hearing impaired, suffers from scoliosis and other bone problems and he isn't entitled to disability benefit. I wouldn't imagine it would be easy to convince them that metal toxicity as a disability. I'm not saying you don't deserve it, but think of it from their perspective. They reject plenty of other people with much more obvious disabilities. It's not easy to tell when someone is just looking for a free ride. I'd definitely persevere, but don't be surprised that they're not making it easy. You may need to keep providing them with more information and proof. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You'll often find with SW and the health system that they are reluctant to be seen to give out disability payments too easily or any payments for that matter in the current fix we're in. It can even depend on the person you get to deal with your case. I'd try to get a face to face meeting if at all possible. I've never applied for DB but I know from being on SW in the past that I learned which officers to avoid in the offices and literally pretended that I'd gotten a phone call in the queue to avoid certain staff!!. I'm pretty sure that I'm metal toxic myself just stockpiling the supplements now and sending away for hair test. I've used up most of my holidays and all of my sick leave. It is a battle getting people to appreciate how hard it can be to hold down a job with chronic illness.

I have a medical exam on the 20th. I got my doctor to write my out a report to appeal their rejection of my claim. I'm still befuddled as to how they managed to make a decision before my actual medical exam. Bearing in mind that this upcoming medical exam isn't even for my disability claim, it's for my illness benefit.

In other news - Finished my 10th round of the Cutler protocol on Thursday. Seem to be managing a bit better recently. While my mind still is hazy, I haven't had any real overwhelming brain fog in 2 or 3 weeks. Going to be introducing ALA soon - Can't wait! also moving up to 25mg's of DMSA on Monday.

Good luck with your interview on 20th. Im sure you will be fine, your doing everything you can to get right so i don't know what more is expected of you?

Is following the Cutler Protocol expensive ?

Good luck with your interview on 20th. Im sure you will be fine, your doing everything you can to get right so i don't know what more is expected of you?

Is following the Cutler Protocol expensive ?

It's manageable, but it isn't cheap. I guess it all depends on how much disposable income you have.

At the moment - A bottle of DMSA lasts 5 rounds on my current dose of 25MG's per dose. (120 capsules per bottle). Each bottle is about €44 including shipping. I order from England. ALA works out at about just over €20 per bottle. Each bottle lasts 4 rounds.

So each month, for DMSA/ALA - You're looking at about €60. But bearing in mind, it all depends on what dose you are taking per round. If you double your dose, you're increasing the costs. Then on top of that, you need to supplement your body with lost minerals, and assist your liver with milk thistle.

Vitamin C: €20 a month
    Vitamin B Complex: €20 a month
    Milk Thistle: €25 a month
    Multibionta (Multivitamin): About €10 a month
    Zinc supplements: €20 a month
    Omega Oils: €5 a month (If you get a good deal online)

It all adds up to about €150 a month for supplements. I also have to pay gym membership, as I use the sauna to help with the detox and swim to try make sure I maintain fitness. That's €450 a year. (€37.50 a month).

I also have to adhere to a gluten free diet, which gets quite expensive.

It's not easy, it's not cheap. But then again, it wasn't cheap missing days from work all the time. It will benefit me in the long run.

:eek: That's a huge amount of money on supplements if your not working and relying on benefit. I presume none of this is available for you on a medical card?
    When it's your health though a price can't be put on it, hopefully it will work out for you and if not at least you have tried that route.

The side effects you experience from taking DMSA, are they only going to be experienced by people that have mercury issues?

:eek: That's a huge amount of money on supplements if your not working and relying on benefit. I presume none of this is available for you on a medical card?

Nope - Not available on medical card. It doesn't leave me with much disposable income. The only thing I really spend money on is the occasional book from amazon, and a few cups of tea on a Thursday night at a local Irish language group.
    The side effects you experience from taking DMSA, are they only going to be experienced by people that have mercury issues?

Well - the side effects vary.. But essentially what the DMSA is doing is mobilizing the mercury in your body and stripping you of it, piece by piece.. It also strips essential minerals. I uppped my dose this round from 12.5mg to 25mg and I could certainly feel it. It was very heavy. But it appears to be less now as my body has got used to it. Still on DMSA at the moment. Will finish up this round at 1pm tomorrow and then hit the sauna twice tomorrow. Once at 5pm when the DMSA wears off, and then once at about 9pm to remove som redistribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

• Advertisement

Thanks Hal! :) Time for some stocking up me thinks.

Quick update also: Finished round 12 on Thursday. Adding ALA this monday. Going to be considerably tougher from here on in - as I will have to take my doses every 3 hours now. I created a small dose box to keep track of them.

Blog is also updated: http://rejectmercury.blogspot.com

Best of luck dlofnep. It seems like yesterday when you started the cutler and were saying how much you were looking forward to starting on the ALA!

mars bar wrote: »
    Best of luck dlofnep. It seems like yesterday when you started the cutler and were saying how much you were looking forward to starting on the ALA!

cheers buddy! :)

I've been chatting to 2 people who have successfully gone through the Cutler protocol, and they have testified to it completely restoring their health. They've been offering me advice, and giving me the inspiration I need to tough it out. It's not easy, and not cheap - but you can't put a price on your health.

Also been chatting to a lady from England who started around the same time as me - we've been encouraging each other, and lending a listening ear to any problems. It's good to have someone to talk to who understands what you're going through.

I'm optimistic in anycase! :)

cheers buddy! :)

I've been chatting to 2 people who have successfully gone through the Cutler protocol, and they have testified to it completely restoring their health. They've been offering me advice, and giving me the inspiration I need to tough it out. It's not easy, and not cheap - but you can't put a price on your health.

Also been chatting to a lady from England who started around the same time as me - we've been encouraging each other, and lending a listening ear to any problems. It's good to have someone to talk to who understands what you're going through.

I'm optimistic in anycase! :)

You know what's odd? I don't go to the sauna often but when I do, I always think of you and wonder if any of the people in that sauna are you. :pac:

I can imagine it helps to have someone understanding how much work it all is. Keep it up!

mars bar wrote: »
    You know what's odd? I don't go to the sauna often but when I do, I always think of you and wonder if any of the people in that sauna are you. :pac:

I need to teach you the secret sauna handshake! ;)

Oh - PS: The 'medical exam' was pretty stupid. I felt like I was on a conveyor belt - in, 20 questions thrown at me in 3 minutes and then done. Didn't feel like I got to explain my problem properly.

Started on ALA today. 12.5mg doses.. Some people report a poor tolerance to ALA, and can only manage 5mg per dose - others have a much better tolerance. Luckily, I've had no side effects :) 25mg DMSA every 3 hours doesn't seem to hurt either. Infact, it's probably easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

How goes the ALA dlofnep ?

Yeah not bad man - can certainly feel the effects of it alright. I know the mercury is mobilizing. Nothing I can't handle though! :)

• Advertisement

Started my 14th round today. How time flies! I've already upped my dose to 25mgs for ALA. A girl I'm in contact with through e-mail seemed to handle the high ALA doses fine, and so did Áine Ní Cheallaigh when documenting her detox in her book.

I have to say it's going pretty smoothly. A wee bit spaced out, but nothing crazy. I've been a hell of a lot worse! Áine and the other girl went up to 100mgs of ALA in a matter of weeks - so I'll see how it goes. Right now, it's 25mg DMSA/25mg ALA.

Onward I say! :)

Advertisement