Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nah, a penguin on the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica told me George Best is.

Best is certainly up there.

But probably bono “shades” it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Would Conoe McGregor ever go and feck off for twenty years. :)

Probably not a 20 stretch, he’s no OJ Simpson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Surely Bono is the most famous Irish man at the moment in the world. If we are talking any Irish person not just sports ppl?

The most famous person we ever had in sport, Yes.

Most famous Irish person ever is debatable with the likes of Liam Neeson,Bono, Colin Farrell etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Surely Bono is the most famous Irish man at the moment in the world. If we are talking any Irish person not just sports ppl?

I live abroad and pretty much any time I say I'm Irish, the only famous person from Ireland people mention is McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

xckjoo wrote: »
    In Ireland/UK/Europe, sure I'll accept that. That name was made up by the media though to sell papers (in Europe).

Except Brazil apparently, which I'd argue is one of the biggest footballing nations. Again, how would you expect them to have heard of him in the 70s? They were probably only dimmly aware of the European cups happening. If they even cared.

Making up quantitative comparisons now? Why not a million?

I actually don't but that's not too surprising. Were you in Ireland when it happened by any chance? A good measure would be to see how widely covered it was across the world.

It's a tiny airport in a small country whos recent history is marred with violence and division. It was named after him because the locals loved him, not because he was so well known worldwide.

You do get into a lot of strange conversations that are strangely relevant to obscure discussions :pac:
    China was going through the Cultural Revolution in the 60s/70s. They weren't watching European club football. They must have learnt about him since then. Which goes against your point about his peak fame.

In Ireland and the UK, sure. Worldwide, now or in the past? Doubtful.

Nope. Beechwood keeps saying he was the best player and Pele agrees so he must be the most famous. And Pele is from Brazil so I'm just pointing out that even his fellow country men (a particularly football mad group of people) aren't aware of him. Finally, I actually have some first hand knowledge of the topic and how it relates to the country. I'd suspect the same is true in Argentina for example, but don't know for sure so not going to argue it.
    Best and Brazil actually came up through you in the other thread so weird that you're complaining about it now.

I was first to mention George Best but I didn't bring Brazil into the conversation.

You jumped on the Brazil bandwagon after I mentioned Pele thought George Best was the greatest footballer in the world. Which he was.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

[/B]
    I was first to mention George Best but I didn't bring Brazil into the conversation.

You jumped on the Brazil bandwagon after I mentioned Pele thought George Best was the greatest footballer in the world. Which he was.
    Weren't you complaining that I kept talking about skill a few mins ago?
    You're the one bringing levels of skill into the conversation, and Brazil for some strange reason.
    Looks like it. Does "greatest footballer" mean something different here that isn't related to his skill on the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

Bono by far, for the past 30+years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

batgoat wrote: »
    Yep, Keane was known to be incredibly respectable off the pitch. He's literally known in Cork for all the work he does in relation to guide dogs.

He’s mellowed with age

RCK1 wrote: »
    Bono by far, for the past 30+years

Acually it’s liam and he’s not even Irish he’s northern Irish.

Someone asked for details on G Best funeral

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2005/dec/03/1

Does anyone seriously think McG will have anything remotely comparable when he heads off to the octagon in the sky?

Not a hope.

He’ll have his grieving family, a few randomers and maybe a few true blue Dublin pigeons.

• Advertisement

Someone asked for details on G Best funeral

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2005/dec/03/1

Does anyone seriously think McG will have anything remotely comparable when he heads off to the octagon in the sky?

Not a hope.

He’ll have his grieving family, a few randomers and maybe a few true blue Dublin pigeons.

So I picked the same paper as you and according to them Joey Dunlop had a much bigger send off.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2000/jul/08/northernireland.johnmullin1

Was he more famous ?

So I picked the same paper as you and according to them Joey Dunlop had a much bigger send off.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2000/jul/08/northernireland.johnmullin1

Was he more famous ?

To clarify. Someone Requested info on the funeral and I provided a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

To clarify. Someone Requested info on the funeral and I provided a link.

But it backfired on your point, ouch hate that.

But it backfired on your point, ouch hate that.

No I simply asked does anyone think McG will get a remotely similar funeral?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

xckjoo wrote: »
    Weren't you complaining that I kept talking about skill a few mins ago?

Looks like it. Does "greatest footballer" mean something different here that isn't related to his skill on the pitch?

You're getting more nonsensical by the post, asking questions and answering them yourself.

I'm not sure what that's all about but I've got a feeling you've got more time on your hands than I can spare.

Best of luck xckjoo.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

So fame is based on numbers at the funeral bit morbid tbh.

The reason you endorsed this point is because you don't believe when McGregor croaks can get 300 people at his funeral and 32k out for a gander you were pointed out that 50k came out for Joey Dunlop and couldn't answer whether based off your own criteria did that mean Dunlop was more famous than Best because now that looks ridiculous.

So fame is based on numbers at the funeral bit morbid tbh.

The reason you endorsed this point is because you don't believe when McGregor croaks can get 300 people at his funeral and 32k out for a gander you were pointed out that 50k came out for Joey Dunlop and couldn't answer wheter based on your own criteria did that mean Dunlop was more famous than Best because now that looks ridiculous.

No not at all. I’ve already made my points in favour of G Best. Feel free to go back and read my points. Plenty on Wikipedia etc too if you want to do some further reading.

The funeral is a side issue but it does show the level of fame he had.

No not at all. I’ve already made my points in favour of G Best. Feel free to go back and read my points. Plenty on Wikipedia etc too if you want to do some further reading.

The funeral is a side issue but it does show the level of fame he had.

Who’s more famous best or joey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

magma69 wrote: »
    I live abroad and pretty much any time I say I'm Irish, the only famous person from Ireland people mention is McGregor.

But they'd all know Bono too though, McGregor is just in at the moment and really only with young people, Bono's been around forever and would be much better known across renerations imo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lads there's only one was to settle this. Someone has to kill Bono so we can count how many people go to his funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Lads there's only one was to settle this. Someone has to kill Bono so we can count how many people go to his funeral.
    If these lads couldn't do it then I don't think anyone can, they had a gun and all!

03kgbokg.jpg

But they'd all know Bono too though, McGregor is just in at the moment and really only with young people, Bono's been around forever and would be much better known across renerations imo

I would say McGregor is more known by people under 35 and Bono is more known by people over 35.

I also don't really care and this discussion is absurd lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What we can't talk about must be one of the biggest open secrets ever, I wonder when that case will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

What does a funeral have to do with how worldwide famous and popular someone is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

upinsmoke wrote: »
    What does a funeral have to do with how worldwide famous and popular someone is?

tenor.gif

How many people attended Bin Laden's funeral compared to George Best's funeral?

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Seems to be pretty obvious that this story has been released by some powers that be in response to McGregors retirement.

Also it seems that McGregors team have some pretty big analytics team battling to keep the story off the top trends on Twitter, google etc.

It’s actually quite a fascinating PR battle. I’m just curious as to what the end game is going to be here.

I’d say Leo is glad he didn’t engage with him in Chicago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I do wish him well with the whiskey business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Seems to be pretty obvious that this story has been released by some powers that be in response to McGregors retirement.

Also it seems that McGregors team have some pretty big analytics team battling to keep the story off the top trends on Twitter, google etc.

It’s actually quite a fascinating PR battle. I’m just curious as to what the end game is going to be here.

I’d say Leo is glad he didn’t engage with him in Chicago anyway.
    PR Team Mac will probably tap :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gamb!t wrote:
    PR Team Mac will probably tap
    It's not really funny anymore and I doubt anybody is going to bite either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement