Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If we are talking about peak fame George best beats both easily

Hell even nowadays there’s an international airport named after him. That’s real fame.

Overall keane is better known than both too. Not in America I grant that but worldwide

Give it up. Best wasn't well known outside Europe. He played pre internet and mass media for a national team that didn't win much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

xckjoo wrote: »
    Give it up. Best wasn't well known outside Europe. He played pre internet and mass media for a national team that didn't win much.

Go and educate yourself. He was considered the best footballer ever !!

Pele said as much. He was MASSIVELY Famous worldwide.

a level of fame mcg will never replicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

When the rumours 1st came out it was all bullsh!t and no way true

No its confirmed its him its he hasnt been charged yet

Then when he's charged it will be inocent until proven guilty

Then when he is found guilty it will be a miscarriage of justice

Peoples obsession with him is very strange

Its not just McGregor tho Cristiano Ronaldo number 1 in the famous sports stars 2019 list has been accused of rape / sexual assualt by 5 different women over the years and the 2009 rape claim against him in Vegas there are leaked documents which have him admitting the alleged victim "said no and stop several times." Since October 2018 the legal representatives of the woman from the 2009 allegation have been trying to serve a summons to Ronaldo but can`t as they can`t get access to him, this is all being largely ignored by the media & football & Italian authorities & fans, primarily because he scores lots of goals & is widely famous popular

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

robwen wrote: »
    Its not just McGregor tho Cristiano Ronaldo number 1 in the famous sports stars 2019 list has been accused of rape / sexual assualt by 5 different women over the years and the 2009 rape claim against him in Vegas there are leaked documents which have him admitting the alleged victim "said no and stop several times." Since October 2018 the legal representatives of the woman from the 2009 allegation have been trying to serve a summons to Ronaldo but can`t as they can`t get access to him, this is all being largely ignored by the media & football & Italian authorities & fans, primarily because he scores lots of goals & is widely famous popular

He also bought a baby which was, ya know, a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Haha. A blind beggar in a slum in Culcatta would know who Conor McGregor is at this stage.

To be fair working in Italy and a lot never heard of him!

I mentioned it after news broke and had to explain who he is. But you'll get people who don't know him who don't pay interest to him.

Would definitely be one of the most famous if not most famous Irish sporting stars ever, but it's all falling apart for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I was in Bhutan last year (thinly veiled I've been to Bhutan post) and when I said where I'm from the cabbie immediately started talking about Conor McGregor.

It's unlikely a Bhutanese taxi driver in the 60s or 70s would know who George Best was.

He has a level of fame that no Irish sports figure ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Had the same when I was in Iran (thinly veiled I've been to Iran post) with the locals mentioning McGregor when I said I was Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yurt! wrote: »
    I was in Bhutan last year (thinly veiled I've been to Bhutan post) and when I said where I'm from the cabbie immediately started talking about Conor McGregor.

It's unlikely a Bhutanese taxi driver in the 60s or 70s would know who George Best was.

He has a level of fame that no Irish sports figure ever had.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves

There are undiscovered tribes in the rain forests of Madagascar who know who Padraig Harrington is

Lets not get ahead of ourselves

There are undiscovered tribes in the rain forests of Madagascar who know who Padraig Harrington is

Well if a cabbie in a relatively isolated Himalayan country knowing who a person is isn't indicative of a certain level of fame I don't know what is.

The food is ****e there by the way, nice scenery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

When the rumours 1st came out it was all bullsh!t and no way true

No its confirmed its him its he hasnt been charged yet

Then when he's charged it will be innocent until proven guilty

Then when he is found guilty it will be a miscarriage of justice

Peoples obsession with him is very strange

It's all begrudgery, we're a nation of begrudgers.

• Advertisement

But we're not talking about the most skilled, just the level of fame. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on football or footballers but this is something I've actually had many discussions on. In Brazil, with natives and other Irish travellers who were far more into football than I ever will be. No Brazilian of any age had heard of him. We had people ringing their friends to see if they had heard of him and it was always no. You gotta remember that this was before the Internet and even wide spread TV coverage. How would they have heard of him? A couple of lines in the newspaper about what the European teams are doing? They don't even pay that much attention to European football. Brazil alone is the size of Europe and every other country beside them is football mad too. They have their own leagues and competitions. Pele knew of him because he was also a footballer. Irelands best tiddly winks player probably knows Brazils best, but I haven't the foggiest who either of them would be.

Extending that, consider how many people there are in Asia. None of them would have followed European football in the 60s and 70s. Its not like they could stick on sky sports. But any of them that have heard of UFC will probably have heard of McGregor. Any that have heard of Man U will probably think of someone like Beckham or Fergie.

But we're not talking about the most skilled, just the level of fame. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on football or footballers but this is something I've actually had many discussions on. In Brazil, with natives and other Irish travellers who were far more into football than I ever will be. No Brazilian of any age had heard of him. We had people ringing their friends to see if they had heard of him and it was always no. You gotta remember that this was before the Internet and even wide spread TV coverage. How would they have heard of him? A couple of lines in the newspaper about what the European teams are doing? They don't even pay that much attention to European football. Brazil alone is the size of Europe and every other country beside them is football mad too. They have their own leagues and competitions. Pele knew of him because he was also a footballer. Irelands best tiddly winks player probably knows Brazils best, but I haven't the foggiest who either of them would be.

Extending that, consider how many people there are in Asia. None of them would have followed European football in the 60s and 70s. Its not like they could stick on sky sports. But any of them that have heard of UFC will probably have heard of McGregor. Any that have heard of Man U will probably think of someone like Beckham or Fergie.

Basically Best had the same level of fame as the Beatles at the time. He was known as el beatle following the European cup win.

He was extremely famous among soccer supporting nations.

More say than McG by a factor of ten.

Do you recall his funeral? Huge crowds. Wall to wall coverage on tv. Like princess Diana’s.

They named their international airport after him.

I’ve had ppl from China stop me in Dublin city centre and ask where is the statue to him and have had to explain its in Belfast not Dublin

He’s up there with Muhammad Ali and Pele in terms of fame.

El_Bee wrote: »
    It's all begrudgery, we're a nation of begrudgers.

Nobody likes a rapist* tho

*Alleged

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You're the one bringing levels of skill into the conversation, and Brazil for some strange reason.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Also don’t get me wrong he was far from an angel

Presume you know the famous story

George was in a top London hotel in bed with miss world, bottles of champagne strewn around the room

The Waiter sticks his head in the door

“Dear oh dear George. Where did it all go wrong???”

Sums the man up. Far from a Saint by my word could he play the game of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

McGregor is bigger than Best was ever! To think otherwise is mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

OK. I was in Tibet and when I said where I was from a Sherpa started singing 'Ooh Aah Paul McGrath'.

upinsmoke wrote: »
    McGregor is bigger than Best was ever! To think otherwise is mad

Simply not true.

There’s loads of Irish ppl who don’t know who Conor is ffs

They say who’s that knackjob with the beard who does be fighting. I’m taking major numbers of Irish ppl don’t know him

All the fanboys need to realise mma is niche and not even considered a sport by a lot of ppl. It’s a flash in the pan job

It’s like in the early 90s wwf had its 15 mins of fame and the likes of randy savage was on the late late. It came and it went.

I remember ppl honestly thought wwf was going to overtake gaa and rugby in this country. They genuinely feared that. Ppl would laugh at that now

Basically Best had the same level of fame as the Beatles at the time. He was known as el beatle following the European cup win.
    In Ireland/UK/Europe, sure I'll accept that. That name was made up by the media though to sell papers (in Europe).
    He was extremely famous among soccer supporting nations.
    Except Brazil apparently, which I'd argue is one of the biggest footballing nations. Again, how would you expect them to have heard of him in the 70s? They were probably only dimmly aware of the European cups happening. If they even cared.
    More say than McG by a factor of ten.
    Making up quantitative comparisons now? Why not a million?
    Do you recall his funeral? Huge crowds. Wall to wall coverage on tv. Like princess Diana’s.
    I actually don't but that's not too surprising. Were you in Ireland when it happened by any chance? A good measure would be to see how widely covered it was across the world.
    They named their international airport after him.
    It's a tiny airport in a small country whos recent history is marred with violence and division. It was named after him because the locals loved him, not because he was so well known worldwide.
    I’ve had ppl from China stop me in Dublin city centre and ask where is the statue to him and have had to explain its in Belfast not Dublin
    You do get into a lot of strange conversations that are strangely relevant to obscure discussions :pac:
    China was going through the Cultural Revolution in the 60s/70s. They weren't watching European club football. They must have learnt about him since then. Which goes against your point about his peak fame.
    He’s up there with Muhammad Ali and Pele in terms of fame.
    In Ireland and the UK, sure. Worldwide, now or in the past? Doubtful.

You're the one bringing levels of skill into the conversation, and Brazil for some strange reason.
    Nope. Beechwood keeps saying he was the best player and Pele agrees so he must be the most famous. And Pele is from Brazil so I'm just pointing out that even his fellow country men (a particularly football mad group of people) aren't aware of him. Finally, I actually have some first hand knowledge of the topic and how it relates to the country. I'd suspect the same is true in Argentina for example, but don't know for sure so not going to argue it.
    Best and Brazil actually came up through you in the other thread so weird that you're complaining about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

mma is niche and not even considered a sport by a lot of ppl. It’s a flash in the pan job

Those people clearly don't understand sports.
    It’s like in the early 90s wwf had its 15 mins of fame and the likes of randy savage was on the late late. It came and it went.

If it went, as you say, how come the company is worth almost seven billion dollars?

• Advertisement

Simply not true.

They say who’s that knackjob with the beard who does be fighting. I’m taking major numbers of Irish ppl don’t know him

All the fanboys need to realise mma is niche and not even considered a sport by a lot of ppl. It’s a flash in the pan job

I remember ppl honestly thought wwf was going to overtake gaa and rugby in this country. They genuinely feared that. Ppl would laugh at that now

Who do you be talking to and what hole do they crawl out of? Nobody with any sense thought WWF was going to overtake anything. It's not even a sport FFS (it's classified as sports entertainment).

Funny how you have both loads of conversation about McGregor and yet nobody knows who he is. Was it the legions of Chinese tourists looking for George Best? I think you've overplayed your hand here. Credibility gone. No more feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

George Best was sports star famous in Ireland and the UK, and known by sports fans in Europe in an era when sports wasn’t the all invading multi-channel behemoth it is now.

McGregor is an internationally reknowned celebrity who happens to sometimes be involved in sport. As distasteful as it is, I don't think there's any question he's a bigger deal than Best.

Who do you be talking to and what hole do they crawl out of? Nobody with any sense thought WWF was going to overtake anything. It's not even a sport FFS (it's classified as sports entertainment).

Funny how you have both loads of conversation about McGregor and yet nobody knows who he is. Was it the legions of Chinese tourists looking for George Best? I think you've overplayed your hand here. Credibility gone. No more feeding

When did I say “legions” of Chinese. It happened to me precisely ONCE

Loads of Irish have no interest in McG or the mma. The fanboys need to accept this

The Best funeral was massive. It was like a full state funeral

Would the same happen for McG whenever he passes on to the great octagon in the sky? Not a hope. It’ll be the family and a few event junkies and that’ll be it.

Ush1 wrote: »
    He also bought a baby which was, ya know, a bit odd.

Loads of people adopt children. Is it much different because he's a rich footballer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is a tribe that have never been contacted by the outside world before but the guy on the right still describes himself as "The Champ Champ".

Note - not "the fifth Beatle".

Take that George Best.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Nal wrote: »
    This is a tribe that have never been contacted by the outside world before but the guy on the right still describes himself as "The Champ Champ".

Can you break that down for me. I've no idea what your meaning is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Will Conor McGregor have an airport named after him? Doubtful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Assuming this isn't deliberate trolling, the fact that you don't seem to like MMA doesn't magically make your objectively totally incorrect opinion, correct.

One of the most famous sports personalities in the world, he's from Ireland, and you're claiming 'major' numbers of Irish people don't know who he is.

ESPN have him listed as one of the most famous sports people in the world, based on several different criteria. I suppose they have it wrong?

It's nothing whatsoever to do with fanboys. It is literally just a case of objective fact. Claiming Conor McGregor isn't famous or that MMA is a flash in the pan are both completely at odds with the actual facts.

Conor is one of the worlds best known sports stars, and MMA is one of the most popular sports in the world. These are simple facts.

If you're going to make outlandish claims to the contrary, the least you could do is point to some form of evidence rather than spout nonsense.

If MMA fits your definition of 'niche', a lot of popular sports are niche too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Simply not true.

I just don't think you realize or ever will how big McGregor is. Leave the sports element out if for a minute. He is a global celebrity, like a famous actor or famous musician. Best is a huge name don't get me wrong but never had the draw McGregor has.

• Advertisement

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Will Conor McGregor have an airport named after him? Doubtful

Unlikely, although he still has been more famous globally over the past number of years than Best ever was.

I'm not asking you to like him (I don't), but people refusing to acknowledge he's incredibly famous worldwide (probably to a degree no Irish athlete has been before) are being obtuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement