Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COVID insurance refunds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭ccmp

I got my refund on classic car policy from axa. Policy was through Carole Nash. €30 Refund. Anyone know whether aviva are doing refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Am I being cynical in thinking that even IF they were ordered / public pressured to give everyone back say a months insurance that they would just recoup it next year in your premium?;) Or divide it out by a few years and slowly recoup it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

20 eur circle k voucher claimed online for liberty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Got the same. Could someone explain to me where you can use the card?

I tried using it online twice and it didn’t work- must be the no name on it?

Then I tried to pay for fuel with it in Apple green, as it has no chip I had to swipe - declined.

Incredibly frustrating . Haven’t even checked to see if there’s €35 on the thing

There’s a website that tells you all the retailers. It also says which ones accept them online. They’re very very widely accepted- Tesco, next, M&S, woodies,lifestyle, DID electrical, EZ Living etc etc. You can check the balance online

Nothing here yet. Am with AXA, through a broker. Would have expected more than €30 though. I got €450 back from Laya, I know the policy cost more, but still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Am I being cynical in thinking that even IF they were ordered / public pressured to give everyone back say a months insurance that they would just recoup it next year in your premium?;) Or divide it out by a few years and slowly recoup it;)

Who could 'order ' insurers to refund premiums and on what basis?

Anyway, to follow through on your argument, of course they would recoup it over a period, just like they could offer lower premiums next year if they were allowed retain it. Given what it costs to administer a €30 refund, the reduction in premium would be significantly more.

BTW, the refund insurers are giving comes from their share of your premium. Why don't you get on to your TD to get the Government refund the statutory levy element of what you paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The battery in car is on the way out from not being driven.
    I think the replacement OEM one is around €500.
    All "donations" from insurance companies or otherwise will be gladly accepted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

jlm29 wrote: »
    There’s a website that tells you all the retailers. It also says which ones accept them online. They’re very very widely accepted- Tesco, next, M&S, woodies,lifestyle, DID electrical, EZ Living etc etc. You can check the balance online

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Whocare

jlm29 wrote: »
    Nothing here yet. Am with AXA, through a broker. Would have expected more than €30 though. I got €450 back from Laya, I know the policy cost more, but still!

I'm with AXA directly got my 30 euro last Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

has anybody else received a refund cheque from their insurers? i received a massive €30 cheque. Considering my car has only been used for 10 minutes a week for nearly 3 months its a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

ah but it's been insured for fire and theft 24/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

Would rather they pushed out the renewal by a month or more. Wouldve been more relative as we all pay different prices, but get the same voucher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Allianz refunded 30 into my bank a/c a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

123 sent me a One4All card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

has anybody else received a refund cheque from their insurers? i received a massive €30 cheque. Considering my car has only been used for 10 minutes a week for nearly 3 months its a joke.

Why didn't you cancel your insurance and get taxis, or hire cars?

Did you inform your insurance that you were only using the car for 10 minutes a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

matchthis wrote: »
    Would rather they pushed out the renewal by a month or more. Wouldve been more relative as we all pay different prices, but get the same voucher

the 30 they sent me wouldn't cover a month. 2 weeks at best

There’s another thread on this somewhere, but yes, mine came this morning. €30 is €30, and obv it’s better in my pocket than someone else’s, but it’s a bit miserable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

I got a crappy voucher 30 euro from 123.ie
    voucher is one4all gift card
    Saw the list of stores that support it. One said game-stop
    Proceeded to order a game from game-stop only for the online payment did not work.
    I now have to risk going into the store (getting covid lol and not crashing my car) to purchase said game.

I can just imagine all the insurance company's got together and be like.
    Customers are pissed and want refunds. Lets refund them 30 euros.
    and make it difficult to cash it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I got it and was glad to get it! Unfortunately, I don't have a bank branch to go into anywhere in the county, so it looks like it's gonna go unlodged.

I got a crappy voucher 30 euro from 123.ie
    voucher is one4all gift card
    Saw the list of stores that support it. One said game-stop
    Proceeded to order a game from game-stop only for the online payment did not work.
    I now have to risk going into the store (getting covid lol and not crashing my car) to purchase said game.

You could just buy the game with your own money, and use the voucher elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Ya €30 seems to be the going rate. RSA are doing one for all vouchers for the same amount. It really is just a token gesture.

Someone with a €300 premium gets 10% back, someone paying €1000 only gets 3%. Makes no sense. A lot of people were off the road for about 25% of the year. I get the fire & theft argument but still €30 is less than what most people deserve. Then some people were still driving to work everyday, they get the same. I don’t begrudge them. With less traffic on the roads, their risk would have decreased too. Guess it was too much trouble for insurance companies to do this properly and only did it anyway because of government pressure I say.

Mine was up last week and my renewal was higher than the previous year. Just got the disc in the post. No phone call to ask was I working from home, am I driving less than I used to, nothing.

I shopped around and got it down from €850 to €650. My current insurers (BOI) had zero interest in even trying to keep me as a customer. 123 were about 25% cheaper than them and both are RSA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Got nothing here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Perhaps if the refund is the same for everyone. naybe its time to make insurance a flat rate for everyone.

I got it and was glad to get it! Unfortunately, I don't have a bank branch to go into anywhere in the county, so it looks like it's gonna go unlodged.

Travel restrictions are lifted from Monday. And cheques are usually valid for 6 months. Perhaps you’ll be passing a bank sometime between now and Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Whocare

That's life not fair. Me and other hand it made no different was still driving 10 hours plus a week and still got my refund of 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I can just imagine all the insurance company's got together and be like.
    Customers are pissed and want refunds. Lets refund them 30 euros...

Ya, it is a bit suspicious that they all came up with the same amount. Was that due to open discussion with government or just a huge coincidence they all privately came to the conclusion €30 was the right figure?

Surely that shows that they are acting as a cartel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Liberty only gave an even more miserable €15 - limited to either a Circle K fuel card or a Supervalu card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ya, it is a bit suspicious that they all came up with the same amount. Was that due to open discussion with government or just a huge coincidence they all privately came to the conclusion €30 was the right figure?

You need to redefine your definition of a cartel :rolleyes:

jlm29 wrote:
    Travel restrictions are lifted from Monday. And cheques are usually valid for 6 months. Perhaps you’ll be passing a bank sometime between now and Christmas

Hope so! It is KBC, so the nearest "hub" is over 3 hours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Liberty only gave an even more miserable €15 - limited to either a Circle K fuel card or a Supervalu card.

Got a €20 voucher that could be used in Circle K, Supervalu or donate to a charity of choice.

Absolute disgrace. It represents 15% of 3 months premiums - my car hasn't left the drive since 18th March, was trailered to a mechanic on the 29th May and hasn't seen the road since - over 3 months.

At least with the health insurance they issues 35% refund each month for the last 3 months as a result of the pandemic.

Motor insurance is a scam and people are continually being swindled by motor insurance companies

• Advertisement

jim salter wrote: »
    Got a €20 voucher that could be used in Circle K, Supervalu or donate to a charity of choice.

Absolute disgrace. It represents 15% of 3 months premiums - my car hasn't left the drive since 18th March, was trailered to a mechanic on the 29th May and hasn't seen the road since - over 3 months.

At least with the health insurance they issues 35% refund each month for the last 3 months as a result of the pandemic.

Motor insurance is a scam and people are continually being swindled by motor insurance companies

See post #6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

If so, then it's about time that Aviva joined the cartel - because I got nothing! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

allianz refunded 30 euro straight back to my credit card (and im in the office working so using the car now !)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Liberty gave me €25 in either SuperValu or Circle K. Neither of which I shop at of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Liberty gave me €25 in either SuperValu or Circle K. Neither of which I shop at of course...

I recommend the petrol in Circle K - it smells great! And the diesel ain't bad either.

They also sell great coffee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Pretty much every bank will accept postal lodgements, so I suspect you are just looking for an excuse to give out.

Pretty much every bank will accept postal lodgements, so I suspect you are just looking for an excuse to give out.

Woah, talk about an over reaction! I'm not giving out at all. I even said I was grateful to get it, in response to people saying it's only €30. I've just ran into difficulty with trying to get a cheque sorted with KBC before... good gosh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

People moan when they get no money back, people moan when they get money back. Summary - people like to moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I recommend the petrol in Circle K - it smells great! And the diesel ain't bad either.

Aboy Karl Eller! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Allinall wrote: »
    See post #6.

Not being smart ....but....relevance ?:confused:

Given that every insurer is a cartel member and not one has broken rank on pricing in 5 years, I'm surprised they haven't told everyone to fluck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Changed from AXA in the middle of this. Not expecting to get anything. The €200 reduction in premium more than makes up for it.
    Both myself and the wife received a €30 cheque each today. We both had changed to different insurance companies. Pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My wife got a text from bank of Ireland car insurance she is getting a €30 one for all voucher, im with Aviva don't think i am getting anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

If so, then it's about time that Aviva joined the cartel - because I got nothing! :(

Ditto, I will be reminding them of this come renewal time.

Darwin wrote: »
    Ditto, I will be reminding them of this come renewal time.

And if they are still the cheapest premium, you'll do nothing and pay up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

And if they are still the cheapest premium, you'll do nothing and pay up

Nope, will shop around this time and will happily move my policy and the wife’s if there is not much difference.

Darwin wrote: »
    Nope, will shop around this time and will happily move my policy and the wife’s if there is not much difference.

Do you not shop around every year???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What kind of a stupid post is this, I'm not having that, their coffee is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

We are insured with its4women, they are not in the humor to give refunds or vouchers at this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I had heard a few weeks back on the radio that insurance companies were being asked to give partial refunds to customers because there was a lot less driving going on....and claims would be down.

Last week, I got an All4One gift card from Zurich for €40. It's about a 7-8% refund, but I have to say, I wasn't expecting anything and I am quite happy for the gesture. It may have been strategic too, because my renewal offer also arrived the next day. It's about 3 weeks early, as my policy doesn't end until the third week in August.

That said, it's the first renewal I have had in about 10 years that hasn't increased by hundreds of euros. It's about the same as I paid last year as a new customer.

So, have you got a partial refund from your insurer in the past 3 months due to Covid 19?

Stay Free

• Advertisement
Advertisement