Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Galway1989 wrote: »
    The main thing is that people stay safe. Heres hoping that damage to property and cars is minimal. I'm not worried about a couple of days waiting for power to be restored. I'm genuinely worrying now about getting to and from work on Monday. I've got the motorway (a crosswind moved the car yesterday on the journey home, never mind contending with a storm) and I've got several roads I could use lined with poles and trees.

If I decided not to travel, would I be the only wuss that stayed at home or the only sensible one that didn't venture out?

A downgrade to a few gales would be excellent right about now!!!

I'm going to try to persuade my fiance to take Monday off. It will probably look safe enough early in the morning, but Pheeley's supposed to land at lunchtime. The drive after work is what's worrying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I work in Galway & commute from Athlone via the M6. Would I be mad to try & go to work on Monday??

I also commute into Galway and personally I'm worried about the abundance of trucks/HGV on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nothing on Dublin Bus as of this time about potential impact on services, looking at some of the images of the storm scale it seems larger than the island of Ireland, we in a heap of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A caravan park in England after the 1987 storm.I wouldn't like to be in one on the South coast come Monday afternoon.

45412D4700000578-0-image-m-24_1507967111315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mrself

Does anyone know what kind of timeframe we are looking at Monday morning? Im thinking school runs and if I should consider keeping the kids home. Do we know how early it will hit?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I think the Army should be mobilised and all aircraft be evacuated from Shannon and Cork airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I'm up in a house on a hill in Galway at the moment, wind speed is 34km and I can hear it clearly - nothing new for Galway, we're used to it. But seriously, the idea of reaching 80 is worrying. What is even more worrying is the laid back attitude of some people. The 'Ireland doesn't get hurricanes' view is popular so people don't realise there is a hurricane heading our direction. Yes It might have calmed before Monday, but still, will people take this seriously! It's not just a bit of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

I'm going to try to persuade my fiance to take Monday off. It will probably look safe enough early in the morning, but Pheeley's supposed to land at lunchtime. The drive after work is what's worrying me.

Yep I might find myself stranded at work after the morning commute! The M17 is so exposed in parts. I hope we get some decent advice tomorrow after the emergency group meet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I got this from an acquaintance on twitter. I looked it up. From METALERT IRELAND. Take it as you will.

https://www.facebook.com/metalertireland/

DMH9wnpWsAYXOH4.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A lot of the scales being used are the uk mph, 80 mph is 128kmph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Doltanian wrote: »
    I think the Army should be mobilised and all aircraft be evacuated from Shannon and Cork airport.

The way things are looking, Dublin Airport could be also likely to experience some serious wind.
    It might be moving them all to somewhere in England temporarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

It’s a tad strange when there’s better coverage of this storms impact in Ireland on bbc news 24 than on RTÉ news tonight

A lot of the scales being used are the uk mph, 80 mph is 128kmph.

I really wish met services would stick to one SI unit, or at least use one reference unit if they must use knots, mph, inches, roods to the ghurry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

aidanodr wrote: »
    DMH9wnpWsAYXOH4.jpg:large

Who originally posted it?

A lot of people are waiting for the official green light r.e cancelling non essential travel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I don't usually scare that easily but remember stupidly trying to drive home in 2014 during that storm. I actually feared for my life so am taking heed of warnings. Am hoping work (school in cork area) close but as if yet we are open. Grand for locals but I've an hour and half (on an average day) commute just to get there. Seriously considering ringing in if weather is as bad as expected especially if I can't guarantee getting home to The kids on time either
    Was away all day today so will be cleaning up the yard tomorrow- 're trampoline beyond sandbags to weigh the legs down what else can we Do? Remove side netting? We have it pegged down with straps as it is as we lost the last one in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I don't usually scare that easily but remember stupidly trying to drive home in 2014 during that storm. I actually feared for my life so am taking heed of warnings. Am hoping work (school in cork area) close but as if yet we are open. Grand for locals but I've an hour and half (on an average day) commute just to get there. Seriously considering ringing in if weather is as bad as expected especially if I can't guarantee getting home to The kids on time either
    Was away all day today so will be cleaning up the yard tomorrow- 're trampoline beyond sandbags to weigh the legs down what else can we Do? Remove side netting? We have it pegged down with straps as it is as we lost the last one in 2014.

Put a name tag on it so people know who to return it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jd wrote: »
    I'd stay away from any east coast beaches, easy to get sideswiped by southerly running swells.

This will test all those tower cranes in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mrself

Is this going to hit early Monday morning? Should kids be kept home from school?

We've got someone having a huge argument that they can't cancel a meeting because there's no official advice not to make non-essential journeys.

Someone needs to declare this a stay-in-place national emergency, or you'll get employees being coerced into going to work in very dangerous conditions.

I was also speaking to someone earlier who had a hospital appointment which they'd been waiting months on and they're likely to attempt to travel whether there's a storm or not. The HSE needs to be VERY clear about that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

This will test all those tower cranes in Dublin.

Could be a few spinny tops in North Wall Quay alright on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What's the worse case scenario for this storm and Dublin, I have no idea the magnitude of it, are we suggesting that folk in the south of Ireland shouldn't be leaving their homes and probably won't have much power after it hits - what about Dublin. Also how long is this storm - a few hours?

All that might sound stupid but I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

I'm seriously thinking of writing a pre-morterm for this storm and the way we're handling it as a nation.

Met Eireann are the de-facto gurus when it comes to weather forecasts and are providing data for other organisations to make decisions. Except no-one else appears to be...

Emergency.ie meeting is scheduled for tomorrow (should have been one on Friday looking at what decisions needed to be made by who and when). I expect there could be a mad scramble after that meeting ends? Any idea what time it's at?

Bus Eireann have made an early call and I thinnk it makes a lot of sense.

Some locations have activated flood barriers but I haven't seen a whole lot of noise.

Of the few people I bumped into today, very few were aware of the storm and even those who were weren't treating it very seriously.

My severe weather plan is already activated. Cleared up the yard today to remove any potential debris. Have stocked up on essentials on the basis there is a good chance electrical supplies will be affected. Have verified with the school that they will alert Sunday evening if they are closing but it's at the descretion of parents whether to send kids if the school is open. Current plan is to keep everyone home, stoke the fire and ride it ouit hopefully. Hoping it's a lot less wild than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Well we have the trampoline down in preparation for Monday but the tv signal is a bit iffy already with the wind.... how do ye think Castlebar will fair out?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

Those of us with a sizeable commute to work can tell the boss a tree fell in the driveway so we couldn't get to work. It is negligence to expect people to make it to work if there is a massive storm heading for us. We'll see what happens. I really don't want to be blowing this out of proportion but its not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Could be a few spinny tops in North Wall Quay alright on Monday
    Out of curiosity is there many tower cranes up around the South coast areas

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I could see a few cranes up in Tralee today from the N21 bypass roundabout!!

There's a crane up on a hilltop between Ballydesmond and Castleisland for wind turbine installation - could be an interesting one

Galway1989 wrote: »
    Those of us with a sizeable commute to work can tell the boss a tree fell in the driveway so we couldn't get to work. It is negligence to expect people to make it to work if there is a massive storm heading for us. We'll see what happens. I really don't want to be blowing this out of proportion but its not looking good

It may well be but one guy I know rang in and was told that if he didn't turn up he'd be facing disciplinary procedures. The boss was really aggressive about how people were 'trying to pull a long weekend'.

You can't assume everyone's appreciating how serious this situation could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

the TAF's tomorrow evening will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Who originally posted it?

A lot of people are waiting for the official green light r.e cancelling non essential travel...

I got this from an acquaintance on twitter. I looked it up. From METALERT IRELAND. Take it as you will.

https://www.facebook.com/metalertireland/

( will adjust previous post to reflect this )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Plenty in Cork city, one is in Cork University Hospital and is above the A&E section of hospital.
    I hope it stays up there.

Advertisement