Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK licence after Brexit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Its an EU directive regarding the 5 years on the truck & bus license regardless of what country you reside in, As for swapping licenses with other countries or people from EU countries coming to work here.
    It has always been the case that a driver may use their foreign license up to 12 months before having to exchange it to an Irish one, Although there was something in the legislation regarding UK issued licenses that were exempt from it.

Why is it that my truck entitlements don’t expire til 2045 on my UK licence then?

monkeynuz wrote: »
    If your c1/d1 was automatically added to your licence like mine was (I got full Licence in 1993) then you can’t transfer them unless you take a test.

I thought that too but I know others that transferred. I passed mine in 93 too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

portcrap wrote: »
    What’s to stop anyone holding a Uk licence and resident in Ireland doing the irish test and getting an irish licence while holding on to the UK one? Having both would suit me as I travel between both countries and may switch resident status between both countries over the next few years.
    My brother did that many years ago - although the other way around. He had a ROI licence and also did the test in NI to get a UK licence. (His rationale wasn't for completely legit reasons though!)
    They’d be starting from scratch. Theory Test, 12 EDT lessons and N plates thereafter
    Leaving aside the theory test and the 12 lessons, I presume they could continue driving on their UK licence for a couple of years unaccompanied and without L/N plates while they run down the clock on their ROI licence? Or am I missing something?

My brother did that many years ago - although the other way around. He had a ROI licence and also did the test in NI to get a UK licence. (His rationale wasn't for completely legit reasons though!)

Leaving aside the theory test and the 12 lessons, I presume they could continue driving on their UK licence for a couple of years unaccompanied and without L/N plates while they run down the clock on their ROI licence? Or am I missing something?

Why are we all running around trying to exchange our UK licences? We’re being told it will no longer be valid in the event of a No Deal.
    Unless you were exchanging the UK licence you’d effectively be a first time learner permit holder in Ireland and be treated like anyone else.

My personal situation as a driving instructor, here in Ireland on a UK licence I’d be basically mate jobless. I couldn’t continue as an ADI and have to go through the whole process. It’s mental.

Why are we all running around trying to exchange our UK licences? We’re being told it will no longer be valid in the event of a No Deal...
    Sorry I was thinking of a resident of the UK who drives a lot in the ROI - e.g someone living across the border who works in the ROI and who wishes to have both licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Isambard wrote: »
    another thing to bear in mind whilst you rush off to swap your license, I guess your new Irish license will bear all the points you built up on your "ghost" Irish license over the years.

That **** is a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

For anyone changing there license actually go to an NDLS centre rather than booking an appointment on the day, as sometimes it says there isn't an appointment for ages. They see a certain number of people on the day through a ticket system so as long as your there when it opens and have the time you'll be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Sorry I was thinking of a resident of the UK who drives a lot in the ROI - e.g someone living across the border who works in the ROI and who wishes to have both licences.
    In this case, you can't get an Irish licence. You have to be resident in Ireland to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I wonder can we drive in the north of Ireland in the event of a no deal Brexit on an Irish licence??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

That **** is a myth.

The ghost licence itself is not a myth.

I was driving on my UK licence and they attributed the point I got to a ghost.

You are correct that it is not then put onto your new Irish licence.

Seem to just sit on the ghost licence until they expire. My new Irish licence is clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Del2005 wrote: »
    They create a virtual Irish licence for non Irish licence holders. As its a virtual licence the points are associated with it but can't be applied as the licence isn't valid. So in theory they should be added to your Irish licence when you transfer regardless of how long ago you committed the offence but in practice it appears that they just disappear when you change to an Irish licence

I don't know how many times this has come up on this forum but this changed a few years ago, the process is that they are added to an RSA "driving record", take affect and expire in the usual way. Any additional points leading to a ban etc. only apply to Ireland. They need to be declared for insurance purposes. It's all described online.

It is also why I was asking the other poster about whether their UK license address is still valid as all FCPNs and communication go through that. There is also a specific offence in UK now of having out of date address details on your licence, although it's not invalidated as such.

The older "ghost licence" process wasn't as rigidly enforced as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I wonder can we drive in the north of Ireland in the event of a no deal Brexit on an Irish licence??

yes of course, on the same basis as any foreign visitor. You may well have to get a IDP though

R.O.R wrote: »
    Printed the form out and have an appointment booked for the 12th March.

Never use any other categories except for B, so not really bothered about losing them.

Do you need a PSC to speed this up? Only photo ID I have is my (UK) passport. UK Drivers licence is the really old A4 paper one.

The PSC makes things easier but you can still do it without it just a long list of stuff you will have to produce.

It’s worth getting the PSC anyway though I’ve actually been surprised about how often it’s been handy for proof of ppsn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Why is it that my truck entitlements don’t expire til 2045 on my UK licence then?

It is the same with the old Irish paper licence I got 10 years rather than 5 with the introduction of the card licence, When I was a transport manager I maid all our drivers who were on EU licences exchange them for Irish ones.
    The only way of knowing if their driving on legit licence and we found two bogey licence, Look at the DVLA website and it has a section regarding the medical for truck and bus drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

BigAl81 wrote: »

The UK's Department for Transport has issued advice to motorists.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0222/1032152-brexit-drivers-licences/

They can’t do that though unless they are resident in RoI. And if they did have an address they’d still need to go through due process.

It is the same with the old Irish paper licence I got 10 years rather than 5 with the introduction of the card licence, When I was a transport manager I maid all our drivers who were on EU licences exchange them for Irish ones.
    The only way of knowing if their driving on legit licence and we found two bogey licence, Look at the DVLA website and it has a section regarding the medical for truck and bus drivers.

I’m on my second UK card licence

I’m on my second UK card licence

So once a person passes there test in the UK that's it no more medicals needed right up to 65 years of age,Even if they are driving trucks /bus.

So once a person passes there test in the UK that's it no more medicals needed right up to 65 years of age,Even if they are driving trucks /bus.

Tbh I’m not sure regarding those that drive them for a living but I’ve never had to have any sort of medical. I’ve C1, C1E, D1 and D1E valid from 1993 until 2045

Tbh I’m not sure regarding those that drive them for a living but I’ve never had to have any sort of medical. I’ve C1, C1E, D1 and D1E valid from 1993 until 2045

Ah my Bad I thought you had C and D licence, Was it the case that people who took their driving test in a car were giving the C1 as well when they passed.

• Advertisement

They can’t do that though unless they are resident in RoI. And if they did have an address they’d still need to go through due process.

I would say the only hurdle would be a pps number, other than that what checks are there? It’s not that difficult for someone to get a ppsn once they have an address.

It’s also claimed that you can’t renew a license if you aren’t resident but I know a number of people who have done it while back visiting home on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I would say the only hurdle would be a pps number, other than that what checks are there? It’s not that difficult for someone to get a ppsn once they have an address.

It’s also claimed that you can’t renew a license if you aren’t resident but I know a number of people who have done it while back visiting home on holiday.
    Just because something can be done because someone doesn't do the proper checks doesn't make it legal. And it might be even ok at checkpoints, but I could imagine that insurance companies might see it differently if you have an accident and it turns out you were driving on a licence you are not entitled to.

mdebets wrote: »
    Just because something can be done because someone doesn't do the proper checks doesn't make it legal. And it might be even ok at checkpoints, but I could imagine that insurance companies might see it differently if you have an accident and it turns out you were driving on a licence you are not entitled to.

Even if they found out (which they woundnt) why would they care about some technicalities on residency. They don’t even care if you are driving on expired licenses etc despite some people thinking otherwise.

mdebets wrote: »
    ... insurance companies might see it differently if you have an accident and it turns out you were driving on a licence you are not entitled to.
    What determines which licence you are driving on if you hold two? I can't see it being a problem with insurance companies.

This thing of holding two licences cannot be done,For example a person with a EU or non EU licence which is accepted here in Ireland.
    If they exchange the licence to an Irish one they have to surrender their home country one while this happens the licence authority here will get in contact with the country of issuing Authorithy to verify the licence details.
    As for being a residence here in order to renew the licence, That cannot be policed I know lads working abroad who still have their Irish licence.
    All you need is an Irish address your old Licence etc.

...If they exchange the licence to an Irish one they have to surrender their home country one while....
    I'm referring to a scenario where a person doesn't exchange their licence but starts at the beginning in the second country - learner permit, test etc and obtains a licence for that country also (as my brother has done).

I'm referring to a scenario where a person doesn't exchange their licence but starts at the beginning in the second country - learner permit, test etc and obtains a licence for that country also (as my brother has done).

Absolutely nothing wrong with going through the process again from start and obtaining another driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

nothing wrong as you say, but bear in mind (in the UK at least) it's an offense not to have your current address on your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Isambard wrote: »
    nothing wrong as you say, but bear in mind (in the UK at least) it's an offense not to have your current address on your license.
    I assume this means that if a UK licence-holder who has been living in Ireland for many years then drives while on holiday in the UK they could be in trouble if stopped by police (even before Brexit)? Anyone reading been in this situation?

Also, if the licence is exchanged for an Irish one, and in the process is sent back to the UK DVLA, I assume they (the DVLA) don't start asking questions about when the holder left the UK address on the document?

• Advertisement

I don't see a problem with either the DVLA or NDLS in questioning someone habitual residence, One thing though regarding the insurance companies is if you declare a full Irish licence and involved in a tip and you have a UK or euro one they might try and get out of paying out.

Advertisement