Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK licence after Brexit

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MotoTourist

Duckjob wrote: »
    MrsD swapped her licence around November 2020 and wasn't asked for one.

The eye sight test was not required for swapping a uk license for Irish before 1st Jan 21.

Post Brexit it became a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MotoTourist

I'm happy to report that I got an email today saying my application was successful and being processed.

No requirement for DVLA check code or eye test as they received my application before Jan 1st.

They say to allow 3 weeks for delivery, so roll on April and I can go buy a hooptie!

I had a face to face appointment 5th Jan 21 to swap my uk license and the Irish one arrived in about 12 days iirc.

I had to provide either an eye test for car only, or a medical report if for trucks too. I chose the latter. The doctor didn't check my eyesight, I simply confirmed I don't need glasses.

An eye test would have shown up any deficiency in vision but I inadvertently avoided that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Just received a text that my licence has been dispatched and should be with me in a few days. I applied at the end of February. l wasn't asked for a DVLA check code, which surprised me. 2 months is still far to long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Duzzie wrote: »
    Just received a text that my licence has been dispatched and should be with me in a few days. I applied at the end of February. l wasn't asked for a DVLA check code, which surprised me. 2 months is still far to long though.

Mine was done in a week or less.

Went to centre and handed documents over, piece of cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Mine was done in a week or less.

Went to centre and handed documents over, piece of cake.
    I did the same, took all my documents to my local NDLS office. They had told me that it could take up to 6 weeks but it took longer for some reason. I was never asked for any additional information so they had all that they needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭crinkley

trying to get my NI licence transferred before the end of the year, specsavers require me to have another eye test, my last one was less than a year ago, in order to sign the form. Did anyone manage to get it signed without the need for a test? Or go to their Drs? I could understand if I was saying that I didn't need glasses and this needs confirmed but openly admitting to wearing glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Why do they make things so complicated. My partner holds a UK licence and while on holiday in Croatia to hire a car, was requested to have an International Driving Licence/Permit, I think the licence was issued in Girbraltar! So I hired the car using my Irish Licence (I also had an IDP from a US Trip, which I kinda waved at them).

Dunno if this is post-brexit which they seemed to indicate it was, since i know a UK Licence from the North was accepted by a guy we met there!

I think it is cutting off your nose to spite your face for EU countries not to fully acknowledge UK driving licences, or make it more hassle for them to hire cars etc. since they would just lose business.

Advertisement