Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK licence after Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

hi5 wrote: »
    But the NDLS will have sent my UK licence back to DVLA.
    And I have a feeling that it will be a lot longer than 2/3 months as DVLA will be flooded with UK licences for transfer from all over Europe.
    What a mess.

I don't think they take your UK licence off you at the time of application, I'd say it's more when your licence is issued. I can't imagine them leaving people without a licence for 2 months or longer. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Did it a few weeks ago.

1. Yep they keep your UK licence

2. I should have had 1 point on a ghost licence. None there

3. Took about 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't think they take your UK licence off you at the time of application, I'd say it's more when your licence is issued. I can't imagine them leaving people without a licence for 2 months or longer. Could be wrong though.

They do take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Blisterman wrote: »
    For UK Residents in Ireland, will a UK licence along with international driving permit issued by the UK, allow me to keep driving when I'm in Ireland?
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Hmm. Will an IDP, issued by the Irish authortity to a holder of a UK license resident in Ireland, cover driving in Ireland. That now, is a question for the NDLS, being the relevant competent authority, if I ever heard one! :D
    If you're an Irish resident, no. IDP is for visitors only I believe.

International Driving Permit is only a translation of you licence, nothing more. You only need it going to a country (Like Japan or Russia) where the authorities may have trouble deciphering your actual licence. It's not in any way a solution to the matter at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

phutyle wrote: »
    International Driving Permit is only a translation of you licence, nothing more. You only need it going to a country (Like Japan or Russia) where the authorities may have trouble deciphering your actual licence. It's not in any way a solution to the matter at hand.

Yes, that would be my thinking on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I should clarify.

I live in the UK, but do most of my driving when I'm in ireland, which is frequently.
    I have a UK licence, and to cover eventualities, got an International Drivers Permit from the UK driving licence authorities.

I've never held any Irish licence, and as a non-resident in Ireland I believe I'm not entitled to one anyway.

My question is whether I will still be able to drive in Ireland in the case of a no-deal brexit?

I should clarify.

I live in the UK, but do most of my driving when I'm in ireland, which is frequently.
    I have a UK licence, and to cover eventualities, got an International Drivers Permit from the UK driving licence authorities.

I've never held any Irish licence, and as a non-resident in Ireland I believe I'm not entitled to one anyway.

My question is whether I will still be able to drive in Ireland in the case of a no-deal brexit?

Yes. The above only affects residents. Your UK licence will be seen as an international licence, similar to a US licence etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I should clarify.

Yes. Your situation describes half the population of Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yes. The above only affects residents. Your UK licence will be seen as an international licence, similar to a US licence etc.

Thanks.
    My concern now, is what will happen if I want to move back to Ireland in the future. I know Americans have to retake a driving test.

Is there any way you can exchange your licence if you're not resident in Ireland?

Thanks.
    My concern now, is what will happen if I want to move back to Ireland in the future. I know Americans have to retake a driving test.

Is there any way you can exchange your licence if you're not resident in Ireland?

It's all here:

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#holders-of-driving-licences-from-other-countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Here is the official information for UK drivers domiciled in UK. So you can continue to drive in Ireland without restrictions but need to exchange if you are resident here.

Here is a well written article about the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks.
    At the moment that's uncertain.

It's most likely that the UK licence will be added to the special list along with Switzerland and Australia, that will allow you to drive here for up to a year before you have to swap it. But that hasn't been done yet, and probably won't be done before Brexit.

So if you were to move here in April, chances are you'll have to start from scratch in order to comply with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Thanks.

Welcome to a No deal/ Crash out Brexit, nobody has any idea what will happen because no arrangements have been made.
    The UK will be like a brand new country, it will have to apply for everything to every other country all over again.
    In the mean time I expect a lot of common sense will have to prevail otherwise things will just collapse in a heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

I'm going to France in May for a weekend where I have a rental car booked, will they accept a receipt from the NDLS?

Car rental companies request to see the driving licence, I fell foul to this when I switched from Paper Licence to card licence they would not take receipt as proof

I'm going to France in May for a weekend where I have a rental car booked, will they accept a receipt from the NDLS?

I wouldn't imagine so, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Welcome to a No deal/ Crash out Brexit, nobody has any idea what will happen because no arrangements have been made.
    The UK will be like a brand new country, it will have to apply for everything to every other country all over again.
    In the mean time I expect a lot of common sense will have to prevail otherwise things will just collapse in a heap.

It's a death by a thousand stings scenario but it will all work out in the end after hard work. There is a good discussion going on at the forum I linked earlier and many folk are writing off the summer 2019 as a lost case and will start to plan European driving holidays for the future summers instead. There are many questions about validity of car insurance policies for example if the UK crashes out.

But if you're UK permit holder living in Ireland definitely get the ball rolling to exchange your licence before the B-day to avoid future complications.

Thanks.

It completely depends what happens with negotiations between Ireland and the UK. There could be an agreement put in place, similar to some provinces in Canada, and Australia, where you can do a direct exchange, or else it could be a case that you have to start from scratch and do driving lessons and sit the test.

The joys of the Brexit disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Printed the form out and have an appointment booked for the 12th March.

Never use any other categories except for B, so not really bothered about losing them.

Do you need a PSC to speed this up? Only photo ID I have is my (UK) passport. UK Drivers licence is the really old A4 paper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

maybe hold off then in the hope that its all bluster and the politicians will come to their senses as a no deal Brexit is a disaster for eveyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I’m in the same boat. Here 18 years, still on my UK licence and also an ADI. In theory, on the 29th March my ability to work as a driving instructor would end.

My local MEP is Mairead McGuinness. She’s vice-president of the European Parliament. I contacted her regarding this recently and she said she’ll ask the Commission.

My understanding is this until I hear otherwise:
    I’ve various categories including C1, D1 etc etc. these don’t expire until 2045. If I exchange it for an Irish licence i have to get a medical every 5 years to keep the categories active rather than the 10 years that currently exist.

Its an EU directive regarding the 5 years on the truck & bus license regardless of what country you reside in, As for swapping licenses with other countries or people from EU countries coming to work here.
    It has always been the case that a driver may use their foreign license up to 12 months before having to exchange it to an Irish one, Although there was something in the legislation regarding UK issued licenses that were exempt from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

For UK Residents in Ireland, will a UK licence along with international driving permit issued by the UK, allow me to keep driving when I'm in Ireland?

As I understand it, no.

You will need to exchange if a no deal Brexit as things stand.

Isambard wrote: »
    as I understand it, if you get points but have a foreign license, they are allocated to a virtual license and are added to your Irish license should you ever get one.

Points are applied to an Irish "driving record" and expire after the usual period. They have to be declared to Insurance etc. but only in Ireland. This changed a few years ago.

I'm not sure what happens with the previous "ghost licence" process.

pawdee wrote: »
    I don't know if this is in the right place but here's my question anyway.......

I've been driving on a UK license here in the ROI for the last 21 years or so. When I moved back from the UK in 1998 I went to my local Motor Tax office with form filled and cheque written ready to exchange for an Irish license. The lady in the office told me I'd be mad to change as my UK license is valid until I'm 70. So off I went and motored away since.

I presume that once the UK leave the EU my license is no longer valid? Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance!

Is the address on your GB license still current, i.e. can you receive post there?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

What’s to stop anyone holding a Uk licence and resident in Ireland doing the irish test and getting an irish licence while holding on to the UK one? Having both would suit me as I travel between both countries and may switch resident status between both countries over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

portcrap wrote: »
    What’s to stop anyone holding a Uk licence and resident in Ireland doing the irish test and getting an irish licence while holding on to the UK one? Having both would suit me as I travel between both countries and may switch resident status between both countries over the next few years.

Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

seamus wrote: »
    At the moment that's uncertain.

It's most likely that the UK licence will be added to the special list along with Switzerland and Australia, that will allow you to drive here for up to a year before you have to swap it. But that hasn't been done yet, and probably won't be done before Brexit.

So if you were to move here in April, chances are you'll have to start from scratch in order to comply with the law.

Surely the year aspect is not related to the swappability of the licence, it is related to your establishing your residence here. UK licences will simply be recognised, as they were long before Swiss ones ever were. This will be the least complex thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Points are applied to an Irish "driving record" and expire after the usual period. They have to be declared to Insurance etc. but only in Ireland. This changed a few years ago.

I'm not sure what happens with the previous "ghost licence" process.

They create a virtual Irish licence for non Irish licence holders. As its a virtual licence the points are associated with it but can't be applied as the licence isn't valid. So in theory they should be added to your Irish licence when you transfer regardless of how long ago you committed the offence but in practice it appears that they just disappear when you change to an Irish licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I’m in the same boat. Here 18 years, still on my UK licence and also an ADI. In theory, on the 29th March my ability to work as a driving instructor would end.

My local MEP is Mairead McGuinness. She’s vice-president of the European Parliament. I contacted her regarding this recently and she said she’ll ask the Commission.

My understanding is this until I hear otherwise:
    I’ve various categories including C1, D1 etc etc. these don’t expire until 2045. If I exchange it for an Irish licence i have to get a medical every 5 years to keep the categories active rather than the 10 years that currently exist.

If your c1/d1 was automatically added to your licence like mine was (I got full Licence in 1993) then you can’t transfer them unless you take a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Del2005 wrote: »
    They create a virtual Irish licence for non Irish licence holders. As its a virtual licence the points are associated with it but can't be applied as the licence isn't valid. So in theory they should be added to your Irish licence when you transfer regardless of how long ago you committed the offence but in practice it appears that they just disappear when you change to an Irish licence

I got a letter 3 years after getting points saying that they’d expired and were gone from my record.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

portcrap wrote: »

They’d be starting from scratch. Theory Test, 12 EDT lessons and N plates thereafter

Advertisement