Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Awayyablaggard

Hi SandHillRoad,

I noticed from one of your earlier threads that you mentioned Frank Sheehy. Is this Frank Sheehy the teacher and GAA man you are referring to? If it is, could you let me know any information/stories/anecdotes etc. that you may have on him as I am currently starting some family research. Frank Sheehy was my paternal grandfather and, whilst I never had the pleasure of knowing him due to his dying before my arrival, my family has quite a number of photos, stories etc. that I would ideally like to add to. My own father died about 15 years ago so I'm doing my best at the moment to keep and get as much information together as possible.

Sadly I have only been to Listowel twice: once for the opening of the Frank Sheehy football park (when I was about 16) and the second for the fleadh cheoil (I was too drunk to remember that much about the place!).

Look forward to hearing from you or others that may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Hi Sandhillroad, yes, Willow Close is probably only 3 years old or thereabouts. There are an extra few house foundations gone in everytime I visit. If you're heading towards Tarbet and turn left at the old library building it's halfways up on the right, on the way to John B. Keane road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Hi SandHillRoad,

I noticed from one of your earlier threads that you mentioned Frank Sheehy. Is this Frank Sheehy the teacher and GAA man you are referring to? If it is, could you let me know any information/stories/anecdotes etc. that you may have on him as I am currently starting some family research. Frank Sheehy was my paternal grandfather and, whilst I never had the pleasure of knowing him due to his dying before my arrival, my family has quite a number of photos, stories etc. that I would ideally like to add to. My own father died about 15 years ago so I'm doing my best at the moment to keep and get as much information together as possible.

Sadly I have only been to Listowel twice: once for the opening of the Frank Sheehy football park (when I was about 16) and the second for the fleadh cheoil (I was too drunk to remember that much about the place!).

Hello,
    Which of Frank Sheehy's sons was your father ? L or J ? Sorry to hear of his passing( I am sure I knew him, knew one more than the other)- been so far away here in America we do not hear of all the deaths of Listowel people, except if they still lived in Listowel.Any relations still in LURGEN ?
    There are lots of past pupils out there of your grandfathers, so I hope they can contribute.
    you can reply if you wish to sheehyantiques@msn.com (no relation !) or continue here on the thread.

reic wrote:
    Hi Sandhillroad, yes, Willow Close is probably only 3 years old or thereabouts. There are an extra few house foundations gone in everytime I visit. If you're heading towards Tarbet and turn left at the old library building it's halfways up on the right, on the way to John B. Keane road.
    I used to take a short cut to Charles streed up by the side of the Library.
    On the second floor of the Library was where we first went to school and the next year we went across the road to the National School.
    Many the time I helped out Mrs. Sweeney at the library down stairs.
    You are a hop a skip and a jump from where my aunt and uncle lived
    The old church tower opposite the library was one of my 'hide outs'.
    I went to Scoil Realta na Maidine down the street and to St. Michaels up the road from the Graveyard.
    SNOWSCORPION put up a photo,within the past couple of threads, which is of the area 'the top of Church St' ( John R Walshes and Dillon's).

Sometimes I forget am I in the BALLYBUNION FORUM or the LISTOWEL FORUM !!
    Good luck .

LOL, whenever I'm in Listowel I take a walk past the tower, through the graveyard and around the park. The person I stayed with in Willow Close has now moved rural and moved into a house a few miles away near Duagh(?). I can't remember the townland name, begins with "T" but it's out in the "sticks"!

• Advertisement

reic wrote:
    LOL, whenever I'm in Listowel I take a walk past the tower, through the graveyard and around the park. The person I stayed with in Willow Close has now moved rural and moved into a house a few miles away near Duagh(?). I can't remember the townland name, begins with "T" but it's out in the "sticks"!
    I probably can't spell it but may the place near DUAGH is called TRIENERAGH ? My father owned a farm out there- it is out in the sticks but we spent many a happy summer holiday out there, cutting turf and saving hay. Over here in the USA instead of hay stacks the hay is rolled up like a gateaux cake.You probably pass my brother on his walks. The 'Park' was known as "The Cows' Lawn". Do they still have the tennis club there? I remember the Garden of Europe from my last visit in 1999.My town here is smaller than Listowel or Ballybunion, I hope you get the chance go to Ballybunion, drive down to the CASHEN (beyond the Golf Club), Great place to relax and read. Also Doon Rd ( SNOWSCORPIONS habitat) . Great view from up there looking over the town.Continue on to Asdee to visit "the Jesse James Pub",

Hi SandHillRoad,

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

POST ALSO IN THE BALLYBUNION FORUM OF ANYONE WHO WAS A PUPIL OF FRANK SHEEHY AT LISTOWEL NATIONAL SCHOOL.
    ==================================

THE ATTACHED PHOTO IS OF A BUILDING YOUR DAD (RIP) AND GRANDFATHER (RIP) SAW WHEN THEY WALKED OUT THEIR FRONT DOOR.

reic wrote:
    REIC,
    I am going to work on it ,but how do you embed a photo in your reply to a thread ( like you did of your black and white photos of ballybunionet ) Instead of always having the photo as an attachment
    Let me work on it for a while and see what I can come upwith

Hi SandhillRoad,

My father was Jack. Couldn't tell you where Leo is as nobody has heard from him in about 20 years or so. Unfortunately, Jack never was too good at keeping in touch with family and, as a result, my sisters and I never really knew that much about that side of the family...other than what my mother kept us informed about. When we all went to the opening of the Frank Sheehy park (about 24-25 years ago now I think) I met Frank's sister, Maureen and her daughters. After that, I only ever met them once again. I do recall that they lived in Northern Ireland but couldn't say exactly where.

Jack died about 15 years ago in Buncrana, Co. Donegal (where I used to live).

Thanks for the information regarding the BallyBunion forum - I'll try and get some information from there too.

Hi SandhillRoad,

My father was Jack. Couldn't tell you where Leo is as nobody has heard from him in about 20 years or so. Unfortunately, Jack never was too good at keeping in touch with family and, as a result, my sisters and I never really knew that much about that side of the family...other than what my mother kept us informed about. When we all went to the opening of the Frank Sheehy park (about 24-25 years ago now I think) I met Frank's sister, Maureen and her daughters. After that, I only ever met them once again. I do recall that they lived in Northern Ireland but couldn't say exactly where.

Jack died about 15 years ago in Buncrana, Co. Donegal (where I used to live).

Thanks for the information regarding the BallyBunion forum - I'll try and get some information from there too.
    Hello AWAY,
    Jack was the eldest. I did not know him, just of him.I spent my youth at the top of Church Street Listowel.3 doors from your Grandparents. Frank had another sister EILLY who had a shop there ( 105 Church St ?).It is interesting you Lived in Buncrana, as that is where Franks wife SUZY BARR( spelling?)came from. She was a tall beautiful woman.
    Frank's sister Maureen( a wonderful smile with rosy cheeks) lived in LURGAN . Maureen came to Church street every couple of years with her daughters ( not sure if there were any boys and I don't remember her husband visiting ). I think the eldest was Mary or Ann and maybe there was an Eilleen. McConville was Maureen's married name. She was good friends of my mothers and Aunt as children as they all lived close by each other. I have a photo of them( the McConvilles on one of their visits), but am not sure if it should be included in this forum. email sheehyantiques@msn.com and I can send to you---otherwise I will put as attachment here and deleate it as soon as you download it ---let me know ??).
    I shall ask my elder brothers for their memories of Frank.
    I know of 2 men in Listowel who I think are headmasters ,and shold be contacted,in Listowel National School ; John McAuliffe and Cathal Sandy.
    I have a brother near Dublin who meets with a couple of Listowel buddys now and then and they all were taught by Frank Sheehy and my eldest brother (USA) keeps in touch via email with his classmates)
    You should also visit Listowel during Writers Week or Listowel Races when a lot of Listowel people return for their visits to the home town.They would greet you with open arms. I also know someone who still lives across the road from Frank's home
    Try contacting KERRYSEYE (a newspaper and also on the net) WWW.KERRYSEYE.COM ( there is a section on Listowel : "FEEL OF THE FEALE" ( Listowel is on the River Feale). They would mention your search on info on Frank Sheehy. Is your mother still alive ?Will check back soon.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

I was taught by Frank [ Sheehy] in 5th. Class at Scoil Realte na Maidne in Listowel.
    I was at his Memorial Service at ProCathedral, Dublin in ~ 1963. Eilly Sheehy, his sister, had a sweet-shop 3 doors/houses from NanNan ( my gradndmother.)
    He had a nickname by ' the boys ' which I will later tell you.
    He was principal of the Upper Classes when Bryan MacMahon was principal of the younger classes.
    A contemporary of his ( Dick F. my teacher in 3rd. class) is still in Listowel.
    Best regards.
    Mairtin MacSithigh

SandHillRoad,

Thanks for the quick reply. The information you provided was very useful & I will hopefull use that as part of my initial research. I will certainly use the KERRYEYE link you provided.
    I only knew of Eileen in the sketchiest of terms; having met Maureen, I knew of her very smiley face and kind way.
    We lived in Buncrana for many years and lived in my grandmothers (Suzy Barr) parental home.

I will hopefully get in touch with those you hacve mentioned too but would welcome any other information from your brother and/or his friends. With regard to the photograph you mention, I will email you privately - thanks.

My mother is still very much alive thank God. She's from Buncrana in Donegal which would explain the continued connection and our history there.

AnBealBocht, thank you too for your contribution. Like above, it too will hopefully be used as a starting point for my research. All comments/contact are much appreciated - thanks again

Hello AWAYYABLAGGARD:

Glad to get the ball rolling ! This world is smaller on account of the computer. Smaller than you think.
    Glad to hear your mother is still with you . On a very very happy note :I know your mother and your Grandmother Meta o'L. !
    It has been over 30 years since I last saw or spoke to them.

Mention "HETTI MARTINI" to your mother ( Gloria ?). My very best regards to her.Fond memories of them both.Such a strange way to meet once again

sheehyantiques@msn.com for the photo of Maureen Sheehy's girls.

I probably can't spell it but may the place near DUAGH is called TRIENERAGH ? My father owned a farm out there- it is out in the sticks but we spent many a happy summer holiday out there, cutting turf and saving hay. Over here in the USA instead of hay stacks the hay is rolled up like a gateaux cake.You probably pass my brother on his walks. The 'Park' was known as "The Cows' Lawn". Do they still have the tennis club there? I remember the Garden of Europe from my last visit in 1999.My town here is smaller than Listowel or Ballybunion, I hope you get the chance go to Ballybunion, drive down to the CASHEN (beyond the Golf Club), Great place to relax and read. Also Doon Rd ( SNOWSCORPIONS habitat) . Great view from up there looking over the town.Continue on to Asdee to visit "the Jesse James Pub",

Yes! TRIENERAGH is the name of the place, thanks for that and I haven't been to Doon Rd in Ballybunion, will do so next time I'm there (a month or so) and take some pics of the view. Must also do a series of pics of streets in Listowel, cheers.

You probably know now how to embed pics, same way as Snow Scorpion said. Just click on the yellow button at the top of the reply page (insert image) and paste the URL of the picture there. I always use the "preview post" button, next to the reply button, just to make sure the picture posts ok.

REIC,
    I am working on the photo angle real hard !
    thanks for the info.
    Happy trails from Cork to Listowel.

So what's up in Listowel these days
    Listowel in the 1950s and 1960s ?
    Let's hear about "Lovely Listowel".
    The Plaza
    The Aster
    Walshes Ballroom
    McKennas Corner
    Scully's Corner
    Leahys's Corner
    PRINCE MONOLULU
    SIVE
    Swimming in the Feale
    Climb to the top of the Castle
    Etc.

Maybe some long lost Listowel friend will log on here.
    Thanks.

So what's up in Listowel these days

Hello CHAINREACTION :

Thanks for this thread.

sandhillroad

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember that Frank , maybe Suzy too, spent some time in Saudi Arabia.

If I also remember the Sheehy Grave is right inside the entrance gates ( on the right side) to the old graveyard at the top of Church St in Listowel.
    Did Jack ever mention a woman AISHA ( she was from India)? She worked for Eilly Sheehy in the house as well as helping in the store.

Hello again SandHillRoad,

You're a mine of information!

You're also correct that the world is now VERY small - I never envisaged this conversation that's for sure!!

Meta is still doing well, although she is now 94 years old! My mother is Hilary, and my aunt is Gloria. I will certainly mention "HETTI MARTINI" to both of them but have to say that I am intrigued!!

Jack did mention Aisha (I recall him saying she was Turkish) and, if memory serves me correct, I met her when I went to Listowel some 24/5 years ago although she was quite ill at the time.

Frank & Suzy went to Africa in the early 1960's as Frank secured a teaching post there I understand.

I visited Frank's grave when I was there but am grateful for your directions as I am not so sure I could find it that easily without. I'm hoping to be there at Easter as I want to take my family there. My kids have been home a few times but never to Kerry - I'm hoping to have a wee holiday and do some research whilst there!

My mum is now frantic trying to work out who you are as you obviously know her and her family (you have her at a distinct advantage!) so she has asked that I email you! She'll check with Gloria about HETTI MARTINI as she doesn't recall the name herself.

:confused: Don't remember the maid.

The Square I remember well. One time when I was a kid we all went Listowel and parked the car there in the square.

My brother and I eventually wandered back with our supply of candy and comic books - Beano, Beezer, Cor!, there were a bunch of them that all looked kinda the same.

Anyway, my uncle shows up and the three of us wait in the car for my mother and grandmother to come wandering back (maybe from Crowley's! :D ) and while we're waiting a tinker shows up looking for money, and my uncle says in a thick Kerry brogue, "Go 'way, ya hoor ya!"

It took me ten minutes to figure out what a "hoor" was. smiley_devilsmile.gif
    Hi Snowscorpion,
    I think they must do some work on BOARDS.IE at approx 2-3Am ( Eire time)-it gets very sluggish.
    See attached photo of Main Street listowel circa 1950s 1960s

• Advertisement

reic wrote:

Yes! TRIENERAGH is the name of the place, thanks for that and I haven't been to Doon Rd in Ballybunion, will do so next time I'm there (a month or so) and take some pics of the view. Must also do a series of pics of streets in Listowel, cheers.

You probably know now how to embed pics, same way as Snow Scorpion said. Just click on the yellow button at the top of the reply page (insert image) and paste the URL of the picture there. I always use the "preview post" button, next to the reply button, just to make sure the picture posts ok.
    Hello Reic .
    TREINERAGH may be in the sticks, but look at the countryside !
    I took this in 1983.
    For a great view of Listowel from BALLYGRENNN.
    Go down the Bridge Rd and instead of turning right ( for Tralee) go straight thru and up Ballygrennan hill.
    cheers.

I must try that view of Listowel, always go that route back to Cork but as far as I remember there's no easy place to stop a car there without blocking half the road? Will look more carefully in a few weeks, going to an 18th birthday party in Trieneragh!

REIC,
    this was our old farm in Trieneragh.
    Sold in the 1960s.
    Owners not interested in the house, just the land.
    This is how it was in 1983.
    It's a shame!
    Great photo of Ballybunion.Thanks a lot.

Would the new owners have been O'Keefe's by any chance?

reic wrote:
    Would the new owners have been O'Keefe's by any chance?
    Hi REIC,
    no. It could have been TRANT but I am not sure after 39 years!
    There were O'Keefes who lived close by.
    Jack Barry and wife lived close by and also Tommy Sheehy.
    I THINK one of them the O'KEEFEs (Eilleen?) lived up the country somwhere.
    The 'old-timers' would know.
    I think we rented the farmhouse to COLLINS family at one time. The 52 acres were rented to some farmer.

There's a family of O'Keefes in the area, for a long, long time. Have a big farm with a few horses still (as well as the usual farm animals). The road cut's through their land and thay have a tunnel under the road for bringing the animals from one side to the other. The Smearla river runs through their land as well. My friend, who's just finishing building a house there, bought the land from them.

REIC,
    Listowel view , maybe from Ballygrennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reademandweep

MissT wrote:
    Hey,
    Just saw the 'listowel thread' am actually looking for info on a guy from listowel, screwed a friend of mine over recently, wont get into details yet, but its a pretty interesting story!. Dont want to give his full details out. HIs name is Eddie, he is a physio in Cork- if you have any info let me know!
    Why would anyone bother ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reademandweep

Hi,
    I sent a private message to you some days ago with details on who should be able to give you "chapter and verse" on Frank Sheehy.........it looks like you havn't read it ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I found this in one of my many, many, many :o folders.

I have no idea where I found it ... or when.

But the caption I put on it way back when says, "Isn't this Listowel?"

So, is it?

isntthislistowel4az.jpg

Advertisement