Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

It certainly looks very like it. Next time I'm there, in the near future, I'll take a photo from the same spot.

Very nice drawing BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

reic wrote:
    Very nice drawing BTW.

It is, isn't it?

I'm always planning to teach myself to draw one of these days. (I've been planning to learn to draw for almost 20 years now.) And I thought this would be a nice, easy picture to start with. It's almost all straight lines in two-point persepective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

I found this in one of my many, many, many :o folders.

I have no idea where I found it ... or when.

But the caption I put on it way back when says, "Isn't this Listowel?"

So, is it?

isntthislistowel4az.jpg
    Nice piece of work ! (Artist has a Gallery in Main Street)
    The location is the intersection of William Street and Market Street.
    On the left is Jack McKennas LTD
    John B Keanes's is the dark red house along the group of buildings.
    also along that row on the right(out of view) is where you(or was it ALFA ?) remember the Tourist Info.

Jack McKennas is now a clothes shop selling "hip" clothes for men who are younger than me!

• Advertisement

Also, if you walk pass McKennas in the direction of Tarbert there is a woman's lingerie shop with rather naughty items in the window! My God, what's happened Listowel, lol.

reic wrote:
    Also, if you walk pass McKennas in the direction of Tarbert there is a woman's lingerie shop with rather naughty items in the window! My God, what's happened Listowel, lol.[/QUOT
    Hello REIC.
    There are stores over here like those ( naughty items), they are called "Victorias Secret", they are all over the place.
    Bet you the naughty items" sell like hotcakes" and can be found worn in Abbyfeale, Knocknagoshal and Duagh !
    Back in the 1970s there was edible underwear !!!!
    It brings to mind the old song:
    " In olden days a glimse of stocking
    was looked upon as something shocking ,
    but now God knows,
    anything goes"
    ( Cole Porter ?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

ok....obscure crazy question here....

But who knows the Kennelly's??

ok....obscure crazy question here....

But who knows the Kennelly's??
    A few Kennelly's in Listowel.

Did they live in the town itself or out in the country?

Some lived in Main Street, others in Market Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

Actually referring to Tadhg and his family....he is playing for the Sydney Swans out here

http://www.anfearrua.com/ViewSectionDetail.asp?docid=643

• Advertisement

He and his family are well known and admired in and around Listowel. Give him our best. Must check to see if he in any photo on the Listowel Emmets web site.

Nice piece of work ! (Artist has a Gallery in Main Street)
    The location is the intersection of William Street and Market Street.
    On the left is Jack McKennas LTD
    John B Keanes's is the dark red house along the group of buildings.
    also along that row on the right(out of view) is where you(or was it ALFA ?) remember the Tourist Info.[/QUOT

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Attachesd photos of Listowel and Listowel people

Does any one have any old photos of Listowel that they could post?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

It is called "Lovely Listowel" because these are the words of the song by Bryan McMahon. This is the title of all web site which we made about six years ago and when I found this forum I registered as "Lovely writer”

It is called "Lovely Listowel" because these are the words of the song by Bryan McMahon. This is the title of all web site which we made about six years ago and when I found this forum I registered as "Lovely writer”
    " Like the week of the races in lovely Listowel"
    Did you ever hear of Prince Monolulu that used come to Lovely Listowel?
    Would you be M C ? If so, I enjoyed the pictures of Listowel buildings before and after views.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I am very slowly getting used to the idea of this forum. I am sorry for the mistake in my first letter. Because I use voice software these mistakes sometimes happen.

I have heard of the Prince but I do not know any more about it. The photographs that are on our website "Lovely Listowel" are put there by my wife Mary.

I am very slowly getting used to the idea of this forum. I am sorry for the mistake in my first letter. Because I use voice software these mistakes sometimes happen.

I have heard of the Prince but I do not know any more about it. The photographs that are on our website "Lovely Listowel" are put there by my wife Mary.
    During the Listowel Races ,some years past,Prince Monolulu ,who was African ,used to parade around the town in full colorful African robes, ostrich feathers. His phrase was " I've got a horse", We ,as children, were intrigued with him in all his pomp and circumstance and trailed him all over the town.Maybe in reality he was from Brixton or Paddington !
    Thanks to Mary for the photos. They bring back memories of the town I love so well.
    Hope some of St. Michaels former pupils, I am one myself, will find this forum and respond.
    Also some of Listowel National School former pupils who remember Master Frank Sheehy and reply to an earlier thread in this Listowel forum by the author AWAYYABLAGGARD.
    I checked out the Listowel Emmets website and was glad to see a photo of one of my brothers when he played for the Ashes ( photo #52).
    I Just GOOGLED Prince Monolulu, we had a star within our midst!
    Regards.

I knew I had more Irish pictures around.

I got a new computer last February, but when I tried to use the "File Transfer Wizard," the Wizard said it would take 25 hours to move all the stuff from the old computer.

So I got a jump drive and moved the files that way. I thought I moved everything. But where were the other Irish pictures? Turns out I left a couple folders (and sub-folders) in the old computer. :o

I'll sort through the pics and post whatever I think will be of interest to you guys in the Ballybunion and Listowel threads.

listowelmapresized5po.jpg

Snowscorpion;
    Thanks for this map , as it lets you know the 'backways' and short cuts of Listowel:
    Behind Church Street. William Street and Tae Lane. Also the road from the Castle to the Race Course Bridge on to The Island.
    You can see where the Market is ( or was), that is also where Birds Amusements etc were during the Listowel Races.
    Did you check out the website wher A90Six had his photos ? Good photos of Listowel as well there.
    Reic must be 'on the road'. Where is ALFA ??.

Snowscorpion;
    Where is ALFA ??.

Frustrating, isn't it?

He said at the start of the Ballybunion thread he's a cop in Tralee (used to be stationed in Ballybunion) and he likes driving his new car.

I checked his public profile once to send him an email, but he checked some box blocking any email from boards.ie.

I suppose he's busy and he's forgotten about us. :( But I figure sooner or later he'll remember us and come wandering back to see how things are going here. All we can do is wait.

As far as A90's pics go, the Knockanore pics and the Francis Road knocked me for such a loop I forgot about the other pics. I'm going to go look at them now while I listen to David Letterman.

• Advertisement

Now who is CHAINREACTION ?????????? ????

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Snowscorpion;
    Thanks for this map , as it lets you know the 'backways' and short cuts of Listowel:
    Behind Church Street. William Street and Tae Lane. Also the road from the Castle to the Race Course Bridge on to The Island.
    You can see where the Market is ( or was), that is also where Birds Amusements etc were during the Listowel Races.
    Did you check out the website wher A90Six had his photos ? Good photos of Listowel as well there.
    Reic must be 'on the road'. Where is ALFA ??.

Hi all
    I'm new to this. Who is A90six and may I see his photos too.

reic wrote:
    Jack McKennas is now a clothes shop selling "hip" clothes for men who are younger than me!
    You have confused Mc Kenna's with Scully's Scully's is now a clothes shop Infidel. McKenna's is still a hardware shop:)

Hello Cherry Tree,
    The map of Listowel is a few threads back in this Forum, in SNOWSCORPION notes.

Do not know who A90six is, but go back a few threads and click on the website he mentions in his notes.

If you are in Listowel, hope all is well after Holloween.
    know of the Scully's
    I am in USA.

Hi all
    I'm new to this. Who is A90six and may I see his photos too.
    CherrtyTree;
    go to the BALLYBUNION Forum for A90Six photos !!! Click on * BALLYBUNION PHOTOS* in the last reply #154

I forget which Forum I am in at times.
    Slan

CherrtyTree;
    go to the BALLYBUNION Forum for A90Six photos !!! Click on * BALLYBUNION PHOTOS* in the last reply #154

I forget which Forum I am in at times.

Slan
    Glad you sorted that out. i have beenup and down and in and out of this thread and no A90Six. At least I'm learning my way about her. I'm off now to Ballyb.
    Hope the search is worth it.
    Thanks

Lovely photographs, particularly the castle.
    All well here after halloween

You have confused Mc Kenna's with Scully's Scully's is now a clothes shop Infidel. McKenna's is still a hardware shop:)

Well, I am from Cork loike.......

REIC: All is forgiven. So now I guess the "naughty clothes shop" is in Church Street. Hope ye are having as good day weatherwise as us here in New York State. An Indian Summer. Wish I was in Ballyb for the afternoon.

• Advertisement

I am particularly interested in old and not so old photographs of Listowel and in hearing old stories of Listowel folk. although I'm a blow-in I have grown to love this place and its people.

Advertisement