Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Jezz, I'm spoilt here with the quad, they are slow enough here the min, I certainly don't need to drive aggressively or anything, but you can cover the ground so much faster with the quad and zigzag across the whole field herding them towards the gap alot faster, once they are on the lane way I usually go up ahead of them, put the clusters on the 1st row, then bring in the few stragglers. The thoughts of spending a full hour bringing them in, think I'd just go OAD in that case ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭cosatron

we never have any issues getting the cows. I suppose its one of the benefits of 12 hour grass allocation. they definitely drop a gear from july on but that's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The worst aspect of a rotary is washing the thing, used to always dread the end of milking and facing into stopping down and up for 15 minutes and folding down the trays and cupping up 50 plus sets of clusters

ah when i have last cluster attached to cow... i just switch from attaching clusters to cows to folding down trays and setting up clusters for washing as the last cows are going around... so u should be finished that side of it when last cows have exited.... we also have a deck wash(an absolute must on any rotary) so while im setting up clusters for washing the deck is also being hosed down.... we dont have much floor space around parlour (5 feet) so not alot of washing there either.... i have seen rotarys where u could drive an artic around the parlour such is the space between deck and wall of shed... looks great til u have u to go washing it...

back to ur mans parlour.... parlour imo should be back beside where the new cubicle shed is.... cows are walking past and in front of new shed and there was no mention of that having to be scraped with a tractor and scraper everyday..... more work.... ideally cows and machinery should not be crossing each other in a farmyard.... easier said than done.... but it could have been done there.... it looks like he wanted dairy near the road for milk tanker... access for the tanker wouldnt be high on my list when locating the building....

the only other thing i dont like is the race for testing by the wall... i actually cannot figure out why lads would put a chute along a wall.... and i also think chute is too long... will take ages to load cows into it.... race for testing here is in the middle of drafting area... access from both sides... holds a maximum of 5 cows.... we test as we milk... i slow down the deck to a nice speed where there will 5/6 cows will have arrived into holding area behind race just as vet has the 5 in the crush done.... works very very well.... vaccinating scanning and testing all done this way and works really well.... tried doing it all on platform like ur man plans on doing... will work ok as we used to do it but the system i described above works much much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Someone asked about milking gear a few days ago.
    This is what I use. Gloves, dry cuffs and just s standard apron with no back covered - never had much issue with getting cow ****e on my back.

If it's really warm I want wear the apron

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Depends on what position you are 're development really. If you have the land accommodation and cow's right I'd imagine it's whatever level of debt you are comfortable carrying really. Anything much beyond 24 units in a herringnone would need 2 people to stay efficient, so over 240 cows would be 10 rows, wouldn't want to go beyond that myself. That rotary could be a one man show for most of the year.
    Have a lot to do here so I'll be staying with the 14 unit for a number of years yet

Watched and fair play everything was seriously speced and alot of thought gone into it.the thing is im putting 11 rows through a 14 unit ,parlour has cost roughly 20 k over th years feeder and bin another 5 k.can get through the cows from button to button this time of year in hour and half and that includes washing.i got a great tip on here think it was buford to wash as i go rather the end so one run of the hose has the whole place washed in a few minutes.my point is alot of money spent to milk twice as many cows as me and i cant belive the amount of washing in a rotary.you have to wonder is it worth going for all these cows and messing with hired labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Someone asked about milking gear a few days ago.
    This is what I use. Gloves, dry cuffs and just s standard apron with no back covered - never had much issue with getting cow ****e on my back.

If it's really warm I want wear the apron
    The s/s splashback looks a nice job is it easy to keep clean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

K.G. wrote: »
    Watched and fair play everything was seriously speced and alot of thought gone into it.the thing is im putting 11 rows through a 14 unit ,parlour has cost roughly 20 k over th years feeder and bin another 5 k.can get through the cows from button to button this time of year in hour and half and that includes washing.i got a great tip on here think it was buford to wash as i go rather the end so one run of the hose has the whole place washed in a few minutes.my point is alot of money spent to milk twice as many cows as me and i cant belive the amount of washing in a rotary.you have to wonder is it worth going for all these cows and messing with hired labour

Same as a lot of things, if done right it may be worth it. For arguments sake if 1 person can manage 100 cows 2 managing 200 cows may be done in a more sustainable way in hours per person or workload. Obviously lots of variables. A case of maximising what's available to you and deciding after that if you want to, or can, go any further.
    I find it's being caught between the two stools is awkward. Taking on labour can reduce ability to invest in facilities while at the same time not having it can put too much pressure on as well.

So much for 2 dryish days. 9 acres of damp silage it is then. Been good so far in terms of getting grass off bar the second cut going late so can't complain too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Mooooo wrote: »
    So much for 2 dryish days. 9 acres of damp silage it is then. Been good so far in terms of getting grass off bar the second cut going late so can't complain too much

Going to knock some paddocks this morning and bale late this evening, fed up waiting for a dry spell and need paddocks back in for cows.

Took a few fields to make hay from a neighbour, more as a favour, a few weeks ago. Fed up looking at weather app waiting for a clear run at it, haven't made hay here since I was in my teens, starting to render why.
    Luckily neighbour's in no rush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Baling here atm. I'm starting to wonder where I'm going to put the bloody things at this stage.

Better to be looking at it than for it I suppose:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Baling here atm. I'm starting to wonder where I'm going to put the bloody things at this stage.

Better have it..

Tisnt this winter the year after our Grand Solar Minimum and the one when we record temperatures of minus 30 degrees. :)
    Off to draw straw myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Better have it..

Tisnt this winter the year after our Grand Solar Minimum and the one when we record temperatures of minus 30 degrees. :)
    Off to draw straw myself.

Wtf

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wtf

It's not that early for straw.

It's not that early for straw.

Not the straw. The coming of the second ice age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭straight

Not the straw. The coming of the second ice age

Green party will sort that out. No need to worry

• Advertisement

I'd say you'd want to lash on another row of cows to eat all that grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »

Don't mention the war!:D

Reaching storage limits here atm so little scope for more unless I go about covering the overground tank. And might have to cut back a bit if the Nitrates limits go above the 90kgs.

Good idea ;)
    200 surplus bales made to date

Good idea ;)
    200 surplus bales made to date

How many McHale bales would that be. 150? I drove a baler for summers before and lads used to love pointing out the slopey bales to me. Just saying like.

Heading for 400 of the fcukers here. Prob more to make but may take a bit for reseeding yet

• Advertisement

How many McHale bales would that be. 150? I drove a baler for summers before and lads used to love pointing out the slopey bales to me. Just saying like.

100 from a McHale baler and 100 from our own Krone. No weight difference between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Credit to McHale's pr men for making Ireland believe their bales are so much bigger than any other baler.:D

Bought Fusion bales last spring and still got 14 on a trailer and they were no heavier than bales made by ourselves. Fantastic baler and with 170hp + in front are bound to make great solid bales but so can most balers younger than old RP12s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Gillespy wrote: »
    Credit to McHale's pr men for making Ireland believe their bales are so much bigger than any other baler.:D

Bought Fusion bales last spring and still got 14 on a trailer and they were no heavier than bales made by ourselves. Fantastic baler and with 170hp + in front are bound to make great solid bales but so can most balers younger than old RP12s

Contractor specific to aswell, the baler man isn’t going to have the pressure up to the max on the chamber if he can get away with it

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Contractor specific to aswell, the baler man isn’t going to have the pressure up to the max on the chamber if he can get away with it

Our guy does now tbf. 230 horse valtra up front and bales well packed. They weigh 850 kg and our own weigh 820/830 kg.
    Some lads say they can get a tonne in a bale but I've never had one

Our guy does now tbf. 230 horse valtra up front and bales well packed. They weigh 850 kg and our own weigh 820/830 kg.
    Some lads say they can get a tonne in a bale but I've never had one

1000kg in a bale would be madness

Says the contractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

May be confusing them with maize bales ....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Did herd test today. See some with bottom lumps this eve. Is this normal r should I b worried about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Did herd test today. See some with bottom lumps this eve. Is this normal r should I b worried about it

Dont even look for lumps. You'll drive yourself mad

whelan2 wrote: »
    Dont even look for lumps. You'll drive yourself mad

She caught my eye coming in this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    She caught my eye coming in this evening

could b a reaction to the needle or to being injected rather than what she was injected with.... had she a lump in that area b4 test??

could b a reaction to the needle or to being injected rather than what she was injected with.... had she a lump in that area b4 test??

Couldn’t be certain but it def on inj site

They were only tested today, plenty of time for a top lump to show up

Bottom lumps are fine. Top lumps are panic stations

They were only tested today, plenty of time for a top lump to show up

Fecking hope so. U b sh**ing it

cosatron wrote: »
    Bottom lumps are fine. Top lumps are panic stations

Top lumps are avian tb, bottom lumps are panic stations around here

Top lumps are avian tb, bottom lumps are panic stations around here

I better check it out with boss in the morning. You could be right. I thought it was top lumps

I better check it out with boss in the morning. You could be right. I thought it was top lumps

The vet can change which is which at their discretion.

As long as they do the whole herd that way and know what they're doing of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Can't see the attraction in pumping out nitrogen to create a surplus that has to be baled.
    Anyone could see the way growth rates are going the last few weeks and adjust accordingly, skip every second field or shut the spreader down to 12-14 units and a lot of money and hassle would be spared at what should be one of the cushiest times of year for a dairy farmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Can't see the attraction in pumping out nitrogen to create a surplus that has to be baled.
    Anyone could see the way growth rates are going the last few weeks and adjust accordingly, skip every second field or shut the spreader down to 12-14 units and a lot of money and hassle would be spared at what should be one of the cushiest times of year for a dairy farmer.
    Cows have to be fed on ****ty days from October on ,u can never have enough good feed in yard .been spreading 20 units behind cows since April and last 2.5 weeks back to 17!ish grass still growing strong but of my rotation was 25 days plus farm would go hungry v quick

Why not the whole hog?
    Conditions are perfect for biology and biological organic inputs.

20200728-220450.jpg

20200728-221006.jpg

The vet can change which is which at their discretion.

As long as they do the whole herd that way and know what they're doing of course.

Never heard of that tbh. Was always the same on any farm I was on in the UK and here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Never heard of that tbh. Was always the same on any farm I was on in the UK and here
    +1
    I would have thought that there are strict rules to ensure conformity.

Our vet won't tell you which is which and swaps it to suit himself.

Maybe it's just him.
    Reasoning is with him if people knew which was which it leaves it open to tampering with.

Our vet won't tell you which is which and swaps it to suit himself.

Maybe it's just him.
    Reasoning is with him if people knew which was which it leaves it open to tampering with.

What happens if the department come out to inspect at reading?

• Advertisement

What happens if the department come out to inspect at reading?

I presume he tells them which is which?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Have seen both in Ireland and UK in resent times were vet has put the injections the wrong way round by mistake he would make a note of these animals . Had a cow with a big bottom lump at test 3 weeks ago ended up she had avain In that lump and a note had been on the system so passed the test no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Lumps on the top...ok. bottom lumps...not ok!!
    Up for heaven down for hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote:

Doubt any chamber would be able for 1000 kg bales . 800-850 kg seems to be the run of it

Says the contractor

Try moving that sort of weight on the front of a tractor constantly and you'll some harm being done

• Advertisement
Advertisement