Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Sorry not sure where to put this.........do you have to pay for parking when you are using a public charging point?

Depends entirely on the local council, everywhere is different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Cheers, boss was in dublin and left the car charging and went off............€80 fine for not paying for parking!!

I presume you pay by the day and not the hour when you need to charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Cheers, boss was in dublin and left the car charging and went off............€80 fine for not paying for parking!!

[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Parking and Electric Vehicles[/font]
    [font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]While charging an electric vehicle in a Pay and Display Space or EV Charging Space in a Pay and Display location, payment must be made for parking during hours of operation indicated.[/font]

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/parking-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't own an EV, but I thought EV owners frown upon drivers taking up an EV charging spot for much longer than the car needs to charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

josip wrote: »
    I don't own an EV, but I thought EV owners frown upon drivers taking up an EV charging spot for much longer than the car needs to charge?

More of an issue with a rapid charger. Those are the ones that tend to be vital for people driving a long distance etc.

At a standard charger people are likely to be charging for hours so you wouldn't generally expect someone to be back bang on the end of the charge.

That said I still think that spending 10 hours on a charger at a train station is a stupid use of the resource.

• Advertisement

Like above, only really when it's DC Charging. 
    AC Charging I would only get annoyed when someone parks at an EV Spot but doesn't even bother to plug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That said I still think that spending 10 hours on a charger at a train station is a stupid use of the resource.

How else could a train station charge point be used though? You dont, generally, take a train to somewhere and get back in an hour or two? Its usually a workday activity.

What train stations should have is not one 22kW charge point. They should have a long bank of 3.6kW charge points.

KCross wrote: »
    DrPhilG wrote: »

How else could a train station charge point be used though? You dont, generally, take a train to somewhere and get back in an hour or two? Its usually a workday activity.

What train stations should have is not one 22kW charge point. They should have a long bank of 3.6kW charge points.
    Completely agree. most cars can't even charge at 22kw AC anyways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, what a lot of train stations actually have are 7kW chargers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

JPA wrote: »
    does anyone know if the esb charger in clifden is currently working? I saw some chat that it was out of service but the app was not reporting that it was. However that is old information.

According to cpinfo.ie both outputs were in use today. It seems to have started communicating on the 11th of July and one and both sides have been used since. There is another charger in clifden too at abbeyglen hotel, see plugshare app but no reports recent, may be for customers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ELM327 wrote: »
    You have to remember that F1 cars are not optimized to be quick in a straight line, they are optimized to be quick around corners (hence the downforce)

Remove all the wings and you'd have a seriously quick car

Yes F1 cars are highly restricted for straight line performance, but still not bad even with restrictions

0-300 in 10

Full tank of fuel, running in eco mode :)

V10 monsters back in the day ran low 8's

Schumacher 2003 V10 was supposdely clocked at 9.3 secs in the wet vs fighter jet

On the Lotus it's Formula E tech, williams enginering supplying battery tech

Some battery too

800kW charge rate from a 70kWh pack

21c disscharge rate ( 1500kW/70kWh )

Battery can emptied in less than 3 minutes flat out driving

Nothing new, Veyron can go through a full tank in 9 mins

How else could a train station charge point be used though?

That was my point. Putting a 22kw charger at a train station is a waste of a resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Yes F1 cars are highly restricted for straight line performance, but still not bad even with restrictions

0-300 in 10

Full tank of fuel, running in eco mode :)

V10 monsters back in the day ran low 8's

Schumacher 2003 V10 was supposdely clocked at 9.3 secs in the wet vs fighter jet

On the Lotus it's Formula E tech, williams enginering supplying battery tech

Some battery too

800kW charge rate from a 70kWh pack

21c disscharge rate ( 1500kW/70kWh )

Battery can emptied in less than 3 minutes flat out driving

Nothing new, Veyron can go through a full tank in 9 mins

I'm that special kind of nerd that watches classic F1 full races on sky sports f1, just to hear the v10 air splitting noise or the screaming v8 noise just before the ecomentalists ruined a great sport.

I'm excited by formula E, and if you watch F1 for decades you'll see that it is the pinnacle for sports car development and sometimes the innovation helps road cars years down the line. Hopefully FE does the same for EVs

I've been lucky enough to get to 2 grand prixs, Estoril in 1995 and Australia in 1999.
    The one thing that didn't come across on F1 TV coverage, was the absolute assault on your eardrums from the banshee wail of those V12s and V10s.

I don't know what the V8s and V6s sound like trackside.
    No matter how fast and technologically advanced Formula E gets, it's sensory perception to a spectator is 50% less than that of Formula 1.
    Which is a massive problem for the interest levels in the sport.

zg3409 wrote: »
    does anyone know if the esb charger in clifden is currently working? I saw some chat that it was out of service but the app was not reporting that it was. However that is old information.

According to cpinfo.ie both outputs were in use today. It seems to have started communicating on the 11th of July and one and both sides have been used since. There is another charger in clifden too at abbeyglen hotel, see plugshare app but no reports recent, may be for customers
    DSC06547.JPG
    The Charging station at abbeyglen hotel looks like a dodgy place to hang out after dark :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

redcup342 wrote: »
    zg3409 wrote: »

DSC06547.JPG
    The Charging station at abbeyglen hotel looks like a dodgy place to hang out after dark :o

The good news is this hotel has a large backup generator, and a parrot

I've been lucky enough to get to 2 grand prixs, Estoril in 1995 and Australia in 1999.
    The one thing that didn't come across on F1 TV coverage, was the absolute assault on your eardrums from the banshee wail of those V12s and V10s.

I don't know what the V8s and V6s sound like trackside.
    No matter how fast and technologically advanced Formula E gets, it's sensory perception to a spectator is 50% less than that of Formula 1.
    Which is a massive problem for the interest levels in the sport.

V8s were fantastic, could hear them from miles away. At LeMans the Diesel hybrids were great because of the kinda "rush" they produced but the V8s and occasional V10 were much more fun.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone have any clue about this charger at Turners Cross in Cork?
    https://goo.gl/maps/R5kTybFymLPMssSU8

I've tried to contact EC Charging, or E-stations or anyone about it, but got zero replies.

There's a NFC area to tap a fob or card against, but at least the ESB card does nothing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anyone have any clue about this charger at Turners Cross in Cork?
    https://goo.gl/maps/R5kTybFymLPMssSU8

I've tried to contact EC Charging, or E-stations or anyone about it, but got zero replies.

There's a NFC area to tap a fob or card against, but at least the ESB card does nothing to it.

They seem to be in place for over 1.5 years now and no one knows who owns them or how to get them started. Its a mystery! :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105696119

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Won't be so quick to turn of the VESS anymore: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/boy-who-was-knocked-down-by-electric-car-he-did-not-hear-coming-settles-case-for-55000-937868.html

Mind you I wouldn't generally be careless enough to drive into a 5 year old while pulling out of a parking spot.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Compo culture strikes again

High Court. I wonder what were the legal costs for this case.

he boy also suffered a laceration to his head when the car door hit him.

Sounds like a comedic sketch. Knocked them down, then swings the door open when getting out of the car.

I actually missed that bit :D

All I can think of is this bit from hotshots now:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

New double charger opened on the A55, its about 90km from Holyhead. 50kW and will charge at 125A instead of the useless Electric Highway ones which max out at 31kW with the Ioniq.

I'll be using it on Sunday on my way back to Dublin.

https://twitter.com/engenieUK/status/1152178775716704257?s=09

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Actually that’s a question I had, anyone use a charger in the uk? How do they work? I presume you have to pay for them.
    Very handy to have a few on the A55, i’d imagine they will be busy with cars heading to the port!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There are a few options on the A55, Electric Highway with their old DBT chargers, they max out at 31kW for the Ioniq.
    Engenie have contactless payment on their chargers, they've only just installed the charger at the Talardy hotel. They charge 36p/kWh but will be free for the next two weeks.

I also used a charger in Sheffield, there's was activated by a website. Tbh it's a bit of a mess at the moment, the government have asked operators to use contactless payment by next year, and have threatened legislation if companys don't,

Any else ever spot an EV on a road close to a charger and think, the race is on! :D

Chargers as rare enough, and when one is on route there's typically only ever 1 fast charger. Seems like if I spot another EV on a motorway there's a high possibility they'll be pulling into the next fast charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Funny that you say that. I was on the M11 the other day and passed a Leaf going Leafspeed. Shortly after, he passed me and headed up the road, turning in to the Gorey MSA.

I didn't need a charge, so he had his little panic for no reason. :D

Advertisement