Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caroline Flack found dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I see the incels have acquired a new target.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

0127647 wrote: »
    She's now whinging about being followed by the Pap yet turns up at the Brit awards in a newspaper dress happily posing for the paps.
    She

She's spent plenty of time lauding how hard her boyfriend has had it.

Flacks Family hasn't gotten a mention on her twitter

She is as bad as the tabloid press imho. Zero dignity.

Yeah saying she wanted privacy in a fookin airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Tork

Or maybe she's trying to save herself from the slavering social media mob? Even though she didn't do anything wrong with taking the presenting job (I bet CF would've done the same if the roles had been reversed), she knows it wouldn't take much for them to turn on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FullMoonFever

If you court the media to promote your brand and post your every move to social media don't play the victim when someone takes your photo in a public place.

Boggles wrote: »
    I see the incels have acquired a new target.

incel?

I take that as an attempted insult.

#Bekind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Had a quick look at Laura Whitmore’s Instagram there, and my god, could feel my brain cells dying by the second. Like Caroline, almost every single picture is just of her, dolled up to the nines, looking like she’s spent two hours getting her hair and makeup done.

Maybe the photographer guy went too far by getting pictures of her and boyfriend during what was presumably an emotional reunion, but how does she not have the self-awareness to see the parallels between the endless vacuous ****e she churns out, and the endless vacuous ****e that’s printed in the tabloids. It’s all just fodder for clicks and advertising space, and anyone who has ever read an article on the Daily Mail has some level of culpability, I include myself in that.

I actually looked at her Instagram because I was maybe going to defend her, but she has chosen to make her livelihood dependent on people gobbling up her own brand of crap. I’m sure that photographer thinks the same about his job.

Shelga wrote: »
    Like Caroline, almost every single picture is just of her, dolled up to the nines, looking like she’s spent two hours getting her hair and makeup done.

Isn't that basically literally everyone's instagram feed?

As in they put up the best of themselves.

You have hardly stumbled on a revelation now have you?

Isn't that basically literally everyone's instagram feed?

As in they put up the best of themselves.

You have hardly stumbled on a revelation now have you?

I’m not used to quite that level of vanity, no. It’s kind of nauseating. I don’t follow people I know, and I don’t follow people who just put up pictures of themselves. I follow people I find interesting, who have something to say about the world.

I’m not used to quite that level of vanity, no. It’s kind of nauseating.

But you are at least aware that's what people do, put up the best of themselves.

It's basically an extension of people putting up framed pictures.

You don't put up the picture of that time you threatened to kill the kids because you couldn't hear the match. :)
    I don’t follow people I know, and I don’t follow people who just put up pictures of themselves. I follow people I find interesting, who have something to say about the world.

Like who?

Like who?

Anyone from chefs, politicians, authors I like, TV shows I like, comedians, local cafes, all the usual funny memes, singers, sportspeople. I don’t mean to sound like some self-righteous plonker, but Instagram doesn’t have to be for following endless lines of airheads flogging weight loss teas and advertising Boohoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m not used to quite that level of vanity, no. It’s kind of nauseating. I don’t follow people I know, and I don’t follow people who just put up pictures of themselves. I follow people I find interesting, who have something to say about the world.

Yeah, I rarely put up selfies where I look my prettiest. If I’m posting a selfie, generally I’m gurning or joking or with a loved one. Putting up photos of just myself being all posey, I just find weird. And yeah, I don’t follow people who do that either.

Yeah, I rarely put up selfies where I look my prettiest. If I’m posting a selfie, generally I’m gurning or joking or with a loved one. Putting up photos of just myself being all posey, I just find weird. And yeah, I don’t follow people who do that either.

It's just cringey beyond belief to me when someone's entire life is putting up photos of themselves looking pretty. I think, are you not embarrassed putting that up! I never post anything myself, I have a slightly weird thing about privacy these days. Again, I happily scroll mindlessly, I'm hardly saying I'm above Instagram. Sure I'm posting on boards right now! :pac: Hate having pictures of myself online though.

It's hard not to relate the levels of narcissism displayed by Caroline Flack in her Instagram and media appearances with a deterioration in her mental health. If your entire life is your image and how you look, it follows on that in your mind, the publicity about your assault is the most massive thing ever.

I can only imagine the stress she endured, it truly must have been horrific. But for most people it was something they might have chatted about for 20 seconds on their break at work- no one died, she didn't kill anyone- people and the media would have moved on within a year or two. And like others have said, the public love a comeback.

It's extremely sad that she felt the only solution was something so devastatingly permanent. I suppose it's been on my mind this week, like many others, because of the questions it raises about social media, self-promotion and their impact on mental health.

It's just cringey beyond belief to me when someone's entire life is putting up photos of themselves looking pretty. I think, are you not embarrassed putting that up!

This is the crazy thing, they post these selfies for the attention and for the press coverage. More followers equates to more free merchandise and more money.

Now it seems these influencers want to have their cake and eat it.

They want to post their lives to Instagram but God forbid anyone should post a comment or write an article that is in any way critical of their public posting. If you do then you are labelled a troll and a bully.

It's all so vapid and soulless.

It's all so vapid and soulless.

Vapid and soulless is exactly what it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Some of the celebs are posting some of the comments they're getting. Ashley Banjo retweeted one the other day that said 'You tw*t'

Thats beyond saying something critical.

Even on this forum there are rules about what you can and cannot say and some of them were inplementedin this thread.

I dont think any celebrity is obliged to put up with sh*t like that, regardless of the contents of their social media (unless their social media is name calling in itself obviously).

Some of the celebs are posting some of the comments they're getting. Ashley Banjo retweeted one the other day that said 'You tw*t'

Even on this forum there are rules about what you can and cannot say and some of them were inplementedin this thread.

I dont think any celebrity is obliged to put up with sh*t like that, regardless of the contents of their social media (unless their social media is name calling in itself obviously).

Nobody is saying anyone should have to put up with personal insults or name calling.

But there is a massive hypocrisy in people equating criticism to trolling or requesting privacy one moment and courting the media the next.

Without the tabloids a lot of these influencers wouldn't have careers.

Nobody is saying anyone should have to put up with personal insults or name calling.

But there is a massive hypocrisy in people equating criticism to trolling or requesting privacy one moment and courting the media the next.

Without the tabloids a lot of these influencers wouldn't have careers.

I think a lot of them accept that criticism is part and parcel of the job. You couldn'tbe in the public eye and think you'll avoid it.

Its the trolling and the intrusion they have a problem with.

Tabloids have been at it for decades. The problem is as long as their pages get clicked and their papers are purchased, nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Some of the celebs are posting some of the comments they're getting. Ashley Banjo retweeted one the other day that said 'You tw*t'.

and then the inevitable twitter pile on... its the circle,

the circle of life

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Do celebrities think they’re the only people who get trolled? There are assholes in all walks of life unfortunately. No one is immune.

the circle of life

Some of them are biting back now though.

• Advertisement

Anyone from chefs, politicians, authors I like, TV shows I like, comedians, local cafes, all the usual funny memes, singers, sportspeople. I don’t mean to sound like some self-righteous plonker, but Instagram doesn’t have to be for following endless lines of airheads flogging weight loss teas and advertising Boohoo.

Yip, most if not all of them are doing exactly what Whitmore is doing.

Flogging their wares on social media. It's advertising. Pure and simple.

A consideration for some football clubs before signing a player now is how much of a presence does a player have on social media, bigger presence equals more $$$.

Absolutely no difference between an "airhead" flogging jeans or the likes of Pogba flogging jerseys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Even Simon Harris was jumping on the bandwagon having rightly been criticised for being a poor health minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

the circle of life

It’s just redirecting the hate. Now everyone has found out who the twitter twat guy is and are abusing him.

Why would you even be offended by some sad randomer calling you a twat anyway. Just block them and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The irony. Whitmore and her fella telling a person not to photograph them while videoing them. Iv seen this done before by celebs or an indication to followers to harass and abuse as they know to well the follower will locate the person in question on all platforms and harass them. "Two wrongs don't make a right" but in many cases like this an exception ism ane because of the celeb is the "victim", so on and so forth. This was one photographer, not several. This is part of the life she chose. . . . Candice Brown in the comments with the thoughts and prayers.

https://twitter.com/thewhitmore/status/1230473611733016578

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Even Simon Harris was jumping on the bandwagon having rightly been criticised for being a poor health minister.

Well, there's a level of engagement thats acceptable. Like I say, there are even rules here determining how you should interact with each other. There's criticism and then there's clear abuse.

Im sure plenty of FG candidates got ear bashings on the campaign trail. Im sure they accepted that. But there's a level below that that is childish and unnecessary. And shouldn't be acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm finding LW's behaviour quite bizarre since. It's a weird kind of bubble these celebrities seem to live in that they don't see the irony. She could have quietly not made a big deal about it instead of posting it on twitter.

Basically opening up the pap to attacks from the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

WTF has Simon Harris got to do with this thread??

You're touched man.

Take it to the politics forum seriously..

I'm finding LW's behaviour quite bizarre since. It's a weird kind of bubble these celebrities seem to live in that they don't see the irony. She could have quietly not made a big deal about it instead of posting it on twitter.

LW sees this whole thing as an opportunity to lead some sort of #metoo type movement against the press.

The lack of self awareness is comical.

This is a woman who quotes her own inspirational quotes FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The irony. Whitmore and her fella telling a person not to photograph them while videoing them. Iv seen this done before by celebs or an indication to followers to harass and abuse as they know to well the follower will locate the person in question on all platforms and harass them. "Two wrongs don't make a right" but in many cases like this an exception ism ane because of the celeb is the "victim", so on and so forth. This was one photographer, not several. This is part of the life she chose. . . . Candice Brown in the comments with the thoughts and prayers.

https://twitter.com/thewhitmore/status/1230473611733016578

Yeah like it must have been day one of school, two wrongs don't make a right. Treat someone as you'd like to be treated.

Whitmore and o dowd (retweeted with a message) missed those days I guess. Sad they can't put down the twitter machine for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

I'm not Laura Whitmore's biggest fan, she and her followers live in a different universe to me, but maybe she's acting 'bizarre' because her friend just died.

Advertisement