Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caroline Flack found dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Mwengwe wrote: »
    I'm not Laura Whitmore's biggest fan, she and her followers live in a different universe to me, but maybe she's acting 'bizarre' because her friend just died.

Yeah it's a tough time for her. And it's very sad what happened.

Hopefully her and the others take a long look at their relationship with the media/social media. It's bizarre situation of a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭santana75

Shelga wrote: »
    Had a quick look at Laura Whitmore’s Instagram there, and my god, could feel my brain cells dying by the second. Like Caroline, almost every single picture is just of her, dolled up to the nines, looking like she’s spent two hours getting her hair and makeup done.

Made the mistake of looking at her Instagram myself after reading comments on here. Literally every single picture is of herself posing. There is a level of attention seeking and narcissism going on there that can't be healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭0127647

LWs initial statement was an absolute disgrace giving minimal respect to Flacks family and instead using it to defend Love Island which is absolute trash/garbage television. Not even a basic condolence on her twitter feed just one big ego trip

She is continuing to drag up issues with the tabloids/paps on twitter she herself is only to happy to use when it suits her. O'Dowd is as bad. Zero condolences to her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Without SM Whitmore would be nothing. This puts her (and Love Island) back front and centre. As much as she "cries" over it now it wont be long until some gossipy mag has "Caroline and me - Laura Whitmore story" to pull in more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

pjohnson wrote: »
    Without SM Whitmore would be nothing.

I'm only vaguely aware her because she is Irish.

But looking at her CV, she is most certainly a high achiever who has excelled at everything she has done, from radio, presenting, acting, business and her charity work.

She got her degree in journalism built on it and has an estimated net worth of €14m.

So no, I imagine if we switched off all the data centres in the world that hosted social media, she would continue to be a high achiever because that's exactly what she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Some of the celebs are posting some of the comments they're getting. Ashley Banjo retweeted one the other day that said 'You tw*t'

Thats beyond saying something critical.

Even on this forum there are rules about what you can and cannot say and some of them were inplementedin this thread.

I dont think any celebrity is obliged to put up with sh*t like that, regardless of the contents of their social media (unless their social media is name calling in itself obviously).

They could just put their Twitter and IG on private, lots of folks are doing that now on IG and I've noticed a few on Twitter as well.

Then they can control who they let follow them.

Or would it be that people like the guy you mentioned (I never heard of him) want to get as many followers as possible to make themsleves more well known?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

They could just put their Twitter and IG on private, lots of folks are doing that now on IG and I've noticed a few on Twitter as well.

Then they can control who they let follow them.

Or would it be that people like tha guy you mentioned (I never heard of him) want to get as many followers as possible to make themsleves more well known?

I dont know why he hasnt got it on private. Youd have to ask him. I'd guess its for promotional purposes to make himself more well known.

Does that mean someone can call him a twat? He comes across as a nice enough fella, who's done well for himself. Maybe that annoys people. Maybe people can't handle others doing well and want to bring them down a peg or two.

Is asking those on the receiving end to change their actions the solution? Shouldn't those dishing out the name calling be the ones to change their actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I dont know why he hasnt got it on private. Youd have to ask him. I'd guess its for promotional purposes to make himself more well known.

Does that mean someone can call him a twat? He comes across as a nice enough fella, who's done well for himself. Maybe that annoys people. Maybe people can't handle others doing well and want to bring them down a peg or two.

Is asking those on the receiving end to change their actions the solution? Shouldn't those dishing out the name calling be the ones to change their actions?

There's always going to be trolls, that will never change and i think we both know that.

Going private is a small thing that is easily done to stop given them a platform to dish out abuse so it's baffling why more of them don't do it.

There's always going to be trolls, that will never change and i think we both know that.

Going private is a small thing that is easily done to stop given them a platform to dish out abuse so it's baffling why more of them don't do it.

No, I hear ya. Trolls will always exist and always be out to wind people up. They say dont feed them, but thats clearly not working.

Maybe they should go private. I read yesterday that apparently one lady was a contestant on The Chase and ITV advised her to shut down all her social media because people can be cruel!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm only vaguely aware her because she is Irish.

But looking at her CV, she is most certainly a high achiever who has excelled at everything she has done, from radio, presenting, acting, business and her charity work.

She got her degree in journalism built on it and has an estimated net worth of €14m.

So no, I imagine if we switched off all the data centres in the world that hosted social media, she would continue to be a high achiever because that's exactly what she is.

Without SM do you think there would be a Love Island to even present?

• Advertisement

Big brother worked well without social media. Would love island not be on a par with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Tork

Love Island didn't do nearly so well in its first run back in the pre-social media days.

I have never seen a second of Love Island.

But "reality" TV predates social media, and that show goes out on terrestrial TV, so I don't see how it's existence hinges on Social Media or any "reality" tv as it thrived before it.

But that isn't the point I pulled you up on. You claimed she would be nothing without Social Media.

That is at best grossly unfair. At worst just bitter nonsense directed at a successful Irish female who didn't come through the nepotism of RTE, built her career off her own back and has been very successful of every facet of it.

Unless I am missing something?

Like I said I am only vaguely familiar with her because I have seen her interviewed on Irish TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why did she go to the Brits on Tuesday? I’m sure she would say “Caroline would have wanted me to put my best foot forward” but if a good friend of mine had died, there’s no way in hell I’d feel like getting dressed up to go to a party.

She wanted to go, she wanted the promotion, so she went. Wish everyone would start being a bit more honest about how they benefit themselves from this sick culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FullMoonFever

Boggles wrote: »
    At worst just bitter nonsense directed at a successful Irish female

I see what you did there.

Why did she go to the Brits on Tuesday? I’m sure she would say “Caroline would have wanted me to put my best foot forward” but if a good friend of mine had died, there’s no way in hell I’d feel like getting dressed up to go to a party.

She wanted to go, she wanted the promotion, so she went. Wish everyone would start being a bit more honest about how they benefit themselves from this sick culture.

When these celebs pose on the red carpet who are they posing for?

That's right, the tabloids and gossip mags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

What's this love Island thing?

Is it a place where washed-up/minor celebs shag each other, so bored housewives can gossip about it over coffee?

And this Flack woman, would she have been considered a minor celeb? (You know the type, famous for being famous type thing? No real discernible talent to speak of etc?)

I'm just a bit surprised how active this thread is, considering I'd never heard of this person before she kicked the bucket... was she an important social figure for people? A role model? Did she leave behind a great legacy? What kind of mark did she make in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

She was probably obliged to go as part of her presenting contract? It's as much an awards show as a music show with a massive audience. Deaths of close friends, while they are exceptionally sad, don't even get the likes of you or I a day off regular work.

She was probably obliged to go as part of her presenting contract? It's as much an awards show as a music show with a massive audience. Deaths of close friends, while they are exceptionally sad, don't even get the likes of you or I a day off regular work.

So if she had said “I can’t face it, I’m too sad” the big bad bullies at ITV would have forced her to go? Why would she want to work for such people?
    If my friend died, yeah I’m pretty sure my workplace would understand me not wanting to go to some networking event.

If your friend was having personal and emotional problems would you post a video like this to social media celebrating how you benefitted from taking their job?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7864665/Laura-Whitmore-dances-delight-finishing-day-filming-Love-Islands-new-host.html

• Advertisement

So if she had said “I can’t face it, I’m too sad” the big bad bullies at ITV would have forced her to go? Why would she want to work for such people?
    If my friend died, yeah I’m pretty sure my workplace would understand me not wanting to go to some networking event.

Why only Whitmore though? A lot of people in that room counted Flack as a friend. So none of them should have gone?

Why only Whitmore though? A lot of people in that room counted Flack as a friend. So none of them should have gone?

Why would any close friends WANT to go? To stand and pose on a red carpet and fake smile?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What's this love Island thing?

Is it a place where washed-up/minor celebs shag each other, so bored housewives can gossip about it over coffee?

And this Flack woman, would she have been considered a minor celeb? (You know the type, famous for being famous type thing? No real discernible talent to speak of etc?)

I'm just a bit surprised how active this thread is, considering I'd never heard of this person before she kicked the bucket... was she an important social figure for people? A role model? Did she leave behind a great legacy? What kind of mark did she make in the world?

She had a 20yr career as a presenter of many popular tv & radio shows, that's what she was famous for.
    She presented Gladiators, Big Brother, I'm a Celeb, The X Factor, among others, as well as 5 seasons of Love Island, which was probably her biggest success.
    She was also on Strictly Come Dancing, which she won with her dancing partner.

The thread is so long because there are many polarising incidents surrounding her suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

If your friend was having personal and emotional problems would you post a video like this to social media celebrating how you benefitted from taking their job?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7864665/Laura-Whitmore-dances-delight-finishing-day-filming-Love-Islands-new-host.html

She had Flack's blessing and encouragement by all accounts.

Why would any close friends WANT to go? To stand and pose on a red carpet and fake smile?

I dont know. But I certainly wouldnt hold it against them

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

I still remember getting reamed by my manager for taking a sick day to go to my friend's funeral. Should have just said i was sick.
    Really one of those moments when you realise where you stand in a capitalist society. But that's slightly off-topic.

I dont know. But I certainly wouldnt hold it against them

It’s just an odd thing to do when you then give out about being photographed two days later, when it doesn’t suit you. It’s too uncomfortable to ask the real questions about how we’re all complicit in this culture, so Whitmore and others don’t do it.

It’s just an odd thing to do when you then give out about being photographed two days later, when it doesn’t suit you. It’s too uncomfortable to ask the real questions about how we’re all complicit in this culture, so Whitmore and others don’t do it.

Yeah, those honest Paps are just trying to do their job.

Are you on a wum?

"At the airport a photographer took pictures of us both and we tried to ignore it but he continued to follow us as we got coffee and left the building.

"So I asked him would he stop as he had what he wanted. I said we were mourning a friend and could he allow us space.

"He said 'can you give me a reaction. It's a public space and I can take pictures if I want'."

^^ thats her version of events. He had photographed them and they tried to ignore him, but then he started following them.

She went on to say

"I have never courted the paparazzi but understand at work events it comes with the territory. But this morning was too much."

So its not that it simply didnt suit her. She wanted some privacy on reuniting with her boyfriend. She tried ignoring him, but he started following them.

That's a bit much, no?

• Advertisement

Is she somehow more virtuous because she “doesn’t court the paparazzi” but puts hundreds of self-portraits on her Instagram, knowing there’s a high chance the Daily Mail and other rags will take those photos and make stories out of them?

What’s the difference?

Advertisement