Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caroline Flack found dead

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

if you don't like what you read online, don't go online.
    This has got ridiculous now, the media or simple keyboard warriors didn't call round to her house,
    tie a noose around her neck and push over the staircase.
    She did it herself, just like she attacked her sleeping boyfriend.
    Sad yes, a waste of her life yes, but it was her choice to make, just like it is to use social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,792 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ShimSlady wrote: »
    Link to the story please where she got her the job?

It was in the link you responded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ShimSlady

Boggles wrote: »
    It was in the link you responded to.

Nothing in the article mentions Flack got her the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ShimSlady wrote: »
    Nothing in the article mentions Flack got her the job.
    Referencing both her friendship with Caroline and the host's efforts to get her the job, Laura said in her statement: 'To say I'm excited to be heading to Cape Town to host Love Island, the biggest show on television, is an understatement. 'We've spoken a lot in the last few days since she stepped down. She has been very kind to me and strongly pushed me for this role

but i mean it's buried half way down after loads of photos, no-one reads that far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

The irony. Whitmore and her fella telling a person not to photograph them while videoing them. Iv seen this done before by celebs or an indication to followers to harass and abuse as they know to well the follower will locate the person in question on all platforms and harass them. "Two wrongs don't make a right" but in many cases like this an exception ism ane because of the celeb is the "victim", so on and so forth. This was one photographer, not several. This is part of the life she chose. . . . Candice Brown in the comments with the thoughts and prayers.

https://twitter.com/thewhitmore/status/1230473611733016578

To be fair, that photographer was an awful asshole. Asking is it a more recent friend than Caroline that died?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m finding Stephanie Davis absolutely nauseating throughout all of this. She doesn’t even seem to have been close to Caroline, yet has taken it upon herself to be “the voice of the people”, and tackle parliament about safeguarding celebrities. I wonder has she even as much as asked Caroline’s family if this is what they want their daughter’s legacy to be.

This massive movement to safeguard celebrities, as if they are some kind of protected species. How about safeguarding normal people who also experience trolling and abuse and don’t have the access to protection that celebrities have. I’m sure the adulation and praise they receive on the daily tips the scales on any hate.

I watched Caroline’s ex Danny Ciprani speak earlier about his own struggles and amidst the wave of attention seekers he seemed genuinely distraught. I’d recommend anyone give his recent video a watch, and he doesn’t get into the blame game either like so many others.

Trolls didn’t make Caroline pick up an object and lamp it on her boyfriends head. So it stands to reason that she had many issues long before she took her own life. And regardless, her own family have asked people to stop playing the blame game and redirecting hate. It helps no one and it’s reckless and they said she wouldn’t have wanted that.

But attention seekers gotta attention seek.

Trolls didn’t make Caroline pick up an object and lamp it on her boyfriends head.

This has turned into an actual fact again, has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FullMoonFever

Do you give the same benefit of doubt to men arrested for assaulting women?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Do you give the same benefit of doubt to men arrested for assaulting women?

I actually do. Unless there was an unequivocal admission of guilt from the perpetrator or multiple witnesses that left no doubt. (Chris Brown, Ike Turner for example) When there is an argument or a situation with 2 people in a he said/she said scenario - without looking at the critical evidence as a prosecution presents it, then innocent until proven guilty.

I was on a jury for a case about 20 years ago. Rape, robbery, assault and battery. We had to convict or acquit using the evidence as presented by the prosecution. And while the evidence for robbery, assault and battery were clear, the rape accusation wasn't quite so clear. Yes, things happened. But was there actual evidence to convict for rape? No, we couldn't convict. Did he do it? Probably. Could we prove it? Not beyond reasonable doubt.

Johnny Depp is another celebrity who has been portrayed as a wife beater, and the media had him hung, drawn and quartered. The evidence at the time portrayed a very angry man, who allegedly had beaten Amber Heard and she obtained a restraining order prior to divorcing him. Now it transpires she had been hitting him, belittling him and goading him. But most of the damage is done. He lost the "pirates" franchise over it, and probably lots of endorsements and possible film jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 FullMoonFever

I actually do. Unless there was an unequivocal admission of guilt from the perpetrator or multiple witnesses that left no doubt. (Chris Brown, Ike Turner for example) When there is an argument or a situation with 2 people in a he said/she said scenario - without looking at the critical evidence as a prosecution presents it, then innocent until proven guilty.

I was on a jury for a case about 20 years ago. Rape, robbery, assault and battery. We had to convict or acquit using the evidence as presented by the prosecution. And while the evidence for robbery, assault and battery were clear, the rape accusation wasn't quite so clear. Yes, things happened. But was there actual evidence to convict for rape? No, we couldn't convict. Did he do it? Probably. Could we prove it? Not beyond reasonable doubt.

Johnny Depp is another celebrity who has been portrayed as a wife beater, and the media had him hung, drawn and quartered. The evidence at the time portrayed a very angry man, who allegedly had beaten Amber Heard and she obtained a restraining order prior to divorcing him. Now it transpires she had been hitting him, belittling him and goading him. But most of the damage is done. He lost the "pirates" franchise over it, and probably lots of endorsements and possible film jobs.

Fair enough. I too am a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty.

Unfortunately with Flack we will never know what the outcome of the trial would have been.

My question though was directed at the perpetually argumentive Boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

So much outage for such a weak person. She had time to think about all this and she still did it. Selfish.

Edit: outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Liamalone wrote: »
    So much outage for such a weak person. She had time to think about all this and she still did it. Selfish.

For your next edit please delete your post. And then your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Mwengwe wrote: »
    For your next edit please delete your post. And then your account.

Why?

Edit: who made you the master?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I’m finding Stephanie Davis absolutely nauseating throughout all of this. She doesn’t even seem to have been close to Caroline, yet has taken it upon herself to be “the voice of the people”, and tackle parliament about safeguarding celebrities. I wonder has she even as much as asked Caroline’s family if this is what they want their daughter’s legacy to be.

This massive movement to safeguard celebrities, as if they are some kind of protected species. How about safeguarding normal people who also experience trolling and abuse and don’t have the access to protection that celebrities have. I’m sure the adulation and praise they receive on the daily tips the scales on any hate.

I watched Caroline’s ex Danny Ciprani speak earlier about his own struggles and amidst the wave of attention seekers he seemed genuinely distraught. I’d recommend anyone give his recent video a watch, and he doesn’t get into the blame game either like so many others.

Trolls didn’t make Caroline pick up an object and lamp it on her boyfriends head. So it stands to reason that she had many issues long before she took her own life. And regardless, her own family have asked people to stop playing the blame game and redirecting hate. It helps no one and it’s reckless and they said she wouldn’t have wanted that.

But attention seekers gotta attention seek.

The amount of people trying to make her death about themselves or trying to somehow draw a connection between her circumstances and their own is shocking.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything really about her life, but I do feel sorry for her family as suicide really is such an awful, complicated way to lose a loved one. Families and friends often spend the rest of their lives trying to make sense of such an act and it is rarely, if ever, something that can be reduced to any single incident or issue.

Plenty of people, even people who claim to have known her, are trying to be very simplistic about her death. Suicide is anything but simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Liamalone wrote: »

Do you seriously believe that people who do this are thinking and acting rationally? If your house was on fire would you stay in it and choke to death or try to get out of it? These people are not 'weak' they're mentally frazzled and in a headspace that hopefully most of us will never access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

dd973 wrote: »
    Do you seriously believe that people who do this are thinking and acting rationally? If your house was on fire would you stay in it and choke to death or try to get out of it? These people are not 'weak' they're mentally frazzled and in a headspace that hopefully most of us will never access.

Actually, suicide can be a rational decision... we're all going to die (even if young people tend to ignore it and pretend it's not going to happen to them!:p), sometimes suicide is just someone deciding they would rather die sooner rather than later!

Obviously, most suicides are the product of unhappiness... but this doesn't necessarily mean that they are not also rational too! You can be unhappy and still be capable of making sound rational decisions.

Suicide is a taboo subject, because it involves someone rejecting/opting out of life... but actually, if you remove this taboo, suicide is just another perfectly valid life choice! It's your life, if you wish to check out early you can!

We really shouldn't treat suicide, like it's this major tragedy. This woman lived for 40 odd years... I didn't know much about her while she was alive, but she appears to have enjoyed herself in those 4 decades... what's the big tragedy? So she decided to leave early? Big deal? Perhaps she had her fun, and then life became less fun... so she checked out early! :)

she appears to have enjoyed herself in those 4 decades... what's the big tragedy? So she decided to leave early? Big deal? Perhaps she had her fun, and then life became less fun... so she checked out early! :)

life became less fun, to the point where she felt it was better to kill herself than go on living,

that's the tragedy, always

life became less fun, to the point where she felt it was better to kill herself than go on living,

that's the tragedy, always

Why though?

Objectively speaking, the most fun part of her life was probably nearly over...

She was over 40 years old, as a woman in the entertainment industry. There was probably a very long line of hot young women, half her age, waiting to replace her... and don't tell me, as a female, that she would not have been aware of this!

Of course, you can still enjoy your life past this age... but perhaps she didn't want to become irrelevant?

But beyond this, why is it automatically a tragedy when someone decides to leave this life early? There are plenty of people, who don't even get 40 years of happiness in this life... they'd be lucky if they experienced 4 years or any years!

I think people are just mentally conditioned, to react to suicide like it's a huge tragedy... it's a reflex action for most people, without even thinking if it's true!

Perhaps, if she was some genius scientist, working on a cure for Cancer... and died before completing her life's work... perhaps you could view that scenario, as somewhat tragic. But she was a TV presenter, hosting popular but mostly pointless entertainment shows... she looked like she enjoyed herself...

I don't really see the big tragedy in going out of this life, before you hit middle/old age... If you think about it logically, she got to enjoy the best years of her life... and then avoid all the annoying stuff that comes with getting older!

She's not the first person in the entertainment industry, to go out at their peak... in fact it's quite common. Quite often it's not a mistake, like people think it is... some of these people just don't want to slide off into obscurity and fade away. They enjoy being center of attention. People underestimate how big an underlying factor this is, when you see these type of suicides!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Actually, suicide can be a rational decision... we're all going to die (even if young people tend to ignore it and pretend it's not going to happen to them!:p), sometimes suicide is just someone deciding they would rather die sooner rather than later!

Obviously, most suicides are the product of unhappiness... but this doesn't necessarily mean that they are not also rational too! You can be unhappy and still be capable of making sound rational decisions.

Suicide is a taboo subject, because it involves someone rejecting/opting out of life... but actually, if you remove this taboo, suicide is just another perfectly valid life choice! It's your life, if you wish to check out early you can!

We really shouldn't treat suicide, like it's this major tragedy. This woman lived for 40 odd years... I didn't know much about her while she was alive, but she appears to have enjoyed herself in those 4 decades... what's the big tragedy? So she decided to leave early? Big deal? Perhaps she had her fun, and then life became less fun... so she checked out early! :)

What it this absolute nonsense? I'd love to say what I really think but I would be banned off boards.

• Advertisement

What it this absolute nonsense? I'd love to say what I really think but I would be banned off boards.

Send it in a PM... I won't report you!

Genuinely interested in people's opinions on this.

I guess I just have a very different perspective on suicide... I don't see why it's a huge tragedy. We're all going to die one day anyway... that's guaranteed. So why is dying early such a big deal?

It's just an ancient taboo, that people struggle to get past!

Send it in a PM... I won't report you!

Genuinely interested in people's opinions on this.

I guess I just have a very different perspective on suicide... I don't see why it's a huge tragedy. We're all going to die one day anyway... that's guaranteed. So why is dying early such a big deal?

It's just an ancient taboo, that people struggle to get past!

Would you be spouting the same drivel tomorrow if both your parents, siblings and all your best friends committed suicide tonight or be happy for them?

Why though?
    Objectively speaking, the most fun part of her life was probably nearly over...
    She was over 40 years old,
    its often been said, 'life begins at 40'

I don't think there is any way, if she was thinking rationally, she would have took such drastic action
    She's not the first person in the entertainment industry, to go out at their peak... in fact it's quite common. Quite often it's not a mistake, like people think it is... some of these people just don't want to slide off into obscurity and fade away. They enjoy being center of attention. People underestimate how big an underlying factor this is, when you see these type of suicides!

I'd say the vast majority of these cases in the entertainment industry that you're thinking of, are drug overdoses 'by misadventure' to borrow a phrase, and not 'cries for help' or successful suicide attempts

Would you be spouting the same drivel tomorrow if both your parents, siblings and all your best friends committed suicide tonight or be happy for them?

It really depends on the circumstances.

If they've lived plenty of years, had lots of happy times, and went out of this world by their own choice... with good rationale behind their decision... Then yes, I would be happy that they were free from whatever was troubling them and not under that burden anymore! (Obviously I would miss them - but I'm not selfish, so you have to let people go when it's time!)

I do feel sad, when I see very young kids and teens taking their lives... when you know that they are lacking perspective over their particular problems, and don't perhaps realise that things can turn around very quickly in their life. Stuff like that can be tragic, because they've not really had a chance to live yet...

But this woman was 40+ years old... she looked like she had a fun life. She decided to cut it short, for whatever reason... and I'm sure she will be missed by her friends and family. But she did get to live the best years of her life, and have plenty of fun times... I don't really view that as being a huge tragedy tbh.

A two year old kid getting a brain tumor, and dying before they've had any chance at a happy life... and having no choice over whether they live or die... that's a tragedy! That's desperately sad and unfortunate!

This is quite different. Sad yes, for those who knew her... but not quite the huge tragedy that people are making it out to be! :)

It really depends on the circumstances.

If they've lived plenty of years, had lots of happy times, and went out of this world by their own choice... with good rationale behind their decision... Then yes, I would be happy that they were free from whatever was troubling them and not under that burden anymore! (Obviously I would miss them - but I'm not selfish, so you have to let people go when it's time!)

I do feel sad, when I see very young kids and teens taking their lives... when you know that they are lacking perspective over their particular problems, and don't perhaps realise that things can turn around very quickly in their life. Stuff like that can be tragic, because they've not really had a chance to live yet...

But this woman was 40+ years old... she looked like she had a fun life. She decided to cut it short, for whatever reason... and I'm sure she will be missed by her friends and family. But she did get to live the best years of her life, and have plenty of fun times... I don't really view that as being a huge tragedy tbh.

A two year old kid getting a brain tumor, and dying before they've had any chance at a happy life... and having no choice over whether they live or die... that's a tragedy! That's desperately sad and unfortunate!

This is quite different. Sad yes, for those who knew her... but not quite the huge tragedy that people are making it out to be! :)

So its fine for mentally ill people to take their own life or even sane people? Did you have anyone close to you that committed suicide? You constantly think every day what you could have doing to save them. They generally tell nobody and don't get a chance to say goodbye.

I'm done with this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You mustn't be 40 yet??

That just means that's when you really need to have your shît together.

Also, if you think you're invincible,it's about then you start getting reminders that you are far from it. :o

blade1 wrote: »
    You mustn't be 40 yet??
    That just means that's when you really need to have your shît together.
    i suppose it was mostly said by, or of, people who had married early, and pretty much had their family raised by the time they were 40, and this was the time to start enjoying life

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

i suppose it was mostly said by, or of, people who had married early, and pretty much had their family raised by the time they were 40, and this was the time to start enjoying life

So wouldn't remotely apply in Caroline Flacks case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

For someone only "vaguely aware" of Flack you seem to know a lot of facts that even the police dont :pac:

Bizarre.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    For someone only "vaguely aware" of Flack you seem to know a lot of facts that even the police dont :pac:

Bizarre.

Or both people who were actually there said it didn't happen and the physical evidence doesn't match the allegation.

It is bizarre how that is disregarded completely.

Again it is an allegation, not a fact.

Advertisement