Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

ARPEGE 06Z an upgrade in wind speeds for Sunday, more in line now with the ECM, strongest winds coming in early from around 05.00 to early afternoon at this stage. Very heavy rain.

Any photos or a link? Thanks <3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Clareman wrote: »
    Thanks for worrying about us MT :)

There used to be a pub in Ennis called M.T. Pockets so nice to see a connection is still being held :D

Also Prospect Hill in Galway City, now called something else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 06Z a bit up again, early winds widespread gusting 100 to 120Km/h, up to 130km/h on coasts for a time and looking like the core getting very close to the NW / N coasts in the early afternoon, gusting 130 to 140 km/ h. A lot of fine tuning over the next 36 hrs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ARPEGE max gusts chart:

ciara-arpege.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I'd say we will get a few upgrades later on today/tomorrow morning going by the charts, latest ARPEGE has some orange gusts alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Easier to post charts here than uploading images etc:
    https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1225767818907586560?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That's looking in excess of 120kmh?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

based on this mornings run I think next week's snow risk looks a bit lower. Yesterday was showing very cold most of the way from Monday morning to late Thursday with a brief mild interlude on Wednesday. This mornings run still has it cold on Monday and Tuesday, then mild for Wednesday and cooler on Thursday but not cold enough for snow, so it looks like we are back to a 2 day window for snow.

Most of the snow risk charts are keeping it over the west and north with not much progress into Leinster, except for a patch on the Wicklow Mountains.

81-780UK.GIF?07-6

126-780UK.GIF?07-6

Temperatures on Monday and Tuesday look similar, most places staying around 3 to 6C on Monday which would result in any lying snow thawing fairly quickly on low ground. Tuesday is a bit colder with 3 to 4C generally.

78-580UK.GIF?07-6

102-580UK.GIF?07-6

Precipitation looks mostly showery in nature with showers becoming lighter and more scattered as they head into Leinster.

Monday GFS snow risk shows most heavy showers across the west and north, Looks a bit dryer towards the east and south.

108-574UK.GIF?07-6

Tuesday more of the same, some eastern areas could stay dry.
    102-574UK.GIF?07-6

Those snow risk charts can be misleading as they tend to overcook the amount of snow when in reality most of it is showers rather than a constant band of snow. We are still 3 days away from this happening so more upgrades or downgrades to come in terms of snow risk and temperatures.

Winds on Sunday for Storm Ciara still look fairly strong with gusts between 70 and 100km/h across the country, gusts may be higher across the west and south.

51-289UK.GIF?07-6

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The GFS wind chart which I linked in above post doesn't look as windy as some of the other models.

The Arpege is going for higher wind speeds nationwide, between 85 and 130km/h, perhaps even higher gusts around western coasts.

arpegeuk-11-50-0.png?07-12

Icon also looks just as windy with gusts up to 120km/h getting across the country with gusts perhaps exceeding 130km/h in places.

iconeu_uk1-11-52-0.png?07-10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

It is worth noting that the ECM was over estimating winds speeds for Storm Brendan and Lorenzo. GFS was more in line with reality. It will be interesting to see which model wins out on this occasion.

I'm fully expecting Met Eireann to update warnings this afternoon to a possible Coastal County Orange or even National Orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Given the possible severity and longevity of this storm I'm surprised Met Eireann haven't updated the warnings yet to give people more notice. A lot of people travel in Sundays whether it be students back to college or people heading back to Dublin for work. I'm aware there's a status yellow warning in place but obviously this will increase given what the charts are showing. Also surprised with the quietness on this thread for such an event, is there a possible lack of awareness given it's only a status yellow at the moment maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cw85 wrote: »
    Given the possible severity and longevity of this storm I'm surprised Met Eireann haven't updated the warnings yet to give people more notice. A lot of people travel in Sundays whether it be students back to college or people heading back to Dublin for work. I'm aware there's a status yellow warning in place but obviously this will increase given what the charts are showing. Also surprised with the quietness on this thread for such an event, is there a possible lack of awareness given it's only a status yellow at the moment maybe?

I think so. While there are west coast marine gales and gales coming in, the rest of the country is calm; nothing happening.

When the winds really hit it will be a different story; as with Brendan.

Oh and the warning is dated Saturday not today. Apart from marine warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

I think so. While there are west coast marine gales and gales coming in, the rest of the country is calm; nothing happening.

When the winds really hit it will be a different story; as with Brendan.

Oh and the warning is dated Saturday not today. Apart from marine warnings

Yes maybe you're right, hopefully if warnings are to be increased (which looks like it) they will be updated tomorrow. Is 24 hours out a reasonable time to suggest that wind speed currently being shown won't change much? I see the storm moving slightly more North-East but I'm no expert as to whether it can still change much is the next 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Those charts look bad enough the severe winds seem to go very far inland...and it could be even upgraded more by the looks of it...

Yes maybe you're right, hopefully if warnings are to be increased (which looks like it) they will be updated tomorrow. Is 24 hours out a reasonable time to suggest that wind speed currently being shown won't change much? I see the storm moving slightly more North-East but I'm no expert as to whether it can still change much is the next 24 hours

I think folk have seen SATURDAY in the warnings and rightly so ! My bad too as I am offshore and we have a near gale out here. I knew it would not hit elsewhere until tomorrow and pm at that. But coping with it here now distracted me.

Anything technical needs a weather tech expert! I am just a very connected observer with no tech skills! They will be posting frequently now of course so I hope your queries are answered.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is it looking likely they'll have to cancel the Galway festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

It’s not only this thread that is quite, the media In general have been quiet. Plenty of events happening Sunday that are currently going ahead and probably as mentioned the yellow warnings have given people the false sense of security.
    I know the voting tomorrow has the media preoccupied but maybe more should be done to let people know they might have plans or travel disrupted over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I need to drive from North Leinster to South West Munster tomorrow and back Sunday. Not a confident driver in bad weather although I do know the route very well. So, bit nervous !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Having look at the GFS chart it does not look too bad :confused: but the strong winds will be very prolonged in some areas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

North Atlantic atmospheric circulation beginning to stir up as the jet stream exits the Canadian Maritimes:

ZXzwTAl.gif

New Moon

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I need to drive from North Leinster to South West Munster tomorrow and back Sunday. Not a confident driver in bad weather although I do know the route very well. So, bit nervous !

Take it steady and you will be fine. Breathe! Take breaks when you can.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    North Atlantic atmospheric circulation beginning to stir up as the jet stream exits the Canadian Maritimes:

[ My family in Newfoundland will be getting it soon.. off to light a candle..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind warning for Donegal and Mayo
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal and Mayo
    In advance of the arrival of Storm Ciara on Sunday, south to southwest winds on Saturday will reach mean speeds of 65-80km/h with gusts of up to 120 km/h.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 08/02/2020 to 16:00 Saturday 08/02/2020

Issued: 15:00 Friday 07/02/2020

Wind warning for Galway
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway
    In advance of the arrival of Storm Ciara on Sunday, south to southwest winds on Saturday will reach mean speeds of 65-80km/h with gusts of up to 120 km/h.

Valid: 13:00 Saturday 08/02/2020 to 18:00 Saturday 08/02/2020

Issued: 14:00 Friday 07/02/2020

Wind warning for Ireland
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland
    Saturday, 8th Feb: Southerly winds will strengthen during Saturday reaching mean speeds of 50-65km/h with gusts reaching 90-110km/h.

Sunday, 9th Feb: Storm Ciara (named by the UK Met Office) will produce very strong winds over Ireland on Sunday with a risk of damaging gusts.

Over the weekend the combination of Spring Tides and high seas as well as stormy conditions will result in an elevated risk of coastal flooding especially along southern, western and northwestern coasts.

Valid: 09:00 Saturday 08/02/2020 to 23:59 Sunday 09/02/2020

Issued: 11:00 Thursday 06/02/2020

Met Eireann have updated their warnings:

Orange Level Wind Warning - Mayo, Galway, Donegal.
    Yellow Level Wind Warning - Everywhere else.

https://www.met.ie/warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Probably a lot are in work, school, college, I'd say itll be a lot more active in here later on this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Galway 2020 opening in the swamp at 5/6 ish..... why is it called the swamp i wonder??

Wild out here now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes particularly quite here for what COULD happen over the next week...But, I do think with the elections, rugby etc going on its not been plastered in the media for once. Although ppl should take good notice, Im actually glad there's no sensationalist media crap on the front pages yet! Then the inevitable moans and groans cos we didnt get 3 feet of snow or the island didnt blow away!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭endainoz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Take it steady and you will be fine. Breathe! Take breaks when you can.

Fun tip: if you want a real fun journey, do it in a van!

Advertisement