Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I don't care if is snows or not. I just can't wait for winter so it stops raining all the time. I'm sick of this bloody summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I remember all the posts saying bring on the summer, where are all these posters now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I remember all the posts saying bring on the summer, where are all these posters now:)

Crying :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The summer isn't that bad, I've still been wearing a t-shirt most days and we've had plenty of spells of pleasant dry and warm weather between the rainy days. Having 20 hours of brightness is great as well compared to the depressing darkness in winter. Winter is nice on the rare occasions we get some interesting weather but I don't quite see the attraction of 7C, cloudy and dark as most winter days will invariably be

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Just watching programme on Discovery about historic climate change. Apparently the mini ice age in Europe was preceded by a run of really wet summers. Anyone else see parallels??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

morticia2 wrote: »
    Just watching programme on Discovery about historic climate change. Apparently the mini ice age in Europe was preceded by a run of really wet summers. Anyone else see parallels??

In this forum there is also a thread something like The Sun is Dead, Mini Ice age , it might be worth looking it up too, we are in a mini ice age period already.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

gbee wrote: »

In this forum there is also a thread something like The Sun is Dead, Mini Ice age , it might be worth looking it up too, we are in a mini ice age period already.

Well aware of it thanks, perhaps I should put that comment on there. Not sure it mentions the run of wet summers preceding the mini ice age, though. I wonder if there's any data on winters 1315-25, also. Might give us a clue as to what might be coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Well aware of it thanks, perhaps I should put that comment on there. Not sure it mentions the run of wet summers preceding the mini ice age, though. I wonder if there's any data on winters 1315-25, also. Might give us a clue as to what might be coming up
    There was very wet winters in the mini ice age very like what we have being having

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

They wouldn't have recorded data in those days but extreme weather events would have been documented. This link is as good as you'll get in relation to the fourteenth century.
    (note the winter of 1338-9, the only other occasion that the Liffey completely froze was in the winter of 1739-40 as far as I know)
    http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1300_1399.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭chrisjdoran

Just means our sun is experiencing something that has not happened in 300 years of watching it, the 11 year cycle of sunspots/solar activity repeats every 11 years, except we are still approaching a solar maximum that should have happened last year, so expect a few extremes weather wise..
    davidsr20 wrote: »
    In English ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Just means our sun is experiencing something that has not happened in 300 years of watching it, the 11 year cycle of sunspots/solar activity repeats every 11 years, except we are still approaching a solar maximum that should have happened last year, so expect a few extremes weather wise..

I'll translate for you..

Just means our sun is experiencing something that has not happened in 300 years of watching it, the 11 year cycle of sunspots/solar activity repeats every 11 years, except we are still approaching a solar maximum that should have happened last year, so expect a few extremes weather wise.. :P

that should have happened last year, so expect a few extremes weather wise.. :P

and the discussion is whether the Sun stays 'asleep' and enters its 11 year minimum cycle [without having a maximum cycle] which will leave us stranded in bad weather potential for a period of 11 more years or if the Sun is stuck in its Moulder minimum ....

After a few years of study of the various forecast techniques I have come to the following conslusions:

The sun is too active = It rains on Ireland
    The sun is too quite = It rains on Ireland
    The sun is in perfect balance = it rains on Ireland
    The Jet Stream is too far north = it rains on Ireland
    The Jet stream is too far south = it rains on Ireland
    The Jet stream is in perfect balance = it rains on Ireland
    The Moon is too close = it rains on Ireland
    The Moon is too far away = it rains on Ireland.
    The Moon is in perfect balance = it rains on Ireland.
    The fox sh1t is too pale = it rains on Ireland
    The fox sh1t is too dark = it rains on Ireland
    The fox sh1t is just perfect - it rains on Ireland

I HATE this bloody summer/winter/autumn/spring. If it wasn't for the calendar on my phone I wouldn't have had a clue what time of the year it was for the last 18 months.

touts wrote: »
    I HATE this bloody summer/winter/autumn/spring. If it wasn't for the calendar on my phone I wouldn't have had a clue what time of the year it was for the last 18 months.

It has been prophesied that when one doth not tell apart the seasons, the END Of The WORLD is nigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

It has been prophesied that when one doth not tell apart the seasons, the END Of The WORLD is nigh!

Does that apply to the rest of the World too becasue from what I can make out it's only Ireland that's suffering this particular maladie of season non-differenciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Big Tone wrote: »
    Does that apply to the rest of the World too becasue from what I can make out it's only Ireland that's suffering this particular maladie of season non-differenciation.

No, just Ireland. Next up on the list is economic disaster.

No.

Wait.

Sorry, that was earlier on the list.

Well on the upside if the world does end this mid winter at least it will stop raining. Unfortunately I fear we'll all wake up on December 22nd with no Christmas shopping done and it will be around 13 degrees with a nasty heavy mist (basically today but 5 degrees colder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I hear tis gonna be the cowldest winter in forty years!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

cocoshovel wrote: »

Right, I'm off to buy a wood burner, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It'll probably be the mildest winter in 500 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I really hope we get some cold this year. An other mild winter would be very bad ,

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ShawB

Looking forward to this Winter to see what were in for. It wont be a real winter forum until bb arrives though. King of the snow bunnies. :L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is a weather forum not a winter forum. Start your own winter forum. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Just a thought was last Winter colder than some previous years?

Yes we got nothing because of the Azores High over us but did the rest of the Northern Hemisphere recieved more or less snow/cold weather than average?

Alaska last year got huge amounts of snow and the European big freeze come to mind.

So what would be the general consensus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Just a thought was last Winter colder than some previous years? No, it was very mild, we actually did not put on heating on Dec 26th (St Stephens Day). I don't recall any snow either.

Yes we got nothing because of the Azores High over us but did the rest of the Northern Hemisphere recieved more or less snow/cold weather than average? We escaped the worst of the weather that hit Europe and our neighbours.

Alaska last year got huge amounts of snow and the European big freeze come to mind.
    So what would be the general consensus? We had a mild winter and we escaped the harsh cold weather that hit Europe especially Italy where snow levels around Opi 150km east of Rome hit levels that forced wolves down from the hills to roam for food in the town of Opi. (see attached picture from Feb 2012)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Fiskar wrote: »
    Just a thought was last Winter colder than some previous years? No, it was very mild, we actually did not put on heating on Dec 26th (St Stephens Day). I don't recall any snow either.

Yes we got nothing because of the Azores High over us but did the rest of the Northern Hemisphere recieved more or less snow/cold weather than average? We escaped the worst of the weather that hit Europe and our neighbours.

So what would be the general consensus? We had a mild winter and we escaped the harsh cold weather that hit Europe especially Italy where snow levels around Opi 150km east of Rome hit levels that forced wolves down from the hills to roam for food in the town of Opi. (see attached picture from Feb 2012)

Wow can't we get that kind of snow here? Please! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

DylanII wrote: »
    Wow can't we get that kind of snow here? Please! :)

Another photo from Sarajevo 2012 (Feb), yes those blobs are cars.

Com'on winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Let me be the first poster to mention this word on the thread!

I smell Graupel !!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

cocoshovel wrote: »

The Cowldest? Right, I'd better get the mother to nail down the last few tiles on the Cowshed roof and move the Cows in there asap!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Baibin Sneachta

Hello guys. Been following the tread a while now but it seems to be gone quite so I thought why not sigh up. Some great info and links on here, keep up the good work and lets make this winter happen.
    :D:p:D:p:D:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement