Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Motor and Sport , Where Elverys is now
    The Col , where the tower is now
    The olympia Ballroom
    Fad Browns on Barrack St
    Cantwells on Michael St
    The Blue Haven
    The Ardree
    Zhivago where love stories begin!
    Afie hales sport shop on Barrack St
    Crazy Prices
    Five 0 in the shopping centre
    Flanagans fish shop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Falla Wall, McGarrett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

shockwave wrote: »

The dingy old shop opposite mt sion school where you could get a single fag for 10p. Used to be packed at break time

think it was called connollys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

SUNGOD wrote: »
    muckel ryan drinking around the town

You mean the guy who wrote his name on everything? Always wondered who he was!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

anplaya wrote: »
    shockwave wrote: »

The dingy old shop opposite mt sion school where you could get a single fag for 10p. Used to be packed at break time

think it was called connollys
    Wasn't there a Connollys opposite Stephens Street at top of Alexander Street going way back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

m3llowship wrote: »
    I'm yet to find a battered sausage as good as the Beefy King where Abra is now.

I really have to agree here. The Beefy King used to be in New Ross, before they moved Waterford. I remember as a kid coming from Inistioge getting chips & battered sausages in New Ross. I was distraught when they moved, it felt like a million miles away down they old New Ross - Waterford road!! :D

Them were the days!! :D

Must be 20 years ago now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeez some memories there.. Polberry before Tescos was there, The Infirmary when it was a hospital, The old New Ross road, The cranes on the north quays, The Roxy, The Pullpit when it was only the Pulpit and Preachers wasnt built then, The old bakers on John St which is now a pub that has changed hands a lot since then.. no idea what its called now, Burgerland..

What was the name of that computer/photography store that used to be in arundel square before city square was there? Grumpy aul git working there..
    Bought my first "ahem" PC there, a sinclair spectrum +2 :D

Outside of Waterford I know , but the Majestic Hotel in Tramore and the swimming pool before it went on fire..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

What was the name of that computer/photography store that used to be in arundel square before city square was there? Grumpy aul git working there..
    'Finns' and he was grumpy for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    the name of that computer/photography store that used to be in arundel square before city square was there? Grumpy aul git working there..

Do you mean Finn's? Though I didn't find the guy to be grumpy. I bought a fair amount of stuff there (and after they moved) too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lynchpin

As a 27 year old here are some of my memories from Waterford as a child.

I remember Alfie Hales Sport shop being located where Guinneys is now(Trinity House)
    and on High Street opposite City Square and in George's court where the baby shop is now.
    The one in George's court stands out as I remember the life sized poster of Michael Jordan inside the door.

I remember Fitzmaurices toy shop where Boots is now and the lego and games section was located upstairs
    while the newsagents section was located where Carphone warehose is now. I'm pretty
    confident that this was here up to around 1995

Shaws before it was done up and what seemed to be a huge furniture section upstairs.

The old cinema with it's wavy roof thing.

My first bike was purchased in some market that was held in the old Grannery.

The computer shop (Teleport) in Georges Court and the coffee shop in the centre of Georges Court

Strand Electric on Johns Street. It was Strand Electric right up to 1997/1998 as that was
    where we bought our Nintendo 64. Then it became Strand Video.

Darrers and the wonky elevator out the back.
    The Hyper Market's toy section upstairs where Heatons is now and the stand
    alone newsagents where I think the Off License is now.

The car park and lane way behind the Cathedral where a Hotel is now.

The Broadsteet shopping centre. I think this was the only place in the city where
    you could buy Slush puppies.

Was Fieldmasters located somewhere else before it set up on the quay?

A clothes shop opposite BPM records that sold Xworks and Eclipse jeans.
    Was BPM located somewhere on Michaels Street?

more to follow... :D

• Advertisement

Oh and as a kid thinking that MB Games was some magical place out of a
    Roald Dahl book. That assumption was dashed when I worked there on my summer holidays during college. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭deisemum

lynchpin wrote: »

I remember Fitzmaurices toy shop where Boots is now and the lego and games section was located upstairs
    while the newsagents section was located where Carphone warehose is now. I'm pretty
    confident that this was here up to around 1995

Shaws before it was done up and what seemed to be a huge furniture section upstairs.

Fitzmaurices was definitely still there in the late 90's. I only moved to Waterford in 1997 then had a baby and remember bringing him in there. It had the reputation of staff following you around the place and customer service left a lot to be desired.

Shaws had a bigger furniture section alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Shaws had a small restaurant upstairs too. Sometimes got a filled blaa in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

lynchpin wrote: »
    The computer shop (Teleport) in Georges Court and the coffee shop in the centre of Georges Court

A clothes shop opposite BPM records that sold Xworks and Eclipse jeans.
    Was BPM located somewhere on Michaels Street?

more to follow... :D

I remember Teleport as well. My Mam got my Commodore 64 in there!! :D

Wasn't BPM upstairs in that small shopping mall beside where H Samual is now?

shapez wrote: »
    I remember Teleport as well. My Mam got my Commodore 64 in there!! :D

Wasn't BPM upstairs in that small shopping mall beside where H Samual is now?

that's were we got our Amstrad. Around then my brother asked me to ask the salesman how much one of the computers were. The salesman laughed at me saying that I couldn't afford it. To his credit I only had 50p pocket money to my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

anplaya wrote: »
    Fitzmaurices in Georges Court, where Boots is now. I spent a lot of time in there.

ah thanks for the reminder ,can just barely remember it lol:D[/QUOTE]

there was a fella in there would chase you out of the place if you dared to read one of the comics without paying. mr fitzmaurice would go mental if people were reading without paying as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Mods back in the '80s - clogging up the town with their Green/Grey parkas and blue/red/white target patches on their backs - scooters with twenty mirrors.
    Sure most of their kids are now our teenage chavs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

gscully wrote: »

Gaywear on Michael St (now Kavanaghs I think)

No way! Was this a nickname?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

cows and sheep on the quay being loaded into the ships, seems like it was back in the 1800s! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

No way! Was this a nickname?

no thats what it was called when it opened then it became Awear

"motor and sport" think it was where "strand electric" was which in turn became "strand video"

motor and sport was like deevys and alfie hales combined
    always remember they used to restring squash rackets on a machine in the middle of the shop

for anyone living out by quinnsworth/waterford shopping center lisduggan
    remember mickey wongs caravan selling curry/chips etc .
    which was either in larchville or at the corner of sunrise cresent and larchville
    mickey was a bit of legend..all 6 stone of him was often seen diving out in the guillameanes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I remember Teleport as well. My Mam got my Commodore 64 in there!!

Same here :)

Remember Roches Street????? Now the De La Salle Secondary School's pitch (across from St. Declans)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

old gregg wrote: »
    following on from Martin Hunt and Waterford characters, here's one that only folks of a certain vintage will remember .....
    STAB THE RASHER

:p

haha me da knows him:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WMT

Suppers in the nite clubs.
    T'was nearly always a cuury down in breens and chips beans and sausages in snags. God they were the buisness when you were in the horrors !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

WMT wrote: »
    Suppers in the nite clubs.
    T'was nearly always a cuury down in breens and chips beans and sausages in snags. God they were the buisness when you were in the horrors !!!

lol this reminds me,dose anyone rember when they had the chipper and the offliscence open at the same time in club laaa lol a box of bulmers and a curry snackbox at closing time fecin happy days lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Kahless wrote: »
    Do you mean Finn's? Though I didn't find the guy to be grumpy. I bought a fair amount of stuff there (and after they moved) too.

Got my Commodore 64 there too when I was 9. That man was a saint.
    I was into him every day I was brought to town with another annoying question.

I think I got my come-up-ins when I worked in a mobile shop and had a string of 9 year olds comming in with endless questions!

And Streetwise in Georges court and Penny lane in Michael st, clothes shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Patsy the conductor taking tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

notting rwong with patsy understanding legend that he is and the same for money bags legend also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

old gregg wrote: »
    The sale in Peter France

All 26 years that that sale went on for.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 WMT

j walsh wrote: »
    All 26 years that that sale went on for.:D:D:D

Is that sale still on by the way ? :P

Advertisement