Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ajax wireless alarm system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Can I ask Duke, how you found the install and any good or bad feedback since you installed? Would you swap any of the sensors or pick up more if you were to go again?

Also, could you advise of the total cost? I was adding bits and pieces to the basket on the site you linked and the total cost for a set up similar to yours was well north of €1000? Just curious - I wouldn’t mind paying 1500 odd for something bulletproof considering the likely costs over 5 or 6 years with Phonewatch or the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mikey89ryan

The external siren will actually last for years even without being hard wired. If you go on Ajax website you can actually work out how long your siren battery life expects to last, you just punch in some information like, how long is your system armed per day, does it beep when armed/disarmed etc... it will calculate for you how long they expect the battery life to last which is cool. Might not be 100% accurate but will give you a rough estimate. If you want to hard wire it, it takes a 12v dc power supply rated to 3amps if i remember. You could buy one on amazon if needed and plug it into a socket in attic and run it out or get somebody to do it for you!.

Iv just bought my first home. i used to be a sparky but now work for a semi conductor company fixing tools. I was researching alarms for ages and came across Ajax on this board. Didn't want monthly fees so decided to go for it and spent around a grand on a hub 2 with the motion cam and other sensors. Been in the house a month and so far so good. I don,t have the external siren fitted outside yet as i wanted to make sure the system wasn't giving false alarms and waking neighbors when armed so iv kept it indoors but its been working perfect. I plan to install it outside the front this week. Im fortunate to have a ladder and not be put off by heights!!, maybe try and get someone to put it up for you! I am concerned at how resistant it is to rain though. I know its IP54 rated but it rains hard in this country, time will tell!.

I also have herself set up on her phone so she operate the alarm when im not home. The app is nice and easy to use as is setting up devices. Bought a 2g sim card from Tesco for the cellular backup and thats working fine too!!. Will probably have too top up every month for that by a tenner or so but its worth it for back up in case anything goes wrong. I like the way the system will let you add cameras and stuff also, i plan to do that in future!.

Had phonewatch call to my door when i was installing the alarm. They were doing the rounds asking people to sign up. Brought him in and showed him the hardware. He had never heard of Ajax.! It was funny, he was trying to pawn off a subscription and i was like..mate...no chance!!
    I got mine from Megateh online, they are from Estonia i believe, even got a complimentary bar of Estonian chocolate to go with it. So fa im very happy with the system and how its operating. Home Secure are also using the exact hardware so if they are happy to use it then that suggests its fairly reliable!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ebay have loads of world SIMs for data that hop network if the preferred one is down.
    I picked up one with 100MB per month for 25 for the year should my broadband drop off. Beats handing any of the Irish operators extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

The external siren will actually last for years even without being hard wired. If you go on Ajax website you can actually work out how long your siren battery life expects to last, you just punch in some information like, how long is your system armed per day, does it beep when armed/disarmed etc... it will calculate for you how long they expect the battery life to last which is cool. Might not be 100% accurate but will give you a rough estimate. If you want to hard wire it, it takes a 12v dc power supply rated to 3amps if i remember. You could buy one on amazon if needed and plug it into a socket in attic and run it out or get somebody to do it for you!.

Iv just bought my first home. i used to be a sparky but now work for a semi conductor company fixing tools. I was researching alarms for ages and came across Ajax on this board. Didn't want monthly fees so decided to go for it and spent around a grand on a hub 2 with the motion cam and other sensors. Been in the house a month and so far so good. I don,t have the external siren fitted outside yet as i wanted to make sure the system wasn't giving false alarms and waking neighbors when armed so iv kept it indoors but its been working perfect. I plan to install it outside the front this week. Im fortunate to have a ladder and not be put off by heights!!, maybe try and get someone to put it up for you! I am concerned at how resistant it is to rain though. I know its IP54 rated but it rains hard in this country, time will tell!.

I also have herself set up on her phone so she operate the alarm when im not home. The app is nice and easy to use as is setting up devices. Bought a 2g sim card from Tesco for the cellular backup and thats working fine too!!. Will probably have too top up every month for that by a tenner or so but its worth it for back up in case anything goes wrong. I like the way the system will let you add cameras and stuff also, i plan to do that in future!.

Had phonewatch call to my door when i was installing the alarm. They were doing the rounds asking people to sign up. Brought him in and showed him the hardware. He had never heard of Ajax.! It was funny, he was trying to pawn off a subscription and i was like..mate...no chance!!
    I got mine from Megateh online, they are from Estonia i believe, even got a complimentary bar of Estonian chocolate to go with it. So fa im very happy with the system and how its operating. Home Secure are also using the exact hardware so if they are happy to use it then that suggests its fairly reliable!.

You should consider getting yourself a boxed 12 volt power supply that you could put a 7 amp battery within to continue supplying your bell box with 12v in the event of a mains fault.

Hikvision have now launched a system very similar to this Ajax one on the European market so this might be a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

kub wrote: »
    You should consider getting yourself a boxed 12 volt power supply that you could put a 7 amp battery within to continue supplying your bell box with 12v in the event of a mains fault.

Hikvision have now launched a system very similar to this Ajax one on the European market so this might be a game changer.

What is the name of the hikvision system called? Will it be accessible to non trade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

What is the name of the hikvision system called? Will it be accessible to non trade?

Anyone any privacy concerns with hikvision. They would be on my list of cameras for sure when I take the plunge. Checking out their new Colour Vu online at the weekend.
    Read something lately though, and they were mentioned in the same breath as Huawei.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 thomasoreilly

Hi All,
    just moved into new home, and found this forum, very interesting :)
    House is fully pre-wired, but I am now reconsidering the initial thoughts to go fully wired, after reading about this AJAX system. Pricing (initial and ongoing costs) and lack of smarts in 'traditional' intrusion alarms are pushing me towards self-install of AJAX. what I think I would like is a modern hybrid 'smart' system in self monitored mode. I would like to use wired, but I am no electrician!

I found this one on the HIKVision site, and potentially meets what I want, but unable to find installer that will use it.

I think what the poster above in relation to the HIKVision wireless alarm is the AX or AX Pro they have on their site?

anyways the more I read and think about it, I will probably go for self install of Ajax, then I have full control and can manage and upgrade/add to it as I see fit. Home Secure do offer a very good package, €99 install €36 a month for 3 years. And seemingly I own it at the end. However they can't supply the newer hub or motioncams, so for similar money, up front of course, I can get the HUB 2 and motioncams. of course I do not get professional install, monitoring, support or SIM paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Hi All,
    just moved into new home, and found this forum, very interesting :)
    House is fully pre-wired, but I am now reconsidering the initial thoughts to go fully wired, after reading about this AJAX system. Pricing (initial and ongoing costs) and lack of smarts in 'traditional' intrusion alarms are pushing me towards self-install of AJAX. what I think I would like is a modern hybrid 'smart' system in self monitored mode. I would like to use wired, but I am no electrician!

I found this one on the HIKVision site, and potentially meets what I want, but unable to find installer that will use it.

I think what the poster above in relation to the HIKVision wireless alarm is the AX or AX Pro they have on their site?

anyways the more I read and think about it, I will probably go for self install of Ajax, then I have full control and can manage and upgrade/add to it as I see fit. Home Secure do offer a very good package, €99 install €36 a month for 3 years. And seemingly I own it at the end. However they can't supply the newer hub or motioncams, so for similar money, up front of course, I can get the HUB 2 and motioncams. of course I do not get professional install, monitoring, support or SIM paid for.

I think with Home Secure you cant add on to your setup without their say so.

I could be wrong,

My Ajax setup cost around 1100

I think with Home Secure you cant add on to your setup without their say so.

I could be wrong,

My Ajax setup cost around 1100

I asked if I would have admin access, and he said potentially, but I guess they probably aren't too keen on giving it, and allowing you to buy your own devices, modify the system, and then expect support! I asked if I got the motioncams myself could I add them and he basically said they are not available in UK or Ireland

Would you recommend the Ajax?

I am also going to be looking at Eufy for Doorbell and security cams, you happy with them? was originally actually going to do the alarm based off the Eufy as well. e.g. get the camera system, and a few of the alarm accessories.
    Did you consider this? adding contact sensors, motion and keypad.
    If it met my requirements, then I'd keep it, if not proceed with dedicated system like Ajax or professional wired. Actually I might still do that....

Don't wanna hijack the thread but I have concern with Eufy cameras, I read the 'local' storage doesn't work if internet or their servers are down, anyone able to comment on this? need to do bit more research on it.
    Also like the idea of the Ezviz that has SIM backup in its base station, but not all cameras seem to talk back to it. I guess neither do all the Eufy cams with the homebase (for now), I know I am rambling, but I have found a place to actually discuss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I asked if I would have admin access, and he said potentially, but I guess they probably aren't too keen on giving it, and allowing you to buy your own devices, modify the system, and then expect support! I asked if I got the motioncams myself could I add them and he basically said they are not available in UK or Ireland

Would you recommend the Ajax?

I am also going to be looking at Eufy for Doorbell and security cams, you happy with them? was originally actually going to do the alarm based off the Eufy as well. e.g. get the camera system, and a few of the alarm accessories.
    Did you consider this? adding contact sensors, motion and keypad.
    If it met my requirements, then I'd keep it, if not proceed with dedicated system like Ajax or professional wired. Actually I might still do that....

Don't wanna hijack the thread but I have concern with Eufy cameras, I read the 'local' storage doesn't work if internet or their servers are down, anyone able to comment on this? need to do bit more research on it.
    Also like the idea of the Ezviz that has SIM backup in its base station, but not all cameras seem to talk back to it. I guess neither do all the Eufy cams with the homebase (for now), I know I am rambling, but I have found a place to actually discuss :)

Homesecure charge you an extra a month per add on.

https://www.homesecure.ie/products/#gref

They won’t give you admin access and you can’t get it unmonitored.

Homesecure is a complete waste when you can do everything yourself.

Eufy security IMO is a perfect setup with the doorbell and cameras. Not one issue to be had so far.

• Advertisement

I am afraid I cannot answer that because I was speaking with one of my own suppliers recently and the Hikvision Intruder equipment had not arrived to them yet.
    I imagine that Hikvision will pursue us installers first as they have plenty of suppliers here that supply installers with CCTV equipment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I expect that just like their other product lines you will find they will sell to anyone that pays them.

We had something similar in the electrical industry. Some electrical contractors unsuccessfully argued that some electrical accessories such as distribution boards should only be sold to those in the trade but this was a pointless exercise and impossible to police.

With Hikvision, their support is with the distributors and suppliers. As an end user, you will be told to contact who you bought it from. Not much use if you buy from ebay or megateh. Ajax on the other hand are incredibly friendly and very helpful.

2011 wrote: »
    I expect that just like their other product lines you will find they will sell to anyone that pays them.

We had something similar in the electrical industry. Some electrical contractors unsuccessfully argued that some electrical accessories such as distribution boards should only be sold to those in the trade but this was a pointless exercise and impossible to police.

You guys are lucky, isn't there serious consequences for anyone going at a distribution board now who is not an actual electrician?

All we have is the revenue dept known as the PSA.

With Hikvision, their support is with the distributors and suppliers. As an end user, you will be told to contact who you bought it from. Not much use if you buy from ebay or megateh. Ajax on the other hand are incredibly friendly and very helpful.

I am sure that if a Hikvision Intruder system is fitted by a licensed professional installer that they will also be incredibly friendly and very helpful 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

What is there to consider about installation and location of the control panel. I'd propable go with a Hub2 Plus and utilise GSM and broadband.

My issue is GSM is poor in the house with one room out of the way with some sort of GSM signal. I can get cat there through a powerline.

Can you control panel be isolated, maybe even in the attic for gsm signal and then keypads at the doors ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

all wireless alarms can be jammed are less reliable than wired system as for the bell box rhe wire will bring up 12 volts which will charge a battery and keep it charged
    it's better to have 2 bell boxs as they can disable one
    it's better to get cameras that send video to your phone and then you call garda

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kub wrote: »
    You guys are lucky, isn't there serious consequences for anyone going at a distribution board now who is not an actual electrician?

The law is that you must be a registered electrical contractor to work on a domestic distribution board. A complete novice is legally permitted to work on a far more complex distribution board even if unregistered in an industrial installation. Clearly the objective of this is to get rid of the nixer merchants.

2011 wrote: »
    The law is that you must be a registered electrical contractor to work on a domestic distribution board. A complete novice is legally permitted to work on a far more complex distribution board even if unregistered in an industrial installation. Clearly the objective of this is to get rid of the nixer merchants.

Yes domestic is right, I left that bit out. It is a farce though that this applies only to the domestic sphere but not to the commercial and industrial where a novice could find himself between 3 phases.
    I always suspected it was a kick back after the PSA were established, but having said all that, i do feel that no one except a registered electrician should have any business at a distribution board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi,

Just had my Ajax system delivered this week from Megateh (Hub only as was cheaper here) and Best Alarm for the remainder of the sensors.

I have a number of windows which have multiple openings and are currently wired with one shock sensor and the rest with Reed switches. What drew me to the Ajax system was the ability to wire external detectors from the sensors. This way I could buy one Door Protect Plus per window and loop the existing Reed switches for the rest.

However now that it has arrived and I've had a look at it, it seems that it might be difficult to connect in the external sensors neatly concealing the cables.

Has anyone done this at all or have any pics/advice on the install? I was hoping it would have a screw clamp terminal on the sensor but the plug in lead they supply with the sensor that pops out each side will just look messy I think!

• Advertisement

rob w wrote: »
    Hi,

Just had my Ajax system delivered this week from Megateh (Hub only as was cheaper here) and Best Alarm for the remainder of the sensors.

You have a link for best alarm?

You have a look for best alarm?

Not sure what you are asking there?

rob w wrote: »
    Not sure what you are asking there?

I meant link, to the other site you bought from.

I meant link, to the other site you bought from.

https://best-alarm-system-webshop.eu/en/category/ajax-products/

There you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Ebay have loads of world SIMs for data that hop network if the preferred one is down.
    I picked up one with 100MB per month for 25 for the year should my broadband drop off. Beats handing any of the Irish operators extra cash.

Mind sharing a link to the one you purchased? Thanks.

manlad wrote: »
    Mind sharing a link to the one you purchased? Thanks.

There's no listings anymore but it was sold by scopez media in the UK. Just look for a "world sim" or better yet an IOT sim and there should be a few options.

Just installed my new ajax alarm, impressed with it so far seems like a smart bit of kit.

A question for anyone else who has one though...

Is there more than one 'Night Mode' type setting?

I have PIR's upstairs and downstairs and would like to arm the system in tow ways.....

The first where I am in the house in the evening and neither PIR is active and then another option where I go to bed and can arm everything except the downstairs PIR?

Is this possible?

Thanks

Yes, it can be done. Check out "Group mode".
    Just add all the perimeter devices to one group and create another for PIRs on each level. You can then arm the perimeter using the app when you're in the house and enable night mode on the PIR at bed time. It might be an idea to disable "arm in night mode" for the devices you don't want to arm at night. They'll still work fine once you enable everything.

Yes, it can be done. Check out "Group mode".
    Just add all the perimeter devices to one group and create another for PIRs on each level. You can then arm the perimeter using the app when you're in the house and enable night mode on the PIR at bed time. It might be an idea to disable "arm in night mode" for the devices you don't want to arm at night. They'll still work fine once you enable everything.

Thanks for that, have it set up now this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Hi all,

Have run alarm wire to everything. Can I use that for this system or is it all wireless?

Is it recommended to get this from HomeSecure or would you say it would make sense to order it from eBay (and then use my own SIM Card) and get the electrician to install it?

Advertisement