Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ajax wireless alarm system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Ajax had announced a new line of wired systems to sync in with Hub 2 etc, called Fibra.

I was looking / waiting to see hoe it would work for the keypad as I have a wire for a keypad. Probably just wire that to a panic alarm instead.

Callous to talk about it with what's going on but hopefully they can keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

I've just started wiring up an ajax multi transmitter today. My new build house was prewired so I picked up some HKC Slim Reed/Shock Sensors. I've already installed a Hub 2 and a few Ajax PIR cameras.

It's my first attempt at wiring security system so it was baby steps today, first tracing all the wires with a multimeter and then doing up a sketch of how I wanted the zones, and just now did a test install in the attic with a few sort bits of cable and a few sensors. Below is what I've set up after some trial and error, I was fairly excited when it actually worked. Hopefully the sketch below can help any other newbies out there, I presume it's similar wiring for other systems.

The X shows where I've just twisted two wires together in the housing of the sensor. The house is wired with 6 core cable, single cable for doors and loops for windows. But there are only 2 window loops downstairs and 1 window loop upstairs. I'd like to have a few more zones so when an alarm goes off I'll know which room it's in rather than which side of the house it's on. So I haven't wired the tampers and used those wires to get another zone on the same cable (Black and Red above).

To get the Ajax system to recognise the sensors I had to change the device detector type from pulse to bistable. For the shocks to trigger I had to change the pulse time to 20msec, when set at 100 msec it wouldn't trigger. The reed was fine at 100msec.

I'm going to start the proper wiring over weekend but just wondering if there is anything I'm missing or if I could be a bit more savy with how I'm doing things? Let me know what you think.

Oh yeah the sensors didn't come with screws, what type/size of screws do you generally use for the HKC Slim. Will a 16mm be ok for the sensor without going too far into the PVC frame and causing air tightness problems? I couldn't find a good fitting screw for the magnet though since it needs to be much longer.

Do you generally drill a pilot hole before screwing on the sensor/magnet?

I was thinking of just double sided taping the sensors and magnets onto the frames, any downfall in doing this?

Post edited by Brianb8802 on

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭you2008

Thanks Rob,

just did a short calculation on both site, ~€280 cheaper go with Best alarm. ( all VAT incl without cost of shipping), are they 100% same products?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Anywhere to see recommended setup structure. With 4 external doors and several large windows (odd shaped house) I am have questions like should I have protectors on every door, or do people load up on motion detectors?

house has an old system wired- with pretty much every window upstairs and downstairs covered. I’m thinking to ignore all that - but maybe I should be leveraging it?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 exile07

Hi, so I have the option of adding maco tronic sensors built into all the new windows and doors that I am getting. Does anyone have any experience of integrating these into the multi transmitter?

Or maybe I should not go down this route and just keep everything wireless? The inbuilt sensors would be neater in my opinion. Its just the integration that I would not be confident in doing.

I should add that the house is being completely gutted and renovated so wiring is not an issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I got an email from Ajax last week saying that there's a new multi transmitter coming out and it can connect to any wired detector with dry contacts.

They have added 2EOL and 3EOL capabilities.

It's on pre order at the moment but it's in mass production so it shouldn't be too long before it's available.

Here's the blog post about it:

https://ajax.systems/blog/multitransmitter-3eol-support-and-additional-alarm-types/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 exile07

Oh interesting! Thanks

Any recommendations for doors/window sensors (wired) that'd be compatible with this? I know 'most are' - but am a bit lost on what to source.

Think overall goal is to use all of the wired up spots in my house back to a multi transmitter, and then expand out anything else via AJAX's wireless.

I went with the HKC Slim inc reed switch and didn't have any issues. I would have liked something a bit smaller but in the end they have all been installed behind the window blinds so I can't see them anyway. I've used the same on the doors. I got mine for about €14-15 from the local wholesaler.

Also added two standard Ajax wireless motion detectors, two Ajax wireless motion detectors with cameras and two Ajax wireless door/window sensors.

Very easy to set up, and wiring wasn't too bad after spending a bit of time figuring out how to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 LighterThanAir

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Ajax system and install it myself. I've been reading the threads and there's a lot of useful info here. However, I couldn't find an answer for a question I have.

I want to install the external siren, I know it's battery powered, but I'm thinking to have it powered up, however I don't know how I would go about it. It's a new build, and it's not pre-wired. I have noticed that some houses on the development already has their bell boxes installed, and they're all located on the same place, so I wonder if there's a cable hidden under the facade or are those battery-powered too?

Is the external siren weatherproof enough to sit in the front of the house? Anyone has done that and can share some details?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

Can you post links or model numbers for the bits you intend to install?

“Roll it back”

Looking at the following (Codes from megateh.eu as I can't post links):

• Hub: 20294
    • DoorProtect: 9999
    • CombiProtect: 7170
    • Indoor Siren: 8697
    • Outdoor Siren: 7830

Still working out the quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

That outdoor siren can take an external 12v supply. You have drill a small hole in the bracket for the wire - see end of this page for details:

https://support.ajax.systems/en/manuals/streetsiren/?amp

“Roll it back”

Id be surprised if there is a hidden wire if nothing else is wired (and even if it was wired).

Should be easy enough keep the bell box tight to soffit and run power cable into house that way?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Most systems nowadays are wireless. I’d imagine the bell boxes you see are not wired. I set up an Ajax outdoor siren -about three years so far & still plenty of juice in the battery. I considered wiring it also , but the battery is doing fine. have had no issues…weatherproof …happy out 👍

When setting up the options -you can turn off unessary beeps / led flashes on the siren (when you arm/disarm) …you don’t need that function and will have the battery last way longer 👍✨

When fixing the (smaller square) plate to the wall I used rubber washers as a buffer between the concrete and plastic- peace of mind in case the plastic might crack when screwing the unit to the wall.

En easy enough job.

Yes, that was my thought. I ended up ringing one of the alarm system companies and the guy said that indeed they are dummy wireless boxes running on battery, none of those on new build houses would have a wired power supply as they simply don't do that anymore.

Thanks, that's good feedback! I ended up buying the outdoor siren, as I understood is weatherproof, also good to have your experience as a confirmation.

I'll keep that in mind when fixing mine, you're not the first person to say that the plates are quite “fragile”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Hi! Purchased a property which came with an Ajax system. I contacted Home Secure and they aren't willing to give me access to it (replace account) or transfer ownership even though the previous owners would have paid for the managed service for several years. Did I end up with an alarm system that I can either replace or be forced to pay Home Secure a monthly fee? I simply want to run this via the Ajax app without any managed monitoring on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'd call them again and negotiate a release fee... They'll let you have it, they probably want you to pay them... If that fails I'd get on to Ajax, because HomeSecure is a partner of theirs & it would be a good look for either of them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. Tried the Ajax route, they need an invoice from the original owners which is not available to us. Ajax actually just replied and recommended to replace the hub with a new one and then reconnect the sensors.

I might try the release fee suggestion but the sales guy made it very clear that they don't hand over admin access. I do understand that it goes against their business model.

My contract is out with them shortly, I have an agreement since purchase to release the system back to me at the end of the contract period.

That was my understanding as well. I might try the release fee route or alternatively purchase a new hub which might be the lesser evil.

Were/are you happy with the tech itself and the app?

Yeh happy out, but with HomeSecure, the app is largely locked down, so I'm looking forward to having more control over the system.

never had an app issue with HomeSecure. But assumed they would release details after contract up?

😎

Has anyone ever found this Fibra available anywhere? Or any way to get it installed?

Have been ridiculously lazy and don't think I'm confident enough anymore to waste too much more time faffing - my house is already completely wired through for sensors - but have nothing set up. Ideally I'd find an installer in Dublin that would be able to source and install - but think only HomeSecure do Ajax and they only have he wireless available afaik.

So - you can try instead to look at the Multitransmitter and standard non Ajax contact sensors etc.

So you'd get:

Multitransmitter

Hub

Wireless devices

Works well for me.

Haven't seen Fibra anywhere.

yeah aware of MultiTransmitter - all DIY though I believe as HomeSecure don't support it - or didn't last time I spoke to them - and don't want to double up on sensors.

Might have to find an alternative wired system / installers!

Yeah, it would be a case of buying the items all yourself.

Not ideal as you can't be sure how to wire a sensor properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just wondering if you managed to wire the whole system? Would you have any pictures of how you wired the sensors and then also how you wired the zones into the multi transmitter? On my windows most of them have two wires but one or two of the windows only have one wire.

It would be great to know if you followed a guide for tracing the wires and knowing which ones were looped. Would I be able to test that now with just the wires exposed and a multimeter?

Advertisement