Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ajax wireless alarm system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Do any companies in Ireland actually supply and fit Ajax systems? I want a mix of wired and wireless e.g. siren, windows, doors and motion detector are already wired. I want to add pir cameras, outdoor cameras and a DVR to the system, the cameras also being wireless.

Everyone I spoke to is HKC and the one that did Ajax is wireless only.

It's a new build for an elderly couple so nothing is installed so far.

HomeSecure are the only irish company - https://www.homesecure.ie/

And they are wireless only

Thanks, yes full wireless isn't of interest to me. I'm looking for wired for the main core of the alarm system e.g. sensors, siren etc. as I work abroad for weeks at a time and I have had issues with wireless systems in the past that were mostly an easy fix but not so for an elderly person who can't use a smartphone.

Could anyone recommend the best Ajax set-up in my scenario? Cost isn't much of a factor and I will just buy the kit and pay a local PSA registered installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My monitoring contract has ended & I'll be able to manage the system myself (mid Oct.), I'm looking forward to taking control and being able to manage settings myself. I will say that the monitoring from Home Secure wasn't bad & offers some peace of mind.

I'm considering adding a set of wireless/proximity access cards, & would need to upgrade to the Keypad Plus. I'm just wondering if anyone has or is using them and whether you find them worthwhile?

I like the idea of using them to give to trades, or people who come in and out, without having to give them the code...

lol, have people given up on Ajax? Is there something better now? So quiet here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I have the keypad plus and I have the pass and the tag. They both work well and the pass obviously fits in a wallet and the tag is light on a set of keys.

Personally I tend to use the remote or just the code. Either the pass or the tag would be better for someone who can’t remember a code for example.

I’m pretty sure you can configure a temporary code in the app (or create a user for a generic person) and then give that code to the tradesman and activate/deactivate and change as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thats just Boards in general. It isn’t the hive of activity it once was.

I'd say most people who want alarms have them or have enough details to get them so don't need to frequent this thread.

There's a big announcement from Ajax later this week, so that might drive traffic about their new products (NVRs are rumoured).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

I've just placed an order with extradigital.eu with free delivery?!!

I'm a bit worried that it's dodgy... But saving at least €30 of the order is decent. I was only ordering a couple of fobs.

Rang HomeSecure this morning and waiting for them to hand over the operation of the app for me... Does anyone know how that is done? Do I get a code to upgrade my account to full admin or is it done on the back end?

Post edited by Bluefoam on

• & there you have it, I can confirm that after my three year contract, Home Secure have given me control of the app. I have to say, I was very happy with their service up to now & there is value in the monitoring!

• Advertisement

Anyone know any Ajax installers in the Kildare area that will do a mix of wired and wireless? House is prewired so would like to use the wiring that is there and wireless for anything else.

If you find them / anyone - please feed back. Would appreciate a wired installer - but don't believe I can find one!

Some big announcements from Ajax today including cameras and NVRs. Might not be the best spec ever but integrates with the alarm system and isn't Chinese government supported (if that's a worry for you).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 linthum

hi homesecure currently offering 50% off their monthly memberhship at 17.50 for 6 months and regular 34.50 for rest of the months. you can own the system outright at end of the year. has anyone owned the system from homesecure? is it straight forward to use the app afterwards? like adding removing new sensors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

I have a self installed system, but if you have full access to the app once your contract is up with them then its easy to add new sensors etc

You have to add the new sensors through their system & I believe they charge about €5/month per additional sensor. The app is locked down until you've paid off the contract (usually 3 years), & you can't change perimeters to suit your needs. I found them good... the monitoring was grand, but actually got in the way a couple of times the alarm actually went off... stopped me checking cameras etc...

I was happy with them, but also happy to take control of the system when the contract ended & change some settings to suit my needs and to add some accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Thats good info thanks - sounds good - but can anyone give a link to confirm for sure then if its 12 months you own the system or 3 years?

Thats a difference in cost of either 312 or 1140(or more if they up prices halfway through) - cheers!

“Roll it back”

I was on call with them yesterday, their sales team sent a quote to me which has options to own the system outright

Purchase price:

1st year €400

2nd year €200

3rd year, you own it outright 

when i was on phone with their sales team yesterday they mentioned the contract is for 12 months, 3 months is the notice period before 12 months contract ends to own the system for a price. did you have purchase the system after 1 year or 3 years. and may i know the monthly cost you're paying. i feel like 34.50 is bit steep side

I just signed up for three years and completed that. I was happy enough to go through them for the duration of the contract... The cost over three years was just above the cost of ordering the gear myself... plus they fit it.

• Advertisement

Hey can you share the price overall you paid and Monthly payments if possible please. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Same for me, 30e a month, do 3 years and you own the hardware, have not asked about cost to exit before that - as its basically the same price but by staying you effectively get free monitoring compared to paying to exit

😎

How much hardware do you actually get for your €1080 euro?

Is there a standard package or is it tailored to your premises?

I think the standard setup is 7 items of hardware, (it's probably best to ask HomeSecure, they seem to change the offer regularly)... they then tailor that to suit your house... I got a mix of PIR's and window/door sensors and decided against a remote, because I wanted an extra sensor. When I took over the system I added some fobs and may expand the alarm to cover the shed & to add curtain sensors in the upstairs window.

Has anyone used the curtain sensors? I'd like to add them to the upstairs windows but don't want them detecting stuff outside/on the street... I don't want regular sensors up there, as I tend to leave windows open.

https://www.extradigital.eu/ajax-smart-security-system/ajax-motionprotect-curtain-white_000012972

I have 7 sensors/PIRs, at the time I recall it was about 6-700e of hardware, and monitoring is usually ~200 a year elsewhere. so it was fair value and included install

😎

7 sensors/pirs/fobs that are interchangeable? I guess that means the lower end Doorprotect, Motionprotect and Spacecontrol then? Roughly €30 each and not the "Plus" models which are approx €50-65. I presume it's the basic Hub2 (another €200) and maybe a StreetSiren (€90). That's about €500 worth of hardware plus installation. Not too bad I guess.

If you are any way handy, it's still way cheaper to source and install yourself.

I have one and it does what it says on the tin. No spurious detections.

I also have the outdoor version and apart from when Magpies fly up from the ground close to it, it rarely triggers erroneously either.

Possibly - but then not sure insurance would discount, although that may not be worth it anyway. I generally count my pennies, I thought it was very fair pricing. I could self install but id waste a day researching and getting it right, which is worth 100-200 in itself to avoid.

😎

• Advertisement

Never avail of the insurance discount. If you don't get the alarm serviced regularly or don't happen to have the alarm armed when you are burgled, they will do everything in their power to weasel out of paying. Best to avoid the issue should it ever arise by not seeking a discount.

Advertisement