Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

CMHnXTQUwAAIc0Q.jpg

:pac:

Jordan on twitter tonight saying McCann has an 8 week ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Jayop, any definitive confirmation of that rumour. I can't find anything official, wondering if you've seen anything more concrete than Jordan's tweets?

James74 wrote: »
    Jayop, any definitive confirmation of that rumour. I can't find anything official, wondering if you've seen anything more concrete than Jordan's tweets?

I'm all over Twitter here but nothing official. It's exploded though with plenty of former inter county players from different counties commenting like its a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

All I can find is teamtalkmag reporting a "source".

• Advertisement

Hard to know, balls.ie reporting it too but no big national media yet. A few Tyrone journos talking about it.

I feel really sorry for the lad now. You'd have to be concerned for his mental health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I reckon it's just a rumour that grew legs. A ban would only lead to an even bigger ****storm, and there's no way it would stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

So looks like an 8 week ban for Mc'Cann for 'bringing the game into disrepute'.
    Its a disgrace. Why now. Why this time? Why not Aidan O'Mahoney, why not Michael Shields? Why not all the other instances over the years ( which do include Tyrone as well )..
    I am glad they are taking action against it as it is not something i like in our game and it should be stamped out, but why start enforcing it now???
    GAA bowing to RTE again.
    The wording of the charge is harsh ie: 'Bringing the game into disrepute' . It brings a minimum ban of 8 weeks and max ban of omission from the organisation. What he done does not warrant him to be in this category.
    The proper charge should be 'feigning injury or diving' which carries a punishment of a yellow card.
    Surely the correct way to handle this was to let it go, just like all the other examples over the years and come out in the summer and lay down the law, and change the feigning injury rule so that it can be dealt with after the game if referee has got it wrong/or missed it. And up the punishment for the crime to whatever number of weeks they want.
    Tyrone will most definitely appeal and i just cant see the GAA managing to make it stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

JB81 wrote: »
    Its a disgrace. Why now. Why this time? Why not Aidan O'Mahoney, why not Michael Shields? Why not all the other instances over the years ( which do include Tyrone as well )..
    I am glad they are taking action against it as it is not something i like in our game and it should be stamped out, but why start enforcing it now???
    GAA bowing to RTE again.
    The wording of the charge is harsh ie: 'Bringing the game into disrepute' . It brings a minimum ban of 8 weeks and max ban of omission from the organisation. What he done does not warrant him to be in this category.
    The proper charge should be 'feigning injury or diving' which carries a punishment of a yellow card.
    Surely the correct way to handle this was to let it go, just like all the other examples over the years and come out in the summer and lay down the law, and change the feigning injury rule so that it can be dealt with after the game if referee has got it wrong/or missed it. And up the punishment for the crime to whatever number of weeks they want.
    Tyrone will most definitely appeal and i just cant see the GAA managing to make it stick.

Youz can blame Colm O Rourke. Another example of the kettle calling the pot black.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Here it is on RTÉ:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0812/720713-eight-week-ban-proposed-for-tiernan-mccann/

Absolutely scandalous that they are talking about punishing him in that regard.

Takes all the attention of Kerry now. Waiting in the long-grass. Cute hoors. Jesus, every fupping time with that shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Here it is on RTÉ:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0812/720713-eight-week-ban-proposed-for-tiernan-mccann/

Absolutely scandalous that they are talking about punishing him in that regard.

Takes all the attention of Kerry now. Waiting in the long-grass. Cute hoors. Jesus, every fupping time with that shower.

If he hadn't dived to get someone sent off he wouldn't be in this situation. 'He did it and didn't get punished' is not a defence however annoyed it might make you.

sabhail wrote: »
    If he hadn't dived to get someone sent off he wouldn't be in this situation. 'He did it and didn't get punished' is not a defence however annoyed it might make you.

That he's getting punished isn't teh annoying part, it's the inconsistency in a season where we have already had 2-3 high profile incidents of a similar nature where there was no sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭lukin

Its a disgrace. Why now. Why this time? Why not Aidan O'Mahoney, why not Michael Shields?

The Aidan O' Mahoney incident happened seven years ago so there's no chance of him being charged for that. It was exactly the same thing though but there wasn't a big issue made of it because Spillane was on the Sunday Game that time. With Michael Shields the guy who pushed him wasn't sent off so there wasn't any "injustice". Still I believe if there is to be consistency then Shields should also be suspended (I am from Cork by the way).
    McCann is being scapegoated, there's no doubt about that but it's just the times we live in I'm afraid. Maybe if he had apologised the ban would have been shorter.

lukin wrote: »
    The Aidan O' Mahoney incident happened seven years ago so there's no chance of him being charged for that. It was exactly the same thing though but there wasn't a big issue made of it because Spillane was on the Sunday Game that time. With Michael Shields the guy who pushed him wasn't sent off so there wasn't any "injustice". Still I believe if there is to be consistency then Shields should also be suspended (I am from Cork by the way).
    McCann is being scapegoated, there's no doubt about that but it's just the times we live in I'm afraid. Maybe if he had apologised the ban would have been shorter.

That's a decent point.

He shouldn't have to apologise for the ban to be shortened though. He shouldn't be banned for such a length full-stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

As much as I would like to see this type of behaviour lead to players been banned it doesn't allow for it in the rule book as it is clearly stated that this is an offence and that the punishment is a yellow card.

See rul 5.4 of the official guide.

CCCC have seriously fcuked up her on the back of pressure from RTE & O'Rourke

As much as I would like to see this type of behaviour lead to players been banned it doesn't allow for it in the rule book as it is clearly stated that this is an offence and that the punishment is a yellow card.

See rul 5.4 of the official guide.

CCCC have seriously fcuked up here on the back of pressure from RTE & O'Rourke

An apology would be no good to him at any point as the GAA have shoe horned the only offence on to them they possibly could with the punishment range 8 weeks - to expulsion from the GAA. If they applied the rule which applies to his situation then RTE would not have got their suspension!

An apology would be no good to him at any point as the GAA have shoe horned the only offence on to them they possibly could with the punishment range 8 weeks - to expulsion from the GAA. If they applied the rule which applies to his situation then RTE would not have got their suspension!

I do think if he had come out publicly and said "OK I made an ass of myself, I wasn't thinking, I'm really sorry etc. etc." then he wouldn't have got such a long suspension. He just said nothing and Mickey Harte then defended him (I can understand why he did by the way).
    It's like the Suarez suspension in a way. He got such a long ban because he (and Liverpool) were so unapologetic.

I do think if he had come out publicly and said "OK I made an ass of myself, I wasn't thinking, I'm really sorry etc. etc." then he wouldn't have got such a long suspension. He just said nothing and Mickey Harte then defended him (I can understand why he did by the way).
    It's like the Suarez suspension in a way. He got such a long ban because he (and Liverpool) were so unapologetic.

I think your missing my point here due to what GAA charged him with the minimum he could get was 8 weeks!! If they applied the rule which is the official guide to deal with this they couldn't suspend him at all.

Anyone who has even a vague knowledge of the rule book realise that he will be getting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

That's a decent point.

He shouldn't have to apologise for the ban to be shortened though. He shouldn't be banned for such a length full-stop.

Its irrelevant if anyone was sent off because of the dive or not. If they were it should be appealed by the relevant County Board as a separate issue.
    Just because no one was sent off after Shields does not make what he and Mc'Cann done as any different!!!

• Advertisement

That he's getting punished isn't teh annoying part, it's the inconsistency in a season where we have already had 2-3 high profile incidents of a similar nature where there was no sanction.

I agree and the only way the gaa can deal with it is to treat any future incidents in same way... But the whole ,'what about...whoever' is just trying to find reasons why he should escape sanction for something which,like what many players before him did, is unacceptable.

If O'Donoghue does same thing against Tyrone he should be treated same way.. As should anyone else from now on.

An utter disgrace and more evidence of the ****e we put up with.

Jesus whatever happens the kerry lads are laughing. Preparation ****e, ref influenced for next game, young lads head not right.

This is scandalous.

I think the whole rte hates Tyrone thing, while it maybe true, ignores the simple fact that most gaa supporters irrespective of county thought what he did was unacceptable and didn't need rte to tell them it was.

Jayop wrote: »
    Preparation ****e, ref influenced for next game, young lads head not right.

Look, we know he's a cheat and he dived, but saying his head is not right is a bit extreme. What made you draw that conclusion? Was he diagnosed with a condition? What's this all about?

I think your missing my point here due to what GAA charged him with the minimum he could get was 8 weeks!! If they applied the rule which is the official guide to deal with this they couldn't suspend him at all.

Anyone who has even a vague knowledge of the rule book realise that he will be getting off.

OK I didn't know eight weeks was the minimum suspension for what he was charged with so I suppose he had to get that if they charged him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jesus whatever happens the kerry lads are laughing. Preparation ****e, ref influenced for next game, young lads head not right.

This is scandalous.

Have they not got him to a hairdressers yet? :confused:

Its irrelevant if anyone was sent off because of the dive or not. If they were it should be appealed by the relevant County Board as a separate issue.
    Just because no one was sent off after Shields does not make what he and Mc'Cann done as any different!!!

It's not irrelevant because you and I know that it's not the incident but the furore surrounding the incident that has caused McCann to be scapegoated.

So I think it is a valid statement to make the distinction that if Geaney/Moran??? (HELP!) had been sent off then there might have been a bit of a hullaballoo. It is Kerry after all.
    I agree and the only way the gaa can deal with it is to treat any future incidents in same way... But the whole ,'what about...whoever' is just trying to find reasons why he should escape sanction for something which,like what many players before him did, is unacceptable.

You're not wile wrong there. And I think Tyrone supporters and myself would accept that. But it seems so heavy-handed and out of no where that it sticks in the craw.
    If O'Donoghue does same thing against Tyrone he should be treated same way.. As should anyone else from now on.

He should be. But this isn't the same.

The CCCC should have stated that within the rules he could be charge with "disrepute" and that going forawrd all similar incidents would be treated as such. Now that's fair.

This is scandalous.

Calm it.
    I think the whole rte hates Tyrone thing, while it maybe true, ignores the simple fact that most gaa supporters irrespective of county thought what he did was unacceptable and didn't need rte to tell them it was.

But most GAA supporters don't get to make a meal of it and cause a scandal.

Being at the game and the fact that I can't really stomach the SG means I missed out on what was said so I have to read reports and the like.

My abiding memory after both matches from talking to people was 1. Monaghan were naive. 2. Mayo over-ran Donegal's midfield. 3. Marty Duffy is a scourge on the game.

Bambi wrote: »
    Have they not got him to a headressers yet? :confused:

Like Wurzel Gummidge?

Look, we know he's a cheat and he dived, but saying his head is not right is a bit extreme. What made you draw that conclusion? Was he diagnosed with a condition? What's this all about?

I wasnt referring to a mental condition, I was referring to the stress and anxiety he's under. But not that you mention it the mental state of a 22 year old amateur would worry me after 4 days of being public and media enemy no 1.

• Advertisement

Hey did you hear Eva Carneiro is taking over as the new Tyrone physio?That explains everything. The'll be going down with groin strains and everything now :)

Advertisement