Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Bambi wrote: »
    Madness to sign off on anything based off pre covid commuting levels.

People still use public transport believe it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Peregrine wrote: »
    You know damn well that the €2bn is not the cost of the network redesign.

Yeah I'm aware.

I'm mixed about this. On one hand I'm delighted they are investing in proper orbital services meaning you can travel places without having to ho through the city centre as well as shorter local routes. On the other hand I think a lot of it is just renumbering existing routes which to me is a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bambi wrote: »
    Madness to sign off on anything based off pre covid commuting levels.

Absolutely is not.

We were already under-resourced; this implementation was to stand-still.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The real fun will start when they try widening roads etc and TDs from the constituency start making a fuss and the whole thing goes to sh*t and we end up with some mickey mouse version of the original plan because people don't realise cities change and gardens need to get smaller or sometimes you may even have to knock down and redevelop whole areas for the greater good, like they do in proper cities. Look at something like the Westway built in London in the 60s, they had to demolish loads of dwellings and all sorts to get it done, this country will never have the vision or leadership or the cojones required for these kinds of things, and we'll carry on building semi-ds and one offs and the usual sh*te forever and ever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm mixed about this. On one hand I'm delighted they are investing in proper orbital services meaning you can travel places without having to ho through the city centre as well as shorter local routes. On the other hand I think a lot of it is just renumbering existing routes which to me is a bit pointless.

I think that this is more of a testament to the effectiveness of Network Direct (remember that). They're getting it right, they just took the scenic route to getting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My orbital route, the S8 from Dún Laoghaire to Citywest, has a small problem with the rollout of this new route network.

Why did the NTA not give a date for the CBC consultations when the final bus network report was published yesterday?

When I heard that the CBC proposals will go through another round of consultation later this year; it's appears that will be some delay with the traffic light island at Temple Hill in Blackrock for the Blackrock to Merrion corridor. When the S8 travels past the Junction of Newtownpark Avenue on Stradbrook Road; it's meant to have a right hand turn in place for the bus to turn right from Temple Hill for it to travel down Monkstown Road for the remainder of it's route to Dún Laoghaire.

The current traffic lights at that location don't offer a right hand turn there to make the plan for the S8 work atm. Cars waiting at those lights have to go straight ahead & turn right at the next junction near Newtown Avenue in Blackrock.

Are the NTA releasing the CBC consultations all in one go this time to finish them off or will they go out again on a phased basis?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My orbital route, the S8 from Dún Laoghaire to Citywest, has a small problem with the rollout of this new route network.

Why did the NTA not give a date for the CBC consultations when the final bus network report was published yesterday?

When I heard that the CBC proposals will go through another round of consultation later this year; it's appears that will be some delay with the traffic light island at Temple Hill in Blackrock for the Blackrock to Merrion corridor. When the S8 travels past the Junction of Newtownpark Avenue on Stradbrook Road; it's meant to have a right hand turn in place for the bus to turn right from Temple Hill for it to travel down Monkstown Road for the remainder of it's route to Dún Laoghaire.

The current traffic lights at that location don't offer a right hand turn there to make the plan for the S8 work atm. Cars waiting at those lights have to go straight ahead & turn right at the next junction near Newtown Avenue in Blackrock.

Are the NTA releasing the CBC consultations all in one go this time to finish them off or will they go out again on a phased basis?

There's going to be infrastructure works as part of the roll out of the new network, separate to the CBC project, so that issue will get fixed before launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Happy enough with the new plan clondalkin managed to get a couple of extra routes and kept what it had previous, the local from red cow luas to leixlip opens up alot of new direct journeys clondalkin villiage to Lúcán villiage or Fonthill Road to red cow luas, hopefully they just get on with it and make the switch now, looks a decent overall improvement to what we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It all sounds good overall. But how many years will it take to implement.

Is there any chance that "easy" routes could be rolled out first. Thinking of routes like Lucan to CC down the N4 and Chapelizod by pass. All they have to do there is install a pull in bus stop at the top of Chapelizod Hill on both sides for example. Anyway I am sure I will be told I am talking through my swizz.

Other areas come to mind too. Wouldn't it be better to gradually introduce changes where there is minimal disruption and let people see the benefits relatively early in the process?

• Advertisement

The easiest way to implement it would be to change the ones that are almost as identical to the current routes, ie. the Lucan spine. In addition to this, the local and orbital routes will effectively ADD to the network anyway with no loss anywhere, so when they change the more contentious routes/spines they are being added into an already extant new network rather than being changed to no seeming advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wouldn't it be better to gradually introduce changes where there is minimal disruption and let people see the benefits relatively early in the process?
    You have to be careful. Living in perpetual change is not good.

While there are probably advantages to a certain amount of phasing (the orbitals, the north county Dublin and Wicklow routes could be done in advance), a 'big bang' during a quiet period, e.g. summer, is probably the best way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Victor wrote: »
    You have to be careful. Living in perpetual change is not good.

While there are probably advantages to a certain amount of phasing (the orbitals, the north county Dublin and Wicklow routes could be done in advance), a 'big bang' during a quiet period, e.g. summer, is probably the best way to go about it.

They should have it ready to roll out during the next Covid wave, and requisite restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Personally i think it just needs to be done in one go with info brochures sent to every household the week before.

Personally i think it just needs to be done in one go with info brochures sent to every household the week before.

I would agree.

But remember the chaos and confusion that Network Direct caused.

The thoughts of Liveline the week of a Big Bang implementation would be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

The thoughts of Liveline the week of a Big Bang implementation would be something else.

It would help if the politicians and the media could read and understand the plan too - I think the spines were too much for some.

But at the end of the day it's just bus lines, it can't be that hard for most people to figure out which bus to take? Might be confusing the first day, but after that? Surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think realistically, the phased implementation is more for Dublin Bus' comprehension and practicalities than anything else. Each individual person in Dublin is only going to be doing 1 or 2 different return journeys most of the time. That means each individual only has to figure out a very small piece of the overall network.

There's nothing particularly taxing in that that requires such a long, phased approach. But it's phased because there are humans involved with driving the buses, and there may be unexpected practical hiccups that arise from the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Killinarden is going from the never-ending magical mystery tour of the 77A to the epic odyssey of the 82. I know pax can change to something more direct in the square but that 82 really does look like the inevitable end product of trying to please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Is there any logic to the non-spine radial route numbers? They appear to be randomly selected and almost completely different to the pre-consultation plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

Is there any logic to the non-spine radial route numbers? They appear to be randomly selected and almost completely different to the pre-consultation plan.

Anti clockwise 1 to 100. from Howth (6) to Loughlinstown (98). From what it looks like to me.

• Advertisement

Fizzy Duck wrote: »
    Anti clockwise 1 to 100. from Howth (6) to Loughlinstown (98). From what it looks like to me.

They also seem to all be numbers which aren't used atm.

john boye wrote: »

But a lot of them have been used in the past by CIE/Dublin Bus over the decades.

But a lot of them have been used in the past by CIE/Dublin Bus over the decades.

I guess "atm" isn't enough for everyone...

john boye wrote: »

37 is still the same route and number by the looks of things however the 98 which is the same as the 7a albeit at reduced frequency has a different number and the new route 21 looks to be the same as the 43

GT89 wrote: »
    37 is still the same route and number by the looks of things however the 98 which is the same as the 7a albeit at reduced frequency has a different number and the new route 21 looks to be the same as the 43

Hadn't actually noticed the 37!

Keeping the 37 and the slight change in route took me by surprise. Are they really going to reintroduce 2 way double decker bus movements on Aughrim st? It used to be a complete disaster, buses reversing and trying to reach each other on the radio. Maybe it'll remain as is until they do the cbc work in Stoneybatter so there won't be much other traffic on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

The new 37 was added to the final plan in response to feedback that the Clonsilla Road had no service and that there was no link to the new Grangegorman campus.

The 34 is the main intended replacement for the 37. Avoiding Blackhorse Avenue is likely to be quite popular!

There's a new short TFI youtube video about bus priority corridors out today.

It shows us how the bus will be able to get ahead of the traffic on a CBC from a priority signalled junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There's a new short TFI youtube video about bus priority corridors out today.

It shows us how the bus will be able to get ahead of the traffic on a CBC from a priority signalled junction.

So like Rathgar road into rathmines for example and it never works.

• Advertisement

Great theory but as we see on Bachelors walk, what if Motorists beat the system and simply drive in the bus lane? There is currently no effective deterrent from doing so and government is opposed to introducing one.

Advertisement