Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options
  • 25-02-2017 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Following on from the Wii u thread this is a new one specifically for the Switch.

Mod edit: There have been a spate of personal attacks recently, and it will not be tolerated. Next person to do so will be getting a ban, without any further warnings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Congrats. How'd you get it early?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Congrats. How'd you get it early?

Parcel Motel. Just setting up the thread so when it is realised everyone can give their opinions on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

But the title is a lie. You don't have one. And you have to live with the guilt for 5 days. By Wednesday morning you could be Gollum. For your own sake, remove the capitalization on the S and we can talk about toggling lights or beating unruly urchins till the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Banjo wrote: »
    But the title is a lie. You don't have one. And you have to live with the guilt for 5 days. By Wednesday morning you could be Gollum. For your own sake, remove the capitalization on the S and we can talk about toggling lights or beating unruly urchins till the big day.

Well the I have a Wii u general discussion thread was created before the creator of the thread had one so I don't see why this should be any different.

If you do everything the same as with the WiiU, you're jinxing Nintendo to follow suit. When the Switch sells badly and is dogged by persistent complaints of consumer confusion, poor marketing and a lack of 3rd party support, its on you...

So, you reckon the snipperclips joycon bundle is a ruse to stop us buying extras at launch, which gives Ninty 7 days to figure out and fix the signal issues?

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82008502

This was my first input in that thread. I forget how I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

da gamer wrote: »
    Following on from the Wii u thread this is a new one specifically for the Switch. You can keep the Wii u thread open if you want Mod cheers.

Thanks for your permission. ;) And I agree, it is a bit early for this thread, like just short of a week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thread open too early as it's not yet owned by anyone.
    The WiiU thread was opened as it was, due to GS breaking street date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

You can pick one up in Peru!

wtlltw wrote: »
    You can pick one up in Peru!

I saw someone complain about it on Reddit. Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You're all liars! None of you have one yet!
    I'll lock this thread up for now, time enough to people actually have their switches! Let the other threads continue till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some people in the other thread are already playing with their new consoles, so it's time to split off the discussion. :)

Come on people, we want details!

22.5 hours for me to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

And don't forget the pics! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To be fair to the poster of that thread, wasn't there a thread created earlier and locked until it was released?
    Think be midnight for me after some consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Picked up my Switch about an hour ago! She's a beautiful little thing! The Joy-Cons feel really great in my hands including in the grip, but I don't have the biggest hands anyway, so probably could see why there have been many complaints about them maybe being a bit small, or awkward to hold in the grip.

IMG_20170302_110511Edit.jpg

Love the menu sounds, if anything it left me being disappointed that getting through the menus to the main menu was so quick! As of last trying, the Day 1 patch was still unavailable, but I haven't tried since the top of the hour, so I guess it may have gone live for New Zealand? No games to test out on it yet either, as they were in a separate order.

Couple of funny-ish stories already I guess. After hearing so much of how quiet the fan was in handheld mode, I was so surprised to hear a noise, I thought it was actually the speakers having a bad static noise to them, as it started right as the first menu noise happened. Haven't heard the fan since though, so it really is quiet. Hopefully it isn't too noticeable when playing games on the go.

Also noticed the "Switch" noise/chime/click we all know and love that happens when you insert the controller plays just before the Joy-Cons are fully in the sides of the tablet. Tried lifting it after the noise not realising that there was a small bit more travel to go for them to fully click and lock in. Would have been just my luck for it to smash to the floor, but luckily the tablet didn't slide out too much so I was able to catch it in time, so be careful with that too!

Apologies that I don't have the best of pictures yet. Also apologies for the dust too, the insides of the box were actually quite dirty and dusty. Probably because it wasn't even sealed at all, just the cardboard box within even a bit of tape.

Really feels small, fast, sleek and modern overall. Especially with the UI, not only compared to the Wii U/3DS, but even the PS4 and Xbox One. Can't wait to try some games on it tonight/tomorrow too!

Edit: Just to add after playing around with the left Con for a bit, it would have been nice to have had a proper d-pad. I didn't think it would bother me too much, and it probably won't for many games, but the directional buttons certainly do make me feel like I need a Pro Controller. They still feel good, but it's the main feature that sticks out now that I can get a feel for the distance between the buttons with my thumb.

Day 1 patch is downloading now too. Relatively small, didn't see a size but I'm guessing it's less than 500MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Damn you and your perfectly manicured fingernails. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What amperage is the given charger lads? :)

The neon joycons really do pop more than I was expecting them to. I went for the grey cons because it'll match everything I own but I feel a bit of buyers remorse with the colour scheme.

They look so good.

C56Y0MSVAAU4M2e.jpg

C56ZULJU4AE8sSH.jpg:large

Couple of screenshots directly from the console of the patch being downloaded. Can't screenshot the eShop, but there's nothing to buy in it at the moment anyway. Just 5 games listed in the coming soon section too:

Shock Troopers
    World Perfect Heroes
    Splatoon 2
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    Arms

The update took about maybe 30-40 seconds, it felt like anyway, from it being completely downloaded to the console being usuable after a restart.

The eShop also loads within about 5 seconds through to the login screen. Nice and fast.

Posting screenshots is limited to Facebook or Twitter at the moment. Logging into Twitter gave a login email from a Safari device, whether that means anything to anyone.

I noticed in the settings that there's a option to turn on muting the tablet speakers if you unplug your headphones. Hadn't noticed it myself in any previews, but nice to see there's a choice there for if you're in a public place or not!
    Mr E wrote: »
    Damn you and your perfectly manicured fingernails. :)

Gotta look nice for the new love of my life now that it's come today :pac:

• Advertisement

What's your friend code?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

What's your friend code?

Friend codes. What a joke. I can't believe they are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Login with a Safari ID?

Like an Apple ID?

Or is this a new thing altogether?

What's your friend code?

Ah yes, just went to look for that stuff now after I saw Eurogamer mention it. Seems Nintendo aren't implementing a system to search by the User ID you were able to set up for your Nintendo account.

C56dguNUwAALXXw.jpg

I'll just post a screenie of my friend code too, in case anyone wants to add me if we all get started adding each other when everyone has it? Sorry if I'm not posting too many pics or they're too large or something, btw!

C56eKRZUwAA1v3e.jpg

Edit:
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Login with a Safari ID?

Like an Apple ID?

Or is this a new thing altogether?

I just meant that the web applet used to post screenshots to either Facebook or Twitter was seen as just a "Safari" device to Twitter's login security feature. Only posted the info in case it was of interest to someone, somewhere!

Ah jaysus. Did they not specifically say that this bull**** was behind us?

Friend codes... Ah jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Banjo wrote: »
    Ah jaysus. Did they not specifically say that this bull**** was behind us?

They did, I remember this quote from Reggie - “People have taken shots at us for that. The reality is, the way that online experiences have progressed, it’s an expensive proposition. The amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart — these big multiplayer games — is not a small investment. There are no friend codes within what we’re doing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Friend codes are back?.....
    dafuq?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

smokingman wrote: »
    Friend codes are back?.....
    dafuq?!!

I'm wondering is it possibly only for a while?

Hope it's not for the console duration...

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'm wondering is it possibly only for a while?

Hope it's not for the console duration...

Could be maybe a paid sub feature when that comes in? That way they can limit random people searching to adults, or adults who have paid for their kids. Or it might just be a feature implemented to everyone when they get the proper online system off the ground in the autumn.

Advertisement