Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

• 20-08-2020 9:30am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod Note 17/12/2020

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115636387&postcount=7396
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Mod: I have observed too much sniping included in some of the posts made in recent pages.

Please note posters should take care to ensure they are engaging with others in an actual discussion and not just posting to 'snipe' at the views other have presented. Posters should be making an effort to have a discussion if commenting on other posts.

Our charter notes that posters: should be prepared to argue cogently and coherently in support of your argument. Repeating the same point over and over again without addressing counter arguments is not advisable. It is your responsibility to ensure that you contribute in a positive manner, that does not mean you have to agree with everyone else but you must avoid deliberate disruption of the forum.

This post does not mean posts already made that appear as a breach of charter will get a 'free pass'. Posters are reminded that it is recommended to report any posts they feel are an attempt to disrupt.

Thank you also to the many posters who have engaged in positive discussion.

Mod Note: 19/11/2020
    Please do not make negative comments about supporters who have a preference for club football
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115348944&postcount=4796

Mod Note: 12 November 2020 Note: Cards are and will be given to posters who are only commenting on the validity of others posts.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115266785&postcount=4601

Mod Note: we have had enough of the extra letters in players names now in general threads. Anymore posts like that are not welcome as they are drawing a negative reaction instead of adding to the thread. It is easier to simply type a players name.

Example of not okay: JAAAAMESSSS RODRIGGUEEEZZZZ

Example of okay: Great stuff from James.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114820658&postcount=2287

Mod note re Harry Maguire Case:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114376187&postcount=76
    Update [27 August 2020] A thread about the case was set up and should be used for discussion rather than the general premier league thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107642

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1754980
    Premier League 2020/21 fixtures released

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53846138
    Champions Liverpool will face Championship winners Leeds United in the standout opening weekend game of the 2020-21 Premier League season.

Championship play-off winners Fulham will host Arsenal, while West Bromwich Albion, the third promoted side, are at home to Leicester City.

The opening round of fixtures will take place on the weekend of 12 September.

However, Manchester City v Aston Villa and Burnley v Manchester United will be rearranged.

Those two games will not be played on the opening weekend to give City and United 30 days since their defeats in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and the semi-finals of the Europa League respectively.

Chelsea and Wolverhampton Wanderers' opening matches are both scheduled for Monday, 14 September after their slightly earlier European exits.

The Blues are at Brighton, while Wolves go to Sheffield United.

The other opening weekend fixtures are Crystal Palace v Southampton, Tottenham Hotspur v Everton and West Ham United v Newcastle United.

Exact dates and kick-off times will be confirmed when the television selections are made. Matches will be played behind closed doors amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Fixture congestion incoming
    With the season starting a month later than usual because of the Covid-19 pandemic, the games will come thick and fast.

The upcoming campaign will be five weeks shorter than a standard season because of the late end to 2019-20 - and the winter break has been scrapped.

Arsenal and Liverpool meet in the Community Shield on 29 August, with players then going on an international break for the Nations League before the Premier League starts.

Manchester City v Aston Villa could be played on 15 September, with Burnley v Manchester United the following day - although that is yet to be confirmed.

Those are the dates Premier League clubs not in Europe enter the Carabao Cup at the second round.

Rounds two to four of that competition, which will involve top-flight sides, will be played midweek on 15-16, 22-23 and 29-30 September.

Spurs start Europa League qualifying on 17 September and could end up with two first-team matches in the same midweek.

There are rounds of Premier League games due on 26 December, 28 December and 2 January over the festive period.

The final league fixtures will be on 23 May 2021 - eight days after the FA Cup final.

The Champions League final is on 29 May, with the delayed Euro 2020 starting on 11 June.

2019/20 thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058082314

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thank goodness the football is back! :D

There are just 14 games before Christmas, the FA Cup is now a one match per round format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

There are just 14 games before Christmas, the FA Cup is now a one match per round format

What was it last season and previously?

Doesn't feel like a lot but prob cause we've had wall to wall football recently.

Hmm, maybe your implied point is correct.

edit 18 (17 for Liverpool and West Ham due to CWC) last season so 50/50 pre/post Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What was it last season and previously?

Doesn't feel like a lot but prob cause we've had wall to wall football recently.

It’s usually 18 / 19 games in the Stephens Day fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Our year was last year, I wonder what this year will bring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Things im looking forward to this year in this thread;
    • The table that does showing which team is on which points level (thats a bad description but you know the one)
    • Non-tribal bantz
    • PLENTY of Fulham chat (its mostly gonna be commiserating / slagging but sure what can you do)
    • Someone posts a pic of something we all agree with and we still find a way to debate it

Things im not looking forward to this year in this thread;
    • Net spend chat
    • My da' could beat up your da'; Manager edition
    • Someone saying the league isnt competitive for whatever convoluted reason (most lkely by matchday 2)

Are you dissing the most visually accurate way of representing the points?

Are you dissing the most visually accurate way of representing the points?

No, the opposite!

Doh it's early in my head. Its certainly good for an argument! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

from a quick review of the fixture list I can see the PL regrets giving Liverpool all those dodgy VAR decisions last year putting us away to Chelsea, Everton and Man city in the first few games. Unlikely to be over by Christmas this year.

Ill take those opening 3 matches (Arsenal H, Leeds A, Villa H).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

West Ham really got shat upon with the opening fixtures.

Newcastle (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Wolves (H)
    Leicester (A)
    Tottenham (A)
    Man City (H)
    Liverpool (A)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How the hell is the new season only 3 weeks away :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Fa cup has always been one match per round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Talisman wrote: »
    West Ham really got shat upon with the opening fixtures.

Newcastle (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Wolves (H)
    Leicester (A)
    Tottenham (A)
    Man City (H)
    Liverpool (A)

Ouch. All the big boys and Newcastle as well.

Edit: United not there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

brinty wrote: »
    Fa cup has always been one match per round

I assume he means no replays. Every drawn match goes straight to extra time and pens rather than a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭jacool

Right, that's my Last Man Standing schedule done up to Christmas and didn't have to pick West Ham or WBA :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

bit silly going back to normal tv schedule for the new season with empty stadiums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think City will win it this season with Liverpool second,

The big difference for me is no fans ,
    Anfield crowd will be a huge miss in big games for Liverpool ,
    City play with less emotion in there play and thus won't be effected as much,

That's my two cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭adaminho

Any idea when the tv schedule is out? I know Chelsea and Wolves games have to be on the Monday at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I think City will win it this season with Liverpool second,

The big difference for me is no fans ,
    Anfield crowd will be a huge miss in big games for Liverpool ,
    City play with less emotion in there play and thus won't be effected as much,

That's my two cents

Liverpool with the best away record for the last 2 seasons :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The big difference for me is no fans , Anfield crowd will be a huge miss in big games for Liverpool , City play with less emotion in there play and thus won't be effected as much,

I'm not disagreeing with you here but if a team needs fans to perform that's a pretty damning statement. Not levelling this at Liverpool it applies to all but I'm truly baffled if players can't do a job they're highly paid for because there's no one there singing or applauding them.

Claiming one team will perform better than another in the same circumstances is a bit of a stretch. Get a grip of yourselves. And the conditions are the same for everyone so there's no advantage.

As for this Anfield crowd means more. Don't make me sick. Every teams crowd is great when they're winning and poor when they're losing. You don't need to respond on this cos saying anything more, I've my views and you won't change them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

adaminho wrote: »
    Any idea when the tv schedule is out? I know Chelsea and Wolves games have to be on the Monday at the earliest.

I'm gonna take a guess that Liverpool v Leeds will be on the Friday night. Sky will be eager for that game, and to have it as the season opener.

It's PL Champions v Championship Champions, who are coming back after a long break from the PL, which will be a big selling point for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dubmick wrote: »
    bit silly going back to normal tv schedule for the new season with empty stadiums

Should reduce fixture congestion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭adaminho

Fitz* wrote: »
    I'm gonna take a guess that Liverpool v Leeds will be on the Friday night. Sky will be eager for that game, and to have it as the season opener.

It's PL Champions v Championship Champions, who are coming back after a long break from the PL, which will be a big selling point for them.

Is there a Friday game? I thought the season can't start till the 12th. Open to correction, I'm just glad I'm in the premier league thread after 16 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

adaminho wrote: »
    Is there a Friday game? I thought the season can't start till the 12th. Open to correction, I'm just glad I'm in the premier league thread after 16 years!

Oh possibly? Not sure if there is restrictions this year, but last season the opener was Liverpool v Norwich on Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

brinty wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing with you here but if a team needs fans to perform that's a pretty damning statement. Not levelling this at Liverpool it applies to all but I'm truly baffled if players can't do a job they're highly paid for because there's no one there singing or applauding them.

Claiming one team will perform better than another in the same circumstances is a bit of a stretch. Get a grip of yourselves. And the conditions are the same for everyone so there's no advantage.

As for this Anfield crowd means more. Don't make me sick. Every teams crowd is great when they're winning and poor when they're losing. You don't need to respond on this cos saying anything more, I've my views and you won't change them.

Your allowed your views ,

So if we take your view playing home or away is the same ?It gives no advantage ? as you said players are played to do the same job against the same opposition so conditions that match are played around should have no effect ?

You said "Claiming one team will perform better than another in the same circumstances is a bit of a stretch " what kind of nonsense is that of course you can claim that ? Isn't that why there are favourites and underdogs ?

Teams play a different kind of football and some are better at home than away, Its just a FACT ,

Countless world class players have mentioned because of the fans its one of the toughest places in world football , Even Pep said it countless times but there all wrong BRINTY knows best ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fitz* wrote: »
    Oh possibly? Not sure if there is restrictions this year, but last season the opener was Liverpool v Norwich on Friday night.

I do recall seeing something bout no friday game at start of this season. Even the whole thing about the press releases saying pl will return on the 12th would have me thinking it's the Saturday. A 7.45 Saturday kickoff would be perfect, imagine itll be 12.30 though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

An English football crowd is laughable describing it as a tough place due to the fans. I'd say Palace have the loudest fans in the PL but if you want a mad atmosphere look at the Turks or South Americans etc.

Pretty much all European football grounds would be more lively than English.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement