Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#SpeakOut - Sexual Assault Allegations Superthread

• 17-06-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Anyone else see the david Starr stuff on Twitter. Ott need distance themselves from him immediately

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

David Starr has been accused of emotionally and mentally abusing ex-girlfriends and raping one of those exes. It's all on his twitter where he's made statements apologising and talking about "grey rape". He's finished in wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,351 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    David Starr has been accused of emotionally and mentally abusing ex-girlfriends and raping one of those exes. It's all on his twitter where he's made statements apologising and talking about "grey rape". He's finished in wrestling.

what's that when it's at home ? Is this the David Starr who was going on about a union for wrestlers ?

Well you say finished in wrestling, but that's a fairly high bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone else see the david Starr stuff on Twitter. Ott need distance themselves from him immediately

And him the OTT World Champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Omackeral wrote: »
    And him the OTT World Champ!

Needs be stripped of the belt immediately. The more he tweets today the worse it sounds. If ott do nothing about it I will never support them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The odd public insinuating from Gabe and rumours of something along these lines in 2016 doing the rounds is the only time this stuff made it public. My sympathies are with the victims of course.

From a wrestling standpoint (even if, in the grand scheme of things that's a lot less important than sexual assault of any kind) it's awful timing for OTT. He's the main draw, face of the company and their comeback plans revolve around him. Awful timing with them really needing a big sell out show upon return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    what's that when it's at home ? Is this the David Starr who was going on about a union for wrestlers ?

Well you say finished in wrestling, but that's a fairly high bar.

I'd hazard a guess that, unless he likes the grannies, he's saying it is a grey area as to whether it could have been rape or not. Which is not something you should be having any doubts about if you aren't a scumbag.

Needs be stripped of the belt immediately. The more he tweets today the worse it sounds. If ott do nothing about it I will never support them again.

It's only an allegation at this point. Due process and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Pentecost wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that, unless he likes the grannies, he's saying it is a grey area as to whether it could have been rape or not. Which is not something you should be having any doubts about if you aren't a scumbag.

It's a term that came to prominence during the assault accusations against aziz anzari, to do with non verbal resistance and lack of consent, basically its a bull**** cop-out for people who know what they did was wrong but they don't want to call themselves rapists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_rape

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Innocent till proven guilty?

Have u read his tweets..he more or less admits to it all. His own tweets paint him In a bad light alot of promotions have already cut ties

• Advertisement

He needs be stripped of the title...theres no grey area in rape.its either rape or not. Hes nothing but a scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah he’s admitted it. If anything what he posted himself was way worse than what she said about him.

The Wrestling Observer reported this as him denying it. He wrote a 4-page note confessing and apologising to his ex about it, but to the Observer readers now who get their updates from there, he denied it all.

This is what I mean when I talk about the slant they put on their stories totally confusing the discourse in wrestling. Every time the story is “famous wrestler is accused of something by less famous woman”, the narrative is “they denied it so she’s probably lying.” Even when they actually confess. They did the exact same with Michael Elgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

He even continued with the gaslighting and victim blaming in his apology and the comments section after directly to his rape victim. Really horrible read

Yeah like even when he confessed it was laced with implications that she was lying. “I’m sorry that, even though we had sex multiple times that night and you said you loved it...” that kinda stuff that’s actually totally unnecessary if you’re actually apologising and remorseful. Like if you dispute it, dispute it. He wants to but obviously knows he can’t, so has to go this route, and is actually proving her point way more than what she’s said herself.

Having said that, it is interesting to see someone so high profile come to terms with the fact that they’re a rapist in real time.

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah he’s admitted it. If anything what he posted himself was way worse than what she said about him.

Exactly. He needs be removed straight away. Hes a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Just read his statement and jesus that was some high end spoofing with impressive mental gymnastics. Such was the level of spoof I swear I'd of read it on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I presume prison is on the cards for him as he's admitted to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He needs be stripped of the title...theres no grey area in rape.its either rape or not. Hes nothing but a scumbag

0129-mike-tyson-wwe-ex-1_crop_north.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&q=75
    Cody-Rhodes-and-Mike-Tyson-1286475.jpg?r=1590315293174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

The OTT world title has been vacated.

Always seemed a bit of an odd individual to me, even the character he portrays is weird, strange the Irish fans worshiped him so much. Be interesting to see lads who held him on their shoulders in the stadium distancing themselves now.

I can see a few tweets from wrestlers popping up from the past, ranging from Ryan Nemeth to Pete Dunne, where they hinted that Starr was a knacker and people are lapping it up.

Do these guys really deserve credit when they were aware yet did the sum of fcuk all to help Starr's victims? Maybe if one of them put their necks on the line and outright said what they knew, these women wouldn't have been tortured with the truth being denied for as long it has been.

Anyone who knew and said nothing, be it a performer, behind the scenee or some hanger on in the business, is complicit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I can see a few tweets from wrestlers popping up from the past, ranging from Ryan Nemeth to Pete Dunne, where they hinted that Starr was a knacker and people are lapping it up.

Do these guys really deserve credit when they were aware yet did the sum of fcuk all to help Starr's victims? Maybe if one of them put their necks on the line and outright said what they knew, these women wouldn't have been tortured with the truth being denied for as long it has been.

Anyone who knew and said nothing, be it a performer, behind the scenee or some hanger on in the business, is complicit.

Is it really their place to get involved, though? Some people just want to forget about things and move on. You can't just take it upon yourself to interfere with someone's livelihood on someone else's behalf, based on something from their private lives.

Is it really their place to get involved, though? Some people just want to forget about things and move on. You can't just take it upon yourself to interfere with someone's livelihood on someone else's behalf, based on something from their private lives.

That's grand, but if they didn't want to get involved they shouldn't be tweeting at all.

I probably went too far saying anyone who knew was complicit, it just angers me that these wrestlers who knew would tweet about it indirectly just for "social media cred" and to stroke their own ego.

Young OTT trainees etc obviously just didn't have the bravery of someone like you would have in that situation.

showpony1 wrote: »
    Young OTT trainees etc obviously just didn't have the bravery of someone like you would have in that situation.

Yeah I was harsh, I've said that already. Apologies for that.

People have called him out seen this tweet from may which either people didn’t see or ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

See the quote. Treat everyone the same! It is wrong on every level forever, not just in 2020.

Take notice of people in the game who say nothing or make mind bending statements ..... This is not just 1 person. You cheer alot of wrestlers who do similar.....

The Nal wrote: »
    0129-mike-tyson-wwe-ex-1_crop_north.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&q=75
    Cody-Rhodes-and-Mike-Tyson-1286475.jpg?r=1590315293174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

They where trainees etc doing a job, not fair of you to say anything about them

The OTT world title has been vacated.

Always seemed a bit of an odd individual to me, even the character he portrays is weird, strange the Irish fans worshiped him so much. Be interesting to see lads who held him on their shoulders in the stadium distancing themselves now.

They where trainees etc doing a job, not fair of you to say anything about them

I am always fair.
    it was the crowd holding him up in stadium - it's printed on a T-shirt.
    Probably a lot of backtracking now from people saying they never liked him all along.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Nonsense, I certainly will be the first to admit that the character and the entire angle between him, Walter, and Devlin was something I thought was fantastic - completely bought in to it throughout. But I'm not going to feel like I somehow am tainted by this, that me or anyone else should have known.

It's a bit weird how much people are reveling in this, best case scenario this guys career is down the drain and he spent a lot of time being an horrendous partner, worst case scenario this guy has assaulted women and done serious damage to peoples lives. Both option are dreadful.

So, I can only say that I think someone having a go at past fans who were fans of the character, angle, and/or even the person who he seemed to be is beyond petty.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Nonsense, I certainly will be the first to admit that the character and the entire angle between him, Walter, and Devlin was something I thought was fantastic - completely bought in to it throughout. But I'm not going to feel like I somehow am tainted by this, that me or anyone else should have known.

that's a perfectly fine stance to take - what's interesting is certain media now putting on their twitter they knew something was up with Starr before this broke, but i heard nothing but praise for him & his OTT run previously.

It is a pity for over the top rope wrestling as well as they've now lost that big match in Starr vs Moxley.
    They obviously can't do Devlin vs Moxley - so it'll be interesting to see which direction they go.

First time in a while they are potentially short of star power at main event level? (i.e. a match that would generate interest from US journalists).
    If they could get Osprey in to go for the title at a stadium show that would be great.

May be looking at all irish shows for a while though so could be Devlin(?), LJ Clearly, B Cool, Scott Davies, Martina (?) going for title.

Would have been nice to see how David's run was intended to end also.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

that's a perfectly fine stance to take - what's interesting is certain media now putting on their twitter they knew something was up with Starr before this broke, but i heard nothing but praise for him & his OTT run previously.

Let's think outside the wrestling box for a few moments. This is just the latest in a long line of situations involving the awful (and often criminal) behaviour of public figures. Sometimes great artists do questionable or awful things, or are awful people in their personal lives, Kevin Spacey, Michael Jackson, Roman Polanski, Chris Benoit, et cetera. Nobody knows where to draw the line between enjoying their art and admonishing the brutal things they've done. This is especially true when we're only used to seeing the good things they've produced, and not what they're like off-camera.

• Advertisement

May be looking at all irish shows for a while though so could be Devlin(?), LJ Clearly, B Cool, Scott Davies, Martina (?) going for title.

Wonder if anyone would notice if I Tweeted that I was coming for the title. :pac:

Let's think outside the wrestling box for a few moments. This is just the latest in a long line of situations involving the awful (and often criminal) behaviour of public figures. Sometimes great artists do questionable or awful things, or are awful people in their personal lives, Kevin Spacey, Michael Jackson, Roman Polanski, Chris Benoit, et cetera. Nobody knows where to draw the line between enjoying their art and admonishing the brutal things they've done. This is especially true when we're only used to seeing the good things they've produced, and not what they're like off-camera.

My post does not say that - I am agreeing that most were not aware of any of David's personal life. What i am mentioning is the twitter posters, who most will be familiar with here, retrospectively saying they always knew something was up with Starr after the fact, yet i saw no mention of that during his OTT run, praising him.

I do appreciate that you referred to our business as "art" though.

Wonder if anyone would notice if I Tweeted that I was coming for the title. :pac:

Are you a worker Insect?

What do people want people to say though? I’ve been vocal about feeling uncomfortable about David Starr like there was a massive bang of hypocrisy off him pretty much since he started the ‘We The Independent’ stuff. My show was one of the only ones that covered the Seb accusations and Starr’s weirdly suspicious response. What more could I do? Seb put up about him DMing a Progress trainee, what more could he do there? Are people not more culpable if they saw/heard all of that and said nothing, if we’re going to randomly assign additional ‘blame’ for crimes that none of us are guilty of? How guilty are the people that attacked anyone who said anything not overwhelmingly positive about Starr (of which there were many)?

But all of that is a witch hunt for the sake of a witch hunt. The only person who’s actually done wrong here is Starr. The rest of us are just human processing the news in different, but equally valid, human ways.

Here’s what’s at play in the real world beyond random online narratives:

- It’s possible to get bad vibes off people without knowing anything, but reckless to state they’re anything but that without evidence. I can only speak for myself but I feel uncomfortable and compelled to speak up if someone I get bad vibes off starts to get this overwhelming support like Starr does, like if I don’t say anything I’m just part of the mob if it turns out my suspicions were correct. I don’t expect to change others’ opinions but I can sleep better at night knowing I said something.

- If people did hear stories, they may have heard them 2nd or 3rd hand and don’t have nearly enough info to make them public without risking getting it very wrong and damaging an innocent person’s reputation or facing a lawsuit even if they got it right because they can’t prove what they said.

- Even if you hear stories directly from victims and have irrefutable proof, it’s not your story to tell! It’s not your decision to make their sex lives and history of abuse public!

- Lastly, it IS valid to feel happy that a bad person got caught. Do you feel positive when you see the likes of Harvey Weinstein or bad politicians get their comeuppance? That’s literally one of the most natural feelings in the world. The entire premise of the thing we’re all here discussing is based on people wanting to see good guys get the better of bad guys!

Are you a worker Insect?

Not yet. I'm hoping to start training soon. Still, I was only half joking about Tweeting my intentions. :D

That said, it'd probably be a lot safer to stay off Twitter altogether. It's mad seeing all the mistakes that people have been making on it, not least the guy who's "really good at Twitter"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not yet. I'm hoping to start training soon ...

Sadly I fear you may be waiting a long time. Doesn't look like any of the schools are opening up soon.

Sadly I fear you may be waiting a long time. Doesn't look like any of the schools are opening up soon.

I wonder if my brother still wants to practice sidewalk slams and Sharpshooters like we did in the 1990s. :pac:

Sticking with more serious stuff, it looks like the David Starr revelations have opened the floodgates. A lot of allegations are starting to come out about a lot of people in British pro-wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Debbie Keitel just posted somethin about another Irish wrestler on her Twitter. Fair play to her for being brave about it, sucks that another wrestler I like on the Irish scene turns out to be a complete bo***x. You can have a look for yourselves to see who it is, explains a lot.

Man, wrestling is weird.

Joe Coffey also being accused and a promotor in the uk. Also david Starr twitter is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just read a few stories about Marty Scurll. If there's any truth to them he's in deep sh1t.

brianblaze wrote: »
    Debbie Keitel just posted somethin about another Irish wrestler on her Twitter. Fair play to her for being brave about it, sucks that another wrestler I like on the Irish scene turns out to be a complete bo***x. You can have a look for yourselves to see who it is, explains a lot.

She says it's Alexander Dean.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Branching this off into its own thread, cause it feels as if this whole thing is developing rapidly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

So the accusation, effectively, is that he was an absolute prick to her? Am I reading it wrong or is there more too it?

The sheer amount of stories coming out is so shocking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bot43 wrote: »
    So the accusation, effectively, is that he was an absolute prick to her? Am I reading it wrong or is there more too it?

Who, Starr?

Starr has basically straight up admitted to raping her....

Devlin getting accused now too.

https://twitter.com/textbookglovers/status/1273731764222033924?s=21

• Advertisement
Advertisement