Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

A55A55IN8R wrote: »
    Does anyone have any opinions of Airwire versus vodafone 1 Gigabit fibre to the home? I'm not sure which provider to go for, since vodafone upped their first year price to 50 euro a month, it's not that much cheaper than Airwire. Plus airwire actually advertise their upload speed of 200 mbps, apparently provide a decent router and also advertise a decent contention rate of 16:1.

Think this is probably a typo on their website, all new customers on both OpenEirs and Siro's FTTH network get upto 100 Mbps upload not 200 Mbps (this is since 01/07/2020 so maybe they haven't got around to changing their website yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

Hi,

Unfortunately I didn’t get anywhere with Airwire as suggested by a previous poster, any advice for wireless options in Brosna area or where to look?

Many thanks,

Deborah

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

My broadband speed is 1.2mpbs at the moment .Service provider is Three , have been on to them and getting no joy. I have strong signal,and can get great speeds (for rural west cork 20Mbps) is there anything I can do with the router. Or is three slowing the speed or is something wrong with the Mast. The only other option is Imagine . Are they any good.? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

A55A55IN8R wrote: »
    Does anyone have any opinions of Airwire versus vodafone 1 Gigabit fibre to the home? I'm not sure which provider to go for, since vodafone upped their first year price to 50 euro a month, it's not that much cheaper than Airwire. Plus airwire actually advertise their upload speed of 200 mbps, apparently provide a decent router and also advertise a decent contention rate of 16:1.

If you're looking for the 1 gig connection with Airwire they seem to have some issues in some exchanges providing it

If you're happy to go for 500mb or below they should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Trix62

Can anyone recommend broadband options? I have read about Rocket and Carnsore on old threads. We have Sky TV. Can we get broadband through them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I'm with Sky (90 mb) and moving out, want to keep Sky in new house but I've been paying €55 and see they're offering €30 to new customers.

Has anyone ever 'haggled' with provider for better deal? Vodafone offering same up to 100 mb for €30 (anyone used vodafone?) . So I could tell Sky I'm just going to Vodafone but not sure if guy/girl over phone can cut deals?

when I threatened to quit broadband earlier in week (currently €55/m), they offered €42.50. They said this is halving their charge, when you remove the €30/m line rental charge.

Was considering Vodafone's €30/month offer, as will be using the same phone line (new Vodafone router), but not sure how good their custoer service is. REadinf truspilot, it seems to be be rubbish (but nobody is as bad as Eir!!).

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.vodafone.ie
    • Anyone anything +ve or -ve on Vodafone broadband over phone line? Maybe alot of -ve feedback is on mobiles or mobile internet.
    • I expect SIRO to be enabled to be house in coming months (lines are there, survey done a few montsh ago, so waiting till they enable it in estate). Anyone know what happens if I'm mid contract for 'standard' broadband, can/does the same provider just move you onto SIRO, if you sign up and pay any install fee for new line etc from Elec box at side of house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Is there any provider that isn't complete sh***? Ordered with Vodafone two weeks ago, they have given me two "appointments" for an engineer to come out and install and the engineers were no shows both days, contacted KN group myself then who do their installations and they told me they have no record of anything under my name or address.

Virgin Media are impossible to contact. Whether it is live chat or phone, I must have tried contacting them 5 times now and have yet to even get through to anyone.

Eir have by far the most negative reviews on this thread and elsewhere so can only imagine what they are like.

Really just want to get broadband installed ASAP now and would love to go with whoever can do it quickest. Based in Dublin 12, how long does it take for most companies to come out and install?

Didn't want to start my own thread but just wanted to comment here to share my woeful experience with Vodafone to date.

Rang and ordered with them on 6th August, was told installation takes a maximum of 15 days but usually is done within 3-5 days. Explained that I was moving into a new house and partner works from home and really needed it installed by 17th, they said sure no problem and would send me out an appointment for an engineer to call out soon.

Two scheduled appointments later (both no shows), 10+ phone calls with customer service reps, multiple messages on twitter and one conversation with a complaints manager I am still none the wiser about when this will be installed. They are masters in fobbing you off and telling you it will be sorted within X amount of time and then nothing is done. There have been times over the last two weeks where I have been outright lied to, asking where the engineer is and someone saying he will be there in the next 30 mins to an hour. I would not be advising anyone to choose them based on my experience and have read numerous comments on their facebook page with others reporting the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Anyone know how long it takes after street cabling is done for FTTH to become available? The telephone pole outside the house was replaced some months ago -- the guys who did it said it was in preparation for fibre. Then a fortnight ago, KN Circet guys were around, pulling new cabling through ducting and up the new pole to what looks to me like a fibre drop point ... something a bit like this:

Slack_Management_Brackets_1600x.jpg?v=1589386692

None of the online broadband checkers tell me there's FTTH in the area. If the new pole furniture is what I think it is, how long should it take? DLR / Dalkey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

typically 3-6 months.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Wow. Seems like a long time. I'd have thought they'd want to sign people up asap, but whaddo I know! I presume there's "logistics" I don't know about :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It was ~6 weeks on my street, but obviously YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

2 months here, they'll send people around to your door to sell it to you when it's ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Living in Adamstown, Lucan. Currently with virgin media for TV and broadband but the TV is definitely getting cancelled. Slow, clunky menus, poor picture on a lot of channels. Plus TV is shockingly poor now and I have an iptv anyway.

Obviously I'm keeping broadband and overall, virgin has been pretty good Internet. Just wondering if anyone else in the area uses another provider, just to weigh up my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭poker2k9

does anyone know what virgin media is like around the clancy quay, Islandbridge area is like? Thinking of moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Slack_Management_Brackets_1600x.jpg?v=1589386692

a fair few of these have been installed on the main route into Cobh , up as far as the river ferry crossing , the area was surveyed a few weeks ago by NBI , hopefully this is a good sign and they will connect me in the next year or so .

shamelessly borrowed photo from ps200306's post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Julez

Hi Guys,

Am currently on Virgin Media 500Mb internet paying €69 a month. Service is reliable to be fair, however, I think there is better value out there. My contract is up next month. Here's what I can tell: If I stick with Virgin and managed to talk them down to new customer deal best I could do is 500Mb at €684 for the year (1Gb at €870) for the year.

Below are the other options I have (includes any deals+instillation fee):
    Digiweb
    500Mb - €685 yr
    1000Mb - €760 yr

Sky
    500Mb - €410 yr
    1000Mb - €650 yr

Vodafone
    500Mb - €360 yr
    1000Mb - €480 yr

Anyone know the advantages of each, or are they all on the same network? I dont have Siro access. VF, Sky and digiweb all seem to be FTTH.

Vodafone Gigabit for €480 is by far the best value, but I've heard customer service is apparently not great, and I want something reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm switching from VM to VF. I've business broadband which is supposed ot have priority support and couldn't even get through to them to ask what sort of deal they can do to stay. I'm not too bothered about customer service as I reckon the savings far outweigh the need to rarely call CS. Most of all what is driving me is the upload speed increase from 30mb to 200mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Trying to second guess and anticipate when/if an alternate high-speed/high bandwidth provider will be available to me is getting frustrating :(

Sooner I can get away from VM the better, they are getting far too pricey for their service IMO.

On foot of SIRO doing works at the entrance to my housing estate this time last year, but only the 1st 8 houses being enabled.

Then KN Circnet running ducting and blowing fibre around the estate in early August for what I'd assume is Open Eirs FTTH.
    No sign of anything going live yet tho, and no update on when it might.

I left home today and turned onto the main road to be met with a crew from Lawless Civil Eng. Doing trench work and laying green 6"ducting mainly through grass but with a couple of inspection cabs and a few road openings too.

I know that LCE do a lot of work for VM but new ducting and cabs on what would already be a well served area with underground ducts and services in their ownership strikes me as odd?

The wait for FTTH continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Moving into a new apartment this weekend and it's the first time I've had to sort broadband myself. Looked on Bonkers.ie and most are coming in around €30p/m - will be avoiding Eir at all costs - does anyone have any experience with Pure Telecom or Digiweb?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Moving into a new apartment this weekend and it's the first time I've had to sort broadband myself. Looked on Bonkers.ie and most are coming in around €30p/m - will be avoiding Eir at all costs - does anyone have any experience with Pure Telecom or Digiweb?

Digiweb have a presence on boards and seem to look after their customers.

Need to check but I think they may have a cap on useage.

Don't know anything about Pure.

Eir's infra is spot on, They're grand as long as you dont need to talk to anyone which one setup you generally dont. I wouldnt be so quick to rule them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

PrettyBoy wrote: »

I was with Eir for a year and had no technical issues so no need to try and contact customer support. If it wasn't for a large price bump after 12 months I would have been happy to continue with them. I had a slight issue with them not recording the router being returned, but that was sorted without much drama by their chat function and was a case of them chasing me for payment because I cancelled the direct debit mandate, not me chasing them.

My current provider has great customer service, easily reached, but there have been technical issues I have had to enquire about so it's just as well the CS was good. It's been a case of bad customer service you don't need vs good customer service you do need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

isnt customer service in this country appalling !! you would swear they were doing you a solid favor by taking your money, as per a few posts above, Vodaphone fibre, so far, twice installation has been rescheduled, once on the day literally 45mins before he was meant to arrive,and yesterday, at 5.55pm for todays installation .. 1907 may as well not exist, when they called me yesterday and i complained they put me directly through to the care team,i was told no active connections so it would be picked up right away, 15 mins later i hung up.

farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I’m looking at getting broadband in this week, I had Virgin in my last place and it was reliable enough so I’d like to get them in the new place but their lowest advertised price is €45p/m for their most basic broadband on its own. I see Eir, Vodafone and a few others have deals for €30p/m. Has anyone called up Virgin and negotiated price or is it take it or leave it stance from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 patrick_10

Hi Folks,
    Hope this in right place.

I am just outside the distance for Fibre to home, but my nearest neighbour can get it (even though they won't use it). So my eircode is outside the map of fibre coverage.

Off the record, I was told if I pull in a fibre cable myself, then book installation neighbours eircode I can get it done - So does anyone know what the fibre line spec is and suppliers.? I have 700m to put in . Its clear overground and I have the equipment to do it (cherry picker)

I don't there is any other way around it?
    I need it for working from home, and don't fancy the satellite broadband options when I am so close to fibre to home.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

patrick_10 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Hope this in right place.

I am just outside the distance for Fibre to home, but my nearest neighbour can get it (even though they won't use it). So my eircode is outside the map of fibre coverage.

Off the record, I was told if I pull in a fibre cable myself, then book installation neighbours eircode I can get it done - So does anyone know what the fibre line spec is and suppliers.? I have 700m to put in . Its clear overground and I have the equipment to do it (cherry picker)

I don't there is any other way around it?
    I need it for working from home, and don't fancy the satellite broadband options when I am so close to fibre to home.

Thanks

If the person who gave you that info isn't a KNN installer who would be the one given the job, then I wouldn't go believeing that. If they were, then ask them for the cable spec. I have an offcut of the cable used for my install and although it's probably a standard product, it's specifically made to order for Openeir as it has 'openeir' printed on it along with the date and product codes. Again, I would have my doubts they would install a different product.

If you are on good terms with the occupant/s of the house that has the eircode then there are a couple of ways you could go if you can persuade them to let an installer do a legitimate install to their house.

If the house is in line of sight, then you can get a pair of narrow beam radio transceivers good for up to 10km at 500 Mbps. I would imagine they just plug into routers at each end, but they have to have line-of-sight to each other. The other way would be to get a private contracter to connect your fibre cable to the one in the other house and relocate the ONT (Optical Network Termina) to the other end of your fibre in your house.

This question might be better answered in the Rural FTTH thread where at least one regular is a KNN installer and others are more technically knowledgeable than me: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058028624

• Registered Users Posts: 14 patrick_10

Thanks for that, Will post on other forum now. I am not in line of site due to bend in road/hills etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scot

Looking for some advice. Daughter moving into new flat in Dublin 16. She needs a short term (probably 30 days) broadband connection for work before she gets properly connected with Sky late to mid November. No phone line at present. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

scot wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. Daughter moving into new flat in Dublin 16. She needs a short term (probably 30 days) broadband connection for work before she gets properly connected with Sky late to mid November. No phone line at present. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Use phone+data plan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scot

limnam wrote: »
    Use phone+data plan ?

sorry should have been clearer. Its to use with her work laptop. She's looked at 3 who do one month deals for about 30 euro and you buy the router which is about 60. Was wondering if anything else out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

I've a Cork city suburbs based question.

My contract with Virgin ends soon and we recently got Siro on my road which promises 1GB broadband.

I've always preferred Sky for tv but Virgin had best broadband. So I would stick with Virgin's tv/intetnet bundle

Now that Sky can equal their speed, is it a no brainer to swtich to Sky now?

Advertisement