Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac food recommendations

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

JayZeus wrote: »
    Plenty of GF food with dumb assed things like ‘modified wheat starch’ as an ingredient. Not completely GF at all! The other half was warned off anything like that as she’s reacted badly to it - coeliac and a really clean diet means just a tiny contamination and she has all the rotten after effects and lethargy. She couldn’t figure out what was going on until we carefully picked through the ingredients on a pack of supposedly gluten free Semper flour and there it was. She had no idea and I was just buying a reputable brand for GF labelled foodstuffs. Madness. On that basis I wouldn’t trust anything that has anything at all to do with wheat, no matter how modified or what the process.

The food list from Coeliac Ireland is great for this, regularly updated with things being removed and added to it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone here know anywhere in Dublin city that does gluten free pancakes?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hoping somebody can help with another restaurant recommendation, this time looking for something a bit fancy. Going to bring my wife (she's GF) out with Dublin or anywhere in town for a birthday lunch.
    I was in Etto recently, which I decided on based on another thread,, and that would be ideal. The food, style and atmosphere are perfect for me. But not sure they cater for GF based on small menu etc, I'll contact them and ask actually..
    In the meantime any similar places that would be GF friendly that you would recommend?

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone here know anywhere in Dublin city that does gluten free pancakes?

Lemon used to have a gluten free option.
    I haven't been in our near it lately to confirm if they still do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Hoping somebody can help with another restaurant recommendation, this time looking for something a bit fancy. Going to bring my wife (she's GF) out with Dublin or anywhere in town for a birthday lunch.
    I was in Etto recently, which I decided on based on another thread,, and that would be ideal. The food, style and atmosphere are perfect for me. But not sure they cater for GF based on small menu etc, I'll contact them and ask actually..
    In the meantime any similar places that would be GF friendly that you would recommend?

Not sure if this was for before all the closures now in place, but after googling Etto (I'm more into ethnic foods than traditional) - you could try Brasserie 66 on Georges Street. I've been once or twice, and they're great for GF, and it's a nice place too.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this was for before all the closures now in place, but after googling Etto (I'm more into ethnic foods than traditional) - you could try Brasserie 66 on Georges Street. I've been once or twice, and they're great for GF, and it's a nice place too.

Thanks.
    I was aiming for April. God knows what will be happening by then now.
    Cheers anyway. I'll get there eventually as well

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tamara25

The magi bags that you put chicken breasts into, is there a gluten free version of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

tamara25 wrote:
    The magi bags that you put chicken breasts into, is there a gluten free version of this?

I know you can buy the actual bags, they're made by Glad and you can get them in Dunnes. You could add your own gluten free spice mix but I don't know of any all in one

Thanks for your reply, I will check out those bags!

There is a really nice porridge bread receipe on the super valu website. For a gluten free bread it’s the nicest one yet. I can see myself making this alot in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hi folks sorry for gate crashing but just looking for a bit of help.. I am looking for a nice coeliac friendly macaroni? Looking for my mother in law for Christmas, so it best be tasty.. She mentioned she used to get one before and she loved it but sure did not get the name and looking online doesn't show a lot of macaroni options thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hi folks sorry for gate crashing but just looking for a bit of help.. I am looking for a nice coeliac friendly macaroni? Looking for my mother in law for Christmas, so it best be tasty.. She mentioned she used to get one before and she loved it but sure did not get the name and looking online doesn't show a lot of macaroni options thanks in advance

I got some in tesco earlier this year, it as pretty decent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah ok will try and check them out do you know what brand it is. Living in the west and tis pretty hard to get to a tescos but can keep it in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Bought some KitKat bunnies for the kids and was very surprised to see the gluten free symbol on the back! So I ate one myself.. not much water in it compared to a KitKat.. perhaps they're scared of frightening off the non coeliacs with the rice flour taste, but a lovely treat nonetheless!
    They're 2 for €1.20 in Tesco at the moment

Ms

Very quiet in here. Has anyone seen any gf mince pies in Lidl lately. They used to make lovely ones but I have not seem any in Lidl this year. They do have gf puddings do and they are dairy free too and Tesco do as well. Tesco also have gf and dairy free mince pies and Christmas cake. Aldi only have gf pudding and mince pies and Christmas cake.

Dunnes have nice ones the Goodness Grains Mince pies. They are yum. I have not seen any puddings or Christmas cakes in Dunnes this year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

@AMKC I got Lidl mince pies the other day, in the free from section. I think it was 2.79 for 4. They are lovely. Also gf panettone in a white box, with the regular Christmas stock. Also very good.

Ms

Awe very good. For some reason my local does not seem to have them.

I am in Dublin today do so will try Lidl here and see if I get lucky. Here's hoping.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cclaireadrianne5

thanks for advice

Advertisement