Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Youtube.

Options
  • 11-02-2017 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

This man earns more from two of these videos than you likely do in a week of hard work.

This gentleman made his millions from football.... not from playing it, not from analyzing it, not even really from playing a computer game... from opening god damn FIFA 17 packs and recording his reaction to it.

Anyone still want to defend capitalism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a disgrace Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I can be proud of my weeks hard work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So? Do it yourself and earn that money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Cameo

Capitalism enables people to set up their own businesses, it enables people to purchase as they wish with their hard earned money, so yes, I'm happy to defend capitalism. There is certainly greed and exploitation but I don't understand why some people living in (and availing of) a free market society make out that exploitation and greed are the only components which make up capitalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Cameo wrote: »
    Capitalism enables people to set up their own businesses, it enables people to purchase as they wish with their hard earned money, so yes, I'm happy to defend capitalism. There is certainly greed and exploitation but I don't understand why some people living in (and availing of) a free market society make out that exploitation and greed are the only components which make up capitalism.

Word up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Anyone still want to defend capitalism?

Capitalism? It's more like anarchism.
    anarchism

belief in the abolition of all government and the organization of society on a voluntary, cooperative basis without recourse to force or compulsion

Capitalism depends on a central authority (property rights) and is arranged along hierarchical lines (corporations).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

And you post them here & they get more views..

Kinda defeats your rant..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Capitalism? It's more like anarchism.

Capitalism depends on a central authority (property rights) and is arranged along hierarchical lines (corporations).

It's also all about manipulation.

People literally go to school to learn manipulation and practice it their entire lives thinking it's a legitimate job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

These channels appeal to teenagers.
    But you know what, if people are willing to watch? then good for them.

There's a lot of information floating around on the net about youtube demographics. Most users are teenagers who respond to "animated personalities" aka, over the top behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

These channels appeal to teenagers.
    But you know what, if people are willing to watch? then good for them.

There's a lot of information floating around on the net about youtube demographics. Most users are teenagers who respond to "animated personalities" aka, over the top behavior.

It's mental, my kids don't watch TV and never have, it's always been YouTube, the missus is the only one that watches the TV. New generation addicted to ipads and YouTube. Imagine the TV being portable to any location in your bag or pocket when you were a kid. Madness. And the fact you can watch what you want, whenever, none of this who shot JR tapes being flown into Ireland and being showed on the six o clock news ....then waiting for a week to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Probably a million odd watched the Late Late Show tonight and earned RTE tens of thousands. Is it the amount of money you find objectionable or the concept of success?

There's a lad on YouTube called "How to basic". He's got 8.7 million subscribers, he's about ~500 videos. I would encourage posters to have a look, especially the "cheese burger pizza" that's what the world seems to love these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭satguy

My Son gets about €40 per month from YouTube, and the same from Amazon each month.
    He is only 17, but teens these days know things we don't, and I can't remember the last time I saw him watch TV.

His Channel ...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSkGhhFq5DZLhYQf7atrig/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

satguy wrote: »
    My Son gets about €40 per month from YouTube, and the same from Amazon each month.
    He is only 17, but teens these days know things we don't, and I can't remember the last time I saw him watch TV.

His Channel ...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSkGhhFq5DZLhYQf7atrig/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

If your son is getting €40 per month for 1990 subscribers, that means the lad I quoted above is getting ~€180,000 per month? Have I got the maths right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭satguy

If your son is getting €40 per month for 1990 subscribers, that means the lad I quoted above is getting ~€180,000 per month? Have I got the maths right?

There is a guy in Athlone that is earning 8 Million a year, for just playing games.

This Guy
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jacksepticeye/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=p

Mostly based on ad views rather than subscribers from what I gather. That gaming stuff is probably a goldmine for ad revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

If you want to earn money. It's in the old Anti SJW vids. Click bait at its finest. You don't even have to believe in what you are saying.

It doesn't go on subscribers actually :)
    It roughly works out $1.50c for each 1000 views (Only a rule of thumb tho) But that is dependent on what genre your channel is or should I say what adverts will be display there. Like a video gaming youtube channel will display video game related adverts. While say a DIY youtube channel will display black and decker ads etc. Some pay more for others. The king of advertising spending is usually legal/insurance companies. So if you were pulling in a demographic of that you're 1.50c per 1000 views would be higher.

... I won't lie.... I am in the middle of setting up a YouTube channel :pac: I aint under no illusions of becoming a millionaire. Feck if you can earn rent money by just making videos then why not!

It roughly works out $1.50c for each 1000 views (Only a rule of thumb tho) But that is dependent on what genre your channel is or should I say what adverts will be display there. Like a video gaming youtube channel will display video game related adverts. While say a DIY youtube channel will display black and decker ads etc. Some pay more for others. The king of advertising spending is usually legal/insurance companies. So if you were pulling in a demographic of that you're 1.50c per 1000 views would be higher.

... I won't lie.... I am in the middle of setting up a YouTube channel :pac: I aint under no illusions of becoming a millionaire. Feck if you can earn rent money by just making videos then why not!

I wish you luck, PM me the chan if you set it up. If you have flexible morals maybe focus on click bait ? Easy money for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It's mental, my kids don't watch TV and never have, it's always been YouTube, the missus is the only one that watches the TV. New generation addicted to ipads and YouTube. Imagine the TV being portable to any location in your bag or pocket when you were a kid. Madness. And the fact you can watch what you want, whenever, none of this who shot JR tapes being flown into Ireland and being showed on the six o clock news ....then waiting for a week to watch it.

Same here. Worst, I'm the Mrs and I don't watch tv anymore. So much so, we've cancelled our Sky, and I haven't watched TV since the day of this very toilsome phonecall.

I would absolutely not begrudge Youtubers their money.
    It's a job. You can see the evolution of someone like Jack Septic Eye in retrospective videos, you can see the amount of work and learning involved along the way, how they self taught to the point where they appeal to so many youngsters.
    They were clever, and the ones making big money are talented and hard working. Fair fks to them.
    They replace popstars we used to look up to as teenagers, some of whom were on extravagant money too.

As a grown up it's been fascinating to see the shift in my kids (and myself and the Mr !) from TV to Youtube (and other platforms). A real societal change in a way. We're not willing to suffer TV programs simply because "there's nothing else". It's a great thing to not have to, imo.

• Advertisement

I wish you luck, PM me the chan if you set it up. If you have flexible morals maybe focus on click bait ? Easy money for rent.

Thanks man :)
    Seriously tho, anyone who is a bit tech-savy should give making YouTube videos a bash.

Thanks man :)
    Seriously tho, anyone who is a bit tech-savy should give making YouTube videos a bash.

It's easy, you need to be a personality.

In going to set up "how to basic Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Have very recently started a gaming channel myself and I have to say it's pretty enjoyable to work on it. I love to play games anyway, but I like the idea of having something to work towards and show for it in the end.

I'm focusing on speedruns at the moment if anyone is interested please drop by.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzbYc1AYBH4p-csJ5XRIlCA

It's easy, you need to be a personality.

Too right my good man :) Dial up the knob on the personality meter and record.
    But it's interesting to see just how many people are making a living from YouTube. It's quite insane. It really is a wild-beast of a website.

Doesn't seem very profitable,as a hobby fair enough,but as an income?? How many videos even get 10,000 views.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

me_irl wrote: »
    Word up!

You had to go and make a Cameo appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

satguy wrote: »

His Channel ...

Ive noticed that with my son he doesnt watch TV , I need to have a movie night just to watch the odd movie. TV stations are fcked in the future unless there will be lots of money in chairlift adverts. Frankly Im looking forward to when they pull the plug on outfits like RTE and the Irish Times.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Ive noticed that with my son he doesnt watch TV , I need to have a movie night just to watch the odd movie. TV stations are fcked in the future unless there will be lots of money in chairlift adverts. Frankly Im looking forward to when they pull the plug on outfits like RTE and the Irish Times.

Sad day for journalism in fairness. RTE have done some fantastic stuff in recent years.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Sad day for journalism in fairness. RTE have done some fantastic stuff in recent years.

The best thing to come out of RTE was reeling in the years, the rest is garbage.

Advertisement