Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The best thing to come out of RTE was reeling in the years, the rest is garbage.

The "opinion" articles on the RTE news site belong in a paper not from a state broadcaster.

The downside to YouTube is it fuels the nutjobs. Search ww3 and see what you get...

New world order, lizard people, Illuminati etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's mental, my kids don't watch TV and never have, it's always been YouTube, the missus is the only one that watches the TV. New generation addicted to ipads and YouTube. Imagine the TV being portable to any location in your bag or pocket when you were a kid. Madness. And the fact you can watch what you want, whenever, none of this who shot JR tapes being flown into Ireland and being showed on the six o clock news ....then waiting for a week to watch it.

Awe thats sad. They will never have the joy of sitting in a comfy couch looking forward to that weeks show with a load of snacks on the coffee table and then when it ends with a ''to be continued'' to joy of waiting a week to see what happens in the 2nd part. I am glad I grew up when TV was the main source of us seeing programs with the cinema for movies and not now. If I could have the world back like that again would I your dame right I would. Sure I watch You Tube for the odd trailers of films or a new series or the odd song and maybe some reviews but I could never watch a whole series on it I just find it very awkward.

I loved having to wait a week to see the next episode to a show and I still love it and do it now.

I think that part of the problem in todays world is everyone now expects everything yesterday especially the young. Whats wrong with a bit of patience if you don,t get to see it today or its not done today there is always tomorrow.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe thats sad. They will never have the joy of sitting in a comfy couch looking forward to that weeks show with a load of snacks on the coffee table and then when it ends with a ''to be continued'' to joy of waiting a week to see what happens in the 2nd part. I am glad I grew up when TV was the main source of us seeing programs with the cinema for movies and not now. If I could have the world back like that again would I your dame right I would. Sure I watch You Tube for the odd trailers of films or a new series or the odd song and maybe some reviews but I could never watch a whole series on it I just find it very awkward.

I loved having to wait a week to see the next episode to a show and I still love it and do it now.

I think that part of the problem in todays world is everyone now expects everything yesterday especially the young. Whats wrong with a bit of patience if you don,t get to see it today or its not done today there is always tomorrow.

The anticipation of the next episode of series such as The Sopranos or Band of Brothers etc was half the joy. Totally agree,it's like fast food and a leisurely restaurant meal.

This is what is wrong with YouTube..

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=EglOsfErtaE

A son destroyed his family for awards and money.

Watch the lot.

The game guy should be on shutter island, IMO..

That guy has issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Good point, I get it, but I have to say, my kids still have a sense of expectation, and the pleasure of waiting for things sometimes.

For example on Youtube, to stick to the theme, a gamer might promise to review a new game next week. Some shows are less frequent than others too (ie, not daily), and they await the next publication with the same trepidation as you waited for the next episode.

In life, nowadays, they await the arrival of an online order with the same impatience as we used to wait for a parcel in the post when we were kids, or something we might have had to order from the shop.

I've ordered my 11 yo daughter a box set of books on amazon to follow up the last one of her current box set... she's pacing herself not to finish the book too soon, and relishing the experience :D

I don't think all kids will consume immediately if things are available immediately.
    I see my kids switching off from a show to keep something for the week-end. I do it too, even with Netflix series for example, or a program you've recorded, or something on a TV channel Player. It's tantalizingly there, but you can tease yourself to wait, regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just been looking at http://www.socialblade.com there and quite a number of small channels I watch are making a decent buck. Good on them.

Interesting website, cheers.

Agree 100%

They can't do things for themselves. YouTube video on how to boil a egg is a good example..

Millions of views!! On how to boil a egg FFS!!!

prinzeugen wrote: »
    A son destroyed his family for awards and money.

That is clearly 'acting'.

Agree 100%

They can't do things for themselves. YouTube video on how to boil a egg is a good example..

You have to start somewhere. Hard boiled egg, no problem. If you want to have the perfect soft boiled egg, timing is everything ;)

My kids learn lots from YouTube. Little fellow is mad into the magic tricks, lots of videos with crafty tips to make your own props, I'm on strict orders to keep a plentiful supply of cardboard, toilet roll rolls, glue ... Daughter is into miniature making (like dollhouse paraphernalia), lots of videos on exactly that, she has made lots of accessories.

You have to give youngsters the credit for being as inquisitive as we were, and resourceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

NSFW

These are funny.
    Waterford lads using Skype
    https://youtu.be/aOlNm5WgxF8

If you watch just one more see Jayo gets lifted

https://youtu.be/E2dg6dzTkuE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

There's a lad on YouTube called "How to basic". He's got 8.7 million subscribers, he's about ~500 videos. I would encourage posters to have a look, especially the "cheese burger pizza" that's what the world seems to love these days...

All that mess and waste he makes would drive you to drink if you had to clean it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Robsweezie wrote: »
    All that mess and waste he makes would drive you to drink if you had to clean it up

I agree, once you have one video, you've seen them all. That's the point, how does he's get millions of views for each video and 8.7 million subscribers. It's not interesting, just same shíte over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Toned down the nonsense?

In the past few days/weeks he's had videos with captions about giving girls AIDS, "Why I don't play videogames anymore", "I will delete my channel when I reach 50mill", "Pewdiepie is a racist?", Pewdiepie is anti-Semitic? (by paying people to hold up such a banner).... then he goes and explains how it's actually not offensive at all and he's actually quite a cool and funny guy. And it's not overly sensitive people getting upset, it's just that he's doing all these things for attention. Putting guns in his videos. If anything he's been getting worse, with the most clickbait of all lately.

OK fair point about those videos. I was referring to the lack of games playing videos where he is screeching and shouting at the camera and babbling incessantly. But he seems to have picked up Resident Evil 7 lately so that theory is out the window!

Are you talking about the one on forced positivity? I agree that was good, it's not like he's real himself. What people don't understand is that when you get that big on youtube and it becomes that much of a job, it's gets to be all formula for views. There's no humanity behind what he does, it's all robot-like analysis and calculation, all to get views.

Yeah I think it's good that he is changing his output a bit though and as the biggest youtuber there is, the fact that he is just asking these questions about the nature of the medium is a good thing.
    He could just keep churning out nothing but lets plays for kids where he screams his way through some awful browser games and the $$$ would just keep rolling in regardless.

I would like to see what would happen if he changed tack completely and used his channel as an experiment so see how far his fandom will take him, the more he moves away from what got him to where he is.
    I highly doubt he will ever do anything like that though. Despite the fact he's set for life and is a guy who likes to live modestly, like all good little entrepreneurs, his only focus is really the bottom line, so I fully expect him to be there, doing similar stuff for as long as he has an audience for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I agree, once you have one video, you've seen them all. That's the point, how does he's get millions of views for each video and 8.7 million subscribers. It's not interesting, just same shíte over and over.

Partly from reading this thread, I'm thinking a lot of his subscribers might be young kids aged 4-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT used to be older people saying what this pop music,rock and roll about, thats not real music.
    Now people criticise youtubers for making trivial pointless videos.
    It takes talent to make videos every week, edit them, play a game and be funny or entertaining.You need to know about the game and be able to talk about it, while you play it.
    Youtube will be around in 50 years ,as it serves anyone who wants to upload videos and can reach even a small audience.
    It would not be possible to make a tv program about all the weapons in counterstrike or call of duty.
    Youtube has space for videos, aimed at a very specific audience.
    Theres people that just play old games from the 80s,and 90s.
    No one predicted 10 years ago there would be people making a living just playing games supported by viewers and donations.
    Its like tv channels that just show baseball or golf ,its of no interest to me ,but theres an audience for it.
    Fifa is a very popular sports game.
    So of course theres people who make video,s about it.
    People criticise pewpewdie etc most of his viewers are young teens ,
    he does not expect 30 year old men to watch his videos.
    alot his videos seem pointless or stupid to older people .
    It,s like music every generation makes its own music and media .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Youtube is a worthwhile site for making a career for yourself.

My cousin from Athlone has a Youtube channel doing magic tricks for a few years. He has a talent in it because he had to train hard to make a career out of it since he was a kid.

His channel link is here if you want to check it out

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbmEQ8a1YFc1fc4IU0SbHxA

He is brilliant doing them now. A lot of his tricks are amazing to watch.

Partly from reading this thread, I'm thinking a lot of his subscribers might be young kids aged 4-11.

:eek: I understand now why you guys seem so annoyed at Pewdipie and all that. Of course their audience is that young, I thought it was obvious to everyone ! I think you can go maybe a bit up, maybe 4-13/14 years olds ?
    My 2 are 9 and 11, so right into it.

These videos are just replacing the kids' Den type programs, the Saved by the Bell type TV series, etc.... and of course all the boy/girl bands and other commercial type music.

I notice my kids don't really listen to much outside of gaming/youtube videos. The Undertale soundtrack is huge in my house, as well as all the Pineapple Pen and "I play Pokemon Go" horrors.

The older one is just getting out of that phase, finding out other music for herself, away from games and all that, but I know youngsters in first and second year in secondary school whose repertoire is still mostly Youtuber sourced.

I think if PewdiePie, Jack Septic eye and such need to change, it's only to follow the cohort of viewers' evolution into teenage years, thus the thick and often judgemental approach :p

:eek: I understand now why you guys seem so annoyed at Pewdipie and all that. Of course their audience is that young, I thought it was obvious to everyone ! I think you can go maybe a bit up, maybe 4-13/14 years olds ?
    My 2 are 9 and 11, so right into it.

These videos are just replacing the kids' Den type programs, the Saved by the Bell type TV series, etc.... and of course all the boy/girl bands and other commercial type music.

Don't go overboard. There's a massive difference between pewdiepie and that guy just throwing things around.

Despite my thread, I'm over 30 and pewdiepie actually is okay sometimes, mostly in an ironic way, he can be funny. The non-gaming ones can be fun for the few minutes they take... much better than many of the excruciating comedy shows on tv. While I'm not exactly rushing to watch "fridays with pewds", at least he's got something respectable sometimes. Same with for example ksi. I didn't put them down as examples.

What I'm talking about is all the clickbait, stupid money, and how it shows a real failure of capitalism to reward the right people.

Also the guy throwing things around, we have no idea what that is doing to children's attention and brains. There's something sinister about tapping into children's instincts like that, individuals who don't understand what's going on and have no idea of the ways they're being manipulated.

Don't go overboard. There's a massive difference between pewdiepie and that guy just throwing things around.

I didn't put them down as examples.

What I'm talking about is all the clickbait, stupid money, and how it shows a real failure of capitalism to reward the right people.

Also the guy throwing things around, we have no idea what that is doing to children's attention and brains. There's something sinister about tapping into children's instincts like that, individuals who don't understand what's going on and have no idea of the ways they're being manipulated.

I thought you did put them down as examples, well Pewdp anyway, you have him in your OP ?

Of course there's clickbait and stupid money being made, doesn't that go with everything ? Isn't there always impostors offering substandard services or goods while better outfits are not rewarded, even in real life ? You know, like the Dealz etc... selling cheap China merchandise, while some small shops selling good quality stuff struggle ?
    There's a market and a moment for the cheaper/stupider stuff I guess.

I don't know who the guy throwing things around is, as the link I tried to click on thread didn't work.

Certainly there's questionable stuff online, that's why I keep a close eye on what my kids watch, and make it my business to know what they gravitate to. Sometimes they watch something with a lot of sexual references, or Pewdp goes overboard with the language, so I steer them away, or we have a quick word about it like : "I wish Pewdie didn't use this language all the time, what do you think ?" or I just tell them I think it's not very suitable for their age, and off they skip to another video or youtuber. I like a lot of their favourite youtubers too, a lot of them are genuinely funny, or simply entertaining, even for an empty enough topic.

I don't think I'm an exceptional parent, I'm sure lots of other parents tamper the craziness of Youtube too by talking to their kids about it, and make sure they keep an eye on the content.

My kids reckon a certain Mr Beast is very mean to people/kids, and he's always talking about killing himself, so they've stopped watching. I guess they did watch for a while so they clocked a few bobs for him, but they don't subscribe. I'd suspect some of these guys' success will be very short lived.

• Advertisement

I thought you did put them down as examples, well Pewdp anyway, you have him in your OP ?

That's not pewdiepie and nothing like his videos. Also I said in two short videos that guy makes more than the vast majority do in a week, whereas with pewdiepie it's more like... over a year? Wish I was kidding.
    Of course there's clickbait and stupid money being made, doesn't that go with everything ? Isn't there always impostors offering substandard services or goods while better outfits are not rewarded, even in real life ? You know, like the Dealz etc... selling cheap China merchandise, while some small shops selling good quality stuff struggle ?
    There's a market and a moment for the cheaper/stupider stuff I guess.

I agree those are dumb as well. But it's not at quite the same level, at least they're delivering some sort of value.
    I don't know who the guy throwing things around is, as the link I tried to click on thread didn't work.

Certainly there's questionable stuff online, that's why I keep a close eye on what my kids watch, and make it my business to know what they gravitate to. Sometimes they watch something with a lot of sexual references, or Pewdp goes overboard with the language, so I steer them away, or we have a quick word about it like : "I wish Pewdie didn't use this language all the time, what do you think ?" or I just tell them I think it's not very suitable for their age, and off they skip to another video or youtuber. I like a lot of their favourite youtubers too, a lot of them are genuinely funny, or simply entertaining, even for an empty enough topic.

I don't think I'm an exceptional parent, I'm sure lots of other parents tamper the craziness of Youtube too by talking to their kids about it, and make sure they keep an eye on the content.

My kids reckon a certain Mr Beast is very mean to people/kids, and he's always talking about killing himself, so they've stopped watching. I guess they did watch for a while so they clocked a few bobs for him, but they don't subscribe. I'd suspect some of these guys' success will be very short lived.

Great but you can't watch them all the time, it's just this unequal relationship that's unsettling.

That's not pewdiepie and nothing like his videos. .
    Oh I see, apologies, I hadn't clicked on the video. One fair haired and eyed guy making a face looks like the next fair haired guy to me.

He's not great alright, harmless enough though. Still, his videos are work. It's like an artist doing a gig : they go on stage for 2 hours, and may very well make more than someone else makes in a week or two. And way beyond, for more successful artists. Youtube is more in the "artistic" realm than in the "services" realm, wouldn't you agree ?

I know what I'm talking about : Mr M is a professional musician. He makes much, much more than what I make in a month in one gig sometimes (depends where you perform, in Ireland or out, etc...).

When I'm having a tough week I think it's unfair (I have a tough enough job), but he has his tough weeks too, and I see all the work and personal investment and involvement that goes on before and after a gig. Plus, his income is very unreliable.

For this silly video, that guy presumably had to research and purchase, or if approached by the companies, he had to select and order. For all you know, he's acting it all out, after a full rehearsal of every single item he opens. He probably has decked out the room he's in for the purpose of shooting videos, and has obviously purchased lighting and other gear for recording. He has commissioned someone to design a logo and an intro for him, or done so himself. His appearance required some preparation. He has performed then edited his video, and in between videos, he's more than likely going to research some more, liaise and make decisions and plan ahead his next videos. He's probably going to purchase items of clothing to use in the videos, get his hair done for video appeal, his face and his nails too by the looks of it. He obviously works on his diction and fluency, and communication skills, and uses them to the best of his ability to perform soliloquies of approx 7-10 minutes from what I can gather.
    I agree those are dumb as well. But it's not at quite the same level, at least they're delivering some sort of value.

You can't diminish the work that is put into it, this guy is not a complete amateur just filming himself in his bedroom or backyard, he's obviously on his way to a polished performance. The audience is obviously finding value in it since they're subscribing and watching. Just like people going to a gig, or buying a painting. We might not always agree on the value, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Agree 100%

Whats your complaint? it's not taught as a matter of course so people will look it up? society's changed where we're not transmitting information the way we used to, im sure you've never googled anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Hydraulic press channel anyone? there was a left wing approach that payed off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

J Mysterio wrote: »

I saw that Twitter unverified him. I need my son to keep me up to date on this guy. I thought the anti semitic thing was just a joke

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

rex-x wrote: »
    Hydraulic press channel anyone? there was a left wing approach that payed off :D

I prefer the slo mow guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kammallow1984

It's a perfect comment about the state that our culture is in.

The reason why these guys are earning that much from those ridiculous videos is because they are so popular and google targets their ads to show before and during them.

But it is us that make watch them - so make them popular.

So what does it say about our cultural needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

The reason why these guys are earning that much from those ridiculous videos is because they are so popular and google targets their ads to show before and during them.

When I was a wee lad, gaming (ok, comparatively speaking) used to be a much more having the craic with other lads social kind of thing; multiple controllers and cans, FIFA 20whateveritis and some indie rock arse band music all the way. There's a massive community feeling to gaming; it's not just the fat loner lad with the Cheetos on World of Warcraft who can't see his feet.

I've never been into playthroughs, but I imagine the demand for this kind of content is due to the increased atomization of people in society, especially among the young; that you have this great gaming hobby but you've no one to share it with or talk to with. Who is there to live vicariously through? You lonely lad you!

Pewdepie is the friend yous never had. He talks shìte, you talk shìte back.

People talk about these guy like its Idiocracy, decline of culture and the arts, how a lad should wear a monacle and listen to Tchaikovsky.

I think it's much worse than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Cameo

It's not a universal thing though - mostly just a generational thing I'd say.

Advertisement