Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Private Numbers'

1234568»

Comments

No obligation to interact further with somebody on the phone either. Simply say "no thanks, not interested", and end the call.

Not answering is more efficient. Especially when you’ve a message service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

No matter now smart you think you’ve made yourself sound with all that, the facts have been stated so you’re wrong.

Self fallation doesn’t make someone right.

????

I asked a question whether you and others might be over or under the age of 40. You came back with a statement that said something else completely, and ignored the actual question. So the relevant fact(s) to answer the question have not been stated at all.

And I can't be as smart as you seem to think that I like to think I am (if you know what I mean), because that term "self fallation" means nothing to me. All I can think is that it might be an incorrect spelling for a different act altogether. And I don't see what relevance that particular act would have here either!

Especially when you’ve a message service.

I don't understand this either.

Let's say you see an incoming call is from a private number, so you don't answer it. A short while later, your phone beeps to say you've a new message. You now have the extra effort of having to retrieve that message before deciding whether or not you want to talk to that person. And if you do want to talk to them after all, you've now got the further extra effort of having to call them back.

Seems a lot more efficient to me to just answer the phone in the first place and get it over and done with, one way or the other......

I don't understand this either.

Let's say you see an incoming call is from a private number, so you don't answer it. A short while later, your phone beeps to say you've a new message. You now have the extra effort of having to retrieve that message before deciding whether or not you want to talk to that person. And if you do want to talk to them after all, you've now got the further extra effort of having to call them back.

Seems a lot more efficient to me to just answer the phone in the first place and get it over and done with, one way or the other......

Because you can listen to a message with zero interaction with some **** and then make a decision whether to call them back or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not answering is more efficient. Especially when you’ve a message service.

It is.

I’m under zero obligation to answer a call if I don’t want to. If somebody calling is ‘hiding’ their number my obvious presumption is that it’s hidden with a particular intention...that I will or may not want to talk to them if I know who it is so I am being denied that advance knowledge.

It’s disingenuous as fûck hiding your number. I NEVER answer hidden numbers. I will decide myself who I interact with, whom I shall give time to.... After not answering and a voicemail is left or a txt / WhatsApp follows... “hey it’s Sean from the gym, Tim gave me your number I’m wondering if you are playing football tonight ?”... my reply... “hi Sean, sorry as a rule I never answer hidden numbers but yes I’ll be there, if that’s an issue in future, just WhatsApp me”.

Like I said was getting calls out of hours from work and they were hiding numbers to try and get us to answer queries, we weren’t paid to be on call but when it’s happening every second night, you ARE on call ! Not happening.

Strumms wrote: »
    It is.

I’m under zero obligation to answer a call if I don’t want to. If somebody calling is ‘hiding’ their number my obvious presumption is that it’s hidden with a particular intention...that I will or may not want to talk to them if I know who it is so I am being denied that advance knowledge.

It’s disingenuous as fûck hiding your number. I NEVER answer hidden numbers. I will decide myself who I interact with, whom I shall give time to.... After not answering and a voicemail is left or a txt / WhatsApp follows... “hey it’s Sean from the gym, Tim gave me your number I’m wondering if you are playing football tonight ?”... my reply... “hi Sean, sorry as a rule I never answer hidden numbers but yes I’ll be there, if that’s an issue in future, just WhatsApp me”.

Like I said was getting calls out of hours from work and they were hiding numbers to try and get us to answer queries, we weren’t paid to be on call but when it’s happening every second night, you ARE on call ! Not happening.

Exactly. Your money your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I've always wondered why you can block your number for a call but not a text.

I never use private number btw.

So what's "self fallation" anyway????? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

So if that's your reasoning, can I infer that you don't trust yourself to be able to sniff out a scam if somebody tries one out on you? So therefore you avoid all calls from private numbers on the off-chance that it might be somebody about to try a scam?

You'd better not open any emails then either. Scammers try to catch people out that way too. And before you say "but I can see who emails come from", it's relatively easy to make emails appear as though they've come from somebody who didn't actually send them at all.
    No of course I can sniff out a scam, its just easier to avoid answering. Although I very rarely get calls from private numbers. It's usually calls from west African numbers or stupid surveys. You get enough of those after a while and you're going to be skeptical. If its someone genuine that needs to get in touch with me they can just leave a voicemail, but that would be seldom enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't answer private numbers, because the vast majority of people I know text rather than ring. Just easier. I'm a bit anti-social these days, and I actually hate phonecalls anyway, too much rambling and the message can be lost then. Text: literally in black and white (or whatever mad colours you've set your phone) so can't be lost.

As someone said above, companies shouldn't be calling from private numbers, so when I see a private number I'm wary. Why are you hiding your number? To stop people calling maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

Who knows what mystery and adventure await - answer the call.

Who knows what mystery and adventure await - answer the call.

This makes it sound exciting..
    But I know when I actually answer it'll just be some dude trying to get me to invest in cryptocurrency in broken English..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The mystery will be in finding out what nuisance of a person you’ll end up being stuck dealing with, who is trying to sell you shït you haven’t the slightest interest in buying, which of your line managers in work is ‘desperate’ as John called in sick, Linda is away in Spain and Paul forgot to take his medication and is all upset with the dog for not talking to him and can you PLEASEEEEEE just come in for 6 hours.... NO

I’d rather pick and choose who and what gets answered, hidden NEVER gets answered..

This makes it sound exciting..
    But I know when I actually answer it'll just be some dude trying to get me to invest in cryptocurrency in broken English..

Might just be someone with an unlisted landline number.

Maybe an old friend, or a wrong number by someone in mortal danger.

Maybe a fit bird or handsome fella ... who knows!!!

Might just be someone with an unlisted landline number.

Maybe an old friend, or a wrong number by someone in mortal danger.

Maybe a fit bird or handsome fella ... who knows!!!

That's what I sometimes think.. but then it's some Indian lad..

• Advertisement

That's what I sometimes think.. but then it's some Indian lad..

Maybe the Fates are are bringing you together....:p

Advertisement